Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Animal Euthanasia
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Animal Euthanasia Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just gonna post this in Gaien but it seemed there was an actual discussion to be had about the subject.

Basically my dog of 8 years has had a bad limp for awhile and it turns out that its dog cancer. Hes gonna be put down this Thursday. Im a little upset about it but hes pretty old for his breed and it was only a matter of time anyway.

The point is what do you guys think about putting animals down? Vets seem very eager to throw in the towel with animals. And to say its so expensive Im wondering if you thinks Vets should treat animals more like humans from a medical perspective?

Im sure there is more to be discussed about this, so feel free to stray from this core question and reach to other areas as long as its not completly off topic.

As always I look forwarf to your posts.

Sniper_Zegai a few posts ahead wrote:
Guys you wont F***ING BELEIVE THIS!

Let me explain real qiuck, my dog does'nt live with me, he lives with my parents who live down the road. I found out he was gonna be put down on sunday 2 weeks ago, (thats when I have archery practice with my step-dad) I did'nt have practice last week and did'nt talk to my family. Anyway I stopped in today and could'nt help but notice that my dog was still alive.

Turns out that some BS vet mistook a deformed/overgrown bone thing for cancer and was getting the needle ready when another vet spotted the real problem and simply gave spike some steriods to sort him out.

P.S. I officially think vets are insane rip-off merchants from now on.

I feel bad becuase you were all so kind, thanks again for all your concern. I really appreciate it. Guess hes got a couple of years left.

and there you go.

Last edited by Sniper_Zegai on Sun May 13, 2007 5:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

I feel about animals much the same way I feel about humans - if there is no hope for that animal to live pain free and maintain some level of dignity in its life while going about daily activities, or the quality of life for him is no longer maintainable due to illness or an irreversible medical condition, then I believe the humane thing to do is put it down.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry to hear about your dog Zegai. It is the problem with pets, they usually don't live longer than their owners and there can be some grief when the time comes for the pet to die, however try to remember all the good times you had with your dog.

As for putting animals down, I suppose if a pet can only just move and is unhappy - it should be the owner's choice whether to take action or let them die naturally. Personally I'd prefer to let pets live till they die by themselves unless only in "extreme" circumstances.
No_Brain

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Overall, I'm all for pet euthanasia, as I've seen my grandpa's dogs die off from wounds and disease, and the most humane thing you can do is put them out of their misery. Of course, in some cases euthanasia is overused, when people just decide it's not worth it for them to heal and take care of the animal and take the easy way out.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It' a hard issue. Of course, maintaining animals can be very difficult because once they've reached old age, they're pretty much goners, but I believe that many of their owners would gladly fork out the money to do it. However, reading several stories about pet owners who put their pets to sleep, I think that the main reason why this is done because unlike humans, animals don't really get much enjoyment out of life without activity and they somehow seem more miserable living on, and that is why they let their pets be put to sleep.

For me, they should be put to sleep only when the owners consent, the pet is too old, its quality of life is severely impaired or it's badly injured. From wha I've read, horses are put to sleep if they can no longer walk and I suppose it's pretty logical, seeing that horses like to run about. I know that some vets are too eager to put animals to sleep; I guess maybe they don't value the pet as much as its owners do.

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I know that some vets are too eager to put animals to sleep; I guess maybe they don't value the pet as much as its owners do.

There's also the factor of money. Most euthanasia shots are highly priced, and sadly there are those vets who put profit in front of moral.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well if you can afford cemotherapy for your dog/cat who is 11 years old and aford surgery so they can live an extra two months go for it.

now see this is for medical things, some people want to put down dogs because they tire of them, I once read somthing that someone wanted to get rid of their dog, "because it didn't match the funiture". THAT is the worst reason to destroy an animal. But if a dog is 12 years old, senile, peeing in its sleep and has tumors in its lungs and cries in pain all the time...would you want to keep that animal alive?

Yes its sad you need to put your dog down, but you said at 8 the dog is very old for the breed. I'm just guessing you have a Great Dane or Irish Wolfhound.

I watch a lot of that E-vet show on animal planet so I see a lot of um, medical cases, thats pretty much my experance in vetenary medican here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry about your dog, it's always tough to have an animal put to sleep.

For animal euthanasia, it's often the more humane option, so I'm for it. Older animals with major illnesses often have a low quality of life and are in such extreme pain that, to me, it's much more cruel for the animal. I used to have a dog that we let live until it died naturally. It was painful for us to watch him in his final days, here he wouldn't eat and couldn't stand up.

Luceit wrote:
I know that some vets are too eager to put animals to sleep; I guess maybe they don't value the pet as much as its owners do.

It's their job to be more objective than the owners, so of course they aren't going to be as attached. A doctor isn't as attached to a patient as much as the patient's family is, because they have to be able to treat them as objectively as possible.

No_Brain wrote:

There's also the factor of money. Most euthanasia shots are highly priced, and sadly there are those vets who put profit in front of moral.

Not nearly as expensive as it would be for the owner to pay for all of that care that the vet would provide. A euthanasia shot is, on average, around $75. For older dogs, arthritis medication can cost $150 a year. Cancer treatment, which can cost thousands of dollars for humans aren't that less expensive for dogs. Most any procedure that is available for humans is available for pets, and they are often just as expensive. For a vet, it is often much more lucrative to try to treat an animal and sell them all of the treatment as opposed to put them down.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zegai, that sucks. I'd be gutted if my dog was ill also. I'm very sorry!

I'm for animal euthanasia (I'm actually for euthanasia as a whole, but that's another topic) as my previous dog needed to be put to sleep. It was heat wrenching to have her taken to the vets, but I believe it was the best thing. She was too ill and lethargic so the injection was the best option.

My own thought is that the animal is suffering - there was no medication that would've helped her - is to end that suffering. It's difficult, but I don't think it'd be any easier to sit there and watch an animal suffer.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We had to put a parakeet down not even a year ago due to a hemorrhaging in her reproductive tract due to excess egg-laying. It was either we let her live just to end up bleeding to death (even a drop of blood lost by a parakeet is serious business), or we put her down. Seeing her suffer was really a difficult thing to do, especially because she was so tiny.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Zegai. Been there. It was the strangest thing. Three years ago, my dog, Abbie, lived with me during spring semester. She was 10 1/2 and in pretty great health despite her age. I went on vacation for a month and left her with my grandparents and uncle. As soon as I returned, I noticed that something was very wrong. Her back was hunched and she started to vomit for no reason.

Turns out my pup developed cancer in her vertebrae. Our vet tried his hardest to keep her alive. In fact, the first two adrenaline shots improved her condition dramatically. We even went so far as to have her checked in a veterinarian college the next state over. Alas, nothing came to pass and we agreed with the vet that no more could be done. The last time I saw her was in a little crate. It was heart-wrenching to see her trying to get exciting during the visit. Hell, even the staff at the clinic started to get a little teary-eyed.

Nevertheless, I still have the memories and I am glad that I got to take her on that last camping trip before her departure into the sunset. If you would like to see the crazy mutt living with me now, take a look in the pets topic in our nation's forum.

I'm just speaking for myself, but my vet and the clinic do treat animals almost like humans. They even went so far as to send us a hand-drawn picture of Abbie as they gave their condolences. The truth is, though, that things like this happen and I personally feel that if an animal is in obvious pain, certain measures have to be taken.

This is a grieving process, Sniper, and it will take some time to recover. I can understand what you are going through and you'll be back to your feet soon enough.

P.S. Any thoughts on a new dog?

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In repsonse to an earlier post. My dog is a Staffordshire Bull Terrior called Spike. And being a pure breed he was'nt cheap either. He old for his breed but not that old he could go for about 3 years more at most. Im just saying that he is'nt a puppy or anything.

And as for surgery, how much can it cost to just chop his leg off. Despite the slight cancer in his leg, he still seems happy limping around. It just seemed odd there were no alternatives.

And thanks for the concern guys. I'm fine though, Im upset abit becuase Ive had him for so long but Ive had about 7 Staffs in total. Lost em all one way or another, none of them died though. Guess Im just surprised more than anything.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:

And as for surgery, how much can it cost to just chop his leg off. Despite the slight cancer in his leg, he still seems happy limping around. It just seemed odd there were no alternatives.

Generally, a lot more expensive than the euthanasia shot. There's the numbing, the procedure itself (including the wage of the vet), and the likely painkillers that would results. It's not like they would take a machete and lop it off.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So sorry about your dog, Zegai. It's gotta be hard. I believe that everything's got the right to live until the very end, but what's best is best.
rjcruz0622

1212 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Doctors often put a dog to sleep if they see it has no chance for recovery, and it would just be in pain whilst sick. Usually dogs with cancer or large infections are laid to rest due to the fact that medications cost a lot and it would only prolong his/her suffering. I know how bad it feels to lose a friend, I am sorry for your loss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: