Suikoden United and Illusional Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Gordius

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Gordius Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just looking through some realy old topics that were around before Suikoden IV even was released (The Suikoden History Trivia one to be exact) and there was a question that was posed about Estella and Alma Kinan. The question was "What was the name of the all male village that Estella mentions is the counterpart of Alma Kina?" The answer was Gordius.

I then did a search and I found an old locked topic based on the subject where everyone called Estella a big fat liar and that she had no truth in her words.

However, through time Suikoden V showed us an all male village in the south of Falena called Gordius. Granted that it can in no way be an answer to the population issues of Alma Kinan, there is a counterpart-all male village called Gordius.

Now, can we derrive from this that Estella has been to Falena? Or at least heard of it? Can we finally clear her name as a crazy kook and maybe give her some credibility? Yes, she made you look for a village in the woods that does not exist there, but it DOES exist and it is an all male place.

But then this continuity error arises. Suikoden V happens before the events of Suikoden III. After Suikoden V the Dragon Knights of Falena allowed women to join their ranks (Lun becomes the first female dragon knight). This now means Gordius is no longer an all male village. Is this an oversight that they forgot? Estella clearly knew of the the Falenian village when staking her claim, however when she made the claim, women were allowed into the village.

Does anyone have further insight on this whole thing or is everyone else in the dark like I am?

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Estella still deserves no credibility, since she still tells many, many lies, even if the Gordius tale turned out to be partly true. My guess is that it was originally supposed to be a lie as well, but the makers of Suikoden V thought it would be a nice reference to an older game to actually introduce the village.

As far as the timeline is concerned, I guess it's likely that Estella just read about Gordius in some book about history or geography, and when confronted with Alma Kinan, she remembered it and spun her little lie by combining those two villages into one context. Whether or not she knew that male-only Gordius was already history at that point is irrelevant, since she doesn't care for the truth anyway.

Also: Moved, since I don't think this is a gameplay topic.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I mentioned this in Zexen awhile back, when I was replaying Suikoden III. At face value, it's just the Suikoden Designing Team adding in a nice reminder to the previous games, by having an all Male town of Gordius.

But it's not hard to believe someone who's supposedly a great wizard like Estella has been to Falena. Especially when it's national treasure is a True Rune and two incredibly powerful unique runes.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's also kinda silly to think that Estella must have read it in a book. Suikoden V only took place 25-30 years before Suikoden III! I just checked Suikosource's timeline. She was born IS 447. The Sun Rune War is listed as IS 449. If she was from Falena originally, knowledge of Gordius would pretty much be first hand as people in the area adjust to the addition of women to the order.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: