Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Lazlo's Survival
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tek Jansen wrote:
Sophita wrote:
Can a big green shield really be called a hint? Seems to me they're outrightly saying it is his mom.

Yeah, funnily enough they never confirmed that the Queen of Obel was his mom either. Case of spelling things out without dirctly sayng them.

Yes, but just because they're not directly said doesn't mean it's not canon.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seeing as how there is no offical record of how or why Lazlo was spared, I think that option three is the most likely. We know that runes are sentiant, and operate on a sort of timetale, every action revolving around the true runes has some purpose in the great scheme of things. So it can be assumed that the rune knew the role Lazlo would play in helping the rune accomplish it's ultimate goal (I never finished the game, so I dont know exactly what that would be - but If i'm not mistaken the true runes all have some sort of ultimate goal of some sort, do they not?)

I dont know how his mothers pregnancy while bearing a true rune can affect his affinity towards the rune, I'd always assumed it had to do with his SOD. I dont know.

I hate you Onimaru.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Tek Jansen wrote:
Sophita wrote:
Can a big green shield really be called a hint? Seems to me they're outrightly saying it is his mom.

Yeah, funnily enough they never confirmed that the Queen of Obel was his mom either. Case of spelling things out without dirctly sayng them.

Yes, but just because they're not directly said doesn't mean it's not canon.

That was kind of my point there Sophita...

Anyway yeah, Both things were heavily hinted at but never directly confirmed but because they were so heavily hinted at it's basically a much more artsy way of saying something without stopping and telling you this or that.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Onimaru wrote:
Seeing as how there is no offical record of how or why Lazlo was spared, I think that option three is the most likely.

But there is a record. A green shield protects Lazlo. This green shield is shown again with the Queen, and nowhere else. Seems to me this is a key part of the storyline, and can't really be explained by "well that can happen to anyone" because it ...doesn't.

Quote:
We know that runes are sentiant, and operate on a sort of timetale, every action revolving around the true runes has some purpose in the great scheme of things.

I'd argue the Rune of Punishment seems less so. It jumps randomly from person to person, living as a parasite. It has a limited range of where it can jump, hence it was able to be sealed up in the ruins when a bearer died there with no one else for it to go to. The Runes seem to be a sliding scale of consciousness to me; if the Night Rune is at the top (able to communicate verbally, has a personality!) then the Rune of Punishment is probably at the bottom.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the Rune of Punishment takes memories and not the soul of the bearer, then I suppose from one view it could be argued that the rune itself was acting on these memories and the Queen (herself) had nothing to do with it. I agree that the green shield and the Queen herself make for the most simple and likely theory though.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always assumed that the green shield was just something that Konami threw in just to save Lazlo's butt from the Rune of Punishment. To me, it looks really out of place, spouting out of nowhere for some reason. I guess that the Queen of Obel or Lazlo's mom had something to do about it since the strange green shield appeared to protect her as well. But I'm still leaning towards my first assumption though. That green barrier really looks out of place.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If the green barrier appeared to protect her when she was attacked, I think the most likely explanation then would be because the Rune had a purpose for the both of them, since if we were assuming that Lazlo's mother had somehow protected him when he was attacked by Brandeau, that wouldn't explain why she too was protected, right?

The funny thing is that I haven't heard of any other Rune doing this before, but maybe that's just because the Rune of Punishment had its eyes set on the both of them. In that case, we'll have to start thinking about exactly how sentient this rune truly is.

As for the natural affinity thing, I don't think we've a way to prove that. Certainly, it seems like more than just coincidence that the Rune chose the Queen of Obel and then Lazlo himself, but it's equally possible that the Rune saw something interesting within the both of them.

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Riou's rune protected him, its bearer, but I guess you are right that we don't know about another case in which a rune protects someone it will belong to somewhen in the future...

The Fool
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the only thing we truly know is that the Rune of Punishment acts like a parasite which sucks the life out of its bearer. But when you say that the rune protects Lazlo and the Queen of Obel because it saw something interesting within them, doesn't that contradict what the rune is supposed to do? I mean, by protecting them, the rune somehow prolongs the life of its bearer rather than suck it out, which is what it is supposed to do.

It's rather strange. But if that was the case, then I can assume that the Rune of Punishment also has the ability to see the future, much like Luc's True Wind Rune. I guess that the Rune wanted to change into its atonement phase, and probably saw in the future that Lazlo would be able to do that which is why it protected him. I could be wrong though.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
Well, the only thing we truly know is that the Rune of Punishment acts like a parasite which sucks the life out of its bearer. But when you say that the rune protects Lazlo and the Queen of Obel because it saw something interesting within them, doesn't that contradict what the rune is supposed to do? I mean, by protecting them, the rune somehow prolongs the life of its bearer rather than suck it out, which is what it is supposed to do.

It's rather strange. But if that was the case, then I can assume that the Rune of Punishment also has the ability to see the future, much like Luc's True Wind Rune. I guess that the Rune wanted to change into its atonement phase, and probably saw in the future that Lazlo would be able to do that which is why it protected him. I could be wrong though.

It's either that the rune wanted to reach its other phase or maybe some kind of feeling that Lazlo, who gathers stars and people as Tenkai, may gain more of the rune (or rather vice versa) than some pirate or such...

The Fool
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

It wouldn't be exactly contradictory if we knew what kind of people the Rune of Punishment likes to prey on. Notice firstly that people like Glen, the queen of Obel and Graham Cray are all involved in the military, and we all know that military= A lot of kills. Perhaps the Rune of Punishment not only wanted to feed on the two of them, it also wanted something else?
After all, if it wanted to, it could take their lives sooner or later. It's a Rune, it can wait for a long time to achieve its objectives.

As for your theory that the Rune of Punishment could see the future and it knew that Lazlo could bring it into atonement, that is also likely, assuming that it actually wants to go into atonement for some kind of reason. We know from the FC and Luc that True Rune possess visons of the future after all.

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luceit wrote:
It wouldn't be exactly contradictory if we knew what kind of people the Rune of Punishment likes to prey on. Notice firstly that people like Glen, the queen of Obel and Graham Cray are all involved in the military, and we all know that military= A lot of kills. Perhaps the Rune of Punishment not only wanted to feed on the two of them, it also wanted something else?
After all, if it wanted to, it could take their lives sooner or later. It's a Rune, it can wait for a long time to achieve its objectives.

I for one don't think that the Rune of Punishment has any "favorite" prey for the matter. True Runes have been in the Suikoden world since its beginning, and who knows how many victims have fallen prey to the Rune of Punishment's curse. These victims aren't necessarily from the military, why, I'm quite sure that Graham Cray's boy wasn't from the military, yet the Rune of Punishment still devoured him. There could also be a lot of other bearers of the cursed rune whom we may have not known, and may just be ordinary people who were unlucky enough to receive the rune's curse. My point is that I don't think that the Rune of Punishment has preferences on who it would victimize, rather it goes to the nearest host to prey on him/her, whoever and whatever his personality is. That's just my opinion about it though, and again, I may be wrong.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I for one don't think that the Rune of Punishment has any "favorite" prey for the matter. True Runes have been in the Suikoden world since its beginning, and who knows how many victims have fallen prey to the Rune of Punishment's curse. These victims aren't necessarily from the military, why, I'm quite sure that Graham Cray's boy wasn't from the military, yet the Rune of Punishment still devoured him. There could also be a lot of other bearers of the cursed rune whom we may have not known, and may just be ordinary people who were unlucky enough to receive the rune's curse. My point is that I don't think that the Rune of Punishment has preferences on who it would victimize, rather it goes to the nearest host to prey on him/her, whoever and whatever his personality is. That's just my opinion about it though, and again, I may be wrong.

The problem here is this: If the Rune of Punishment is known to be a parasite type of Rune, what reasons could it have had to 'protect' the Queen of Obel and subsequently, Lazlo?
We don't know the exact nature of these 'random users' to say if there's something unique about them. Certainly, some people bear the True Runes a lot longer than others, but maybe it's just because they got killed very fast. Some of the users may have used the power of the Rune too fast and then they got drained quickly.

By the way, a parasite by nature wants to cling onto its host as long as possible before draining it completely and then discarding it. If that is true of the Rune of Punishment, then it's possible that it jumps onto random people merely to get to a more suitable target that can feed it for a long time. If we knew more about the Queen of Obel, there might be something there that suggests whether my theory can be accepted. Otherwise, as good as this debate gets, it's all just speculation.

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well if the Rune of Punishment, and all true runes really, are sentient and can somehow divine the future (they can destroy fleets, teleport, summon earthquakes, 'etc I dont see why farseeing is outside of the realm of possiblities) then it can be assumed that the runes have a "greater purpose" of sorts.

The raise of a Tenkai and the SODs isn't an everyday occurance, and the runes have passed from person to person in the past without the need for a game devoted to them. So lets assume for a moment that the creators of suikoden have a "plan" and that the games each focus on an important moment in history, and that the actions of those in the game play a part of something bigger, they're "setting the stage" so to say, for some grand event. With any luck each game represents a major change in the world of suikoden. Well then, if this is the case then those moments depeicted in the games are pivotal, and the world is moving forward towards this "greater goal" whatever that may be (the apocolypse, end of runes, worldwide salvation..whatever).

So under this assumption that the world is actually going somewhere, and that the games arn't just made to show us some stuff that overall isn't very important. It's not hard to assume that the true runes are part of this "greater goal", so why wouldn't the rune of punishment single out Lazlo when it sees the destiny he has to fufill? Why wouldn't it want to attach itself to someone of such historic importance, and if it ends up choosing lazo, and eventually moving into it's attonment phase, why isn't it possible that it knew what the end result would be and made that decision?

I hate you Onimaru.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luceit wrote:
If we knew more about the Queen of Obel, there might be something there that suggests whether my theory can be accepted. Otherwise, as good as this debate gets, it's all just speculation.

Yeah, you are right in saying that. Unfortunately, not enough facts are known about the Queen of Obel and the Rune of Punishment to be able to deduce any real conclusion. The best (and probably the only thing) we can do right now is to speculate based on what little information we are given, which is what we are doing at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: