Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Bastan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Bastan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, i have over 200 hours on my Suikoden V game. I have the guidebook, and know the game well.

Sadly, none of these have helped me in my quest to get Bastan. I go and get the Painting? from that dragon guy outside of Stormfist. I actually got about 20 of them a few times. I go to Haud, and get the ammpraised. Nothing happens. Then a friend tells me to just get one, and walk in and out of his store until eh initiates a convo. It's yet to happen.

What am I doing wrong!? I'm at the end, and have already spent about 40 hours throughout the game trying to get this guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have you just talked to him with such a painting in your bag, but closed the window without appraising it? This should work...

The Fool
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Get ?paintings from the Revolving Bridge (or any other place you can get them). Any ?painting will do and you need only one. Go to talk to Bastan (don't appraise the ?paintings!) until he starts talking about the famous Ivanov painting. He will then ask to join you.

If he doesn't initiate the talk, exit the conversation window and try again. Note that is event occurs very rarely, i have spent many hours myself to get this guy. Though, others have rceruited him by talking to him only 4 times, for example.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there a time limit to when you can do this? If I missed the window....I am going to be so angry, my insides may implode.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If i am not mistaken you can only recruit upto the night before the Final War Battle at Sol Falena.

I am not too sure if you can recruit after that as i have always had everyone before then.
Wolfheart

Midnight Howl

39338 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've also read that you have to first see that scene with him, where an "artist" form Haud presents him his work and where Bastan praises it although he thinks it's crap. I don't know if there's a point in the game where the scene does not appear anymore, though...
It's best to see it when you first come to Haud, after the attack on Sol-Falena.
Then, continue the storyline and get the ?Painting at the Revolving Bridge, first time you can get some.
You can recruit Bastan anytime after you get your HQ until the night before the last battle, like Goldy said.
Just talk to him with the painting in your inventory, do not appraise anything. If the conversation window does not appear, quit talking without appraising the painting and start the conversation over again.
It can be annoyingly long. First time I played, it took me around 10 trials. But in the following playthough, I maybe had to talk to him 50 times to get the dialogue right!
Don't get discouraged too early!

In Potch We Trust
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Once I finally picked up the right painting, he noticed it right away! I guess I was just lucky.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I missed the window then. All I have left to do is beat the boss (which I've done) Thanks for the help guys, I'll just get him the 3rd time around.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TruePerception wrote:
Once I finally picked up the right painting, he noticed it right away! I guess I was just lucky.

since there's no right paintings yes you were lucky to get it right away. usually it'll take three to four tries.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does having only a single ? Painting increase the chances of triggering the conversation with Bastan? I recall having like a bunch of those paintings from the Revolving Bridge, and it took FOREVER to get him to talk. I had thought that I was in a non-recruiting period or something, but he eventually gave in.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i haven't tried it with one yet, but book says to do it after the revolving bridge since you get some many ? paintings. it may increase the chance of him giving in.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you can talk to him, then exit if the event doesn't occur and just try again. I think that's how I got him because I was lazy to get a bunch of paintings. Too much effort just for the appraiser.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always do it with just one painting and it usually doesn't take very many tries, only about 4-5 on average.
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I picked up Bastan right after I acquired the castle. It just takes some persistence.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bastan Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ezekiel wrote:
So, i have over 200 hours on my Suikoden V game. I have the guidebook, and know the game well.

Sadly, none of these have helped me in my quest to get Bastan. I go and get the Painting? from that dragon guy outside of Stormfist. I actually got about 20 of them a few times. I go to Haud, and get the ammpraised. Nothing happens. Then a friend tells me to just get one, and walk in and out of his store until eh initiates a convo. It's yet to happen.

What am I doing wrong!? I'm at the end, and have already spent about 40 hours throughout the game trying to get this guy.
Just talk to him with ANY painting in your inventory if the sales windo pops up instead just exit out of the window (NOT THE STORE) and keep talking to him on an off without having the painting apraised until he talks to you an joins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: