Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Favorite Movie Endings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Favorite Movie Endings Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I already started the Favorite Movie Beginnings thread, so I figured-- why not start a thread about what your favorite endings are. Even more important than grabbing the audiences attention in the beginning of a film, is wrapping it up in a conclusive, shocking, fresh, exciting way. ^^

Picking my favorite movie ending is a very difficult choice...

First off I think of Brazil, by Terry Gilliam. The entire movie is quite odd-- very different, which is appealing to me. The ending, however, is hardly what you could expect. It's so strange, in fact, that the studio altered it (I've never seen the altered version, though) for theatrical release. The real ending reveals to the audience that happy ending is only an illusion, and Sam has really drifted away into insanity. The movie closes with the lines "He's Gone." And he was. Certainly one of my favorite movies, and the ending, and the build up to the ending is certainly part of it.

The next two movie endings I rank just a bit ahead of the ending of Brazil-- but all of these ending are just terrific.

Planet of the Apes. Need I really say much here? This is all time classic twist ending for a science fiction movie, and I don't use "all-time" lightly. Even if you've had this ending spoiled for you before seeing it (which is likely) it is still shocking, and especially so due to the just terrific acting by Charlton Heston, who is one of my favorite actors. Just amazing.

The other film ending at the top of the list for me is Dr. Strangelove. The events before the very end of the movie with the nuclear war, and Pickens riding on the nuclear warhead would certainly put this as one of the best ending of all time-- but also the following scene with the "leaders of the free world" sitting around their table discussing how to survive the nuclear holocaust. With the scene trailing off to the song "We'll Meet Again" then entire thing comes to a close in one of the weirdest, but strangely logical endings I've seen. ^^

So anyways-- share your favorite conclusions to movies here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree about Brazil's ending. I'm not a huge of the whole film itself, but the last twenty minutes are great. I've seen the altered version, and the imposed ending barely even makes sense. It takes more imagination to figure out what's going on in the simplified version than it does in the original.

On the opposite side though, sometimes studio imposed edits can be better than the originals. Like Army of Darkness; the Hail to the King Baby ending is like cinematic gold, whereas the original trapped in the future ending is just sort of so-so. The difference here though, is that the creators changed the ending themselves, rather than some producer.

Other great endings... I'm a sucker for the Wes Anderson slow motion/perfect music endings. It's just that they so perfectly capture the mood of the film, resolving the story, but leaving the characters and questions still open. The Squid and the Whale also reaches even more fantastic heights, as its ending manages to carry a dozen different feelings in about two minutes of footage.

Others that I really like: Vertigo, City of God, In the Mood for Love, Happy Together, The 400 Blows, Shoot the Piano Player, The Graduate, and for perhaps the most deliciously ironic, cynical ending, Robert Altman's The Player.

I guess in short I prefer resolutions over endings.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone seen the credits of Just friends? lol, him singing to Boys to men is hilarious!

Besides that the ending to Monty Python and the holy grail alway made me laugh.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's so many movie endings that's become favorites of mine. Both Gil and Shrew have mentioned a couple that's on my list of favorite endings. The endings to 400 Blows, Planet of the Apes and Dr. Strangelove are on my favorite list. There's a few more movies that I would say have endings that I consider big favorites of mine.

Reservoir Dogs - That ending with the Mexican stand-off between Mr. White, Nice Guy Eddie, Joe and Mr. Orange was just classic. The fact that Tarantino didn't fade it out and actually showed the inevitable conclusion to the stand-off was just great to see. But what made the ending to this movie that much greater was the reaction of Mr. White to Mr. Orange's confession after the gunfight with police barging into the warehouse.

The Thing - This movie didn't just have a great beginning but it had an even better ending. The base and their only source of shelter blow to high-heaven the two survivors continue to be suspicious of one another. The minimalist, bass-synth music in the background just adds to the paranoia and utter nihilism of the scene. Even today fans of the movie still debate as to whether the ending had the two survive or something worst.

The Searchers - The Searchers is one of my favorite westerns and inarguably John Ford's best work ever. The ending with John Wayne's character silhouetted in the doorway as it closes on him has been copied many times. Even Coppola made great use of the technique in The Godfather and The Godfather, Part II. First with the door closing on Kate as she looks into the room where Michael begins his reign as Godfather. Then in the sequel with Michael sitting alone in silhouette as everyone he knows and loves are either dead or estranged from him. The Searchers did it first and the impact of that ending made this movie more than just your typical Western.

A History of Violence - The ending to this movie is simple yet very powerful. I just like how it takes the nuclear family dynamic and turns it on its head. As Viggo's character comes home from his mission to finally solve the problems his past has caused him. Him sitting at the table with his family and no one saying a word but everyone's looks and body language pretty much shouting that everything has changed and no one knows if its for the good or just more tragedy.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Memento. HAUNTING.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nothing more needs to be said other than Shawshank Redemption. Fantastic - always gets me.

That and I can't seem to get through watching the end of United 93 without getting choked up.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both "You've Got Mail" and "While You Were Sleeping" have fantastic endings. I don't usually go for chick flicks, but I LOVE these. I'm not going to spoil any of it--you guys need to go watch those! XD

Also, the ending of "Joe Vs. the Volcano" is definitely worth noting!

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The ending to the movie Enemy of the State with Will Smith is probably my favorite ending of all time.

Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Machinist with Christian Bale. man, that movie was a rollercoaster ride, literally. The ending blew my mind!

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
That and I can't seem to get through watching the end of United 93 without getting choked up.

what, "Boom" ?

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, I did so love the ending to Pan's Labyrinth. I was rather skeptical of any movie daring to use the name Labyrinth and not have David Bowie in it, but the ending to this was great. It really was heart warming when Ophelia dies, the whole thing being nothing more than a hallucination because she was clearly nuts I tells ya, more movies should end like that. Really puts a big grin on one's face :)

~Uguu!~
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm yet to do it. powerful movie indeed.

Nameless Bank Tellers

1058406 Potch
188012 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The bankthing's favorite movie ending would be Dog Day Afternoon. Because the bank robbers are justly served, reinforcing the moral that capitalism cannot and should not be messed with.
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Love Actually: I really enjoyed the ending. I'm...still straight, right?

Howl's Moving Castle: Although this was the second Miyazaki flick that I have ever seen (Kiki's Delivery Service being the first), HMC is simply marvelous in every sense of the word. Naturally, the ending (although surreal) was just as fulfilling. This is one of those movies where you want everyone to live happily ever after, and that is exactly what happens. What do I want for Christmas? A flying castle, damn it!

The Departed: Okay, so I saw it coming. However, I was truly satisfied when Matt Damon got shot in the head.

The Illusionist: I was on the edge of my seat throughout the movie, and the ending was certainly entertaining. Still, I can't help but feel bad for the count who committed suicide.

The Prestige: Like The Illusionist, The Prestige also packs a punch. The thing about this ending is that they practically tell you how the flick will end in the middle of the film, but it doesn't hit you until you finally see what happens! Good stuff...and those tricks weren't bad either.

Vanilla Sky: I remember questioning this entire movie when I saw it in theaters five years ago. However, once I figured out the ending, it stuck with me. Some critics hate the ending (as well as the movie), but I thoroughly enjoyed it--even if it can be explained in like ten different ways.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really love the ending of The Shawshank Redemption. It was so great when Red found his friend at the beach and they greeted each other. I almost cried when I saw this movie for the first time ;)

The Fool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: