Suikoden United and Illusional Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The most powerful being in the world!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And just how is Juppo supposed to make a waterproof Gadget without the availability of plastic?

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not everything that's waterproof is plastic, is it?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Highwind wrote:
Maybe he is still working on it during Suikoden III time. XD

Or maybe he's just slacking off somewhere enjoying his life. Who knows.

Highwind wrote:
He HAS to have a disciple (and I don't mean Meg because he doesn't seem to be fond of her) so that his legacy can be continued or something.

Who knows really. And even if he has an apprentice to continue his work, it'd be the apprentice who would be creating the "perfect robot" and not Juppo himself. In the end, Juppo is just not meant to be an important character in the series.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not saying that he has an apprentice, I'm just hoping that he has one that can develop or at least uphold his legacy. It's a waste of technology if it all just dies with him.
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
I don't know about you, but Gadget Z can link up with a freaking Satellite. That's power to me. And the knock a screw loose argument is total bunk. Gadget can go against the Beast Rune Incarnate or True Wind Rune Incarnate and survive. The gadget series robots were made for battle to keep Meg, and then Belle safe while on their journey!

And if Gadget Z can link up with a satellite, who put up the satellite? This would indicate that someone had space travel at some point. I know it was just a fun little detail put in by unthinking game designers, but it is still in the game.

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Highwind wrote:
Not everything that's waterproof is plastic, is it?

True, such as oiled leather or paper, rubber (can even be vulcanized rubber if you add sulfer and heat) or simple grease.

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Gadget Z was also tinkered with by Meg (who doesn't strike me as he brightest bulb in the box), so who's to say she didn't try to "improve" on the original and end up screwing Juppo's design?

And where does this "water" thihg come from? Besides logically saying that a robotic being would be harmed by water, is there a game scene that shows Gadget being incapacitated by water? In the Gaidens maybe? Also, realistically, who carries around a bucket of water in combat anyway? Most enemies would see Gadget and be all like "Holy crap a talking barrel!" and get whacked by his hammer thing. Also, aren't barrels supposed to be waterproof? Isn't that the whole point of a barrel?

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wataru wrote:
And where does this "water" thihg come from? Besides logically saying that a robotic being would be harmed by water, is there a game scene that shows Gadget being incapacitated by water? In the Gaidens maybe? Also, realistically, who carries around a bucket of water in combat anyway? Most enemies would see Gadget and be all like "Holy crap a talking barrel!" and get whacked by his hammer thing. Also, aren't barrels supposed to be waterproof? Isn't that the whole point of a barrel?

The whole water thing is in Suikoden II. There are numerous hints mentioned about it.

And while people don't bring buckets of water, you forgot the rain factor and also Water elemental runic magic. So yeah ..

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, if you talk to Gadget in your castle in Suikoden II, he mentions that he is afraid of water which would explain where the "water thing" came from.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, wood can be water proofed as in the case of a barrel, but that would require a solid seal, which Gadget Z would not have because his frame has to move to support his transformations, negating the whole benifit of sealing the wood anyway!

Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I thought as much. I was thinking waterproof wood, but I was not sure if it even existed. XD

Nothing is impossible in the Suikoden world!!!
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wood can be waterproofed using sealants, usually made with oil (because it both penetrates the wood and pushes away water), but to truely waterproof something made of wood, you need to use water proof substance in cracks and grooves. It's not impossible to waterproof Gadget, but I just don't see it as feasible in the Suikoden world. Even with the astounding randomness of technology at random times. And no wood is naturally waterproof, if that's what you meant. Although a denser wood would be more water resistant.

Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Highwind wrote:
Yeah, I thought as much. I was thinking waterproof wood, but I was not sure if it even existed. XD

Nothing is impossible in the Suikoden world!!!

By sanding the wood down very very smoothly and coating it with very fine layers of linseed oil, waiting till each layer has soaked in until you apply another layer, you can have a very durable finish that can even be repaired and is totally waterproof. I do it on gun stocks all the time. Cracks can be sealed with rubber if Suikoden has rubber trees, or the inner workings could be sealed in a leather or rubber envelope. Vulcanized rubber would be better and that too is possible in that tech level. After all, Suikoden not only has steam power but also oil-powered engines (Kamandohl's boat). And if there are not nylons, there are things that act like them! You can't do Rachel's bodysuit from III with normal silk stockings! This is all very amusing.

On the subject of buckets in battle, maybe you get them from the squirrels who throw them at you!

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Kamandohl created said oil engine. Everyone else thought he was nuts for thinking oil could be used in such a way, so that is not a good representation of current technology levels. Afterall, Atlantis supposedly had technology unheard of even today way back in ancient greek times. And, like I said, it's not impossible to waterproof Gadget, just highly infeasible! There are a lot of intricate steps!

Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TruePerception wrote:
Well, Kamandohl created said oil engine. Everyone else thought he was nuts for thinking oil could be used in such a way, so that is not a good representation of current technology levels. Afterall, Atlantis supposedly had technology unheard of even today way back in ancient greek times. And, like I said, it's not impossible to waterproof Gadget, just highly infeasible! There are a lot of intricate steps!

I submit that waterproofing a robot is one of the simplest of intricate steps. To create an entirely mechanical thing that walks, talks, and fights well is an incredible feat of engineering that we can't even do very well today. It's certainly a whole lot harder than building an oil-burning engine. I'd be inclined to say that he was at least part golem, IE a thing in human form that is animated by magic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: