Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...Oh holy crap. I've heard little snippets about this film before, but having seen the trailer, I now know that I will have to go see it. It looks absolutely fantastic! The truth is from what little I had heard, I assumed it would be lord of the rings with Talking animals, which it does vaguely resemble. But I gotta say it looks much better than a mere knock off.

Like, enough so that I think I need to go buy the books.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nicole Kidman was pretty hot in that trailer, she carries a very ethereal look about her throughout the entire trailer.

I haven't read the series, because I didn't really like the way it was described, but the movie made it look really good.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
she carries a very ethereal look about her throughout the entire trailer.

That's the word I was looking to describe her.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The trailer looks really very good, I can't wait to see the movie and Iorek Byrnison. Since I've read the first book (I still read the second) I am IorekFan, I wondered how he would look like in the movie, now that I've seen the trailer I must say: he looks great! ^^
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm looking forward to seeing this, much to my chagrin. I thought the third book sucked hairy ass and ruined the entire concept, but alas! I still want to see the movies.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll see the movie, even if it is only for the art style and cinematography, which, judging from the trailers I've seen are spectacular. Plus y'know armored polar bears, its like like Axiose's pet war units fo' real :P

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm excited about the movie, and I really do need to go about reading the books.

My mother brought up the topic over the controversy of the book/movie and whatnot with her being a devout Baptist and whatnot and so I went and did a little research into the more religious themes in the book and whatnot and after reading a very extensive interview with Pullman, I honestly think I'm okay with a lot of things.

I guess, once again, it's just people being entirely too touchy over something they're not looking into enough. ~_~

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Religious undertones? Or perhaps overtones like Narnia? What religion in particular is it portraying or like?

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The end of the third book turns into a weird blob of anti-Christianity (or so it seemed to me). I didn't pick up on any religiousness in the first two books, but unless it's pretty obvious and I'm fully awake, I'd miss it anyway.

It was pretty random, in any case.
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Celes Tilly wrote:
The end of the third book turns into a weird blob of anti-Christianity (or so it seemed to me). I didn't pick up on any religiousness in the first two books, but unless it's pretty obvious and I'm fully awake, I'd miss it anyway.

It was pretty random, in any case.

's what it seemed like to me. It seemed mainly anti-Catholic more than anything, from what people are saying and whatnot. :/

Like with anything else, I'm going to read the book and draw my own conclusions as I've heard things from both sides as well as from people whose opinions I care about somewhat.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can't really see any truly anti-relgious sentiments until the third book when he ties (tries) it all together. Though there are enough anti-relgious points throughout the first book, with more coming through in the second book.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It looks like Christian Groups have begun an antiGolden Compass talking about how the movie aggressively promotes atheism. Either these groups are basing their complaints on the book itself or they've not seen the movie. I know it's been talked about by some here how the book's more extreme views on Roman Catholicism has been toned down for the movie.

If these groups have seen the movie and are still protesting it and trying to convince everyone else that it should be a movie people shouldn't go see then was the toning down of the anti-religion rhetoric in the book not as large as people have feared.

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the complaints acknowledge that the movie isn't going to be so anti-religious, but they claim it's a backdoor introduction to atheism because after seeing the movie kids will want to read the books. Then they'll be damned to hell and whatnot.

It's just really annoying how Narnia's fine for carrying a Christian ideology, but dear god no, you can't present any sort of opposing view in a kids book.

But all this will likely do is increase sales for the film.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Funny thing is some atheist groups have complained the movie is not anti-religion enough like the book themselves. Though they're not telling people to stay away from it.

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This has probably been asked but how many people have actually read the books... all three of them? I have to say i was quite supprised that anyone would be willing to make these movies because they do have such a strong and bliantent anti-religion themes. Even more intresting is how the second movie will play out. Expecially since the book seems to have suffered from middle child syndrome in my opinion. Still even more intresting is the third book which is all about a second war against the Kingdom of God. I'm living in the bible belt currently and i know a lot of people who are going to hate these movies.

also i can't wait to see Balthamos and Baruch... Oh i'd hate to be a parent trying to explain that one to the kids.

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: