Suikoden United and Irrational Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Football (Soccer) 2007/2008 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I agree with you about the goalkeeper being the weakest part of women's football at the moment. Just like most other physical sports, the women are not as agile as men. You can see this in numerous sports. Men run faster in athletics, men jump higher in basketball, men hit harder in tennis, etc. So it is expected that women goalkeepers are not as quick, strong, agile as the men's. This looks to be the greatest gap because there is only one goalkeeper on the field, and their failure is very obvious on the scoresheet (as shown by a lot of high-scoring matches in women's game).

Anyways, if anyone is interested in watching the goals, you can have a look at fifa's official website for the goals in women's world cup 2007. http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/video/videolist.html

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yet another 1-0 win for Manchester United last night......and damn lucky too! Roma wasted to great chances.

Nice result for Rangers....eh....beating Lyon in their own backyard!
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

England Squad
Robinson (Tottenham), James (Portsmouth),Carson (Liverpool, on loan at Aston Villa), Richards (Man City), Brown (Man Utd), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Terry (Chelsea), A Cole (Chelsea), P Neville (Everton), Campbell (Portsmouth), Lescott (Everton), Shorey (Reading), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Barry (Aston Villa), J Cole (Chelsea), Downing (Middlesbrough), Lampard (Chelsea), Young (Aston Villa), Bentley (Blackburn), Owen (Newcastle), Rooney (Man Utd), Smith (Newcastle), Ashton (West Ham), Defoe (Tottenham), Johnson (Everton), Crouch (Liverpool)

You know what scared me the most when I read the above?
No, it's not the fact that Sol Campbell is there.
No, it's not the fact that Wes Brown is there.
No, it's not the fact that Phil Neville is there.
No, it's not the fact that Downing is there.
No, it's not the fact that Ashley Young is there.
Heck, it's not even the fact that Alan Smith is there.
But it's the fact that all three goalkeepers (Robinson, James, and Carson) conceeded 4 goals last weekend. That has got to be scary when your nation's top three goalkeepers conceeded that many goals in a game.

Here's hoping for England's defense to be better than Tottenham's, Aston Villa's, and Portsmouth's.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm probably the only one who's ranting about this, but...

Oranje lost 1-0 to Romania. Bah!

On a more positive note, England seem to like Man. U's trend of winning by the same margin, they've been doing it too, thrashing 3-0s all over the place. Estonia was the victim this time, with Wayne Rooney and SWP doing the damage, plus an own goal. Poor, poor Mart Poom.

P.S. GO GO SCOTLAND

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That header for the Estonian own goal was top quality finishing. Seriously.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So the FAI finally got the b***s to dismiss Steve Staunton.......it will be VERY interesting to see who they appoint now.......
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No one talking about poor Jol being fired through a text message?

Poor man, now that I think about it more he really didn't deserve to be fired, I mean yeah wasting 16 million on Darren Bent was really, really, really bad, but look at what else he's done for the team, Tottenham have had moderate success when he was in charge. Well, he's gone now, and now Juande Ramos is in charge, guy doesn't know how to speak English, ooh, more problems for Tottenham.

And this infuriates the crowd more, I watched a segment earlier today on ESPN in which they were asking Spurs fans on the changes, all of them were pissed with Levy, it was pretty funny how they bashed him.

Now they're even talking about getting Kanoute and Christian Poulsen to go to Tottenham. Poulsen wouldn't be too bad.... but would you really need Kanoute? Strikers are crowded enough as it is. Though I would prefer getting Andres Palop if they had to get a Sevilla guy, Paul Robinson's been conceding all over the place. Granted, Palop's nut the best but anything is probably an improvement on Robinson's form.

Speaking of firing managers, Sammy Lee's out, Gary Megson's in, and the Valencia coach was sacked too. Lee is understandable considering Bolton's performance and tendency to give up leads, I'm more surprised about Valencia's coach leaving. Disappointing, really, they're doing quite fine in La Liga actually.

Also, on a side note, you have my word that Blackburn will finish 5th and above Liverpool this season.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

See thats the thing....just how many of those recent transfers did Martin Jol actually sanction?? Or was it Commolli who brought in those players?

As for the way he was sacked....terrible....

Arsene Wenger made a really good point. "The day Arsenal appoint a Director of Football is the day before i leave"

I totally agree with that statement, if you are going to appoint a manager let him get on with the job without any interference. If a manager does not want the players it will only cause unrest....Jose at Chelsea anyone??
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Biggest news in football this year ever since Jose Mourinho's departure from Chelsea.

England failed to qualify for European Cup!

Anyone saw that coming after Russia's failure against Israel?

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

McClaren can kiss his butt goodbye.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He already did!

Gosh, when Portugal's game ended (a 0-0 draw against Finland at home), the comentators said how "England is, for now, classified to the final stages of Euro 2008 with a 2-2 draw against Croatia"... And then they lose!

Well, at least this time we won't have to win against them in penalties again...

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, McClaren has been sacked!

I thought after Israel gifting England qualification and making it theirs to lose never did i actually thought that they would blow it!

Amazing!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a shame England didn't make it but there are things to look forward to:

1. Guessing who the next coach will be from all the famous unemployed names out there.

2. The defeat may finally force some change in the squad.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing that I find quite interesting is the different view of football people on whether English Premier League's massive foreign players are to be blamed for the lack of quaity English players.

David Beckham clearly said that they are not to blame. But Laurent Blanc (remember him?) seemed to be the opposite with him quite firm to say that they needed to focus on their own English players if they want to be successful.

While I can understand Blanc's point, I would have to side with Beckham on this particular case. The fact is simple, England has the quality players that they needed to form a strong team. It's not like England is lacking quality players. Sure there might be less of them who are young rather than old, but the players who got defeated by Croatia are those who can be put in the "Quality Players" category. Blaming foreign players in English Premier League seemed to be a cheap blame and totally unrelated to the issue at hand.

England's First XI vs Croatia:
Scott Carson
Micah Richards
Sol Campbell
Joleon Lescott
Wayne Bridge
Shaun Wright-Phillips
Joe Cole
Gareth Barry
Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard
Peter Crouch

Are they not quality players? They have three "young" players in Carson, Richards, and Lescott. All of whom are having a great season so far in their respective clubs (mind you, playing against those foreign players who seemed to be hogging the chances for English players >.>). Wright-Phillips and Barry are somewhat "new" to the national team, but they are by no means not quality players either. Wright-Phillips has been having a better season than last season, slowly but surely getting his performance back while Barry has been rock steady for Aston Villa for years and had been impressive in the past games for England. They are all quality players. But as Roy Keane said, great players don't necessarily make a great team.

So what went wrong? Here are the things that I think went wrong:

1. Appointing Carson as the goalkeeper.
I said it above that he is having a great season. He was also good against Austria on the friendly match at the weekend. So why was he a mistake? Simply put, he was young and inexperienced in international scene. With the back four being "mix n matched" of zero out of the main four (Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Cashley), putting a new goalkeeper was a mistake as he did not have enough experience to know what would be under pressure while having "second team" back four in front of him.

2. The 4-5-1 formation.
Why? Seriously ... why? Sure England only needed one single point and a draw is good enough to see them through. But seriously .. England is a big team. Why not aim for victory? Why set the bar so low? He knew what Croatia can do. He knew that his back four is not first-choice by any means. So why not try to be more aggressive and try to get that first goal which would set the mood of the game to favor England? Using 4-5-1 formation seemed to be a big mistake that showed the weakness.

3. Frank OR Steven. NOT Frank AND Steven.
This has been beaten up so many times that it's not funny. How many times must we see England failing to do something until the manager has the balls to say that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard cannot play together? Somehow it seemed that the 4-5-1 formation was also used to accomodate them both together while maintaining to have a holding midfielder in the team. BIG mistake.

4. Improperly using 4-5-1 formation.
Not only that using the formation itself is already a mistake, McClaren even failed to use the formation properly. Peter Crouch as a lone forward. What is Peter Crouch good at? His height. That means England would be needed to pump up as many crosses as possible. Where do they cross the ball from? The side of the fields of course. Who played there? Shaun "I can run but can't cross" Wright-Phillips on the right, and Joe "I'm not left footed so I must turn inside to cross" Cole on the left. As much as I hate Steward Downing, at least he can cross from the left reasonably well. Or here's a thought .. put Hargreaves as the holding midfielder and switch Barry to the left. And of course, why not David Beckham on the right? He is still one of the best (if not still the best) player in the world when it comes to making crosses. For a 4-5-1 formation with Crouch up front all alone, why not maximize the formation and appoint players who can make the most out of the formation?

5. Using that FA.com umbrella.
Yup .. afraid of the rain? Why not just watch it on TV in the dressing room as well, Steve? Boo!! Okay number 5 might just be to mock FA's silly umbrella lol.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aurelien wrote:
3. Frank OR Steven. NOT Frank AND Steven.
This has been beaten up so many times that it's not funny. How many times must we see England failing to do something until the manager has the balls to say that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard cannot play together? Somehow it seemed that the 4-5-1 formation was also used to accomodate them both together while maintaining to have a holding midfielder in the team. BIG mistake.

Still waiting for a coach that will have the courage to enforce this, Sven couldn't and McClaren couldn't. You need someone with detatchment like Martin O'Neill or arrogance like Jose to put either Gerrard or Lampard on (I'd prefer Gerrard, to me it's obvious).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: