Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows (Spoilers blacked out)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Those who have been reading the series right from the beginning and have put quite an emotional investment on how the story and characters play out the final moments of the story I wonder what you feel about the series ending. J.K. Rowling has pretty much said she won't be making more stories about Harry Potter (though she left an opening and said she would re-visit the universe she's created).

I know some people were quite disappointed and sad when Stephen King finally finished his Dark Tower epic. Some complained the ending wasn't up to what they envisioned but then some who said that pretty much wanted the series to go on and on. I wonder if Harry Potter fans will feel the same way. Are they already resigned to the fact it may not end the way they want it to? Are they ready or not ready for the series to end?

I've been reading since third grade, it's been uh, 8 years.

I'm pretty much ready for the series to end, but I'm pretty sure most aren't. And yes, I think it won't end the way I want to (because if I would write the ending, it would be that Harry Potter is actually mental and has been like that for seven years. It's all just a dream. )

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have liked that ending over the real one.

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have absolutely zero recollection of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, other then who dies at the end. I have a completely clear memory of Harry Potter 1 through 4, but then it starts to get blurry at 5 and then I barely remember anything from 6. I need to go read a Wikipedia summary or something.

About the 7th book, instead of getting it tonight I'm just gonna get it cheaper at Costco in a few days.
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I

HAVE

IT

NOW!

Yes, first person on Suikox with the book! I got it five hours ago, mine came with this weird sticker promoting the book that's in monochrome. Apparently it's free. O_o

I'm into six chapters now, and so far all I can say win. It's so awesome, the deaths just blow my mind off, yes there are deaths, JKR said so herself.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read all of the plot on Wikipedia, as I do not read the books. :D
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just finished reading it. Great book, cutthroat though.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh man...did anybody go to one of those insane release parties last night? I made the mistake of volunteering at the local Barnes and Noble. I did fortune telling for about five hours and told thousands of small children what I "saw" in their future in my plastic crystal ball. It was really fun but totally exhausting. The really fun ting was how many people dressed up and really got into the spirit of the thing (I was dressed up as a Slytherin. :) ). There was a lady dressed up as Umbridge who wandered around with a clipboard and loomed over the volunteers and pretended to take notes and glower and things. XD I think the kids all got a really huge kick out of it.

The sad things is that by the time I got home I was so exhausted that I only got about 130 age into the book before I conked off. I was hoping to read all night...`^^';;

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just got the book, and I will be reading as much as I can as fast as I can to avoid getting spoiled before I reach the end!! ^^ So far it's interesting enough-- on par with the rest of the books. I'm three chapters in now.

I would have gone to the midnight party, but I decided against it for two reasons. 1: I just got home yesterday, and I was waaaaaay too tired, and had too much of a headache from the airplane to go do some midnight festivities, and 2: I didn't want some evil kid to yell out the ending right after we all just got the book! Horrible. ^^

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The one my brother attended last night at the local Barnes and Noble where he pre-ordered the book had some 18 year old kid running around like a fool shouting out the names of the people who died in the book. No kid cried but the several police who were on hand as security tackled him since they saw him as a danger to all the little kiddies with his retarded way of running around. there was quite the cheering and applause once that happened.

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have finished it. I stayed up all night (well, from 2:30-9:15) in order to finish it. It was pretty good. I must say that I don't like how the epilogue was written. It seemed sloppy, but that's just my opinion. To me, it seemed like something I'd read on fanfiction.net.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm currently in the process of reading, and over halfway through. I intend to be done reading tonight, though it will be torture at work tomorrow - I have a feeling I won't be able to put the damn book down!

So far, it's excellent, a real page-turner, and extremely intense, far moreso than any of the previous installments.

I won't ever post a full review here, to avoid spoilers...but eventually, when spoilers are safe, I intend to give everyone a full account of my thoughts on not only Deathly Hallows, but all of the "epic of Harry Potter".

By the way, I love the jacket of Deathly Hallows. No review. Just "This is the end. Start reading, fools," :)

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Done with it, I just finished. I clocked in a bit more than Flare, 6 and a half hours of reading with some rest in between. :P

The book was great, except for one thing.

The epilogue... well, it sucked.

*Invisitext here, spoilers*

I thought the book was good. It was nice seeing everyone back including Krum and Umbridge, and meeting some previously mentioned people like Muriel (LOL) was really nice. The new characters were kind of cool too, like Xenophilius Lovegood who showed how someone could fold despite the resistance he put up in the start against Voldy.

The book also gives a really different view on Dumbledore for the most part, until you reach King's Cross... in which everything is explained. I liked that part, since it cleared everything up, and it showed that even great people like Dumbledore have weaknesses.

About the epilogue, they mentioned, let's see... Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Hagrid, their offspring, Neville, Hagrid, Malfoy...

I still have a lot of questions like... what happened to everyone else? I wouldn't have minded seeing a couple more pages just to flesh everything else out with the other characters.

P.S. Why the hell did all of Harry's pets/nonhuman friends have to die? Seriously, I was expecting Buckbeak to drop dead the entire book.

Oh, and for the record, Albus Severus Potter sounds like some fanfiction name.

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, since those who have finished reading the book want to discuss the final story in more detail I'll tag the topic as having spoilers but blacked out.

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm on Chapter 27, and this book's been pretty good enough until now. Beginning's probably much chaotic though. (The first death was pretty much "What the hell just happened?!?" O_O)
Deadly Assassin

289976 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got it and finished it. I have to say that I am somewhat pleased and somewhat disappointed. Since most of it is spoilers, I will start using Invisi-text. WARNING INVISIBLE SPOILERS... A LOT OF THEM.

First of all, I found the meandering style of the book to be annoying as compared to the previous ones. Perhaps it was because they weren't at Hogwarts, but the plot seemed to move in random ways that didn't completely make sense. You could feel JK's influence. It is hard to explain. The best example is when Harry, for absolutely no reason, decides to say Voldy's name (I would have personally started calling him Voldy instead of the longer You-Know-Who) which gets him captured and eventually leads to the release of characters that further contribute to the story. I don't know if I'm the only one noticing this, but I felt it throughout most of the story.

I found the back stories on Dumbledore and Snape to be enjoyable, though I was a little disappointed with Dumbledore's. Most of the book was good and the frequency of deaths was mind blowing (I counted fifteen people's deaths that Harry personally knew).

The ending is what I really want to discuss. Believe it or not, I actually predicted three-fourths of it. I figured out the part about Dumbledore planning for Snape to kill him after I read the sixth book, so that didn't come as too much of a surprise. I also figured that the vague "Neither can live while the other survives" did not rule out the chance of Harry having to kill him and Voldemort at the same time or that if one of the died, the other will also die. Me and my friend even figured out the Harry was the sixth Horcrux because of the mentions of Voldemort planning to make his sixth with the Potter family's death among other things. So, I expected the part where Harry goes off to face Voldemort after finding out that he must let Voldemort kill him. What I didn't expect was for Harry to survive.

Once Dumbledore starts explaining things to Harry at King's Cross, I say "Okay, so the blood thing was the real secret... now it makes since with the "Harry thought he saw Dumbledore smile in triumph at this news," but JK fails to convince me of exactly what happened. She seemed a little too desperate, if you ask me, to save Harry. Apparely, by sacrificing himself, Harry allowed the Horcrux to die but stayed unharmed. "You can not die while he is still alive" Dumbledore explained, but that makes no sense with the rest of the book. Voldemort's magic is also somehow neutralized.

So then some plot develops and Harry is face to face with Voldemort again and ready for the final duel. But wait? If Harry can not die while Voldy is still alive, then why should Voldy die while Harry is still alive? He shouldn't, right? Harry's sacrifice will come now, surely. But not yet, first Harry must suddenly, somehow, have figured out that Draco, not Snape was the true master of the wand in Voldy's hand and that by stealing Draco's real wand, Harry had somehow by strange magical clauses unknown to muggles like me, gained the ownership of it. But even so, it is is Voldy's hands now, so how can that help him? Well, apparently the wand knowingly let itself be beaten because it knew its true master was its opponent. Of course, after hearing Harry's plot revelation, if I had been Voldemort I would have smiled, thanked Harry and pulled out my good old Yew wand instead. Of course, Voldemort was too vain to do such a thing.

So Voldemort was killed. Here I expected it, or right before his death.... some final dramatic affirmation by Voldy, a laugh or something. But there was nothing. In fact, during the final fight with Harry and the short one before hand, Voldemort had said little besides "Lies" "I thought he would come, I guess I was mistaken" and yelling hysterically. Is this the way for our infamous dark wizard to act? I expected some final something, be it a "I regret what I've done" or a "After all of my life... I die with nothing..." or even a cocky "I'll meet you in hell," but there was nothing like that at all.

Now seconds after Voldemort's death I expected yet another something. The death of Harry! Surely he would stand up smiling and be greeted by the joyous crowd only to fall again, clutching his heart, blood on the front of his robes. Surely since of Harry's blood, Voldemort would still cling to life as Harry did unless Harry also died, but no. Voldy was not given the same courtesy that was given to Harry. Why? I don't know. It wasn't elaborated upon. I am sure that if Dumbledore were there, he would have something to say about it. I was sure that his portrait might say SOMETHING. But no, suddenly the book was over and Voldy had died in a quick and, though dramatic, not quite dramatic enough for me, way.

Now we proceed to the Epilogue which was "sweet" in every sense of the word. JK said that she wrote this ages ago to have something to work towards and perhaps that is why she was so insistent in her half-explained attempts at keeping Harry alive near the end. I loved the book, or most of it at least. And I know that the ending was 3/4 what I expected, so it was 3/4 perfect in my eyes. Others may have been crushed at Harry's death and don't care that his survival is confusing at best.

Of course, Albus Severus Potter DOES sound like some fan-fiction, but I can appreciate the honor in it given both to Dumbledore and Snape. Since Snape's story is basically the most interesting revelation in my opinion (and it was told all at once in a chapter named after it), I am content at least with that. I have only slept a few hours since I finished it, so my opinion may change after a couple of days of good rest, but at the end of the book, I feel strangely empty. At the end of the 6th I felt sad, but not empty. I also missed the resolution chapter that I expected. A grand party at the Burrow, lots of cake and stuff.... maybe some words said about those who have died. I dunno... the ending seemed rushed.... a bit rushed.

That's all I can think to say.

Chief of Hot and Steamy Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Mitsuba + Godwin Avatars Unite- Sports
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: