Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What is east of the Island Nations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Then maybe it's based on the Danish provinces of Zeeland or Zealand!
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or it just refers to the fact that Zelant is an island/coastal nation (a land in/at the sea = Sealand).
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
If the Western Continent is "America," then the shuriken-shaped island might be something akin to Australia... or perhaps parts of Africa...

Hasn't tribal Africa been projected through nations like the Grassland? Or even what we hear of the Nameless Lands tribal systems? From the knowledge we have at this point in time we'll never be able to make an assumption or an educated guess, but the most likely candidate so far is, funnily enough "Katana," mainly because it is the only nation we know of but do not know the general direction or location.

iscalio wrote:
Luckily I don't think that is the case. It is a common prejudice in the Suikoden world that all people from Zelant wear armor - and even though that is most definitely not the case, there has to be some truth behind it. Just like the rumor that everyone from Kanakan drinks alcohol like water is not true, but still hints towards the fact that alcohol is an important part of Kanakan culture.

Not sure if we can call it a prejudice when that is basically all we know about Zelant and Kanakan. It might be the word that is most appropriate, but as that is all we know, we could go either way on their culture being heavily revolved around armour or wine. The explanation for Zelant's name meaning a Sealand does seem to make a lot of sense to me though, thanks for that.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Hasn't tribal Africa been projected through nations like the Grassland?

I think Murayama said it is inspired by Mongolia (at least that's the case for the Karaya).

Quote:
Not sure if we can call it a prejudice when that is basically all we know about Zelant and Kanakan. It might be the word that is most appropriate, but as that is all we know, we could go either way on their culture being heavily revolved around armour or wine.

It is called a prejudice by Belcoot, who has spent time in Kanakan and thus can assess the validity of it. He confirms that Kanakan is heavily influenced by alcohol, but refutes the claim that "everyone in Kanakan drinks alcohol like water". And since he compares the Zelant-armor relation to the Kanakan-alcohol relation, we can assume by analogy that while Zelant does have some sort of prominent connection to armor, the claim that "everyone in Zelant is wearing armor" is untrue. Richard for example also proves this. He's from Zelant (even though he is stupid to such an impressing degree that he remembers nothing from his homeland), and he doesn't wear armor - only horrible boots.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, Zelant is known for their mercenaries (well, for one particular mercenary organization). It's not entirely uncommon in history for a nation situated on an island to have mercneary tendencies, and plenty of nations in history have hired nations from beyond the sea (such as the Numidian cavalry hired by Hannibal, Japanese mercenaries were hired by the Kingdom of Ayutthaya, Genoese mercs, Venetian mercs, etc). Either that or perhaps Zelant will be a combination of various cultural influences from mercenary-oriented nations throughout history, and there are plenty of those to generate a pretty colorful mix.

As for Katana, because Suikoden tends to mix a bunch of cultures together, I doubt it will be so Japan centric (if it is ever introduced). In the novel, "Katana" actually does have Chinese influences, as it has characters that have Chinese names and kung-fu style martial arts is practiced (along with fencing styles using non-curved swords, which is not something that's quite common in Japan).

Grassland is also a pretty fierce mix, as iscalio said the Karaya is partly based on certain Mongol tribes, while the Chisha are apparently based on Bulgarian stuff (according to Fumi Ishikawa). Lizards seem to wear "American Indian" headdresses while Ducks seem to have their own culture. Even Falena mixes Persian stuff with Japanese stuff, so perhaps a real-world comparison really has no meaning at all. But it's still fun to think of these things.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't mind seeing Zelant being based off of something like the Swiss Mercenaries, or the German? Landsknechts. I mean, who wouldn't want to see a bunch of men in frilly clothing run around the battle field? We already have the Narcissists, it's not -that- far of a stretch.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't really seen a Greek or Roman infuenced nation, considering how much of an impact they had, and how popular they've become recently.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
Even Falena mixes Persian stuff with Japanese stuff, so perhaps a real-world comparison really has no meaning at all. But it's still fun to think of these things.

I agree with you there, it still is fun to at least try and make connections. Thanks for reminding me about Belcoot's opinions iscalio.
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing Zelant being based off of something like the Swiss Mercenaries, or the German? Landsknechts. I mean, who wouldn't want to see a bunch of men in frilly clothing run around the battle field? We already have the Narcissists, it's not -that- far of a stretch.

One word.

Kilts.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Sir Kan of Grassland

Magicians of Lordlake

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thinking it just another nation. or it could be a whole country you maybe it could be a madland were mad clows rules the land shotting random poeple and buring down hourse or were the elf come or it could be a fun land of pink clouds and good stuff.
EggMan

Ordo Lusus

167874 Potch
250 Soldiers
180 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I'm honestly surprised we haven't really seen a Greek or Roman infuenced nation, considering how much of an impact they had, and how popular they've become recently.

I've always thought that the Sindar were kind of like the Greeks and that Harmonia was like Rome. I mean they aren't exactly a like, but non if the nations seem to be exactly like one civilization.

I always saw Falena as a mix of all the nations that have been built upon rivers and waterways. Much of hte west seems Euproeanish, while Lelcar, Yashuna, and Raftfleet look Chinese. The Egyptian theme to the ancient dynasty also follows the idea that Falena is a mix of the different riverlands across the world.

Anyways to get back on topic I would hope that its Kanakan. It is supposed to be close to INF, Falena and the Northern Continent. That seems to be a good place for it to be.

"I think we are blind. Blind people who can see, but do not see."
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I think Katana would be a good little name for our eastern landmass. Like others have said, even its shape seems to suggest so. Then again, the Suikoden creators might have other ideas. I'm still of the belief that Kanakan lies on the southwest end of the northern continent, as is shown on this site's very own map in the geography section. Not to say that's canon, but right now, that's what makes the most sense to me.

Kanakan is a major export region, as obviously, everyone in the Suikoden world talks about their wine. Being at the southern end of a big continent practically guarantees that it's a port region. Scroll down just slightly southwest, and you arrive in the Island Nations. More specifically, Middleport, known for its trade. My totally uneducated guess is that, from Middleport, ships carrying exports from Kanakan can arrive in Falena, via Estrise.

And of course, everything I've just surmised is complete and utter guesswork. I'm probably totally wrong. Watch Kanakan be (or be a part of) the western continent, or something. I definitely have too much free time to think about this as much as I do. ;)
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The location of Kanakan is canon.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh... well I'll be damned. Thanks for the clarification, John. I suppose I've seen too many posts over the years guessing as to Kanakan's whereabouts. That made me think that its location was speculated on by the creator of the map. Ah, well. Hopefully we'll get to see the place someday. ;)
jbell23

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

theres a chance it could be kaankan? where the best wine is made? it could be anything
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: