Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Disgaea 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's definitely starting to look like I'm going to have no choice but to buy a PS3. That's kind of upsetting in its own right.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mean to rain on your parade guys, but what exactly is so great about a new Disgaea? The second disgaea wasn't a hell of a lot better than the first one. You're talking about 2 games with mediocre, yet entertaining, stories and same great levelling structure.

Sure there were tons of new things to do with felonies and whatnot, but it's not like the story or gameplay experience was worth the money. Some of the moves were cooler, but if you're a hardcore Disgaea player you turn the animations off because you waste so much time watching the same thing over and over. Even if you don't do that, exactly how many times is it cool watching those attack animations? 10 times? Is that worth a new game?

Still after pumping something like 600 hours into Disgaea 2 over the time I've owned it getting to the point where any battle is laughable, I don't see what the new game could possibly offer. Especially when I'd have to shell out half a grand just to play it.

I'm saying this as one of the biggest disgaea fans in existence too. If it were coming out on the PS2 I'd probably get it eventually, but on the PS3 there's no need to care at all. Keep playing Disgaea 2. The best part about the game is the levelling stucture and item world and you can go back and do that for free in the old games instead of shelling out 600 to 700 dollars to see it in different colors.

Overall, what I'm saying is that I love disgaea 2, but I don't think I'd be disappointed if I was doing powerlevelling on the first game instead. It's the same game!

On another note: The PS3 is a failed system. It's not going to change with games. It will only change with a severe price cut or by some miracle transformation for the modern household to have any desire for a system that is simply ahead of its time.

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sierra Mikain wrote:
I don't mean to rain on your parade guys, but what exactly is so great about a new Disgaea? The second disgaea wasn't a hell of a lot better than the first one. You're talking about 2 games with mediocre, yet entertaining, stories and same great levelling structure.

I'm saying this as one of the biggest disgaea fans in existence too. If it were coming out on the PS2 I'd probably get it eventually, but on the PS3 there's no need to care at all. Keep playing Disgaea 2. The best part about the game is the levelling stucture and item world and you can go back and do that for free in the old games instead of shelling out 600 to 700 dollars to see it in different colors.

I personally like Disgaea, and all of Nippon Ichi games for that matter, for their plots, characters and wonderful anime-style graphics (and a little of the addictive S-RPG qualities). I never really got into the whole powerlevelling, stats craze. This is what keeps me excited about a new game. And this new school setting has lots of interesting possibilities.

On a side note, seeing as Disgaea is Nippon Ichi's most popular series and they don't see to be afraid to exploit that, I wonder just how big they'll end up making it. Will we be seeing Disgaea VII sometime in the future?
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

On a side note, seeing as Disgaea is Nippon Ichi's most popular series and they don't see to be afraid to exploit that, I wonder just how big they'll end up making it. Will we be seeing Disgaea VII sometime in the future?

I certainly hope not. Disgaea's main selling point is its battle system after all, and just how many tweaks can you put into it anyway? The other main selling point of Disgaea (for me anyway) was the charming cast (you know, Laharl's group and the ever infamous Prinnies, plus a few more).

Like Sierra Mikain said, though I like the series and all, Disgaea 3 will certainly not be enough reason to buy a PS3 for me. If I wanted a grinding game, Disgaea 2 is certainly good enough for me; in fact, I haven't even achieved everything in the game.

Moving on, I'm rather curious as to what a classroom has to do with this game anyway, especially seeing that Persona 3 has something like it. I'd also like to see exactly how does this school business fit into the whole game overall. The new tower system also looks to be quite a curiousity to me, since it's a whole lot of people stretching and it's not like the old one. Perhaps it's a way to get people across obstacles?

As for the graphics, I think they look pretty bad for a PS3 game. I like 2d graphics and all, but I think that Nippon Ichi could certainly do better than what we're seeing of the game right now.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Box art shown:

Cameos:

Green - Putty and Marona
Black - Asagi
Red - Etna('s tail)
Blue - Laharl('s scarf)
White - Flonne('s tail)
Yellow - Axel/Aaaaakutaaaareeeeeeee!
Camillus

6th Temple Guard Regiment "The Relentless"

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, you have nice eyes for details Leb. Don't you think that one of the pink haired girls could be Adell's little sister?

And where the hell is Adell and Rozy?

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ideally, they are far, far away.

The little pink-haired girl is Raspberyl. The older one is probably Asuka of the Paper Cranes or something.
Camillus

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Ideally, they are far, far away.

Why? I would like to see the scene where Adell (maybe a little spoiler ->)realizes he is a demon. It certainly would be nice. Or how Rozy accepts (spoiler? -> being Zenon (crappy name but eh...).

But anyway I think that Adell's sister would be funny addition to Etna.

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Asagi Asagi! Asagi! And Etna. <3 Are there any other confirmed returning characters?

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, aside from the Red Prism Ranger and some classes that either disappeared after the original Disgaea (Ronin) or were only seen in non-Disgaea games (Merchant, Berserker, Hell Kitty), none. But there's plenty of possibilities, and not every secret character in Disgaea 2 showed up on the box. Just the ones who showed up more than once.

Camillus wrote:
Why?

Adell was a hero cliche of the worst kind, and Rozalin was a snooty princess cliche of the worst kind. It made it very difficult for me to play Disgaea 2 since I had no characters I could get behind and subsequently use as my main character in battle (Hanako, Taro and Yukimaru were all annoying too). Just... thank God Kurtis and Axel showed up in the uber-netherworld place.
Camillus

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Adell was a hero cliche of the worst kind, and Rozalin was a snooty princess cliche of the worst kind.

I agree that they were cliche but it was so ridiculous that it was funny at the same time. And things I have written in black in my previous post were even funnier when connected to those two cliched characters. Like: Adell hating demons and being demon himself and snooty princess being the most powerful overlord

So I can only say that i in fact liked main cast of D2, well beside Taro and Hanako, Tink was also mediocre.

Btw. sorry for blackened out text but I think there are some guys who haven't played D1&2 yet and my spoliers are BAD, :)

cheers

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really saw nothing special about those plot twists that really improved the quality of the character development. Like you said, they didn't even delve into either and just put it there for the "what the hell" factor.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Axel, he was so awesome! I liked Yukimaru though, she was cute, zam!

-My DeviantArt-
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: