Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Football (Soccer) 2007/2008 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, here’s my take on this.

First off, the Starting XI against Croatia. Starting Scott Carson was wrong, very very wrong. While yes, Paul Robinson has been below mediocre this season, he’s really a lot more experienced than Carson. In a crunch game like this, experience is definitely a factor. Carson may have choked, but he really shouldn’t have started. Paul Robinson would’ve been a probably better choice given his experience.

Now, the defense. It. Just. Sucked. Ferdinand, Terry, and Cole are out, and that’s a BIG blow. Who do we have? We have Campbell, Lescott, Richards, and Bridge. Bridge is probably a decent selection (I always thought of him as a capable guy, not on par with Ferdinand and Terry but still reliable), but the rest are… meh. Sol Campbell was great before, not now when he’s so… old. Lescott and Richards are great young guys, but they’re still a bit raw at the international level. What do you get? 2 early goals conceded, an almost own goal, and a cracking shot from a nice distance from Petric, which probably wins the Worst Shot England has Seen for 2007 Award. Would the game be different if at least Terry or Ferdinand were there? I think it’s pretty obvious it would be – these guys can make a difference, and it could’ve probably affected the game.

Midfield. Benching Beckham? Oh my. Going with experience again, I think Becks should’ve been given the nod over Wright-Philips. Beckham is a proven quality player, he’s not as good as he was before but he still gets the job done. Plus, I think Crouch likes Beckham crosses more than those of SWP’s.

Now, was Steve McClaren’s sacking a right one? Yes, but not for the reason that he’s an awful manager. No, it’s more on the fact that he failed England. England is a European powerhouse. Qualifying for the Euro is not surprising – it should be a norm because they’re England, it’s expected of them to qualify. McClaren failed to qualify, give him the sack. It’s all reasonable, really.

Peter Crouch. This is a reasonable choice, and they got what was expected of Crouch with his goal. I’d pick Crouch over Defoe or Heskey or 16-million man any day. While England would’ve been better off with Rooney or Owen up front, they’re unavailable, so yeah.

Now, onto the bigger question: Who replaces him?

1. Jose Mourinho is out, he denied it himself. Oh, and he’s also as cocky as ever, apparently he’ll become the next Real Madrid coach since he thinks Schuster’s getting sacked soon. The Premier League kinda misses him though, Avram Grant is just plain boring to listen to.
2. Hiddink could be possible, but I really don’t know how English media would treat him.
3. A lot of people want Martin O’Neill, frankly I’m not counting on it just because I think O’Neill is very committed to Villa at the moment.
4. Harry Redknapp? Not when Portsmouth’s having a great season.
5. Fabio Capello? Maaaaybe. Just a very tiny maybe.
6. Rafa Benitez is rumored too, with his recent “Back me or Sack me” message to Liverpool.
7. Gerard Houllier? See #5.
8. Steve Staunton? Mourinho would become manager of Manchester United before this happens. And I just put this here because I heard Sportscenter mention him awhile ago.
9. Slaven Bilic? Hey, don’t laugh, it could happen. Plus, he has a good job outside of football. Pretty random, though.

Well, I don’t think there’s a frontrunner right now, all I know is that whoever becomes the next head will have a rough time.

But I’m pretty sure England will carry on. They’re still a quality side if healthy, and I think they’ll go off to South Africa.

Moving on, let’s look at the final cast of Euro 2008:

Poland
Portugal
Greece
Turkey
Germany
Czech Republic
France
Italy
Croatia
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Netherlands
Romania
Switzerland
Austria

Should be a good Euro next year, seems like everyone except Austria can have a decent shot. And Greece is a serious darkhorse, no one talks about them but they’re really good. Ten wins, a draw and a loss make the best record of the qualifiers, plus they’re the defending champs so it should be interesting. Right now though, I’m going with an early prediction of the Netherlands against Germany or Italy for the final.

Although on a funnier note, maybe they should replace Austria and just have Scotland thrown into the mix. That’d be awesome, unless you’re French or Italian, at which point that would be bad.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
5. Fabio Capello? Maaaaybe. Just a very tiny maybe.

Fabio Capello did say it would be a fascinating challenge to manage England......
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Archy, one name that you missed out is Jurgen Klinsmann. Now THAT could be someone who might have the balls to say no to Frank and Steven. I think Klinsmann could be successful. He is the type of manager who has clear vision of what he wanted to achieve, and how he would achieve the goal. I would be happy to be an Englishman if Klinsmann got the job.

Out the names mentioned:
Jose Mourinho -> already said not interested (for the time being)
Guus Hiddink -> no chance for now as he would be commited to Russia
Martin O’Neill -> already said not interested (and a weak choice anyways .. what is his actual achievement anyways? Seriously?)
Harry Redknapp -> possible, and I'm sure he'd take it if offered the job. He has left Portsmouth once, no reason why he won't do it again.
Fabio Capello? already said interested, and Zola had backed the idea. Efficient manager for sure, but would Englishmen be happy with effective-but-not-entertaining play?
Rafa Benitez -> weak choice. He wouldn't know what to do with England squad.
Gerard Houllier -> oh lord ... seriously? Might as well beg and beg and beg even more for Sam Allardyce (whom already said no)
Steve Staunton -> doubtful, and a weak choice
Slaven Bilic -> I laughed anyways XD

Another name that hasn't been mentioned is probably Marcello Lippi. Not quite sure whether he'd be interested or not, but I sure as hell think that he can do the job if given the offer.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

World Cup 2010 European Qualifying Groups

Group 1
Portugal
Sweden
Denmark
Hungary
Albania
Malta

Group 2
Greece
Israel
Switzerland
Moldova
Latvia
Luxembourg

Group 3
Czech Republic
Poland
Northern Ireland
Slovakia
Slovenia
San Marino

Group 4
Germany
Russia
Finland
Wales
Azerbaijan
Liechtenstein

Group 5
Spain
Turkey
Belgium
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Armenia
Estonia

Group 6
Croatia
England
Ukraine
Belarus
Kazakhstan
Andorra

Group 7
France
Romania
Serbia
Lithuania
Austria
Faroe Islands

Group 8
Italy
Bulgaria
Republic of Ireland
Cyprus
Georgia
Montenegro

Group 9
Holland
Scotland
Norway
Macedonia
Iceland

Some interesting groups there. So who do you think will qualify?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Group 1 is definitely the group of death. Portugal, Sweden, and Denmark are all strong teams who can be on the top of the group easily. Portugal is the one with the best squad out of the three, but I'm not convinced that they are the best team out of the three. So it's a bit up in the air.

Group 7 and Group 9 can also be difficult, but they are more like "who will be the runner up" because the strongest team in those groups are more obvious.

England and Croatia being reunited would be quite interesting to see, but I can't see England failing against Croatia once again if they get a quality new manager.

My predictions:
Group Winners: Sweden, Greece, Czech Republic, Germany, Spain, England, France, Italy, Holland
Runner-Ups: Portugal, Switzerland, Northern Ireland, Russia, Turkey, Croatia, Romania, Ireland, Norway

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And.... Mourinho strikes again!

Mourinho has been very hard with his answers not even giving a maybe, but now he's challenge the FA to "come and get him". Very interesting man, really, if he ever becomes England's new manager the media won't be able to touch him, they've tried anyway.

I forgot about Klinsmann, but it'd be remarkable if they get him. Last time I heard about him, he's having a decent life outside football and doesn't want to get back in anytime soon. He'll probably turn out to be the best available coach out there, but it's still very, very slim.

And what about Alex McLeish becoming a Premier League coach after Scotland? Pretty surprised to see him leave because Scotland were a fine team, but yeah, apparently he hates the hundred-day a year job as a national team coach.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A nice headline for you today......if you are a Chelsea fan......and if it is true!

SkySports.com wrote:
Reports in Spain are claiming that Chelsea already have an agreement in place with Barcelona ace Ronaldinho.
It is claimed by leading Spanish daily Marca that The Blues have finalised a deal with the 27-year-old - whose time in Catalunya looks to be drawing to a close.
Ronaldinho has long been linked with a switch to Chelsea, with owner Roman Abramovich thought to be a huge fan of the Brazilian.
The one-time Manchester United target has been far from at his best this term and has even been dropped to the bench by coach Frank Rijkaard.
Previously a cheeky bid from Middlesbrough was the only offer thought to have been lodged, but Chelsea now look on course to land Ronaldinho.
Italian giants Milan, who also have a long-standing interest, could mount a late challenge.

Pay day

The reports state that Ronaldinho will be paid 10million euros (£7.1million) a-year at Stamford Bridge, although the two clubs have not yet agreed a deal.
It is believed Chelsea want to take Ronaldinho in January and the player is also keen, but it remains to be seen whether Barcelona could be persuaded to sell him before the summer.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ronaldinho's brother and agent has denied it though.
shikator

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think its another one of those silly post bu writers...................Plus im sure barcelona would never sell ronaldinho, ronaldinho is their franchise.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, Leo Messi is their franchise right now. The fans chant more for him than for Ronaldinho since the beginning of the season. However, Messi doesn't seem to be as marketable, that's why Ronaldinho still sells more t-shirts in Asia.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Zieg

15988 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fabio Capello has been approved by FA and hence forth will be the new coach of England. I don't really know what to think of it... hopefully he'll manage to qualify with the English to the world cup.

Man, can't wait for Euro 2008, Poles will participate in such tournament for the first time.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope Capello has the courage to play only Steve Gerrard or Frank Lampard, the last two managers didn't.
Archy

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Capello's a manager with balls, that's all I'm saying about him.

Anyhow, wtf is up with this mistreatment of the Newcastle community on Sam Allardyce? It doesn't take what, less than a year to build a winning team (once in a blue moon there is though coughManchesterCitycough) so I don't understand all the fuss about sacking him. Goodness, give him some time and he'll start turning things around, Allardyce isn't an idiot anyway. If Newcastle do things properly, sell Joey Barton, and start to play together, they'll be a force, I'm prety sure of it. No need for players who attract too much trouble.

And in the light of some pretty depressing news, an R.I.P. goes out to Phil O'Donnell, former Celtic and Sheffield Wednesday player. Guy collapsed at Motherwell when he was going to be substituted, it's pretty sad really to hear things like that.

Anyhow, it's January, and the transfer window hasn't shaken up anything big yet. Manchester United's rumored to get more players from Portugal, there's talks about these two defenders coming in as long-term replacements for Gary Neville. I don't remember the other's name, but I think one of them is called Manucho. And obviously there's also Luka Modric who's being linked with everyone, but I wouldn't count on that just yet. Oh yeah, there's also Berbatov, but who hasn't been linked to him anyway?

EDIT: Anyhow, it seems we already got Manucho. >_>

Celes Tilly wrote:

"Butt rock."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ferguson has stated in his latest interview that he will be bringing in no one during the January Transfer Window.......i doubt that will stop him bringing in a few 'future potential' players.

Anyway.......the fourth round of the FA Cup did not really throw up anything too exciting with the 'pick' of the round being Manchester United vs Reading/Tottenham.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Anyhow, it's January, and the transfer window hasn't shaken up anything big yet. Manchester United's rumored to get more players from Portugal, there's talks about these two defenders coming in as long-term replacements for Gary Neville. I don't remember the other's name, but I think one of them is called Manucho.

The other name was José Bosingwa from FC Porto. And Manucho is a striker. From Angola. Never played in Europe, so it was quite a surprise to see a club like Man Utd pick him up like that, when the norm should be him going to Portugal/France/Germany/Holland/Belgium/whatever good league with not so amny great players in every team, and then going to a bigger club.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: