Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Football (Soccer) 2007/2008 Season
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Football (Soccer) 2007/2008 Season Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well with today's release of the fixture list for next season it is time for a thread for the upcoming season which kicks off on Saturday 11th of August.

Opening Day: 11 August.
Arsenal v Fulham
Aston Villa v Liverpool
Bolton v Newcastle
Chelsea v Birmingham
Derby v Portsmouth
Everton v Wigan
Man Utd v Reading
Middlesbrough v Blackburn
Sunderland v Tottenham
West Ham v Man City

Not really any mouthwatering opening games but Sam going back to Bolton for his first game in charge of Newcastle United should be interesting.

Naturally enough i am going to be watching closely the progress of Sunderland with Roy Keane in charge. I have always liked Roy Keane and i hope that he does well.

So that is less than 4 weeks to the start of the new season, what are your expectations?

My prediction for EPL 07/08:
Champions: Manchester United
Champion's League: Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham
UEFA Cup and/or Intertoto: Arsenal, Bolton.
Relegation: Manchester City, Wigan Athletic, Derby

Some bold predictions there! But hey, it makes it all the more fun.

Last edited by Goldy on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Roy Keane is a cock (sorry Goldy, just my opinion). He ended Alfe-Inge Haaland's career on purpose and admitted so in his biography, he's despicable, what kind of person does that? I do not like him at all and I'm an ex-United fan as well so that's saying something.

My prediction for EPL 07/08:
Champions: Chelsea
Champion's League: Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal
UEFA Cup and/or Intertoto: Tottenham, Newcastle
Relegation: Derby, Wigan, Sunderland

Bolton are going to slide into mid-table obscurity without Allardyce, Paul Jewell will lose his lustre, Newcastle have made a good start to their off-season and Allardyce will shore up their defence enough to overcome Portsmouth to 8th. West Ham will be a safe team if they keep Tevez, Reading will slip a couple of places on their performance this season and Sunderland won't be all that much better than they were when they had Mick McCarthy in charge two years ago, a bit but not enough to avoid last anyway. Liverpool will make the gap smaller to the top two but won't crack it until they pick up a good striker.

Oh and Sanli Tuncay will score quite a few for Middlesboro, they finally made a good purchase/investment.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Last edited by Exile on Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, for the investment they've made so far, I'll put Man Utd as the main contenders for the championship this year. Chelsea needed a boost in confidence, and I don't see them getting it just like that, even with coach as good as Mourinho. Arsenal, L'pool, Tottenham and Newcastle have to become more consistent if they want to conquer the championship.

In Portugal, the League ended about a month ago, and it will only begin in September (although we'll have the Supercup and the newly created League Cup that will begin this season before that), but, of course, Porto for the win!

As a little aside, England is winning against Italy in the U-21 European Cup (Nugent scored first and Lita just now too). And man, that Leroy Lita is capable of the best and the worst on the same play... Oh and Milner is very good.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milner rocks, I've seen him several times for Newcastle and pretty much he has been their best player on the pitch when I watch him (him or Martins), good crosser, good runner, moves around a lot and gets in nice positions and when he lets it go he has a decent shot from range as well. I really like the guy at the moment.

Disappointing result for the Under 21s after such a good start, not too impressed with Stuart 'Psycho' Pearce still I have to say. 2-2 draw with a good Italian side isn't a bad thing but when you're up 2-0 you should win at that level.

Transfer Update

Tal Ben Haim to Chelsea is confirmed on a free after his contract expires.

Joey Barton to Newcastle is finally over and done with as well.

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aparently Manchester United have lodged a £10m bid for the 23 year old Italian Fabio Quagliarella who plays for Sampdoria.

To be honest i have never heard of him. Has anyone else?
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Err wait, how come you guys listed West Brom AND Derby? =/

I think I've heard of that name.... but I don't know much.

My predicitions:

Champion: Manchester United
Champions League: Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal
UEFA Cup and/or Intertoto: Tottenham, Newcastle
Relegation: Wigan Athletic, West Bromwich Albion/Derby (forgot which made it XD), Fulham

Tottenham should probably give Arsenal a challenge for 4th again if we see Berbatov score like mad again. West Ham is going to be better definitely, Tevez has shown how much awesome he can be. Portsmouth is probably going to have a better lineup, but I'll think they'll go to 8th (Go Kranjcar!)

Anyhow, my final rankings (for those not mentioned above:)
1st: Manchester United
2nd: Chelsea
3rd: Liverpool
4th: Arsenal
5th: Tottenham
6th: Newcastle United
7th: Everton
8th: Portsmouth
9th: West Ham United
10th: Aston Villa
11th: Bolton
12th: Blackburn
13th: Reading
14th: Middlesbrough
15th: Sunderland
16th: Manchester City
17th: Birmingham
18th: Fulham
19th: West Bromwich Albion // Derby County
20th: Wigan Athletic (woot!)

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Woops! :mrgreen:

Yeah i meant Derby, not West Brom as they lost to Derby in the Play-Off Final!
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, I just copied Goldy, I pay no attention to the Championship so I just assumed that they beat Derby in the final.

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So Real Madrid have won LaLiga......no surprise there......

Previous LaLiga and Premiership Winners

2001 Real Madrid - Manchester United
2002 Valencia - Arsenal
2003 Real Madrid - Manchester United
2004 Valencia - Arsenal
2005 Barcelona - Chelsea
2006 Barcelona - Chelsea
2007 Real Madrid - Manchester United

:mrgreen:

Last edited by Goldy on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting partnership, go for the repeat Real!

Kidding aside, I was really stunned they won that with RVN going off a third through with hamstring problem and their most popular player Beckham going of after 2/3. Gogo Reyes!

Nice send off for Roberto Carlos and Becks, though.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My EPL 07/08 prediction

1st: Chelsea
I'm surprised that many people (not just you guys here) seem to write them off based on what happened this season. Considering that they lost Cech and Cudicini for a long time and only has that hillarious guy to play in goal (and still has the best defensive record in the league), I would consider them to be really strong next season if they play in full strength.

2nd: Manchester United
As much as I hate them, they're still better than Liverpool and Arsenal by far just because those two are just rubbish (for a "Big Four" club standard that is). So yeah, they get second position by default. Not even going to be a close race. Predicting around 8-10 points behind Chelsea.

3rd: Liverpool
Yeah, they are slightly better than Arsenal who is going to lose Henry and therefore become even more rubbish than they were last season. Liverpool is in trouble when their main target is Yossi Benayoun. >.>

4th: Newcastle United
Yes folks, you read that right. I'm proudly supporting the Magpies now that they have Sam Allardyce at helm rather than the woeful Graeme Souness or Glenn Roeder. If Owen and Martins are to stay, they are going to be strong at the front with Viduka and possibly Alan Smith there too. Having both Barton and Dyer at the same team kinda reminded me of Bowyer-Dyer drama, but I'm banking on Big Sam to calm them down. Given is a strong goalkeeper who finally doesn't have to worry about Titus Crumble anymore. So it's all looking good so far.

5th: Tottenham Hotspurs
It's about time for them to solidify themselves in the Top 5. I'm hoping that they would start to have consistency by playing Berbatov-Keane up front more often as their parternship has proven to be the best pairing in the team so far. And for god's sake, get rid of Ghaly please and stop buying young players based on "potential". It's about time that you guys use those youngsters that you bought before. It's about time that their potentials are happening now.

6th: Arsenal
Yup, disappointing sixth for a team who plays great football but can't score because they won't have a natural goalscorer in their team. Henry will be gone. Adebayor is not good enough. Van Persie will be injured. Baptista is lost. Reyes won't come back. Rosicky and Hleb would have 10 shots attempt per game but like 2 on target and not scoring. Fabregas would cry and leave the next season. But somehow ... they will be sixth.

7th: Bolton Wanderers
Yup yup, you read that right too. Even with Sam Allardyce gone, I still think that Bolton can finish in the Top 8. They have the quality, and they know they can do it. Anelka and Nolan are still great players. It might be risky to rely on Speed and Campo after so long, and Jaaskelainen seems to be going the next season, but I'm sure Bolton can go through to be better.

8th: Blackburn Rovers
Yeah I know, I hate them too. But Gamst Pedersen is just that good. Might drop a few places if they lost Benni though.

9th: Everton
Booo them, but gotta admit that they are pretty solid.

10th: West Ham United
Depending largely on whether Tevez stayed or not. If not, expect to drop some places, possibly just right above the relegation zone like this season.

11th: Reading
Eleventh sounds about right for a team that overachieved last season and might not be able to repeat the same feat this season. Doyle and Lita are still strong pairing up front, but losing Sidwell might be a big problem if not replaced.

12th: Aston Villa
Yeah, that's right, that's right. They are mediocre.

13th: Portsmouth
No Kanu miracle to start the season. No easy points to gain early on. Struggle to perform well.

14th: Middlesbrough
They are like Aston Villa. But worse. Will have a lot of 0-0 results. And yes, Steward Downing is still rubbish.

15th: Manchester City
Read #14.

16th: Fulham
Just survived. Barely somehow.

17th: Birmingham
As above.

18th: Derby County
Welcome back to League One.

19th: Sunderland
Sunderland has a thing called "a curse". The curse is that they will never really stay that long in Premiership. I'm calling for instant return to division one again.

20th: Wigan Athletic (W00T!!!!!)
Archy probably had the same reason, but I'll say it loud and say it proud. You sign Mr. Crumble, you go down. Awooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good bye.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Considering that they lost Cech and Cudicini for a long time and only has that hillarious guy to play in goal

Greatest pun ever.

Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And just to illustrate how bad Hilario was (not really his fault since he is the third choice goalkeeper after all, so it's not like he's expected to keep constant clean sheet), he played all 5 Chelsea EPL games in December 2006. For the whole season, Chelsea conceeded 24 goals. In those 5 matches alone, there was only 1 clean sheet, and Chelsea conceeded 9 goals which is almost 40% of the total goals conceeded already.

Further research showed him conceeding 2 more goals when Chelsea lost 1-2 to Tottenham, and a single goal in Chelsea's 2-1 victory against Portsmouth. I don't know if that's all that he conceeded or not, but that's 12 goals already which is half of what Chelsea conceeded the whole season. Hilario played for a total of 11 EPL matches out of the 38 matches in a season. So he played less than a third of the whole season but conceeded half of the total. >.> Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea would perform much better in 07/08 season.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be true, Hilário was never a great goalkeeper. He was 3 times in FC Porto, just played 1st goalkeeper for half of the first season (coincidently or not, when Porto lost 3 or 4-0 against Man Utd in the Champions Legaue), the 2nd time around he was the 4th (!) goalkeeper, and then 3rd. He was only undisputable 1st goalkeeper in mid-table teams around here, which means he would do great on a mid-table team of the Championship.

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He never got enough play being the third choice goalkeeper so it was pretty much a given that Hilário would suck. I think he did fairly average considering he had to be first choice for a few games whilst they put Cech and Cudicini back together, he made some good saves on occasion. I doubt they put much emphasis on him in training as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: