Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Cloverfield (Spoilers must be colored black!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Delsaber wrote:
I'll see it. And not just because the first teaser trailer for J.J.'s Star Trek will be playing before it, I swear.

Not even if the teaser for Abrams' Star Trek includes a scene of the U.S.S. Enterprise during its construction.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Well, only 1 more day to go. Anyone actually going to go out and see this movie to see what all the hype has been about. Despite my misgivings about the whole viral-marketing for this film I'm actually going to see it when it comes out tomorrow. I may have already stumbled onto the identity of the monster, but if what I read was true then I have no idea why they would even try to make it all mysterious. The movie sounds like your typical Godzilla-type movie.

Here's to hoping it's more classic Godzilla and less Godzilla 1998.

I saw it yesterday night as Australia got it released on the 17th, so if you want to ruin anything before you see it by all means drop me a line. :P Although, to answer the question it's not Godzilla or Godzilla 1998 it was actually very well done in that it felt fresh and new and not "just another monster flick", so you should be presently surprised should you go in there with those expectations.

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw it today and I must say it was great, albeit shorter than I thought it would be.

Spoilers!

I'm just a little bummed out that you never find out what exactly is attacking Manhattan. You see it but you never find it what the hell it is! For a second there I thought it might be the real emergence of Cthulhu. It did have tentacle-like projections... but it also had feet. It was strange. Freaky. I just wish we knew what it was and where it came from.

My friend and I were debating whether it came from the sky or from the water. To me it looks like it came from the water, but there's also that loud explosion you hear the first time. It could have been the creature actually landing from outer space.

What do the rest of you think? Alien life form from outer space or submarine creature awakened from centuries of slumber?

Also, did anyone else get a flashback of Sin and its spawn (from Final Fantasy X) when those little spider-like creatures were falling off from the creature and attacking people?

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Darko yes I got that opinion and also... the star god from Rogue Galaxy as the general shape of the creature, also that it's covered in parasites.

As for the rest of the spoilered reply...

The creature more than likely was a genetic hybrid of sea creatures as if it was an alien than the parasites would have burned up on re entry if they simply shake loose when the thing knocks into buildings. It reminded me of a crab (the legs) frog (the facial inflammation towards the end is similar to a frogs mouth filled with air) whale (parasites = plankton) turtle (the exterior is hardened and resilient to bunker busting bombs much like a hard shell or carapace) and a lizard (one can assume that it has some regeneration properties considering the amount of punishment dished out and certain lizards are known to regrow entire limbs) and finally fish (as the creature seems to have a lack of teeth and a more gummy mouth which means that it swallows whole and doesn't chew most marine creatures outside of the fish family have some manner of teeth)

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Got back from a late showing right now. I give the movie a conditional recommendation-- that being that I would recommend it to a person who likes monster movies or doesn't care about genres, but not recommended for those who are neutral or dislike this particular genre. 6.5/10 as a movie in general, 8/10 as a monster flick. It's intense, but the shaky camera gets on your nerves after a while. I like it, but I'm smarting from the $10 ticket.

Now then, the nitty-gritty. Spoiler-marked, of course.

I'm guessing the creature came from the ocean, but there's inconsistencies with either theory. Marine parasites are typically built to swim or drift in a way that makes it easy to find a host to latch onto or get inside of. These guys looked like spiders and seemed quite at home on dry land, which makes no sense. The Subject looks like it's built to swim, and I'm assuming it capsized the oil tanker from beneath it.

What bothers me the most was the lack of explanation for what exactly a parasite bite does to a person. It isn't clear, but all I got out of it was that it causes profuse bleeding and bleeding from orifices, eventually causing... a person's head to explode? What? The movie doesn't attempt to explain, and the scene was a bit frustrating in that regard. We saw a dude who looked like his innards had been exposed by the parasites (presumably), but no one was freaking out about him being bitten. In any case, it would figure that the most interesting character died. I was just expecting her to die in a less... grotesque fashion.

A few last thoughts-- one, I don't like how they all survived a helicopter crash that happened in the middle of flight. Maybe if it was just barely getting off the ground, sure, but... nonsensical in the way they showed it. I also didn't like how the Subject showed up suddenly in Central Park. Like "ladeeda, let's keep moving, oh shit, the thing's right behind us!" The goddamn monster isn't a fucking spy, it is a master of neither stealth nor subtlety. They should have seen that thing coming looooong before Hud turned around to grab the camera. I'm guessing the whole scene was was put there to give the audience a good, clear look at the Subject, otherwise people would bitch and moan about it.

Lastly, has anyone heard about the theory of there being a second monster? I guess a lot of people have said that some of the quick shots of the monster in some areas don't match the clear shots of it in others. I've also heard that you can see something in the water near the end of the movie.

In any case, the bugger sure is ugly looking.
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was bummed after I heard the monster wasn't Trogdor. I don't think I will see it now.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It really doesn't get any easier trying to watch Cloverfield the second time around. I think several people left the movie theater halfway into the film once the camera work really got shaky. I know I got queasy more than a few times. I enjoyed the movie for what it was and went in keeping my expectations really, really low. I think films which tend to heavily use the net as a new way to market a movie through viral sites and similar gimmicks have a tendency to fail more than succeed, i.e. Snakes on a Plane.

If Abrams' and Reeves' goal was to make a monster movie, a la Godzilla, and make it America's own like Japan has Godzilla then they succeeded. I like the fact that the filmmakers stuck to their goal of keeping everything from the point of view of the people with the camera. If this meant certain information about the monsters and the effects they had on people would remain unanswered then I'm all for that. In times of very great duress finding information about a problem usually superceded by the need to stay alive.

SPOILER: I'm in the camp that there's more than one of the big monsters loose in the city. Which leads me to the theory that the creatures themselves probably extra-terrestrial in origin or even inter-dimensional. They didn't need to have landed close to the city itself and could've landed off-coast where the water was deeper.

The main creature itself looked very similar to the cyclopean giant shown in the end of The Mist. While the one in that movie was taller and move in a more lumbering fashion they both had the same tentacles, spindly limbs and skull-like face. If the two movies weren't connected in any way I would say the creature in The Mist had jumped from the movie to Cloverfield.

Despite the way the movie ended I think it was easy enough to figure out that the military was finally able to destroy the monster/s when the order to level Manhattan was given. I'm guessing it would've been non-nuclear since the camera footage survived. They probably used a lot of MOABs to literally cook it within its thick hide or armor.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, concerning that last spoiler bit:

There's what sounds like garbled noise in the credits, and people have found out that, when played backwards, it's someone yelling "It's still alive!"
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I read that was one thing I've read on as soon as I saw it early Friday morning. spoiler: Even though the voice says "It's still alive" I still think they were finally able to kill it in time. At least kill it sooner or later that the military was able to get back to Manhattan and Central Park to search through the rubble.

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well. this stuff is spoiler only to some extent. It may or may not be th truth revealed via the viral marketing.

Tagruato is a Japanese company that deals in everything from making Soda to drilling stations. That's the company Rob was heading off to work for over in Japan. In the past they've been accused of some very dirty business. Their Soda Brand, Slusho, is supposed to have some sort of secret ingredient retrieved from the deep ocean that makes a person happy.

Tidowave was/is a group of People trying to fight back for nature against all the corporations. The mostly deal with Tagruato.

There are a vast multitude of video dealing with an attack of some sort on the Chuai Drilling station. The news reports were made in multiple languages. Chuai is seen being pulled town and torn apart.

Various images on 1-18-08.com show what looks like a military assault on something in ocean. the next image looks like someone putting chum into the ocean to attract something. An image was recently put out on there that shows what looks like beached whales. With a gaping bite in one and the skin torn from the other.

I myself believe the monster is something that's been in the ocean for a good long while. Tagruato likely woke it up so to say. They've disturbed it, pissed it off and made a huge mess.

Tidowave's website has been closed down by the 'Internal Affairs Department' and Tagruato's website is down with some Japanese text replacing the language selector and corporate logo. Oddly enough though the Slusho website is still up.

As for what the parasite's do, I saw an interesting theory that what their bite does is introduce a toxin to the person that causes the blood to coagulate the heart and thus cause their chest to explode.

People have also been saying the last scene if you watch the upper scene you'll see some sort of huge spalsh in the ocean. Like another one.

Even though the film is out the ARG/Viral Marketing seems to still be going.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to think the viral sites has indeed added backstory to the film, but there's also been talk leading up to the release of the film that the site you spoke of, Scott were nothing but red herrings to keep people from finding out in advance what the movie's monster looked like, who lives and who dies, etc...

I'm more leaning towards the viral site being connected in some way to the film. Especially now that you've mentioned the sites still putting up new content. My theory of extra-terrestrial and/or inter-dimensional theory only comes in if the sites are not to be believed. I like to think that even if the Japanese company has somehow awoken the critter it could still be something that could tie into an inter-dimensional creature a laLovecraft's Old Ones and Elder Gods. I think as long as Abrams and company continue the film through the viral sites and other form of media (I can definitely see them making little short films to release on YouTube to give other vantage points of the attack and aftermaths) then interest in the film will continue to grow past the genre fans who come to see the film in the first weekend.

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was also saddened to see Marlena killed, Leb. She was my favorite character. And I agree about the helicopter crash survival. They were actually pretty high up at that point because they were able to see the creature being bombed by the military jets. Maybe it was the fact that they weren't actually moving but were stationary. Stupid pilot. He's like those idiots on the freeway that like to slow down to watch an accident and hold everyone else up.

As for what the little critters do... I agree that it might poison or attack the person's blood. I’m not sure if rapid coagulation is likely though. If that were the case why did Marlena’s eyes start bleeding? From what I could see, it was also the actual bite that caused the... head/chest explosion. It appears they attack with their claws (everyone else besides Marlena has large gashes all over their bodies. She was the only one that was stabbed with the creature's mouth/fangs/whatever the hell they were). I think the guy we saw being carried away with his stomach splayed open might have just been slashed, not actually bitten.

I actually argued with my friend about there being two creatures because it seemed like it just magically appeared at the park when they crash-landed. Then again, they could have just been knocked out for a few minutes, giving the monster time to make its way towards them after it was bombed by the jets.

Frankly, the ending seemed a bit rushed now that I think about it. It was almost like... okay, now we have to kill off all the rest of the main characters. The guy coming back for the camera after his friend was tossed around and killed by the monster was a little unseemly as well. Or maybe he was just really, really stupid. =P

Did the girl that went on the first helicopter survive? I was wondering because right after it lifts off from the ground, the monster shows up and there's an explosion. I couldn't really see, but it looked like it might have hit the chopper with its tentacle and brought it down.

The way it ended, I think they're leaving it open for a sequel.

Overall, I give the movie a 7 but in the monster movie genre, it's a 9. Probably the best monster movie I've seen to date. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of this genre...

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If Abrams does intend for this film to be America's Godzilla then I wouldn't be surprised if he did end up making it a franchise. Hopefully, they can go away a bit from the vomit-inducing shaky cam. Once is great but to do a sequel in the same way would really point out just how much a gimmick it really is.

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Delsaber wrote:
I'll see it. And not just because the first teaser trailer for J.J.'s Star Trek will be playing before it, I swear.

Not even if the teaser for Abrams' Star Trek includes a scene of the U.S.S. Enterprise during its construction.

*rushed footsteps, door slams, car speeds away*
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the creature is extraterrestrial, but was dropped into the sea. If you watch the last Coney Island scene on the tape, something black is in the sky and falls in the water. That scene takes place a month before the attack. There are also a lot of news reports in the movie about oil refineries and tankers being destoyed in the weeks before the monster shows up. My theory is that it flew to earth, landed in the bay, hung out underwater for a while, then crawled on shore the wreak havoc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: