Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Grassland Sacrifices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Grassland Sacrifices Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since Yun was sacrificed to open the True Water Rune seal, it left me with some questions, namely the nature of the Alma Kinan sacrifices and the people that are to go through with it. Was Yun a one off? Were there none like her before? Why exactly do you think that the Alma Kinan tribe have to sacrifice these shamanesses (with the obvious reasoning for Yun's)?

Yun's comfort with her sacrifice always seemed out of place in Suikoden III to me, she can see the future and do many things, yet she chooses to die and failing to see that The Destroyers would attempt to "rescue" her as well on the night of her sacrifice. The sacrifice doesn't look like a traditional sacrifice at all, it look like she just got absorbed or something, so it was obviously her soul returning to be with the "spirits" or whatever. Anyway, I feel this is a confusing matter!
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have you read the Suikoden III Manga? It seemed to make some things clearer and at the same time confuse some more issues, but it might give you some insight.
As for whether or not Yun was unique--I have no clue. There has to have been some precedent for it, however, otherwise I don't think it would have happened.
I agree, that whole thing was really a strange thing to throw into the game.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They seem to have known about Yun before her birth, which brings me to believe that there were others in Alma Kinan's history that could see into the future, or at least had the ability to recieve prophecies from "The Spirits."
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The whole village is made up of prophetic females. It stated so in the game, I think. It's just that Yun's gift was greater than the others at that time.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was strange, yes. I still don't understand up to this time why the sacrifice has to be made. Let alone the fact that Yun became a Star of Destiny when she has done absolutely nothing as a Star of Destiny but to die after a few moments when we met her.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TruePerception wrote:
The whole village is made up of prophetic females. It stated so in the game, I think. It's just that Yun's gift was greater than the others at that time.

Well their powers aren't very good if only Yun could ever tell you anything useful. They are all mentioned to have powers like this but in the game they all prove to be quite useless, seems only the special ones who are supposedly destined to be scarificed can actually use these abilities in practice to a level of actually being useful.

Ryusei wrote:
It was strange, yes. I still don't understand up to this time why the sacrifice has to be made. Let alone the fact that Yun became a Star of Destiny when she has done absolutely nothing as a Star of Destiny but to die after a few moments when we met her.

I experienced it first hand too, at the time of Yun's ritual on my first play through, I literally had no understanding of why she was being sacrificed. Whether it was the game skipping over the details of that or me skipping over something accidently, I was very confused as to why The Destroyers wanted to stop it and why it was going ahead in the first place. I suppose the idea of her being a star of destiny was that even in death her spirit was still helping your cause though.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The whole idea of sacrificing is too much to grasp for me...
I mean, what society murders those, who have abiltiies beyong anybody else? They could help and teach the others, so what good does it do the society when those persons die? I guess, I still haven't really understand the whole concept...

The Fool
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uji wrote:
Well their powers aren't very good if only Yun could ever tell you anything useful.

I agree. If Yun was supposedly the best prophet Alma Kinan had, then wouldn't it make more sense if she was still alive, helping her tribe mates rather than sacrificing her and getting her killed? Besides, if Yun was the best prophet they got, then I think I would only make things matter worse for her, for the Alma Kinan tribe, and for the others as well if her supposedly "superior" power compared to the other Alma Kinan girls would be put to waste by sacrificing her. Unless of course that the whole sacrificial ritual would be for a far greater cause than to get Yun's talent go to waste.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there was a reason for her sacrifice, it just wasn't explained very well at the time to us. Yun was sacrificed to strengthen the seal of the True Water Rune, so it could stay hidden from Luc and The Destroyers.

Last edited by Ujitsuna on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't want to debate about the value of a human life, but is it really necessary to sacrifice the most gifted person? I think that is the question...

The Fool
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, if that's the only reason as to why Yun has to be sacrificed, then I'd say it was pretty useless. Afterall, The Destroyers somehow managed to snatch the True Water Rune anyway. Of course, a few events and circumstances affected that, but the point is they still got hold of the True Water Rune. So, if the whole point of Yun's sacrifice was to just hide the True Water Rune from The Destroyers, then I'd say that the whole sacrifice was useless. I assume that there's something more to that, I just don't know what.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As I understood it, Yun died to strengthen the seal at the Cyndar Ruins so that Luc and the Destroyers couldn't break it. However her death was for naught as Jimba shortly after broke the seal himself, after it was strengthened. Meaning that if Jimba left it alone, Yun's plan would have worked.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eden wrote:
I don't want to debate about the value of a human life, but is it really necessary to sacrifice the most gifted person? I think that is the question...

Well, I'll just assume that if someone who isn't as gifted as Yun would be the one who'll get sacrificed, then I think the strengthening of the True Water Rune seal wouldn't be as "strong" if it was Yun who would be sacrificed. I think that their talent and skills as a phrophet would directly affect the result of the whole ritual. But that's just my idea about it though. Most probably, I could be wrong.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess I always understood it as that Yun was chosen because of her special powers, which makes me question how often the ritual is done, because I can't imagine too many psychic Alma Kinan chicks are born.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Ludka

Geriatric Old Men

102375 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was under the impression that she was killed so that the special magic that kept Alma Kinian seperated from the rest of the world would stay intact. Didn't she say something about how Yuber could only ge in because their shield was weakening? Or am I just remembering wrong?

"All is well, and the universe is at peace, for it is Star Control II month in Gaien!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: