Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows (Spoilers blacked out)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadly Assassin

289976 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Plus, Slughorn WAS slytherin so maybe Voldy didn't have too much desire to kill him and Voldy's spells were, at that time, supposedly neutralized.

I think it all comes down to this: I found the book to have good plot, but the detail seemed to be missing. Though things like Voldemort saying nothing cool at the end and Snape saying nothing but "ahhh" might be considered "realistic," but I can't help feeling annoyed about it. Things that would save the plot came out of no-where:

"What? The deluminator showed Ron where they were... okay" and "What? So the sword is at the bottom of a freezing pond showed to Harry by a doe patronus".. "What? So Snape sent the doe... but why was the sword at the bottom of a pond?" .. "What? Harry said Voldemort's name... what an idiot." and especially "What? Harry was hit by Avada Kedavra but is alive... again?" .. "What? Harry is all 'you just forgot one thing Tom, I am the master of the Elder Wand'" .. "What? Voldy dies in a FLASH of green light and his dead body is just lying there... no doubt they throw it into the forest or something." "What? No special ending, just Voldy dead, then epilogue." "What? Epilogue is written in somewhat interesting style, but seems very simple and gives almost no information."

And many more. I don't remember feeling such "what moments" when I was reading the other books. Any plot holes were small enough that I didn't worry about them. I do feel bad complaining about the last book, but honestly, she should have worked hard to make this the most polished and perfect book of all. Instead, she jumbled all of her ideas together and then turned it in. There were lots of parts I liked, and I'm not saying that the book is bad, but I'm disappointed at the disbelief that I can't help feeling. The old "I am completely aware that I am reading a book now" feeling that one wants to avoid. I'm sure she is quite tired of writing Harry Potter, but I don't see why she couldn't work a little harder, especially on the ending.

Chief of Hot and Steamy Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Mitsuba + Godwin Avatars Unite- Sports
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Deadly Assassin,

1. The sword was at the bottom of the pond because it was supposed to be somewhere where Harry could take it by showing his valor. After finding out Harry's location, Snape put the sword somewhere close by so that Harry could get the sword as instructed by Dumbledore.

2. Harry saying Voldemort's name was not that ridiculous. It was done accidentally when he was frustrated, obviously that he wasn't thinking properly. The thing about Harry is that he's a protagonist that is far from "perfect". Saying Voldemort's name that is Taboo is one of those "mistakes" that he made as a character.

3. Harry not dead by Avada Kevadra is pretty obvious. The point of his "death" is the death of Voldemort's horcrux, and not Harry's real death anyways.

4. As for no special ending on Voldemort's death, well I find it very reasonable as the end of the book is meant to be conclusive because it's also the end of the whole series. Once Voldemort is dead, the focus is not "what happened to Voldemort's corpse?", the focus is simply "what happened to everyone else who survived?" and this was shown quite well with the thing in the Great Hall.

5. While the epilogue could've been far longer if J.K. Rowling wanted to, keep in mind that the epilogue was just meant to be somewhat of a closure. It's not meant to be "Where are they now?" chapter. Also remember that the whole thing is told from Harry's point of view, so therefore the things mentioned in epilogue can only be things that Harry witnessed at that particular moment. Considering that it was only on the train station, it gave enough information (e.g.: Harry married Ginny and had 3 kiddoes, Ron and Hermione married and had 2 kiddoes, Draco had a boy named Scorpius, Neville becoming a professor, etc). "Where are they now?" chapter would definitely be good, but it'd be far weirder if Harry went to see everyone in that short epilogue.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that Snape chose not to resist his death at the end because remember what he asked of Dumbledore.

"To not let anyone see the good in you?"

He was content with being hated by Harry, because Harry seemed to be following in James' footsteps which made Snape hate him. Who knows, if Harry had been more like Lily, Snape could have been a secondary god-father.

Best Ending Evar! would be Snape lives, and becomes Draco's and Harry's new god-father.

Which leads me into my next rant: Draco.

I didn't like the way the Malfoys were done in this one, they seemed weaker (and I'm including Bellatrix in this). Draco didn't show that teetering on the edge of good and evil he showed at the end of the 6th book. He was just like "Oh, well it might be them." and "Oh noes I must run to my family to survive and even double-cross the people who just saved me to do so."

So bleh.

Overall opinion: 2nd favorite of the series. Favs go (Best to Worst) 3,7,6,5,4,1,2

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those who wanted a more expanded epilogue should just wait for the encyclopedia that Rowling said she was planning to release using all the notes she has on all characters and the world she created. Most book series this large usually have them included as appendices like Tolkien did with the Lord of the Rings, but some authors release a massive encyclopedia detailing everything about the books. So, those characters some think got ignored by not getting a "where are they now?" entry will probably get their fill from such a book.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, she's releasing an encyclopedia? That's excellent news! There's not really room within the scope of Rawling's story to tell us everything about everyone who existed, and the various things that happened to them... and I could stand a little more back story just to fill in some blanks.

I'll be stoked to read it.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just started reading this the other day because I had a 3 hour drive and I just got the book. I'm done about 6 and a half chapters and it's already pretty intense. I'm being absorbed into the world again. My only qualm is that I didn't reread the rest of the series, even if I remember most of the main events.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished it by yesterday, and although It's my number two favorite so far, the list of people dead in the final battle is just ridiculous. (Not to mention, Voldermort's death was just too simple.)
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A tad of epilogue tidbits

For those wondering what profession Harry, Ron and Hermione have for themselves during the epilogue...

Harry and Ron have joined and been working in the Auror Department of the Ministry of Magic. Harry is actually head of that particular department. Hermione has taken a position in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

J.K. Rowling mentioned these little tidbits during her interview on NBC's The Today Show.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/ (don't click if you don't want to read spoilers)

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just want to say that page 3 of this topic is the greatest page this board will ever produce. It will never be dethroned.

Er... on topic... I'm going to start the book soon. Just so you all know that. It's critical information.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I find it a bore. It's one of the bad purchases I've ever done. I wish I can trick a dolt to buy my used copy but almost every pothead I know has a copy already.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It looks like with one movie left in the franchise the search for the right director to helm the final book is now being conducted. One person whose name has once again resurfaced and who I think would be perfect for the final film in the franchise is Guillermo Del Toro. He was offered in the past a chance to do some of the earlier films, but turned them down due to scheduling conflicts and the stories not being dark fantasy enough for his sensibilities.

With the movies having become progressively darker since Alfonso Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban I think it's just about the perfect time for Rowling and Warner Brothers to offer this final film to GDT to direct. I can't think of any other filmmaker currently living who can handle dakr fantasy as well as GDT. I know GDT has in the past intimated that he would jump at a chance to direct a Harry Potter movie if it meant he got to kill Harry.

So, anyone else think the director of dark fantasy films like Pan's Labyrinth, Cronos and the Devil's Backbone would be the perfect person to direct Deathly Hallows. Or is there someone else who should be offered the job to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: