Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Dark Knight (here be SPOILERS!!!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: The Dark Knight (here be SPOILERS!!!) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that The Dark Knight will be one of the more anticipated films for Summer 2008. The title alone has a mysterious quality to it even if no one knew what it was going to be about. But people will know what the title represent for it's the sequel to the very successful and critically-acclaimed Batman Begins. Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale's reboot of the Batman franchise was (in my opinion) the first true film adaptation of the Batman mythos. I know there's Tim Burton fans out there who think the two Burton films about Bruce Wayne and his dark knight alter-ego were very spot-on and very well done. I will not disagree that they were well-made films, but to say they were spot-on about Batman must never have read the comic.

There will be people who read that and say that only a comic book geek would quibble about such accuracies about a film adaptation of a comic book character and I won't disagree with them either. But what Nolan did with Batman Begins shows that one could successfully translate the Batman mythos without being too much a slave to the canonical information which dates back all the way to the 1930's. The Nolan and Bale adaptation was grounded both in the real with just enough fantastical imagery that says comic book. Burton went all for style with little or no sense of substance. Joel Schumacher went even further and took style and injected it with day-glo steroids.

With The Dark Knight, Nolan now has a fresh new slate to continue exploring the psyche of not just Bruce Wayne but that of Batman. The first film really did a great job of conveying the darkness inherent in the Batman character and Nolan has promised that the sequel will continue to delve into the dark underbelly of Batman's world. The Dark Knight will be darker, more sinister and ultimately something that could be seen as PG-13 material with some heavy R-rated overtones to it. The cast looks great and actually continues Nolan's decision to hire actors who can actually act instead of just having screen presence.

The movie is tentatively scheduled to come out July 18, 2008 in the U.S. with a July 25, 2008 release in the U.K. Principal photography began in April of this year and should continue for the next 13 weeks. I, for one, have had this sequel on my must-see list since it was first announced in late-spring of 2006.

CAST

Christian Bale - to play billionaire industrialist Bruce Wayne and his crime-fighting alter-ego, Batman.

Heath Ledger - to play Joker who was one of the criminals who escaped during the end of the first film. He will be a thief and murderer with a taste for the theatrics.

Gary Oldman - to play Lieutenant James Gordon of the Gotham Police Department and continue to be one of the few honest cop in the city who sees Batman less as a vigilante and more of a savior for the city.

Aaron Eckhart - to play District Attorney Harvey Dent who will reluctantly agree to get Batman's assistance in finding and taking down the Joker.

Michael Caine - to play Bruce Wayne's childhood mentor and Wayne Manor's majordomo, Alfred Pennyworth.

Morgan Freeman - to play Wayne Industries' CEO, Lucius Fox and also it's chief inventor whose gadgets and advanced prototypes always happen to end up in the hands of Batman.

Maggie Gyllenhaal - to play Rachel Dawes (part originally plaed by Katie Holmes in Batman Begins) who is DA Harvey Dent's Asst. DA and also Bruce Wayne's childhood friend.

The website for the film is still quite bare but there has been a couple of viral sites that's cropped up the last couple days. One ended up showing a brief glimpse of Heath Ledger as the Joker and I must say that this version of the Joker will finally erase the travesty that was Jack Nicholson's portrayal.

If John Wayne Gacy was ever turned into a comic book supervillain that is exactly how he would look.

Last edited by Tullaryx on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really enjoyed Batman Begins quite a bit. I have never seen some of the older attempts at Batman movies, so I'm not sure how it compares, but I think Batman Begins was quite well done. So naturally, I have been looking forward to the sequel ever since I saw it.

As for the cast, I have always liked Christian Bale-- and Heath Ledger playing Joker should be pretty awesome. The photo of Joker at the bottom is really very freaky.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.ibelieveinharveydent.com

that is all.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, that site was how one got to see the first look at the Joker. People signed up to the site and got an e-mail with X,Y coordinates which you then input back at the site. The coords removed one pixel from the ad. When enough people signed up and put in their coordinates the image of the Joker appeared. I think it took 250,000 registrars to open up the image.

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Dark Knight (sequel to Batman Begins) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:

Maggie Gyllenhaal - to play Rachel Dawes (part originally plaed by Katie Holmes in Batman Begins) who is DA Harvey Dent's Asst. DA and also Bruce Wayne's childhood friend.

Well thank you very much Mr. Director, that chick is a horrible actress in my opinion. I have a grudge against her since days long past.
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

say whaaaat? Maggie Gyllenhaal is great. And why would you take Katie Holmes over her

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Batman Begins showed us a re-designed Batmobile which I prefer for it's utilitarian and badassery. No fancy bat wings on that baby just plain armor, big-wheels, independent suspension tank-like vehicle. Now The Dark Knight will introduce another one of Batman's vehicles: The Batpod aka Chopper on Crack.

Click to see hi-res version of picture below

Click the MSN Video link to see it in daylight:
Batpod on The Today Show

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Managed to Find this lovley image..somewhere? I forget where now...But yay for the new batsuit.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's from the upcoming issue of Entertainment Weekly.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the cape will be bullet proof.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the cape being bullet-proof is a no-brainer since all past movie versions of it have acted as a form of secondary protection. I'm wondering if the cape will end up having adaptive properties where it will react to changing conditions. I don't think they'll go so far as to allow Bats to become invisible a la Harry Potter's invisibility cloak.

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It looks awesome, I hope I can make it to the movie theater to see this one (had to wait for a t.v. release of Batman Begins :cry:). Maggie Gyllenhaal is great, but for the sake of continuity I would have liked to see Katie Holmes reprise her role, any idea why she didn't?

Also, Heath Ledger as Joker ftw.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Phamex wrote:
Maggie Gyllenhaal is great, but for the sake of continuity I would have liked to see Katie Holmes reprise her role, any idea why she didn't?

1. Katie Holmes' acting performance in Batman Begins was considered by many as the weakest and downright atrocious. She just didn't fit in well with the rest of the cast.

2. There was no chemistry between her and Bale which was needed to really sell the relationship between Rachel Dawes and Bruce Wayne.

3. Maggie Gyllenhaal's acting skill levels above what Holmes could ever pull off.

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
1. Katie Holmes' acting performance in Batman Begins was considered by many as the weakest and downright atrocious. She just didn't fit in well with the rest of the cast.

2. There was no chemistry between her and Bale which was needed to really sell the relationship between Rachel Dawes and Bruce Wayne.

3. Maggie Gyllenhaal's acting skill levels above what Holmes could ever pull off.

Having that pointed out to me, I can see the truth behind it. I'd have to see Dark Knight before I could comment about the chemistry between Bale and Gyllenhaal, but on all other counts she wins. I'm surprised Holmes didn't do a better job. She's kind of a one trick pony, the sweet, girl next door you want to protect, damsel in distress deal is kind of her thing.:roll:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tull wrote:
One ended up showing a brief glimpse of Heath Ledger as the Joker and I must say that this version of the Joker will finally erase the travesty that was Jack Nicholson's portrayal.

While I appreciate the new view on the series, I have to say that Jack Nicholson's portrayal was excellent, and went in line with Burton's image. For what it was, he was certainly excellent, and no one can pull of insanity like Nicholson. I will not hear this talk that his performance was a travesty, because, from a direction and acting perspective, it wasn't.

As far as the new movie, I am naturally very excited to see the caped crusader suit up again. I liked this take on Batman better than the prior movies for the most part, although I did not like Bale's Batman voice -- it was plainly unintimidating. It is likely fear will not be as big a motif in this one, so I doubt I will care as much this time.

I do wonder how Ledger will handle the role, from the pictures and everything, he looks freaking sweet as the Joker, but his acting in this role must take a step up from cowboys and countrymen (I point to his two respectable performances in Brokeback and Monster's Ball) and he's going to have to deliever on the laugh. I can't wait to hear the laugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: