Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since Peter Jackson pulled off his adaptation (I know there are Tolkien-ites out there who hate some of the changes Jackson made to keep the trilogy from becoming a 24-hour franchise) of The Lord of the Rings trilogy there's now more and more fantasy properties to make it onto the screen. C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia made a very good start with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and Prince Caspian is currently in the middle of production. Eragon is another fantasy franchise to make a good box-office.

Outside of Tolkien's mammoth trilogy, the one fantasy franchise that's been greenlighted for film adaptation that I've been really excited for is Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. This book has been called the antithesis of the heavy-handed religious and moral themes in C.S. Lewis' Narnia Chronicles. To come out in the first week of December 2007, The Golden Compass is the first of a trio of films to be adapted from Pullman's books. There's no trailer --- teaser or full --- that has been released to the public, but the first one-sheet poster to go up in movie theaters has arrived.

Click on the thumbnail to see this gorgeous one-sheet for The Golden Compass. It's a massive image and it just looks so pretty.

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow I had no idea they were making a movie of this. I remember reading that book a good while ago and if done right that movie will be amazing. I cant wait to see it.

Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you go to the movie website you can play this little personality thing and get your own Daemon matched up with you =o

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What Daemon did you get paired up with, Nadistu?

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I originally got paired up with a spider, recently my friends have changed it to some sorta bird though?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Couldn't be more excited about the way the movie looks. Every still I've seen for it looks scrumptious.

However, I'm concerned about excluded all the religious elements from it. I'm not sure how that'll play out. I'm willing to go along with it but I'm quite nervous.

I can't tell if that's Iofur (they've changed his name in the movie apparently) or Iorek. I wouldn't have thought they'd have put Iofur on the picture next to Lyra but I didn't think Iorek ever wore golden armor - that was kinda a character point about him.

Also, I am a Daemon already, so need to take that test ;)

By the way, I made a lengthy thread about this a while ago, but I assume it was destroyed as I can't find it now :(

There was talks that Pullman wanted Samuel L Jackson to play Lee Scoresby. I think it's safe to say that would've been a terrible choice. So far the talent in the movie has impressed me.

Edit: Am I the only one that didn't like Narnia? I thought it was pretty awful to be honest. There's a magic that seems apparent even in the images of The Golden Compass that was just absent from Narnia.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No Axiose, you aren't. Narnia was the suck. It jumped from point to point way too often and didn't flow as a film I felt.

Apparently my Daemon is Desra, a Gibbon type. My profile revealed I was assertive and passive? Strange combo but okay.

Anyway I've not read the books but I have heard of the author and the series, I like the fact there are more fantasy based films coming to the fore in recent times I can only hope this one ends up being better than Narnia, at least the website for this one looks nice.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My Daemon is Clymonistra who is a Tiger type. My profile reveals me to be assertive, modest, shy, soft-spoken, and sociable. Such contrasting pairs of qualities if I ever saw any.

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just wondering if these fantasy films will be able to keep coming. After all, most of them are based on series that give the option for several films, but after the market is totally deluged with them, people will eventually stop caring. They just won't be special any more.

The big one I think is Narnia. It did well now, but I don't know if it will be able to get through all seven books before it loses steam.

Of course, I also thought that superhero movies would have started dying out by now, but they're huge. (How else can Ghost Rider be so bad and make so much money?) I suppose what these genres have is the strong pop culture geek base that ensures people will go them no matter the quality, but I think eventually even the most steadfast fantasy lovers will get sick of epic CG battlegrounds.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deadly Assassin

289976 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am extremely excited about this movie since I heard about it a little while back. I read the His Dark Materials trilogy a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it. Since it is an adult fantasy series, I am expecting this movie to be very professionally done instead of thrown out there like Narnia was. And, by the looks of the website, I think it will be very good. If Pan's Labyrinth and this are a sucess, maybe more adult fantasy movies will follow.

I took the quiz and it said I was: Modest, Inquisitive, Assertive, spontaneous, and solitary. I was matched with Lysianthia, the female Crow Daemon.

Chief of Hot and Steamy Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Mitsuba + Godwin Avatars Unite- Sports
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
I'm just wondering if these fantasy films will be able to keep coming. After all, most of them are based on series that give the option for several films, but after the market is totally deluged with them, people will eventually stop caring. They just won't be special any more.

The big one I think is Narnia. It did well now, but I don't know if it will be able to get through all seven books before it loses steam.

Of course, I also thought that superhero movies would have started dying out by now, but they're huge. (How else can Ghost Rider be so bad and make so much money?) I suppose what these genres have is the strong pop culture geek base that ensures people will go them no matter the quality, but I think eventually even the most steadfast fantasy lovers will get sick of epic CG battlegrounds.

ell, it's a bit unfair to lump in Ghost Rider with something like The Golden Compass. The former being so bad that it's become a good MST3K-type movie. That movie was bad yet it seemed like everyone on it knew that it was bad and decided to just enjoy themselves no matter what critics may say.

As for fantasy films there's a reason why they're still the de riguere of the industry. It's a revived genre which now has the technology to make scenes and places thought impossible. Critics who think all films should be something like 400 Blows, M or Fanny and Alexander never understood the entertainment part of the artform. Fantasy films and other so-called "low-brow" genres as elite critics like to call them are escapism at its most basic. Sometimes people just want to go into a movie theater, buy their snacks and drinks and enjoy 90 minutes to 2 hours of onscreen fun. There will always be a place for the more esoteric and art for art's sake films, but if one wasn't enjoying them then what's the point other than to satisfy a filmmaker's ego of believing he's better than everyone else and his film says so.

Fantasy epics, like the sword-and-sandals historical epics which Gladiator revived in 2000 will reach it's peak before returning back to obscurity for another generation, but unlike historical epics, there's quite a bit of literary fantasy which was seen as impossible to adapt in the past but possible now that CGI is allowing filmmakers to create scenes and images once reserved to reader's imaginations.

As for Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, it will succeed or fail on whether people will accept another children-based fantasy franchise. There's already Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia. Not to mention two new arrivals in The Bridge to Terabithia and Eragon. I think the new thing which Pullman's trilogy has to offer will be a darker tale right from the beginning. Even with Chris Weitz (writer and director) pulling back from the more overt instances of atheism and anti-religion themes of Pullman's books, The Golden Compass will still retain a sense of darkness in the characters and the world they inhabit.

Plus, it has Iorek, the Armored Polar Bear! How cool is that.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I can't tell if that's Iofur (they've changed his name in the movie apparently) or Iorek. I wouldn't have thought they'd have put Iofur on the picture next to Lyra but I didn't think Iorek ever wore golden armor - that was kinda a character point about him.

I don't know too much about The Golden Compass-- but when it comes to promotional pictures, the advertising teams often make mistakes. I remember that in the Phantom of the Opera promotional posters his mask was covering the wrong side of his face. But I suppose most people won't really notice such things, just as many people have overlooked the point of the armor.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was quite impressed when reading the books that there never really is a huge war battle between the Angels and the Rebels. The book was building to the huge fight (as is inevitable) but you never actually see much of it - during the majority of the battle, the story follows Lyra again. It works well actually, but I think some people might be dissapointed in #3

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Deadly Assassin wrote:
Since it is an adult fantasy series, I am expecting this movie to be very professionally done instead of thrown out there like Narnia was.

The books are (according to Pullman himself) directed at children and "young adults".

I never read the trilogy, but I dislike the author a lot, so I am prejudiced against his books (and the movie). But the polar bears in armor are nice. And the title sounds interesting, I admit, but it's only a shameless quote from Milton, so it doesn't really impress.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do like the polar bears as well, never really liked the idea of the small child running around the fantasy world as I think it's been done a lot, but I look forward to the movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: