Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

WAR Approaches.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lineage ][ is where you should be if you want no-holds-barred PvP. WoW is for carebears. Having said that I've played both games and while I loved the completely free PvP in Lineage (stab your best friend in the back while youre in the same party even), the grind and dependance on money/gear was just insane unless you were good at playing the market.

No Barrens chat you say? I wouldn't count your chickens just yet ;)

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While MMO's tend to get more of a meh from me I am excited about WAR just for the fact that I pretty much grew up playing Warhammer from its early days of pen-and-paper rpg to now with the figures to be painted and such. I probably will play it but not in a lose sleep and personal hygiene sort of way, but I'll probably stick to it far longer than I have with other attempts to play MMO's.

I'm still not set on what race to pick. I know my brother has been very active with a High Elf-only guild he joined up when WAr was first announced. I think they've already lined up several other guilds dedicated to the Order side of things.

Conclave of Light video

That rough vid pretty much lists all the guilds in that grouping. Depending on what type of guild you create you may want to see the Tor Anroc guys about hooking up with them.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good god. You mean there are already that many other guilds? I'll be playing on the evil side because good is for pusses.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hell, people have been waiting for this game and started their guilds once Mythic took over the development duties which was around 2005 or so. I know of several people who're closing down their WoW account to play this game.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The release date is rapidly approacing, with only about a month left. The servers go live on September 18th.

I've been keeping people up to date with stuff they've sent me at my main forum, here:

http://www.evermoreforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21624

Mostly the podcasts and the more awesome stuff, since all the areas and bosses are pretty much spoilers so I skip over them.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, for those who pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of WAR have already begun playing the finished game as part of the CE's Headstart bonus. There's around 60,000 players playing now and it looks like the servers are stable with little or no lag and glitches. The 18th will be D-Day though since EA and Mythic are anticipating close to 1 million players logging on within the first 72 hours of release.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dunno about WAR. If I do get it, it might be in a few months, after the initial rush has died down.

But the whole end game doesn't really sit very well with me. As it's very definite. Claim the Realm vs Realm stuff. defeat the enemy fortresses, siege the capital and kill the king. Maybe it's because I'm not much of a pvper usually but although probably very hard to do, once you do it once or twice there's not much reason to do it again is there?

And I can't exactly see expansion packs adding anything really new to it either like WoW is able to do.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It hink you hit it on the nail right there. The game really caters to those who don't see much meat in the pvp aspects of most MMO's out in the market right now. I'm not sure if the game actually has an end game in the traditional sense. As for the RvR part of the game it looks like trying to conquer the opposing faction's (Order or Destruction) is close to near-impossible unless one side really coordinates and attacks all the enemy faction's territories all at once and wins.

One thing I saw as my brother was playing was how they'd be concentrating on winning one enemy region but suddenly in danger of losing one of their own territories because people who were protecting it suddenly had a couple people log off for the night. This left them outnumbered and just trying to hold on until reinforcements could come to help. The game really pulls off the fact that the game as a whole is pretty much a World War where PvP and RvR never truly ends.

As for future expansion packs it looks like its going to be re-adding race job classes they removed prior to the game's release due to unbalancing issues and also adding in the cities they took out. So, expansion would be less Liche King and Burning Crusade and more adding more content and new tier levels. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they added specific campaign objectives similar to how the tabletop game would create new campaigns to involve everyone.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I pre-ordered the game, but I didnt save the code, so I've gotta wait until the game gets here.

And it isn't an MMO without endgame. There would, as Milian said, be no point, and GW is smarter than that.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Err, well I more pointed out that the end game is definite. It may take a very long time depending on what server you're on and population of both factions. But eventually, the enemies king is going to fall, and more than likely, after it happens once. It'll be easier the next time. So there's nothing to look forward to after the first few times is there?

At least in WoW, the end game used to be what.. Molten Core, and then Naxx, Then Black Temple and now Sunwell stuff, and in a couple of months, it'll be Northrend and Ice Crown Glacier. After that you still have Maelstrom, Emerald Dream, The Underdark. So there's plenty to expand upon. I don't really how they could do that with WAR.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And it's here. My account is made, the latest info is downloading. I just have to pick a server. Any ideas?

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you've joined an official guild then I suggest you go where they are.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, I was planning on starting my own once I figure things out. If I can get on the same server as other people I know, even if they are on the other side, it would be great though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I probably won't start til I finish projects at work but once I do I'm joining my brother and his High Elf guild over at Phoenix Throne server. So far, from what I've seen the game has very minimal stability issues. I'm really liking the look and use of the Tome of Knowledge. There's some griping from players on the same Vent channel as my brother's guild, but it has less to do with the game itself and more of players not doing their job correctly thus causing one-side to lose a siege or PvP.

While my brother took a break to eat and do some errands I played his character for a few. The PvP was quite fun but not so fast-paced that twitch players got the advantage. While it looks like Destruction players seem to have a tad advantage in terms of damage-dealing most don't seem to be the team-player type. It looks like Order guilds seem to be more team-oriented though with everyone who weren't trying out the game during Beta teamwork takes a backseat to learning the ins and outs of the combat system.

The coolest thing I saw and played was helping a group of 40 or more Order players besiege and successfully take over a Dark Elf keep. I know I've said it before but this game really does it job well to make the player feel like he's part of a large on-going war that has no end which bring me to the topic of endgames.

I know I'm not the most veteran MMO players like most here. My last attempt at actually playing an MMO prior to WAR was the text-base MUD Gemstone, but I like the fact that Mythic really doesn't see an endgame to WAR. While that may sound like a recipe for repetitive gaming the chaotic feel of the RvR and PvP side of the game makes for the opposite. Just trying to take one keep took a lot of fighting and that's just one keep and the only way the opposing faction's capital city can be captured is to capture all the enemy's keeps and baes and camps while at the same time keeping your own faction's areas under control.

I also like the fact that there's been little or no grinding to do to level up. Skillsets and wargear are not so difficult to find that my brother and I had to spend hours just to find the best gear at our current level. Inf act, there doesn't seem to be a definite list of which gear is the best with each piece of armor, accessories and weapons having so many different stat combinations that what one player calls the best set may not be for another.

Our goal now is to try and reach Tier 3 by the end of the weekend and start working our way into being part of the first or second group of Order players to work at besieging The Inevitable City.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, the tome of Knowledge is amazing. I especially like how you can wander into different nooks and crannies and discover a new page or even title.

I actually have my own set of gripes about the game so far. As far as I've seen, there really aren't any race/job combinations that suit me. I prefer playing a graceful-looking (usually female since recent male models have all been gorillas) melee that isn't ugly. That pretty much leaves me with Witch Elves, but I logged on with one and there were about 50 witch elves in the starting zone with absolutely nothing else there. I was planning on being the Dark Elf tank, but they must have axed that job. My options right now are to either trying to bear with magic (which is the most likely due to how awesome magic looks in this game, even if I historically hate playing mages), bear with a loss of uniqueness, or bear with my character not matching my personality whatsoever.

I'm sure that there are plenty of what I'm looking for on the Order side, but I'd be leaving all of my close friends behind if I switched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: