Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

30 Days of Night
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: 30 Days of Night Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is one movie I'm really looking forward to seeing this year. It's coming this fall and probably very close to Halloween and that should be a very appropriate release date. That's the time for horror movies and this movie should count as hard horror.

The movie I am talking about is the film adaptation of the very popular and critically-acclaimed horror graphic novel from writer Steve Niles. 30 Days of Night is straight-out horror featuring vampires the way they should be. They're not stylized vamps of Underworld or the angst-ridden, lace and velvet wearing androgynous undead made popular by Anne Rice. Steve Niles' vampires are monsters to their core while hiding behind the punk-gothic facade. These are the ultimate outsiders.

The plot of the story is pretty simple. Up near the Arctic Circle, the town of Barrow, Alaska experiences an event where the Earth's rotation causes for a month-long night to descend on the town. For the town's inhabitants it's a yearly routine, but this year a group has decided that 30 days of pitch-black night means a chance to feed their appetites on a town full of people who have forgotten the old stories and tales of things which go bump in the night.

the director chosen by Sam Raimi is a new and upcoming director who directed a movie last year I consider one of the ten best. David Slade's work on the thriller Hard Candy was excellent and his indie cred and style should lend for some tense sequences in 30 Days of Night

30 Days of Night teaser from IGN

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, this movie just went up on my must-see Halloween season movie list. They really got the look of the comic book down from the skewed look of the vampires down to the down and dirty violence from the book. They look to have expanded on certain parts of the graphic novel but I don't mind it much. The exclusive scene really brings home one of the more disturbing scenes in the movie.

This one is both a red band extended trailer and a red band exclusive scene.

30 Days of Night red band extended trailer and exclusive scene

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw this trailer while going to see I Know Who Killed Me (It was a horrible movie, unfortunately). Though this movie looks pretty interesting, I'll probably see it when it comes out.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At first i was "eh" about the trailer, but the scene with the little girl was cool. Although I hate how every scary little kid says "Wanna play?" No, I don't, stop being so stereotypically 7. I loved when she attacked, and they jsu like..picked her up and owned her.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another Vampire movie......at least this one looks interesting!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This movie and the graphic novel it's adapted from is one reason why I would never live in Alaska or anywhere near the North Pole. Any night that lasts 30 days or more is not going to be a fun place to live in.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

my old roommate had the dead space arc so i had skimmed through those in between sandman issues. i'm excited for this movie, and it'll be awesome based entirely on the fact that josh hartnett is in it.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, just a couple more days and the movie comes out. Of all the horror movies coming out this year this one (with the exception of Romero's latest in Diary of the Dead) is one I'm really looking forward to. I still haven't seen if the multiplex near my house will have a midnight showing, but if it does then I shall watch this movie in the proper way and that's at midnight. I haven't decided whether I should walk to and from the theater (20 minute walk from my house) for that midnight showing.

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't wait to see Josh Hartnett!
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Go on Tull! Walk it, the exercise will do you good....plus maybe you can brush up on your survival skill along the way! :P
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, running into something spooky would be the last thing I'd be worried about. Now getting jacked up and shot. Now that's something that could easily happen. Vampires over thugs? I'd take the vampires.

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm also looking forward to seeing this movie. If I'm lucky, I will be able to convince some friends to go watch it with me when it comes out. I think the promise of ultra-violence should be enough to engage their interest. Sadly, I haven't seen most of the trailer and I only know broad aspects of the plot. Still, it looks original enough for a vampire movie to arouse my interest.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've read the graphic novels so this is a new take on the vampire story. Not really much of a spoiler to give away since its the basic premise of the story and movie being pushed by the media ads and commercials. The plot pretty much has a group of vampires deciding what better place to hunt humans for food than a place where night time lasts 30 days or so due to it's geographical location being near the Arctic Circle. The story and movie is of the horror-siege variety. People inside and monsters outside trying to get them except this time around there's no place to hide from the monsters.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll have to wait for the DVD as I can guarentee that our technically-two cinemas (three whole screens in total) won't be showing anything that is likely to cause nightmares.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw the movie last night and I think it was exactly what I expected. A very entertaining vampire film. I like how they spin the usual vampire story with the Alaskan setting. I can imagine it being scary enough having 30 straight days of night, and throwing in vampires into the mix just made a perfect(if not, at least a very good and effective one) combination of setting and theme.

Just today I read about how there's other books for the 30 Days of Night franchise. I wonder if they'll bother with translating any of those to film if this one proves successful enough.

My only qualm with the movie is the lack of information on the Vampires, but I suppose that helped keep them being very evil and mysterious to the spectator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: