Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 4 Opinion [NO SPOILERS]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rincewind

Architect of the Pass - Phoenix Regiment

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Suikoden 4 Opinion [NO SPOILERS] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got some b-day money, and was wondering if the game was worth buying, renting, or waiting until it comes down in price. I loved the first 2 suikodens. The third one was a big let down in the sense that the 108 stars weren't really 108. Does Suikoden IV bring back that old school flavor with a refreshing new look?
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You do in fact get 108 Stars again this game. Also, a lot of elements from the root of the series would return; often criticisms include that -too- many elements from the first game were included. There is at least one thing that irritates me along those lines :) Still, I absolutely loved the story, so I highly recommend this game.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being a fan Suikoden series you should play this anyway.
Its a good game, but it comes no where near the first three in the series, but thats just my opinion!
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i'm right in the middle of playing it right now near the end. i think compared to the other 3 suikoden games this has a really short life span but i like the war system and even though you only use 4 rather than 6 people at a time now you don't have to equip items anymore. even with that i think it is definitly worth getting but the game goes very quick. a quick thing there an a quick thing here. an your already near the end. its entirly worth in my opinion even with the flaws this game has.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Killey

The Riders Of Quan

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you love Suikoden at all. You will play this game. ^_^ It's really fun. Kinda short though...=\
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is my second favorite one in the series, right behind three. This one is a lot closer to the first game in terms of length, characters, etc., so if you liked the first one, chances are you'll like this one too.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684690 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea i would definitely advise you to get this game. I thought it was great. There are a couple of returning characters to go along with a good storyline to make it a great game. The buddy system doesn't return from three, which i think is a good thing, but we now have 4 people in our party as opposed to six in the previous games. The major battle system is more on the lines on suikoden 2 i would say, but instead now uses ships obviously.

The main character has an underdeveloped past which leaves it open to speculation continuing a common theme in the previous games. I found that there aren't as many runes in this game, but it isn't that noticeable. Also it is much easier to level up characters in this game due to a training room aboard your headquarters. You can also recruit all 108 stars on the same side this time.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should really get this game. It is a lot of fun and has many new things that make the game much easier and friendlier to play. You'd like it. I'm sure of it.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I absolutely loved this game.

I think you should get it, and i think you would like it.

And Happy Birthday i guess.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J2k

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To the people that say this game is really short... I played it through and i hated it. There were way too many random battles, the controls were frustrating, the cutscenes pissed me off, and in general although the story was good the gameplay frustrated me.

It took me about 20 hrs to get to the end and then something happened. The story and the characters (of which id only got about 70) really endeared themselves to me. And even though the game had pissed me off, i didnt want it to end really.

So i took the new game plus and played through a second time. Now my counter is at nearly 100 hrs (so ive spent 80 on the second time through) and ive found so much more than i did before. Also the minor irritations i had dont bother me anymore, and playing through the second time was like playing a new game.

I dont know why this is, but if you play just to get to the end you may be disappointed. But if you play to do every sidequest, find every character and armor set, and just play a completionist game, it goes from a 6/10 title to a 9/10 in my opinion.

Id say its definetly worth getting if you can put up with a LOT of random fights.
Rincewind

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for all your help. I think I will get it. Lots of random battles sounds fun. I am getting annoyed with these new fangle RPGs that have their own stupid battle system and leveling up lacks anyone what so ever. I think I will get it when I get the chance.
J2k

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buy it, aim to find all the characters and dont use a guide. It'll be worth buying and will take you some time ^_^
Rincewind

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

J2k wrote:
Buy it, aim to find all the characters and dont use a guide. It'll be worth buying and will take you some time ^_^

That quote makes me think of the time I was playing through Suikoden 1 for fun, but aiming to get all the characters. When it came time to bring Gremio back to life, I was so confident that I had everyone that I went strait to the scene, but Gremio wasn't brought back. Went to the stone tablet, found a hole in the list of names, looked it up. Sighed, Warped to the small town, busted into Onil's house, and told her to get her gossiping butt to Toran castle, and thanks for killing Gremio.
gumibearcarnage7

Deadly Viper Assasination Squad

144198 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First of all, I'm really surprised to see how many people liked Suikoden III, because I thought it was the worst of all of them. Second, Happy Birthday. Third, RENT this before you buy it.

When I first played this game, I got mixed feelings like, "Ooh yay Suikoden!" and then, "Holy *$&# that's moving really slow!" This is what I think: Suikoden IV is a great game, but the problem was, it didn't feel enough like a Suikoden game. More like a knock-off instead of a sequel (or in this case, prequel) but I bought it AFTER renting it first. That'll be the best way to go. Because otherwise, you can spend your b-day money on something MUCH better!

~*Chris*~
You know I may never have liked you...hm, point in fact I DESPISE you...but that shouldn't suggest...that I don't respect you. Dieing in our sleep, is a luxury...that our kind is rarely afforded...my gift...to you...

-Elle Driver, Kill Bill Vol. I
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Considering that you are here in this site posting, and by that considering that you are a Suikoden fan, then get it if you haven't yet, you can find it online for like 20 bucks new, so you shouldn't even question is a Suikoden game the worst numbered Suikoden game according to general fan and third parties opinion, but its a Suikoden none the less if you like a Suikoden you will like that too to a degree, if you think about it in not a great game kind of way you might actually enjoy it, it certainly worth's a play at least.

Happy after birthday I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: