Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Lazlo's Survival
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Lazlo's Survival Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There seem to be conflicting views as to why Lazlo was not killed when Brandeau used the Rune of Punishment on him early on in Suikoden IV.

Theories:

1. Lazlo had a natural affinity with the Rune of Punishment as he was born whilst the Queen of Obel had the rune itself.

2. The spirit of the Queen of Obel (or the memories of her) living inside the Rune of Punishment saved Lazlo by interfering with the spell being cast, protecting only Lazlo.

3. The Rune of Punishment itself chose not to kill Lazlo, perhaps seeing the future it would have with him somehow.

There might be more, and since there is no official story on this (to my knowledge) what do you think the most appropriate is, or likely to be? My personal opinion at this point in time makes me think number one is the most likely. This would explain why Lazlo is able to use it for a longer period of time without dying in comparison to the people who had it before him and died using it only once or twice. However this part of the theory can be rebutted by the supposed power of the stars of destiny helping Lazlo, and his survival not being his own doing at all.

Last edited by Ujitsuna on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lazlo's mother's spirit residing in the Rune of Punishment protects him somehow. That and the ever-helpful 108 Stars of Destiny.

Also, the Rune of Punishment moved from Graham Cray to his son, not the other way around.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Lazlo's mother's spirit residing in the Rune of Punishment protects him somehow. That and the ever-helpful 108 Stars of Destiny.

But Lazlo hadn't recruited any of the stars of destiny at that point in time.

John Layfield wrote:
Also, the Rune of Punishment moved from Graham Cray to his son, not the other way around.

Oops, yeah you are right, I think I'll edit that part out.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mother at the start, for the whole Brandeau thing. Both for the whole "The Rune of Punishment is now in its atonement phase, so go nuts with it, kiddo." part.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It could have also been, Brandeau was on his last legs of life, and just didn't have the power to kill anybody. If I remember, there were several others there that didn't die from the spell. I'll admit it's not fresh in my mind, but Brandeau was just about dead himself, and there were Knights in front of him then it was Glenn and finally behind them all, was Lazlo.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A green shield literally appeared in front of Lazlo, stopping the spell from hitting him.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Couldn't that have been his affinity to the rune though? A shield showing up doesn't seem like the rune itself protecting Lazlo, seems more like an external thing.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's also "coincidentally" (and if you believe it's a coincidence, I'm leaving right now) the exact same shield that surrounds his mother at the end of the game.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lazlo’s affinity being a reason is mostly speculation due to the fact that there is no source that explains how people gain affinities nor that they can do much more than increasing damage and the such. Had Lazlo’s affinity been the reason it would have been explained and seems much less intriguing than his mother protecting him, which was what was hinted the reason being.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I hope Uji didn't mean to say that Lazlo survived because he had an S in Punishment magic compared to Brandeau's C. :P Because, if he is I'll hunt him down and strangle him myself.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can a big green shield really be called a hint? Seems to me they're outrightly saying it is his mom.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did it? Shows how much I remember of that particular game. I'll have to take a look at it. Then yeah, I'll go with the spirit of his mother inside the Rune protecting him.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Can a big green shield really be called a hint? Seems to me they're outrightly saying it is his mom.

Yeah, funnily enough they never confirmed that the Queen of Obel was his mom either. Case of spelling things out without dirctly sayng them.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AT Field, anyone? :P

I definately dont remember the thing about his mother at the end of the game.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that's nice to know but she's there.

PS She is the Queen of Obel. :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: