Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Smash Brothers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Raze, I do use Sheik and Falco, but Ganondorf is just too slow. He is really strong, but his moves are also slow. They are good sheildbusters though. Still, he is terrible when running and vulnerable when airborne.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I only played the GameCube one, it is one of the fun games that you would love to play with others, and I much prefer to play it with others than to play it alone.

The fighting style was fun, the characters were fun, and beating each other is also fun.

I'm not an expert in this game, and I didn't really master many moves in it but I didn't either find any trouble remembering most of them.

It was more simpler and easier than other "fighting games" or to be exact games that have a lot of moves.

Anyway, my favorite and most used character is Kirby, he/it is of course cute (much cuter than Pikachu) I want to eat him ^_^, and is the easiest one for me to fight as since is able to fly away whenever there is trouble.

I liked his moves very much, and my favorite one was the ability to swallow and transform to that character although it wasn't that useful or maybe it is but I don't know how to use it, In any case, I only do it for fun.

Aside from my favorite things in this game, being able to play as many favorite characters from different games is something thrilling, if I hate one character I just beat him to the ground with another character I love or least hate.

This game is the fun ^.^.

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah so many pleasent memories of this game. I used to completely own in the N64 version. I generally used Link or Mario in the original, but once I got Ness I started to use him. I was really good with him for a while. However after I took an extended break I could never get back into the groove of using him again.

In the Gamecube version my character choices didn't change much. I still used Link and Mario, but I added one of the new characters to my selection. That character is the god known as Roy. I absolutely love the way he fights. I have never been able to completely master his double edge dance unfortunatly though. My only complaint is that he lacks any ranged attacks. I have a good freind though who can beat me regardless of which character he is playing as. Although I can almost match him when he plays as Roy.

My favorite stage in the gamecube version is Hyrule Temple because I know every trick to fighting in that stage. Another good stage is Final Destination becuase it is just your raw skills against your opponent's without any distractions.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My stage favorites were:

Hyrule Temple (due to its size)

Final Destination/Battlefield (lack of distractions)

DK Jungle 64 (very well balanced area with manageable distractions)

Rainbow Cruise/Pokefloats (easy to navigate w/experience and can do much with it to trick your opponents)

Big Blue (lots of fun tricks and very good for jumping characters)
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite stage would have to be Hyrule as well. It has alot of room to fight in and it is my personal favorite to lure opponents into the lower section and continously bounce them off of the ceiling to get their percentage to skyrocket before slamming them into the side of the arena at breakneck speed.
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, it is time to discuss items.

Love: Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Bat, Metal Box, Parasol, Green Shell, Motion Sensor Bomb

Hate: Hammer, Flipper, Food, Starman, Super Scope
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The hammer isn't so bad. I can think of moves that can counter that Hammer. Sometimes, they lose the sledge part of it also. I think the best item is the bat; not for swinging but for throwing.

I can't play Dorf too well. I'll leave him to everyone else. I use Marth, Fox, Falco, Mario, and Doc. I also use the occasional Jiggs, and Yoshi. Marth is my best mostly because of that broken f-air. :D

As for stages, Pokemon Stadium is the fairest one for me. I can't stand Hyrule thanks to its "Chamber of Life" (area below) Everyone techs off the walls so many times that it takes a long time to take a life.

Oh, to generate more discussion, here's the widely acepted (but not really official) tier list.

Top:

Shiek
Fox
Marth

Upper

Falco
Peach
Captain Falcon
Samus
Jigglypuff

High

Gannondorf
Mario
Dr. Mario
Luigi

Mid

Link
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Roy
Zelda
Young Link
Yoshi

Lower

Ness
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Mr. Game & Watch
Mewtwo

Bottom

Bowser
Pichu

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with that for the most part. I do believe that Falco is better than Fox though. I'll list my reasons.

Falco has a good jump, a meteor smash, a stunning gun move, and a slower falling speed than fox.

Fox has a fast gun move, a quicker running speed.

I see more pros in Falco than in Fox. It is a matter of opinion which gun (B move) is better.

I would (In the list), move up Ice climbers, switch Falco and Fox, move up DK, move up Link, lower Zelda, move up Roy, and lower the mario bros and the doc.
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My friends still show up at my house to this day and demand we play Smash Bros Melee for eight hours straight. I've been playing the game since the day the N64 one was released and it doesn't look like I'll be stopping any time soon even though I am sick of it. Too bad the lead programmer quit Hal to start his own company, because if they do make a new one it'll have to be lead by someone else.

I've played competitively in huge tournaments and I'll share some commonly accepted facts. Falco is probably the best, with some of the cheapest moves imaginable. Fox doesn't hold a candle to him. Marth and Samus are also top tier players. Also, for tournament play, items are turned off and about half the stages are not allowed. imo it's not as fun without items, but it does help increase your skill playing without them.

And to the guy who said Gannondorf is too slow: he may not be a top tier player, but you can kick as with Gannodorf as long as you only use his fast attacks (mostly air attacks) and only use his slow attacks when your opponent is exposed. Try using punch while standing still, up and punch in the air and back and punch in the air. The forward b and down b attacks can also catch people off guard.

My favorite underdog is Jigglypuff. Most of his attacks are pretty useless but if you find the ones with range and use your repeated jumps to dance around your opponents you can do extremely well. Especially since most are not used to fighting against Jigglypuff. Also, his forward b is very easy to hit with and almost never exposes you.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've dreamed of the day when I would be involved in an intelligent debate about Smash. No thanks to gamefaqs anyway.

Let me remind the community that the tier list takes to account the following conditions.

1. The players are at equal skill
2. The players aren't using items.
3. The players are playing one-on-one

Most of us are accustomed to multiplayer or teams. That's more of a random chance of winning in those situations.

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
I do believe that Falco is better than Fox though. I'll list my reasons.

Falco has a good jump, a meteor smash, a stunning gun move, and a slower falling speed than fox.

True, he has the highest normal 1st jump in the game, but that does him no good in the air. That means when you try to recover, you're left with his decent 2nd jump and his Fire Bird (up and B) as recovery. those who play melee know that the Fire Bird has terrible distance as a recovery.

Fire Bird wouldn't be so bad but you're wrong about his falling speed. He's one of the fastest fallers (without pressing down in the air) If he gets knocked out of the arena, his trajectory is at a low angle, which means recovery for him is almost impossible. It would be nice if he were like Samus and get knocked back at a 45 degree angle, but he almost always falls at a 210 to 330 degree angle.

But I agree with the Blaster and The God Spike. That spike is broken. When you master short-hopping, you can play mind games and spike people all day. Even better during a chaotic melee. Just watch out for vultures (people stealing your kills or people who kill you while you're trying to spike someone)

His blaster is much better than Fox's for the sole reason of Short Hop blaster cancels. Those who know the benefits of wavedashing know why this is useful. It has the wavedash's ability to cancel lag only with the B button. Short-hopping a laser and then having Falco land on the ground sets you up for anything. And we know that blaster stuns, so the opponent is wide open.

One of my personal favorites is the short hop blaster, then a short hop spike, L-cancel it into a reflector, then jump up and hit them with a B-air.

Quote:
Fox has a fast gun move, a quicker running speed.

Blaster is useless. I agree. No one in the right mind is going to stand there and do nothing while they rack up damage.

But his speed is seamless! Using L-canceling he can keep attacking like no tomorrow. He's no weakling either, try his n-air (neutral A in the air) and his B-air and see how much damage he does. Dash attack is really useful thanks to his speed, and he can follow it up with his U-air.

Oh, since you like B-moves, try spiking people with Fox's reflector off the arena. These tactics gets stale and predictable eventually, but use it here and there.

Mad Mage wrote:
I've played competitively in huge tournaments and I'll share some commonly accepted facts. Falco is probably the best, with some of the cheapest moves imaginable. Fox doesn't hold a candle to him. Marth and Samus are also top tier players. Also, for tournament play, items are turned off and about half the stages are not allowed. imo it's not as fun without items, but it does help increase your skill playing without them.

I like my items off. It shows pure fighting skill. But you're right about items. It makes the game that much fun. But about Falco, as I said, I play him and fox both, but if I had to take one to fight against the other, I'd take Fox. It's an easy decision for me. Falco's cheapness is his spike and his F-smash. The spike is easy enough to avoid so long as you recover over his head and not under his feet. F-smash is trickier, but a downsmash cancels it out.

It is an even battle, though, since Fox beats people with star K.O's. Falco is the 3rd hardest person to Star K.O behind #1 Captain Falcon and #2 Donkey Kong.

Quote:
And to the guy who said Gannondorf is too slow: he may not be a top tier player, but you can kick as with Gannondorf as long as you only use his fast attacks (mostly air attacks) and only use his slow attacks when your opponent is exposed. Try using punch while standing still, up and punch in the air and back and punch in the air. The forward b and down b attacks can also catch people off guard.

Hah, I think that was me. :D What I said is that he's way too slow for me. I never said he was no good. But this game is too fast for slow characters in my opinion, so I'll leave the Dorf advice to you and everyone else. A little suggestion, though. His forward B is suicide just like Cap Falcon. easy enough to dodge it or roll thanks to the lapse in movement before the move.

But you're right about the Down B. That's a cheesy spike. The spike itself isn't cheesy, but the fact that you get an extra jump after it, no matter what, makes recovering for Dorf somewhat easy. Falcon goes too far, so most of the time, you end up whiffering it on the bottom of the screen and losing a life.

Quote:
My favorite underdog is Jigglypuff. Most of his attacks are pretty useless but if you find the ones with range and use your repeated jumps to dance around your opponents you can do extremely well. Especially since most are not used to fighting against Jigglypuff. Also, his forward b is very easy to hit with and almost never exposes you.

Yeah, all she needs is Wall of Pain (repeated use of back a in the air; try to L-cancel it) It's almost impossible to cut through that. But it's tough to pull it off consistently. Jigg players have my respect for that.

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I said Ganondorf is slow. I don't like to play slow characters.

Where are these tourneys? I'd like to play some people. I only have few friends who play and only one can match me. I usually beat him though. I'd like to play someone who is better than me for a change.

Does anyone here play peach? I do fairly often and she is actually pretty good.
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced the Lad:

I don't know if I can or want to make a compelling argument for Falco being better than Fox, so I'll just say these things and leave it as it is. Falco is both faster and stronger than fox in most areas. As you have said, his gun is far more useful in a one on one game. Falco's aerial down attack is just about if not the best attack in the game. Falco is perhaps the most popular character in big tournaments whereas Fox isn't among the most played at all.

Oh, and about Gannondorf. His forward + B is very useful. It's best used by jumping ever so slightly of the ground and then using it to attack characters on the ground. When in this situation it will take precedence over most moves.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ehh, well alright, we'll leave it at that. But I still will say Fox is faster than Falco, hands down. But yeah, it's difficult to kill with Fox.

Grudge, these tournaments are all over the country, but they're not really plentiful or advertized. The best experience I had with Smash was at the Evolution tournament. It wasn't at the tournament itself, but rather the parking lot and Cal Poly Pomona's lounge. People brought those screens you can attatch to the gamecube and some even brought projectors. there's no Smash tournament for Evo, but you had people playing the game to pass the time before the other tourneys took place.

As for Peach, my friend plays her as his best character. Really though, she's terribly cheap in his hands. Crouch cancelling-downsmash. It doesn't exactly help that my falco and Fox are outmatched by her. They are fast fallers, so they get destroyed by her downsmash. She can also edgeguard with those vegetables.

Lone Wolf

303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have played both and I really like Melee because of Shiek. Lol most of the people that I play with hate me because I use Shiek. Second for me would be someone like Falco or someone else fast.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, Peach can be very cheap. I do admit that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: