Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Iron Man (Warning: here be spoilers, yarr)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Iron Man (Warning: here be spoilers, yarr) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am not talking about the classic Black Sabbath song, but the Marvel superhero who will be getting his chance to appear on the big-screen as a live-action adaptation. Like all the major-tier Marvel characters who've made the jump to the silver screen, Iron Man will get the mega-blockbuster treatment and have a huge film budget to go with big name actors.

Cast
Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark aka Iron Man, billionaire industrialist who uses his company's adavance weapons technologies to create the ultimate armored battle suit.

Terrence Howard as James Rhodes, friend of Tony Stark who also acts as the liaison between Stark Industries and the U.S. military. Later becomes the superhero War Machine.

Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts, personal secretary and potential love interest.

Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane, Tony Stark's mentor (a role similar to Liam Neeson's mentor role of Henri Ducard in Batman Begins)

Tony Stark forging the original grey armor

The official Iron Man Mark III battle suit designed by comic book artist Adi Granov and artist Phil Saunders. The suit prototype has been built by Stan Winston

This comic book adaptation is one I am really looking forward to more than I did for Spider-Man 3. With both Iron Man[/]b and [b]The Dark Knight due for a summer 2008 release, next year looks to be a great summer season for comic book movies.

Last edited by Tullaryx on Mon May 05, 2008 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i really hope the story is a lot better than the animated movie that came out awhile ago.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, I thought the Iron Man animated direct-to-video was pretty good. It wasn't great but it was a good enough introductory story that explains who Iron Man is and to a greater extent how much Tony Stark behaves both in public and behind-the-scenes. I think the Favreau movie adaptation will be levels better. Marvel has invested quite a lot in making this their flagship franchise with X-Men film franchise now on hold for the time being.

Jon Favreau has confirmed that he wants the movie to be something like James Bond, Tom Clancy thriller, and Robocop all rolled into one. I think that's the best way to go with this particular character. The main villain will be Mandarin though the part hasn't been cast even though filming has already begun. The Iron Man suit will go through three levels of progression. The first will be the grey, clunky armor seen being created by Stark in the first picture then the red and gold armor suit in the second one. The third suit will be the ultimate weapons platform battlesuit Tony Stark will use to fight the Mandarin. I'm going to guess the third suit will be an early incarnation of the black and grey War Machine battlesuit.

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so the suit will become better and more improved throught the movie?

and I did enjoy the introduction of the animated movie and thought they did a good job in the part that you mentioned. However, I just didnt like the plot the movie was based around.

and Mandarin should be an interesting villain to see.

Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Should be one of the movies I'd look forward to next year, although I'm not big of a fan of the Iron Man series as much as say, X-Men or Spiderman. I do like his costume, though.

Oh yeah, who's playing Mandarin?

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They haven't officially announced who will be cast as the Mandarin in the movie. Either they're still looking for the right actor or they already have one but keeping it secret until the right time to announce it. I'm going to guess that it's the former. Film productions don't need every role cast right away before it can start filming. Until they find their Mandarin, the production will just have to film the scenes that doesn't involve for him to be on the screen.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's one of the latest pcitures that will be shown during the San Deigo Comi-Con. It looks to be Tony Stark trying on the Repulsor Beam Gauntlet that will become part of the Iron Man battle armor.

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I see that Samuel L. Jackson will be playing Nick Fury. I dont follow this stuff at all, but I'm tired of seeing Jackson to be honest. I dunno, I know he's a legend that everyone loves....but I'm just over him.

I am pretty excited about this movie though. Of all the super heroes, Iron man and War Machine are two of my favorites of all time.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there's a reason why Samuel L. Jackson was picked to play Nick Fury in this particular movie. The Ultimates Nick Fury was drawn to look like him. This particular Iron Man is based off of the Marvel Ultimates Universe.

Ultimates Nick Fury

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Well, there's a reason why Samuel L. Jackson was picked to play Nick Fury in this particular movie. The Ultimates Nick Fury was drawn to look like him. This particular Iron Man is based off of the Marvel Ultimates Universe.

Ultimates Nick Fury

Oh, that makes a lot of sense then :) Thanks for clearing that up!

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They could have used Sammy LJ or they could have used Terry Crews (Chris Rocks Dad from "Everyone Hates Chris") by looking at the picture. Cheers for clarifying that too.

I'm looking forward to it, Iron Man is my favourite Marvel Superhero afterall.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good to know I am garnering so much hype.

Clearly, I am quite excited about this movie, as Iron Man is one of my favorites. Robert Downey Jr. was a good choice, I think, as he struggled with alcoholism which is one of Stark's major character flaws, in all Marvel continuities (the Ultimate universe, as well all other universes mentioning the character have usually explored this aspect). He also looks a good bit like Stark, and I think could play that business man thing to a T.

He looks like he's wearing eye-liner in the pictures we've seen, and he seems ultra serious in both of them, which is, I hope, not where they take the character.

Terrance Howard is an interesting choice. But being that he is probably the finest younger black actor I know of at the moment, I have no problem believing that he can pull off the War Machine character.

I do not like Gwenyth Paltrow, so I hope her role in the film is rather minor, but it probably will not be. But, she will not make the movie bad, I do not think.

I generally just hope the screen writer is good, because some of the latest Marvel adaptations have been abysmal. The new Spider-Man, the third X-Men, not to mention both of the Fantastic 4 movies (how in the hell did they get the bank to make a second one?).

Any info on that, Tull?

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arthur Marcum, Matthew Hollaway, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby are all listed as having done on work on the Iron Man screenplay. Marcum and Hollaway look to be first-time screenwriters. The interesting pair would be Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby who did screenwriting work for Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men adaptation.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Time to bump this up and show why Iron Man may end up becoming the best of the Marvel film adaptations.

Iron Man trailer

It's not the full San Diego Comic-Con footage. But it has enough and also done in HD to show that Jon Favreau has got the look, feel and attitude of the Iron Man comics down pat. I think there's even a scene with Obadiah Stone and his Iron-Monger suit somewhere in that trailer. I really think they got the casting of Robert Downey, Jr. perfect as Tony Stark. I'm still a tad leery of Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts, but as long as she does a better job in that role than Katie Holmes did with the Rachel Dawes part in Batman Begins then it's all good.

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Time to bump this up and show why Iron Man may end up becoming the best of the Marvel film adaptations.

I think what made the Spider-Man movies so good was that there was a sense of epic to them, that is not present in the comics but that they added when it reached the screen. It does not look like Iron Man has this feature, so I fear that it may be too light as Fantastic Four was.

Downey Jr. is perfect though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: