Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Smash Brothers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Smash Brothers Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm surprised we haven't discussed this game yet! Now I now just about everyone has seen this game played, or played it themselves. I'm amazed at its popularity because plenty of people I know continue to play this game to this day. It's never boring so long as there are many people to play and you have an audience. In my opinion, it's one of the most underrated "fighting" games in our time. Sure it may look basic and play that way, but try telling other people to "wavedash" or "L cancel" and it will take them a few times to get it right. In my opinion, mind games are useful the most for this game thanks to mobility.

So I'd like to know people's opinions regarding any or both versions of Smash Brothers for the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube. Feel free to discuss tactics, tier lists, stages, items, and anything else you want. It'll be like gamefaqs but the difference is that we can write legibly. :D

Also, one other thing popped into my mind. I somewhat stated my opinions on this matter, but should this series be considered a fighting genre? That's been debated for a very long time.

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have played Super Smash Brothers on both Nintendo 64 and Gamecube, i only played it once on Gamecube but i use to own it on Nintendo 64 till my brother sold it and the Nintendo 64 to buy another Play Station 2 so ill talk about it on that system.

I thought it was a good game. I beat it many times for it is very easy game to what i think. I really liked the Hammer thing that you could use to easily knock your opponent out of the game.

My most favorite character to use in that game is Link. His sword is very useful and he was really good.

I always had trouble with the stages especially the second stage. The first stage was easy but in the second stage i always fell off really quickly.

I do think that this game is a fighting game because you fight in it, so it should be classified as a fighting game.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played it on N64 constantly. I've played exactly one match on gamecube with a buddy of mine, so I'll stick to talking about the N64 one. I really liked it. My favorite characters were Captain Falcon and Ness. My brother on the other hand, always played as Pikachu. I was deadly with the bat (as I'm sure most people were) and my favorite level was probably the star fox ship. Is it just me was Jigglypuff one of the most useless characters? Granted, it had a couple of good moves, but anyone who's played as it can see them coming and avoid them. My general strategy was always go for the kill. I never really spent a lot of time damaging a character unless I really wanted to make that player mad. Mostly, I just used the powerful hits and hoped they were damaged enough to fly off. :D

The Black Knight wrote:
I do think that this game is a fighting game because you fight in it, so it should be classified as a fighting game.

My sentiments exactly.

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am a pro at Melee. (I haven't played the 64 version in years)

I love this game. I can use all charcters well and really like Falco and Sheik. They are all very useful.

I don't like the AI in the game though. Most CPUs have predictable patterns. I hate how the CPUs can sense healing items and pokeballs. They head towards them even if they are out of the screen. It is dumb how they know that the items are there. I typically turn items off.

Last edited by Tonberry on Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd consider myself noob-pro at SSBM. (I can LC and Dashdance and all, but WC still escapes me ATM ^^;) Like Everyone's Grudge, I haven't played Smash64 in ages. Both games are superb, and I've never grown tired of either game.

My favorites are in no particular order: Link, Marth, C.Falcon, Samus, and Gannondorf (AKA: the 'dorf)

I particularly hate Fox, Falco, Shiek, and the 'chus (Pichu and Pikachu).

I'd have to say that my strongest characters are Marth and 'Dorf out of all of them, with Link coming in a close third.

I don't believe that SSBM and S64 count as "Fighting" games, as most fighting games deal with a 1 on 1 ratio. I'd say that these games deserve a new genre that I shall dub "Party Brawl". A fight is usually 1 on 1, but a brawl indicates that there's multiple combatants on various sides.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Rincewind

Architect of the Pass - Phoenix Regiment

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only played Melee, so I'll talk about that. My favorite character to play is Link. I'll either be annoying and Snipe with arrows, or get in peoples face with the sword. For a laugh I play as the Red Game and Watch. Ther red means he is in berserk mode. Though, me and my friend make a deadly team Jigglypuff, but he has to be wearing the crown.
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahhh, a mad Game and Watch. I'm so scared. :lol:

I don't see why you guys like such slow characters. Link is slow. The 'dorf is slow. I beat up on slow characters with ease.

No, these games can not be considered fighting games. First, the fights don't have a health bar. Second, the characters can actually jump in SSb and SSBM. Third, the smash games are fun. (sorry to those who like fighting games, but the only good one out there is Toshinden)
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love both Super Smash Brothers (Nintendo 64) and Super Smash Brothers Melee (Nintendo Gamecube)!

In the Nintendo 64 incarnation, I mostly stuck with Mario, Pikachu and Fox McCloud. I know a lot of characters are considered better for fighting and so on, but with a series like Super Smash Brothers I could never really get too 'in-depth' with and always played it simply for insane brawling four-player fun. I liked the giant hand boss for some reason, however. For some bizarre reason, I actually found it climatic!

In Super Smash Brothers Melee, I focused more on using Luigi, simply because Luigi never gets any credit for, well, anything. And after a while I became quite adept at using him.

Favourite stages include the Original Mushroom Kingdom stage, the Pokemon Stadium one (love the music), Hyrule Castle as well as the F-Zero Track and I'm quite partial to the Great Fox as well.

The AI was never up to much, but really, the AI was just tacked on to what is a great multi-player game.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
Ahhh, a mad Game and Watch. I'm so scared. :*laugh*:

I don't see why you guys like such slow characters. Link is slow. The 'dorf is slow. I beat up on slow characters with ease.

No, these games can not be considered fighting games. First, the fights don't have a health bar. Second, the characters can actually jump in SSb and SSBM. Third, the smash games are fun. (sorry to those who like fighting games, but the only good one out there is Toshinden)

Well i used Link who you said was a slow character but i always beat the game with his very easily and without losing.

Well i think the health bar is the percentage that goes up when you get hit. When its all the way up you can get knocked out really easily, but thats my thoughts.

And what does jumping have to do with anything? I mean alot of fighting games have people jumb, for example Tekken, im not sure but i think Mortal Combat is too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, but jumping is very unimportant in those games. I don't seem to remember much jumping 10 feet in the air to grab a ray-blaster and firing it in mid-air as you land in Tekken. Or even in Mortal Kombat.

EDIT: Or platform jumping. Or double back-flips over bottomless pits.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Yes, but jumping is very unimportant in those games. I don't seem to remember much jumping 10 feet in the air to grab a ray-blaster and firing it in mid-air as you land in Tekken. Or even in Mortal Kombat.

EDIT: Or platform jumping. Or double back-flips over bottomless pits.

I dont want to argue but in those other fighting games its good to jumb over a person to hit them from behind of something like that.

You can double back-flip in Super Smash Brothers?

Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What an amazing game(s)! The first for the N64 was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, because it was fun, but didn't reall yhave alot of characters that fully appealed to me (From Nintendo I like Link and the Zelda Series, that's about it anymore). I owned it, and like whoever in here said his brother sold it for a PS2, I empathize with you, but my sister sold it and my 1080 Snowboarding for Yoshi's Story! To pay her back for this extremely evil and stupid trade I smashed both of her N64 Controllers.

I owned a GCN for about a year and a half, but I never picked up SSB:M. I did, however, buy it for my cousin for Christmas two years ago, and he still has it. He's 12 and he destroys me at it every time we play with every character. I like Adult Link, Child Link, Zelda/Shiek and Ganondorf, adds alot of Hyrule to the game, and you can never have enough of that (though Oni-Link would be nice in SSB:Revolution...)
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was saying that Super Smash Brothers is not a fighting game and I was listing differences. Jumping is key in SSB and not in regular fighting games.

As for health, I was referring to the standard health bar in fighting games. I realize that as percents go up in SSB, you go farther, but you can't be killed from damage like in regular fighting games.

To: The Black Knight: I was pointing out Links weakness that bugs me. Link is good in most aspects of his character with his variety of attacks and his meteor smash, but he is slow. That's why I don't use him. The reason you think he is good is because he can beat computer players. Computer players aren't hard though. Most have a set of predictable move patterns which make them easy to beat. Human players are more challenging to beat if they are at your same skill level.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:

Oh no trust me, you wouldn't kill my 'dorf. Gannondorf has the best speed to power ratio in the game. He's a bit slower than Link (who's a little below average, mind you), but he hits slightly less than your super-heavies like Bowser and DK. And with Wavedashing, L-canceling, shorthopping, and other 'tricks', you can really boost a slow character's speed and usefulness quickly.

'Sides, Dorf is High tier. not top, but high. I've been to pro tourneys, and the top pro choices are Marth, Fox/Falco, Peach, Shiek, and Gannondorf.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

These are my favorite fighting games ever, I'm very surprised that this is the first threat on them! To this day, this is the only fighting game besides Halo and Halo 2 that I actually get competitive with. My favorite characters would have to be Dr. Mario and Falco, to very well balanced fighters that can irritate an opponet to no end.
I was kinda dissapointed that they had changed Cptn. Falcon's moves a bit, he used to be my favorite in the origional SB game, but in Melee they made him too fast to really be of any use...
I'm still a bit out of practice because I haven't played SB Melee in over a year and when I went to play it again a few days ago, I got my ass handed to me by my younger siblings... :( Not a good feeling, so, yeah... I havent played it as much since then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: