Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Demons in Suikoden
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Demons in Suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Demons, Devils, Oni - call them whatever you want, but I've noticed a strong connection with these demonic beings and the world of suikoden. In suikoden these beings orginate from a "World of Emptiness", this is a subject that has been greatly overlooked in the past. Simply discarded as another useful bit of lore for the suikoden wolrd. Or is it?

On one hand we have characters like windy with her front gate rune which she used to summon 80,000 monsters from this abyssmal plane. Among these creatures was her servant Yuber, a posessor of his own demonic true rune. We also have the "Fog Ship" which i belive to be some sort of alternate mode of transportation, taking the souls of the damned from the suikoworld to this seperate plane. A "charon and the river styx" sort of deal. Other interesting "demon" related tidbits of the story include: Rikimaru's sword (Yasutsuna, Onimaru, Dojikiri) directly relates to Japanese mytholigy concerning demons (i'm sure the topic of Rikimaru's sword has already been discussed). Yohn - A creature summoned from the World of Empiness. The Giant Tree, The Eye Fish, 'etc...the list goes on and on. This alternate realm has played a rather large part in the discontent in the land of suikoden, perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye.

There are also an abundance of monsters we fight such as Mirrages, Demon Hounds, Demon Sorcerer, Devil Armor and Ekidonna that are very demonic (it's in their names). Just exactly what ties does this demon world have with the suikoden universe, and how will it play a part in future games? Do you think it is just another intricate detail in the story, something that's useful for explaining where the monsters were from and gives Yuber a little backround. Or do you think this will play a major role in future games, perhaps the final game?
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think it's mostly just a convenient excuse to have powerful enemies, really. any japanese game will have a stock "demon empire" to fight instead of other people.

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think the world you're referring to (the World of Emptiness) is a demonic world, rather it's just a place where monsters originate from. There's never been any mention of the world being controlled by a super demon or a devil. I've always been under the impression that it was a wild land (in some kind of alternate dimension) where monsters roam free. And apparently there are good beings from that world too, as evidenced by Yohn in Rhapsodia.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hm, true - Yohn wasn't a being of evil, so I suppose anything is possible. Perhaps a Suiko that takes place in this alternate world? That might be interesting and give a little more insight on certain characters or specific runes.

I dont know though, I can't shake the feeling that there is more to this reference than just being an easy answer for powerful monsters, I want to think that they are setting the fondation for something bigger.

I hate you Onimaru.
Galt

De Ruyter

1723195 Potch
0 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The World of Emptiness is also the place where people go to when they die. One example is Mr. Walter, the man who did stuff with a goat.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Then would Windy have the power to summon people back from the grave???

I hate you Onimaru.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Leknaat definitely summoned Gremio back from the grave, although the 108 stars had something to do with that power, I think.

If Leknaat could do it, I assume Windy could do it as well, if the conditions were right.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I specifically say Windy because she holds the front gate rune, which I belive is somehow connected with the "world of emptiness" correct? She summoned 80,000 monsters from that plane - if that's where the dead go, then i could see her w/ the ability to bring the dead back to the world of the living.

I hate you Onimaru.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leknaat can summon too! How do you think Luc learned?

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yes, the dead would go to the world of emptiness, but once they go there, they'll likely be transformed into something completely different (monsters) as evidenced by the rune cannon, eye dragon, etc. Without Leknaat's miraculous power combined with the 108 stars super duper power, Gremio may have returned as some sort of mushroom monster... maybe.
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
Oh yes, the dead would go to the world of emptiness, but once they go there, they'll likely be transformed into something completely different (monsters) as evidenced by the rune cannon, eye dragon, etc. Without Leknaat's miraculous power combined with the 108 stars super duper power, Gremio may have returned as some sort of mushroom monster... maybe.

It would have been fantastic if Leknaat still tried to resurrect Gremio without having the 108 stars and that happened. I may actually have died of laughter if it did.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wolf Stew wrote:
Well, Leknaat definitely summoned Gremio back from the grave, although the 108 stars had something to do with that power, I think.

If Leknaat could do it, I assume Windy could do it as well, if the conditions were right.

Leknaat said it could only be done once though. Whether this means only with her rune or just generally, it isn't known.
Sun's Vicegerent

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually the only thing I noticed about the World of Emptiness from Suikoden tactics, is that it seems to house a lot of fish monsters.. or rather living humans who enter that certain portal become fish monsters and nothing else.

So I assume when your dead, you can hopefully become something that.. isn't a fish?

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Wolf Stew wrote:

Leknaat said it could only be done once though. Whether this means only with her rune or just generally, it isn't known.

Vextor's post gives me the idea that the 108 stars allowed for him to come back in his original human form. She and Windy could probably bring back anybody, but not in their original form.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Highwind wrote:
Vextor's post gives me the idea that the 108 stars allowed for him to come back in his original human form. She and Windy could probably bring back anybody, but not in their original form.

Yes but again, Leknaat said it could only be done once. Leknaat chose to use it in Suikoden I because Gremio was a star of destiny who had died, meaning that they'd never be at full power without him. This gives me the feeling that a technique such as that could only have happened once, in any way shape or form. I could be proved wrong later down the line but I doubt we'll ever see that happen again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: