Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

If I create a suikoden fan game...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: If I create a suikoden fan game... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

would you play it? And what do you want to see? (No character and rune suggestions please).

EDIT: 071007 - addition
If you check my avatar you would notice that I use mostly the existing S2 graphics, I edited some of them and created some of my own. I already have a story in mind (I actually thought of this 3 years ago).

You see, originally I had proposed for my case defense (requirement for graduation) a PC game. Because I was too lazy too often, I never did realize my original idea of a SUIKODEN derivative rpg. I end up passing my defense with a 2d side scroller arcade game, a pathetic super simple rpg, a rock-paper-scissors game, and a god awful text nation management sim. I' ve always regretted not being able to do my original idea so I thought, it was high time I get to do my suikoden-esque rpg.

I wont be using any of the Rpg maker tools because I hate the controls (it hurts your wrist playing any RM2k game) instead I'll be programming it on my own.

More info as soon as I finish the world map design.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be perfectly honest, not a chance. Fan products are almost ALWAYS lame.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Depends on how good it is. If it looks good and interesting, then I'll play it. If it looks awful, I'm not going to play it. As simple as that.

When it comes to RM2K games, I simply look at what's offered by the game. Any good, then I'll be happy to spend long hours for the game. Looks bad? I'm not going to even bother downloading it.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Sun's Vicegerent

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My answer's very much the same as Aurelien.

If it looks interesting and its packaged nicely, I'll probably consider downloading it and playing it. If it isn't, I probably wouldn't waste my time.

It's shallow to judge a book by its cover, but most of the time, people will judge the cover.

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd be interested to see how it comes out and would probably consider depending on what the other suikox members think...then again i'd still probably give it a go.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do you have any experience in making fan games? Or is it something you just decided to do suddenly? I have to say the success ratio of fan-made games is not very high.
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No.

Just like fan-fiction fan-games have no interesting features and serve no purpose as nothing detailed in them has any bearing on the overall story and will 9 times out of 10 completly destroy a character and as such they are a waste of time.

Even if you base it on official events refered to by Konami it will still just be your interpretation of it and quite frankly that's not the least bit interesting to me.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unfortunately, as fangames are a great deal like glorified fanfiction and about 99% of fanfiction is total tripe, I won't be touching it unless I hear from trusted sources that it's good.
However, if you are going to spend that much time and effort on it, I really hope it worls out for you.
It's just too easy to have the things you love ruined for you.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've got to agree with the "No" side of the equation. I generally find fan projects off of established properties cross the line into fanboyism and are often influenced by one's own personal interpretation of the established canon.

One of the problems I can see with the project right off the bat, if your avatar (and sig description) describe what to expect, is the inclusion of "Hikusaak" of which extremely little information has been revealed, including the gender or even if the character is still alive during that time frame.

This is all just my opinion, of course, so don't let any comments stop you from making the game if it is something you really want to do,
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd give it a go. Doesn't really matter if it's good or not.

I say give it a go - who knows, it might encourage more people to play the real games (though I doubt it), it certainly can't hurt.

I'd want to a see a quite small-scale game. Perhaps a secret mission or something set on the night before a large scale battle. That would be very interesting to write (story wise) and wouldn't necessarily have to be that long.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Mullenger

8949 Potch
19 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Id like a review of it from another person whos played it first, but im interested in the idea of it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would try it out. I enjoy fan creations because it allows me to see different people's interpretations of the characters, which may alter my own perception. To me, a story is something that is made by the storyteller, but is ultimately manifested and created by both the storyteller and the person experiencing the story. So, in that vein, I view all fan creations as true in their own way.

There are many different ways to tell a story, and their are many different ways to interpret one. I enjoy experiencing them all.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Are we talking about an RPGMaker game or something?

I hate you Onimaru.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: If I create a suikoden fan game... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Onimaru wrote:
Are we talking about an RPGMaker game or something?

Nope.

ferrouslupusrex wrote:
I wont be using any of the Rpg maker tools because I hate the controls (it hurts your wrist playing any RM2k game) instead I'll be programming it on my own.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd try it out. Can't hurt to play it once, right? Hell, no matter what it is it has to better than Suikoden IV!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: