Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Concerts in Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Concerts in Review Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's not really a specific thread for this, so I thought I'd start a new one. Post up summaries of shows you go to here. Something tells me I'm going to be the only person contributing to this. >_>

So I saw The Tossers and Clutch last night. I'd never heard of Clutch and was kind of disappointed that they were headlining instead of The Tossers, but it worked out well that way ultimately. The opening band on the tour didn't show, so everyone had to wait around for two and a half hours after the doors opened before they got any music. Everyone was getting really livid about it and shouting for Clutch over and over again even though they weren't the band coming out first, and I heard a ton of comments about how the opening act would probably suck and Clutch should just skip them. Man were they in for a surprise. :)

The Tossers came out and wasted a good ten minutes setting up and mic checking even though we'd been waiting two and a half hours, and the singer piss drunk. He lit a cigarette, opened a beer with his teeth, and started blabbering incoherently in to the microphone to occasional booing and a generally unaccepting audience. After a couple minutes I could finally make out from his mutterings "this first one's called Good Mornin Da". From that point on the show was amazing. I'd really hoped they would open with this song, and sure enough the audience was kicked in the teeth from the get-go with one of the most energetic songs in their repertoire. For those of you not familiar with The Tossers, they're an Irish folk punk band very similar to Flogging Molly. I was amazed by how many songs I knew here to be honest. I only have one of their cds and assumed they only had one or two to their name, but checking out the booth beforehand I discovered they'd a good five or six. I was disappointed, thinking I'd only recognize a song or two, but as it turned out I knew nearly everything they played. They followed up the opening song with "I've Persued Nothing". After three or four songs the audience had fully gotten over themselves, and the most interesting take on a 'pit' I've ever experienced opened up. I've been in pretty hostile mosh pits before, and pretty friendly ones likewise, but nothing came close to this. People were hugging each other and bashing around with their arms on their shoulders in some quirky amazing cross between heavy metal moshing and Irish dancing. I had someone pick me up from behind, spin me around in the air, and toss me up into the middle of the crowd. I've never seen anything like that in a pit before and it was fabulous - all in good fun. Lately I don't really drink, but I busted out a few Guinness in honor of these guys, and I'd say half the group were knocking around with some sort of drink in their hands. It was a sign of the spirit of things - not a single person was there just to get roughed up. Mid-way through the set the band broke off from their own music and played a couple traditional Irish songs. I didn't know the first, but it was delightful as any song of the sort is, and they followed it with The Irish Rover. The pit didn't limit itself to a circle in the middle of the audience - people were dancing all the way up to the front row against the stage. These same people that had been booing and calling for Clutch while the group set up were having the times of their lives. I don't think I've been to a show before where the audience was that alive, and let me tell you it was the music that did it, not the people. A+ on this one, I can't wait to see them again. I was chatting with the violinist afterwards and she told me they'll hopefully be coming through again in October.

Clutch I'd never heard before, and I kind of expected them to suck based on my assessment of the people who came to see them. I was wrong. They weren't a style I'd really get in to studio-wise; I couldn't see myself buying an album. Nevertheless, they were worth sticking around for. Their music sounded very simplistic on first listen, but they were really in tune with each other. That is to say, everyone was playing one thing. The instrumentation blended very well in to one sound with everyone highlighting each other rather than playing their own things over top one another. The venue was about as packed as I've seen it, so they opened up the walls on the side to accommodate. I subsequently acquired the best vantage point in the house, on an elevated platform off to the side but close enough to stage that I could see everything up close and personal with my own private poll to lean on. Having never heard them before I wasn't much interested in bashing around center stage anyway. They played a very solid bluesy rock and roll set, all accented with a harmonica, and closed their encore with the only song I'd happened to listen to before going there to get a feel for them. I certainly wasn't expecting a band I'd barely heard who'd been around since 1990 to close with the one song I knew.

I picked up some merchandise in between sets: The Tossers - Agony and The Tossers - The Valley of the Shadow of Death along with a pretty cool t-shirt.

This show gets at least an A- all around from me, and having been to 51 gigs that's a pretty high ranking. If you ever get a chance to see The Tossers live, don't pass it up!
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It be a shame to have this thread not alive.

So, at the last Ozzfest, I got to see Iron Maiden

It was an explosive show! They played for about an hour (I can't even remember the songs) and Bruce Dickinson was all over the place. They had like....a wall behind them, with stairs on each side. He would run up and down them, jumping off, doing rock and roll kicks. He ran backstage, came out in an old British soldier Uniform witht eh Union jack Flag, he was so fast! Then Eddie came out (The giant skeleton fromt he album covers) He was like 15 feet tall, and was an amazing stage presence. Very real looking. They had statues that shot fire, just a great stage setting. I don't even need to say the music was good. They're Iron Maiden, they rock so incredibly hard. If any rock fans ever get a chance to see Maiden live, you'd be a fool to pass it up. In my opinion (and th eopinion of others) they put on the greatest show in music. Them and KISS.

Iron Maiden: A+

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mmm, I saw Iron Maiden in 2003 with Motorhead and Dio. It stands as one of my all-time favorite concert experiences. It's by far my favorite arena show (Boris, Isis, and The Decemberists might give it some competition if we step down the venue size.) Bruce's stage presence was overwhelming, and any given time during a duel solo the third guitarist was twirling his guitar up in to the air above him high than I can toss a baseball.

Funny story about that show, my friends and I took our senior trip a few weeks prior to a fishing camp in Tionesta, Pennsylvania, which happens to lie on the state road 666. This road sign (along with a number of others) found their way into the back of my friend's truck by the end of the week. We took it to the show to wave around for The Number of the Beast, completely blotting out the concept that the security probably wouldn't think highly of sporting stolen government property. In a somewhat alcohol-induced glee two of us started sprinting up and down the parking lot full of tailgaters waving the sign in the air and shouting. A cop patrolling the area for troublemakers of this sort stopped beside us and asked where the sign came from, so my friend, subtle and sly as ever, grabbed the nearest bystander, thrust it in to his arms, shouted "It's this guy's!" and we bolted from the scene. Our strategy to disguise ourselves and not get caught afterwards was to swap white t-shirts. They would never recognize us in different clothing! Somehow this worked and the show that followed was a blast.

The cooling fan went out in my car on the way there too, so I had to turn the heater on full blast in the middle of the summer. It was pouring down rain but we had to leave the sun roof open anyway, and as soon as we hit traffic one of my friends leapt out of it and started showing and flashing metal horns at all of the potential concert-goers around us. mmm, good times.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sounds of the Underground 2007 in short review:

Goatwhore started their set almost as soon as the doors opened. I got there an hour early and still didn't get to hear a single song by them. How disappointing. This is Hell followed, and I barely remember them. I only got to hear the last two songs, once again, because they played before hardly anyone got through the gate. What I heard didn't impress me. The Devil Wears Prada were up next. I expected garbage from their name but they were pretty decent - very energetic. It turns out they were a Christian band, which didn't surprise me. They had that sort of karma around them. It was a sort of screamo/metal crossover, which can be very annoying but worked in their case.

The Number Twelve Looks Like You were next and one of my main reasons for going to the show. They were very frantic and awesome. Someone had told me they sort of sold out, but I didn't see it. The vocals were good the music very technical without sounding pretentious in the slightest. Call them mathcore or metalcore, it was good either way. The Acacia Strain followed. They were ok hardcore. Considering Terror was on the billet as the hardcore act last year though they had a lot to live up to and did not exactly succeed. The next band was Heavy Heavy Low Low and they bored me to tears. They tried to be quirky metalcore screamo/metal hybrid, but it didn't work at all. Way too many bands on the billet fell in to that genre in the first place, and they stood out only for trying too hard.

Amon Amarth were up next - the only straight up metal act on the set. They certainly aren't my favorite band, but it was good to be able to flash the horns around a bit and not feel like a poser. The band headbanged in tune with eachother for half the songs, their hair swirling in synchronized windmills. Good stuff. Darkest Hour were next. I don't have much to say about them. They weren't bad, but they were very forgettable. I found myself failing to pay attention a number of times. Job for a Cowboy on the other hand were astounding. Retrospect. told me they've gone downhill a lot of late, but I certainly didn't see it. These guys were as grindcore as it gets. I found myself headbanging where appropriate, something I'd figured I'd only be able to do for Amon Amarth, and the vocals were the sort that make your eyes bug out of your head and tumble to the ground.

Necro were next. What an abhorrent joke. These guys were the biggest posers in the universe. He just played a mix tape of metal classics - and by classics I mean all the 80s stuff I don't care for like Anthrax - and tried to rap over them. It was so bad it was entertaining for a while, but the novelty wore off long before the set ended. Chimaira followed. Chimaira suck so much it boggles my mind. They have the lyrical creativity of Slipknot (fuck life, misery befalls us all, I cut myself and cry myself to sleep each night but am not emo because I have HATE YEAH) and the musical talent of a 12 year old. I saw these guys in 2003 opening for Soilwork and In Flames and thought they sucked something awful then. Since they're hugely popular now I was expecting some improvement. Instead they'd gotten astoundingly worse.

Every Time I Die were next. I heard them a while ago and were expecting them to be as bad if not worse than Chimaira - some poser scene metalcore garbage. Apparently I had them confused with someone else, because they were great. They looked absolutely legitimate, with one guitarist sporting a beer gut the size of Texas, head to toe in tattoos, a metal beard, and an 80s band patch adorned metal jacket. The other guitarist sported a Freddy Mercury mustache and haircut and was likewise covered in tattooes, and he rocked the hell out. Their vocals weren't very good, but all in all they were well worth seeing. I might go to their show again if they play San Antonio, but I wouldn't drive out of my way for them or buy a record. Shadows Fall were next and thus placed themselves into that elite class of bands I've seen three times. They were the same as always - not quite 'metal' but close enough that it didn't bother me. They didn't play Destroyer of Senses unfortunately, but I still enjoyed it and was able to pretend I was hearing a true non-commercialized metal band. They're still a little too pop for my taste - I would never go to a show just to see them - but I enjoyed it.

Just a heads up, the rest of this is kind of vulgar/offensive. Skip it if such things bother you:

GWAR finished up. This was also the third time I got to see them live. The set was rushed a bit and the stage antics the weakest overall of the three times I'd seen them, but that being said they were still holy crap GWAR. They had a whole new selection of things to butcher on stage. Lordi's impaled head on a stick was the first guest. They opened by apologizing for anyone who wanted to see the 'other monster band instead', then Oderus proceeded to receive a blood splattered blowjob from his severed head throughout the first song. Seung-Hui Cho followed after a bit, spraying people with blood capsules out of two pistols until they unceremoniously decapitated him. A bit later Oderus found what I had to stare at for a little while to recognize a gut-splattered dog with a tire tread throught he middle and thoroughly sodomized it while it shot random fluids out the other end. They also cut up "That guy from the opening band" after smashing him with a two ton crack rock, and I got to see a third time return of the "GWAR fan" who gets the honor by being their biggest fan of being ritually disembowled in hell every night they play. :) They finished it up by revealing their two biggest props in the same show, the first time I'd seen them do so. Jewcifer and T-Rex both battled Oderus and each other for a while before being sliced apart a good bit and retiring off the stage.

My favorite GWAR experience will always be the second time I saw them. They played in a small venue supporting their Beyond Hell tour, and in addition to being up front getting splattered with fake blood, urine, and semen throughout I got to enjoy a thorough emphasis on the GWAR universe. It was the most plot-oriented set I'd seen by them, traveling through various levels of hell to cut up the Nazi Pope, Bill Gates, and other guardians of the dimension before the grand revelation of Jewcifer, a character so tall his horns knocked against the ceiling.

Anyway, Sounds wasn't as great as 2006, but I enjoyed it. I could see GWAR a dozen times and not be bored with them.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, I saw Vital Remains on Saturday. The lineup was supposed to be Ayasoltec, Manifestation, Disfigured, Upon a Burning Body, Kill the Client, Unmerciful, The Absence, and Vital Remains. Two of those bands didn't make it, but as I'd never heard of Upon a Burning Body it didn't really bother me that they were missing. The absence of The Absence was a little more annoying. Keeping with their namesake, they've now failed to play when they were supposed to two times that I've gone to see them. They dropped off the Vital Remains tour "because they wanted more money" a couple people were saying. I got the distinct vibe throughout the show that they didn't part on exactly friendly terms and were kind of sticking it to their fans, but who knows. That's the second time I got screwed out of seeing them. I went to a show they were opening for last year and they started the set before the doors were even scheduled to open.

That being said, the Vital Remains show was awesome. I almost didn't go to it. I kind of changed my mind at the last minute because I was bored and headed up to Austin. All of the bands were chilling outside before the doors opened, so while I didn't know their music well enough to bother talking to them personally I got to hear a lot of interesting conversations with the fans. The opening act, Ayasoltec, were local and nothing special, but the singer could belt out amazing death metal vocals for a scrawny white boy. They had a very bizarre lineup. A little black metal looking kid on vox, a chick drummer, a black bassist, a Mexican rhythm guitarist, and Layne Staley's clone on guitar, forever trapped in the early 90s but able to tear it up on guitar. Manifestation followed, another local band made up of three Mexicans, the frontman of which was easily 250lbs. He rocked out though, and I think I enjoyed them musically the most of the opening acts. When Disfigured took the stage the prior bassist never left, and filled in doing double duty for the next band. Once again all hispanic (by god Mexicans know their death metal) the singer/guitarist was completely nuts. They weren't as good, I'll say, as the prior band, but they had the most charisma. The singer just went nuts the whole time and was a delight to watch. I should also point out that the first three bands all used the same drum set. I love local scenes. :)

Kill the Client were the first touring band to take stage. I'd listened to the frontman talk for a while earlier about how he'd had knee surgery and was playing with a cane for a while and everything. Well, he'd fully recovered today. He was going absolutely nuts, with brutal screaming vocals backed by grindcore. He took a flying leap off the stage in to the pit for a bit, smashed a beer can on his head, and was all around on fire. It was very good. Unmerciful were up next and were pretty, um, unmerciful? They played a solid set of brutal death metal, and I picked up their album, "Unmercifully Beaten" afterwards. These guys had enough power behind them to be headlining with a lot of other bands, but luckily they weren't the high note of the night as Vital Remains was to follow. These guys were.... wow. I'll just say this was probably the most 'metal' metal show I've been to since Jag Panzer, In Flames, and Iced Earth in 2002. I didn't even recognize more than one of their songs and I was still way the hell in to it, headbanging and going nuts right up against the stage. They had all the strength of a real, undeterred by money or fame, straight up heavy metal band of the highest caliber, with a history to support their worth (they were formed in 1989). All in all, absolutely fabulous show. True metal concerts like this are few and far between.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Talk about a great time, I got to see twelve performances while on vacation this month, including four of my all time favorites. If that weren't good enough, let me mention that they were almost all free. I saw The Clarks with opening act The Alternative Routes at a free festival at Heinz Field the night I flew in to Pittsburgh, then headed about an hour east to Johnstown for the two day Johnstown Folkfest. The Tossers, a celtic punk band sitting proudly in my Last.fm top 15, played two free two hour sets, closing out all night. I have to say no other band in the world I've seen comes close to being half as fun as these guys. All three times I've seen them they got completely shitfaced throughout the set and the whole audience was drinking and dancing and having a blast. They were a bit vulgar for a free public event, but no one seemed to mind too much because whole families were up around the stage dancing and singing. They played enough traditional Irish songs that I figure everyone recognized something even if they didn't know their own works. Here's a song for you all to give you an idea of how much of a blast this was. To top it all off the festival had Yuengling, the greatest lager in the world and something you can only find in Pennsylvania, on sale for $3 and more Polish food than you can shake a stick at. This is a live cover of traditional Irish song "The Irish Rover":

The Tossers - The Irish Rover (live)

And here are the gig photos that made it on to Last.fm:

After all that my family took our traditional trip down to our place in Canaan Valley, West Virginia and we saw some no name touring folk musician, David LaFleur, at The Purple Fiddle, a very tiny restaraunt and folk/bluegrass venue in the town of Thomas. I took a lengthy break from the onslaught of music to let my ears recover some, but that wasn't the end of it. No sir. On the 13th I made a four and a half hour drive out to Philadelphia to witness two more of my favorite bands, Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys. This was supposedly the first time they ever played together, and good god was it amazing. I bounced around in the pit for the first half of Flogging Molly and then made my way to the front row to sing until my voice was utterly gone and get my lungs bashed in in a throng of drunken revelers singing and dancing like the world would end tomorrow. It was wonderful, and the venue supplied an endless tap of Guinness for the occasion. For Dropkick Murphys I made my way to the back and enjoyed them from more of a distance, taking in the music as a whole rather than thrashing about. Great great time. Here are the setlists for the four big acts I was dying to see. I probably missed a few tracks, but this is close. There might be a few here that weren't actually played, but I think I remembered it proper. I didn't catch every Dropkick song since I don't know their complete discography. These aren't in the order they played them, so I'll just make it alphabetical:

The Clarks
Better Off Without You
Born Too Late
Boys Lie
Caroline
Cigarette
Hell on Wheels
Help Me Out
Let It Go
Mercury
Penny on the Floor
Shimmy Low

The Tossers (2 means they played it both days)
Aye Sir
Be
Black is the Color
Buckets of Beer (2)
Danny Boy
Dicey Riley (2)
Did It All For You
Dirty Old Town
Goodmorning Da' (2)
I've Pursued Nothing
Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye
Never Enough
No Loot, No Booze, No Fun (2)
Paddy Works on the Railway (2)
Preab San Ol (2)
Seven Drunken Nights
Siobban (2)
South Australia
The Crock of Gold
The Irish Rover (2)
The Parting Glass (2)
The Wind That Shakes the Barley (2)

Flogging Molly
A new song
Black Friday Rule
Devil's Dance Floor
Drunken Lullabies
If I Ever Leave This World Alone
Salty Dog
Screaming at the Wailing Wall
Selfish Man
Seven Deadly Sins
The Likes of You Again
Tobacco Island
What's Left of the Flag

Dropkick Murphys
Barroom Heros
Captain Kelly's Kitchen
Citizen CIA
For Boston
I'm Shipping Up to Boston
Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced
The Auld Triangle
The Warrior's Code

Here are all the bands I ended up seeing:
Quote:
Code:
The Alternate Routes                20070831
The Clarks                          20070831
Eric Lindel                         20070901
Last Train Home                     20070901
The Tossers                         20070901
AJ Croce                            20070902
Too Slim & The Taildraggers         20070902
The Tossers                         20070902
David LaFleur                       20070903
Everybody Out!                      20070913
Flogging Molly                      20070913
Dropkick Murphys                    20070913

Last edited by Shad on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, as September comes to a close I can say I managed to knock out seven concerts in one month. I've never checked back to see, but I'm sure that's a record for me. Since getting back in San Antonio I saw Katatonia with Insomnium and a few acts I didn't know (Scar Symmetry, Swallow the Sun, Noctura) then went to the tour of the year. A band called Coliseum opened. I'd not heard of them but they were good enough to pick up an album. The rest of the night's line up: Panthers, Mono, High on Fire. Trying to make sense of that combination will make your head spin, but good god was it awesome. I may have seen better individual bands live than any one of them, but as a tour over all that was easily the show of the year. I think I spent about $100 on merchandise and rendered my neck immobile for the next 72 hours.

So then I saw Epica last night. Wow. Haha, wow. I went to this purely out of boredom and figured I'd spend more time watching the football game than the actual band. The first act, local band Revolution Trip, were absolutely terrible, and the other band on the tour proper, Visions of Atlantis, were generic and dull, but Epica was fantastic. The guitarist/singer had awesome black metal style vocals, and Simone was both breathtaking and very respectable. She eschewed the pretentiousness I find in nearly every other band of the genre (the opening act was no exception) and really performed from the heart.

There were only three acts, one of which was local. There were supposed to be four but the other local band was missing in action. Visions of Atlantis was short a drummer too, so the Epica dude filled in and played both sets. Good show, all around. Epica went from being pretty low on the totem pole to being a really decent band in my eyes.

If there was a down side to their performance, it was only that Simone forgot to throw herself in to my arms and ask me to take her as my wife.

Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Today I went to see Tiger Army, with Street Dogs and Los Angeles act Imperative Reaction supporting them. This gig was so-so. Being a not so huge fan of any of the acts involved I actually enjoyed Street Dogs more than Tiger Army. Both were pretty cool though. Not the best gig I've been to by a long shot, but a fun way to pass a Monday night. I don't think I've ever seen The White Rabbit, San Antonio's only music venue for 95% of the national acts that roll through, half this crowded for any other event besides GWAR. With GWAR though I expected such a crowd. Tiger Army? I had no idea they were this huge. In fact, I'm pretty sure they aren't. With 1.6 million plays on Audioscrobbler, they're certainly big but by no means overwhelming. Perhaps San Antonio has some underground punk scene I've only just now discovered.

This might have been the most packed show I've been to here actually. GWAR only have a bit less than 1 million plays, granted they're much better known for their theatrics than their music, but I was up in the front for that show getting tossed about the whole time so I didn't get much of a feel for how many people were actually there. I know it was one of the only two shows at this place where I had to wait in line (though I feel as though the other, featuring Between the Buried and Me, Misery Signals, and the worthlessness that is Fear Before the March of Flames and Norma Jean, had decidedly less people.) Regardless, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Tiger Army pulled a bigger audiance than all but the GWAR show, with Clutch with The Tossers and Between the Buried and me and co being the only two other shows that came close. Funny how the Epica concert last night, despite being decidedly better, only had a few hundred in attendance where this one pulled thousands. They told us were were their best audiance in Texas, and I believe it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: