Suikoden Unique and Irenic Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rugby

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Rugby Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

K, so I joined the ECU Rugby Team yesterday and I have no idea how to play. I start in the fall at an as of yet undiscolsed date.

Anyone know anything about rugby?

What are the strengths required to play the different positions well?

Are there different positions?

How do you win/score?

How long are games?

Was it a bad idea to join a sports team of a sport I've absolutely no knowledge in?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, it's a fun sport. Remember no throwing the ball forwards it's not allowed. I'm sure someone can give you a better break down of the rules I only ever played a few matches myself where they just stuck me on the wing because I could run fast so I'm not great with all the technicalities of the rules myself.

Grab the ball, leg it towards the try line...uh, end zone or something.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can only toss the ball through lateral passes? Oye, this will be an adjustment. I've heard it's kind of like football, but more manly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, you can only pass the ball laterally, no forward passes, so the only way to gain ground is to run with the ball or kick it and hope that you or a player from your team can retrieve it.

You can score by either getting a try + conversion and a drop goal. You score a try (5 points) when you cross the goal line and ground the ball then you get a chance to kick at goal for 2 points. You can also get a penalty kick or a drop kick at goal for 3 points.

The rules on tackling varies between Rugby Union and Rugby League so that depends on the type you are playing!

You also have scrums and lineouts as set pieces.

You are going to have fun. :P
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

You are going to have fun. Razz

Eep.

No, I should be fine. I'm a pretty big guy and when I play sports I tend to be a bit on the bruiser side of things. I'm sure the scoring will make more sense when I start playing some more but it looks kind of similar to football. You've got full contact, an irregular scoring set (by 5 not by 1's) and the ball is of similar shape. Thanks, Goldy, for your insight.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had the first day of try outs for my schools rugby team today. I have actually never played rugby before and I saw that my school had a team and thought it would be interesting to try out and see what happens. The games fairly simple and it didnt take me that long to understand the basics and what to do. The problem is im kind of a small guy =X at least compared to many of the players that were there. Im sure its the same all around in the rugby sport

I got completly owned by this black guy who was like 6'3 250 pounds or so...and im only 5'6 140 pounds lol but the coach said I did good for the first day of try outs. Maybe that means I have a good chance of making the team :P

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: