Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NFL Draft 2007
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: NFL Draft 2007 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone watching? The NFL draft is starting now. Raiders currently on the clock.

Experts seem to think Russell is a lock to go first. However, there's also Quinn who may be more "ready" for the NFL. Hard to say. I don't think any of the QBs will have any success until they solve their O-line issue. Gallery? Pffft.

Anyone watching?

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, The Raiders pretty much went exactly how everyone thought they would and picked up big-boy QB from Louisiana State University, Jamarcus Russell. It's the safe pick for the Raiders and they do need a QB to throw to Randy Moss. Though I still believe the Raiders should've picked Calvin Johnson and taken a QB in the second round. They could've picked either Trent Edwards (Stanford) or John Beck (BYU) to be their QB.

And now this just in, Matt Millen and the Detroit Lions just picked the stud-player and best athlete in this whole draft their first pick: Georgia Tech super-receiver Calvin Johnson. This makes the fourth receiver the Detroit Lions have picked with their first-round pick in the last five years. The day is still young so there's still a chance Millen and the Lions will take offers to trade him to another team for their pick and even more picks. Even if they decide to keep Johnson the Lions could still pick Edwards or Beck in the second round to mentor under Kitna.

So far, the draft's gone according to what I thought it would. Yes, I did predict Millen would get hypnotized by the skills Calvin Johnson brought. I think that this pick of the Lions also has to have been influenced somewhat by Mike Martz who loves to spread the field with top receivers. Now, on the clock...the Cleveland Browns.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Brady Quinn is the last in the back, so all is well.

Other than that, it's been rather boring. I'd much rather see a bunch of crazy deals taking place to further crap on Kiper and his 50,000 mock drafts. Granted, none of them are going to be right, but still.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well.

I'm not happy with my Redskins for picking a safety when they could have traded down a pick or three and gotten possibly another wide or picked Okoye.

I'm not happy with the Bucs because they need Joe Thomas on the front line [dear Gods, the Bucs' OL suck!] but I can't argue with the DE that they got. The Bucs, even when they blew chunks back in the day, were always known for their D and if we have to blow chunks now under Chucky and Bruce Allen, I'd rather we did it with a solid and top ranked defense.

And am I sick for being amused that Brady Quinn may go a lot lower in the draft than people anticipated?

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am quite happy with the current picks and Day One transactions the 49ers made. Patrick Willis from Ole Miss was very high on the 49ers draft board. Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan were able to great a look at him during the Senior Bowl. Willis sure didn't disappoint and put up 11 tackles. Some in the sport circles here in the Bay Area thought that Willis might have been their first choice even over other players like Amobi Okoye (Louisville), Adam Carriker (Nebraska) and Alan Branch (Michigan).

As the teams above them started going for other players and then the Texans ultimately picking teenage Okoye over Willis I was quite happy. Patrick Willis should help anchor the linebacker side of the Niner's changeover from 4-3 to 3-4 which Nolan prefers most since it was the system he's more used to and one he used a lot in Baltimore. Patrick Willis should be able to take advantage of the fact that he doesn't have to start right away and be an everydown linebacker. The Niners still have Derek Smith but he's recovering from an eye-injury which made him a liability late last year. I can actually see Patrick Willis end up becoming the full-time starter with Brandon Moore as the teams two inside linebackers with Manny Lawson and Tully Banta-Cain bookending the two. This should make the Niners have one of the fastes, if not the fastest and most athletic linebacking corps in the NFL.

The trade to pick tackle Joe Staley from Central Michigan will either be a boom or bust for the Niners. I, for one, think Staley will become very workmanlike for the Niners once he takes the Right Tackle spot from Kwame Harris who has always been suspect in his pass-blocking. Staley's ability to be able to play either left or right tackle should make him a factor in keeping depth in the Niner's O-line. The Niner's also got size for their O-line which Nolan and Niner O-line coach George Warhop have been working on since they took over. Joe Staley's not Joe Thomas or Levi Brown, but the Niners got the poorman's version of Thomas and will not have to pay him top-10 money.

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

who picked up brady quinn? only name i know in this years draft because they talk about him a lot on mike and mike in the morning on espn.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cleveland in the 22nd pick.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, regardless of what happened these past few years, I don't think I can fault Detroit for drafting a Wide receiver this time around. Calvin Johnson is the closest thing to an automatic difference maker in the draft.

Brady Quinn falling that far is a travesty. I still don't have any idea what the heck the Dolphins were thinking drafting Ten Ginn. The guy is risky at best. They had a sure thing in Brady Quinn, but they passed on him. I can't believe how fortunate Cleveland was today. Not only did they get Joe Thomas, which apparently they wanted more than Quinn; but they also got Quinn after Miami passed on him. For the next 2 years or so, we'll probably be chatting about that. It was pricey to move up, but this move was definitely worth it.

Adrian Peterson was a steal at number 7. I can see why he fell considering the other teams above Minnesota had other issues to deal with. But I considered Peterson at least top 5 material.

Cincinnati getting Leon Hall was also fortunate. He was expected to fall around that area, but still the fact that he was actually sitting in front of the Bengals was good news for them. They needed that position really badly.

But I give the best first round to Jacksonville simply because they did the most with what they had. They traded down the draft to Denver's position, but they still got Reggie Nelson which is the guy they wanted. And as a result, they got a few extra picks from Denver because they let them move up. I do have to admit that they got lucky with the Titans passing over Nelson (who also drafted a Safety). For whatever reason they felt that Griffin was a much better choice, but I'm not so sure about him myself. I haven't heard anything noteworthy about Griffin.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I agree that hte Dolphins were dumb for not taking Quinn, I wouldn't really call it a travesty. A lot of teams were set at QB, and drafting Quinn wouldn't do them any good. Once the dolphins passed him up, it just triggered an Aaron Rodgers effect, he fell to the point to a team that needed him (or a team was willing to go up to get him). I think Russell was by far the better QB of the two and am not as high on Quinn as everyone else, namely because his college career is shaky at best.

Adrian Petersen was hampered by serious injury concerns. Watching him play a lot, I would echo these concerns. He hasn't been the same the past two years. When he's explosive, he's explosive, but I wouldn't want to take an RB in the top 5 unless I'm positive he's going to be one of the best in the league in a few years.

That said, while we'll need to see if it was a good thing in a few years, Cleveland got two of the top 5 picks in the first round. While I don't think they are going to be better next year (and thus Dallas will get a lot for their pick), I think if they pan out, we'll see a threat in a few years.

Of the first day, I think the Niners and the Bills made good strides. I like the Bills picking up Lynch to help out A-Train and I like Posluszny. They just picked up Trent Edwards, so the competition will help both him and Losman. The Niners did good as well, as Tull said. I do agree that the Lions had a good first day as well.

My Chiefs were a little baffling on Day 1. I like Dwayne Bowe and KC has needed a WR for a long, long time. However, their other two picks did nothing to fill the gaping holes that have opened up in their o-line, so it may not matter. Unless they do something, whoever is behind center is going to be plastered repeatedly in a way that makes the Houston Texan backfield look like Fort Knox.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say that the final two picks for the Niners in the 3rd round were very good. First, they were able to shore-up their defensive line by drafting a good to very good Ray McDonald who got lost in the shuffle with Jarvis Moss and Reggie Nelson taking all the big press in that BCS Championship defense at Florida. The Niners didn't need an impact defensive lineman, but one who could do spot duty with Bryant Young. McDonald should improve learning behind one of the best defensive lineman the Niners ever had. I can see Ray McDonald turning into a major runstopping DE. Right now he's pretty much a depth guy who can play both DE and NT in Nolan's revamped 3-4 defense.

I think the Niners got one of the biggest steal in Day One of the draft. Jason Hill from Washington State was one of the fastest guys during the combine and after watching him quite a bit since he played in the Pac-10, I will say that 4.32 speed of his translate on the field. He's not as big as Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Bowe, but he more than makes up for it in jumping ability and very good hands. He pretty much caught everything that was thrown his way. His stock dropped after a so-so senior season. A season where he had to deal with his mother being sick and taking care of her whenever he could. Without that distraction I think Jason Hill would've cracked the top 15 in the draft and falling no farther than the 20's.

The other thing why I like the Jason Hill pick is that he came from my old high school alma mater of Sacred Heart Cathedral College Preparatory. So, to say that I've watched this kid's skills improve from prep to college would be an understatement. IF the Niners do pull off a trade with the Seahawks of a 4th round pick this year for Darryl Jackson then I think the one big need the Niners have on the offensive side of the ball will have been met.

What do I want to see with the Niners on Day Two? There's still some very good cornerbacks to be had when they pick in the 4th round. They can also see about picking up another linebacker and maybe another guard. Another runningback wouldn't be out of the question. As good as Frank Gore has been and his durability has been better than what most have predicted, I do think they need another runningback to spell him up during games so he doesn't wear himself out. I think if Garrett Wolfe hadn't been taken in the tail-end of the 3rd round the Niners would've rolled the dice and picked him up with one of their four 4th round picks on Sunday. I see them picking another receiver just to bring in some depth and competition.

The rest of Day One, I would say that Vince Young better learn to start catching his own passes because Tennessee didn't do much to help him develop past his running. He will be doing a lot more running and I think this is where Young will end up mirroring Michael Vick. Until Vince Young can get a bonafide wide receiver he can trust to throw to he will stay an exciting, but one-dimensional player. The veteran linebackers and safeties in the league have seen that his scrambling skills are for real and will be chomping at the bit to get a second try at him. I wouldn't be surprised if he continues the Madden Cover Curse by getting himself hurt during a run and not finish the season. So, I will say that Tennessee had the worst draft of any team on Day One with the Eagles being a close second with their drafting of Kevin Kolb from Houston. I mean who the fudgesicle is Kevin Kolb.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not going to analyze every team's decisions, but I'm going to point out who I think had a great draft day 1.

Cleveland Browns, must I go further? Nabbing Joe Brown, and then trading up with Dallas to still get Brady Quinn, that was unpredictable. The mere fact that Quinn was still available at 22 astounds me. It baffles me why Miami passed on him. After that, poor Brady had to sit in the room all alone. He must have felt like crap. It was just a string of teams that didn't need a QB, thats all. I'm a bit surprised Detroit didn't try an swing a deal to jump in and get him. How sweet would that have been? Calvin Johnson and Brady Quinn? Instant Tandem!

I don't see Cleveland becoming an overnight threat like New Orleans did last year, or the Titans did at the end of the season, but give the Browns a few years, they'll be a playoff team (If Quinn isn't a bust). Watch their performance this year. If they do really bad, and so does Dallas, the Cowboys could potentially get two top picks in next year's draft.

Speaking of Dallas, they so far have had a poor draft. They haven't filled either of their big concerns (in my eyes). They need a wide receiver and a cornerback. Neither of which they picked up. In Servo's mock draft he had them taking a CB at 22, but they traded that away to Cleveland. So, Dallas, still trying to get a 1st rounder, thry traded with Philadelphia to get the 26th selection. Then they took a Defensive End. I suppose they were soft in that spot, but they could have gotten someone better. Robert Meachem perhaps.

My Buffalo Bills made out pretty damn well. The top 3 names on the Bills list going into Draft day were Marshawn Lynch, Patrick Willis and Joe Poslusnzy. Yes, Pos was high up in the "to get" list for Buffalo. Dick Jauron likes the cut of his Jib so much he even traded up with Detroit to get him in the second pick of the 2nd round.Marshawn Lynch fills the need the Bills had after the McGahee trade to Baltimore. While the Niners ran away with Patrick Willis, I think the Bills had a good Day 1. They took QB Trent Edwards in the third round, he'll be a great backup for J.P. Losman and maybe put some pressure for him to finally step up and be a success.

I think Detroit had a good Day 1. They filled needs across the field. Maybe the curse of the Detroit WR #1 picks will end with Calvin Johnson. He's a crazy good player in college, we'll see if he pans out. Filling the need fr QB, Detroit made a good selection with Drew Stanton. He's a potential future QB for Detroit when Kitna is done there. I don't know his creds, but he looked to me like a decent QB. The mere fact Detroit had 3 2nd round picks was amazing. Even funnier was the fact they traded away their original 2nd round pick, yet still managed to get 3 picks that round. They filled up their needs on Defense. A solid Defensive End and a Free Safety. Maybe now Detroit might start stopping people from scoring. Nah, probably not.

As a Bills fan, I'd love to see the gamble Miami took on Ginn Jr. fail miserably, but then I'd feel bad for Ginn Jr. I liked watching him, he's a good player. But passing up Brady Quinn for him, thats something thats almost as "Oops!" as Texans passing on Bush last year. Not quite as bad though. Miami took a QB second round, which helps them a bit since Culpepper has no reliability anymore. Cleo Lemon is nothing more than a back-up so maybe John Beck will be the next Marino, probably not.

Lastly, I'd like to comment on the Philadelphia Eagles. They took a QB with their first pick, which was in the second round. Kevin Kolb? Who? Why? Do the people in Philadelphia not have faith in McNabb? Didn't they just get Kelly Holcomb over the offseason to fill Garcia's back-up shoes? What sort of crap is that? Philadelphia screwed up, I think.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Amyral wrote:
Cleveland in the 22nd pick.

lmao, funny how he was one of the most talked about and yet he goes 22nd.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the Bills also had a very good draft. Though their picking of Lynch with the 12th pick really had quite a lot to do with Patrick Willis being taken right before them by the 49ers. I think Willis was their main guy for a couple months now. Losing London Fletcher really hit their defense hard. Willis would've been an instant starter on the Bills. I think they still could have picked a nice replacement for Willis McGahee in the second round and used their 12th pick to pick up a corner to replace Clements. I think Darrelle Revis would've been a good pick with Willis gone. He's pretty much the only bonafide shutdown corner in the draft and the Bills defense need someone who can play both man-to-man and zone with the way their defensive scheme works.

I will say that Lynch will be a great player for the Bills. I actually had him higher on the RB list than Adrian Peterson. Peterson's running style of standing up high will be a major concern in time if he doesn't adjust to running lower. Linebackers and safeties will be tattooing and laying him out. In the open field Peterson is explosive and great. But he seems to lose yards when stacked up at the line. Lynch is not as fast and not as tall (but what's 2 inches really) but he does have a tendency to find holes where there aren't any. He has very quick feet and able to allow his blockers to finish their blocks to open up holes. Even when there's none he has enough speed to go from one side of the field to the other and make that turn up-field.

I know many GM's have compared him to Steven Jackson. this is not too far off since both players share the same college coach in Jeff Tedford. Lynch is more NFL pro-ready than Peterson and even though he has had his own hurts in college, he doesn't break as easily as Adrian Peterson. I say that if the Bill's offensive line just solidifies and turn in a decent job I can see Marshawn Lynch becoming a constant 1200-1400 yards rushing and 300-500 yards receiving running back for the Bills for years to come.

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Bills still have Anthony Thomas, and they'll probably do the 1-2 punch thing that was made so popular last year in Dallas and many other team cities. The A-Train is still effective and having Lynch as a releif for a down or two per series will keep him freser and it will give Lync the experience to take the helm as the Bills lead rusher in the coming years.

The major day 2 news wasn't really who was picked, but more or less who was traded. Randy Moss has left Oakland. He's now with New England as Tom Brady's deep threat. He was traded for a 4th round pick. Moss clearly wanted out of Oakland because it will still be another 3-4 years before they can contend for anything. New England can win a ring now. New England could use Moss too, having a potent receiver like Moss can open the feild to other receivers. Also Moss can finally be on a team with a legitamate QB and offensive line, something he hasn't had since the Culpepper years in Minnesota. Look for New England to really be a crazy team next year, blockbuster move. Now New England has a flood of good receivers with Donte' Stallworth, Randy Moss, Reche Caldwell and Wes Welker. What a huge receiving core.

The other huge trade was Darrell Jackson of the Seattle Seahawks to the San Francisco 49ers. He was traded for a 4th round pick, like Moss. Darrell Jackson can fit the hole Antonio Bryant left in San Fran. Not a huge of a move as the Moss trade, but it really makes San Francisco look a LOT more deadly. The West is going to be something to watch now.

Also, one of the big names on the trading block didn't move. Trent Green is staying in Kansas City, at least for now. Damon Huard is a suitable replacement, but I think Kansas City is wise for keeping Green at least for this season.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually think that using Lynch as a 3rd-down back would be best for his career at this moment. The way the Bills haven't really addressed their line means that as good a low-to-ground runner Lynch is he's still no Barry Sanders who can juke and spin his way out of tackles. Lynch has similar abilities but being a Cal Bear I'd rather Anthony Thomas take the brunt of the punishment. If the Bills do solidify their line that's when Lynch will finally take over.

The Darrell Jackson trade was a steal for the Niners. Giving up a 4th round pick this year (which they had 4 of) meant that they could spend more of their Day Two picks concentrating on Defense rather than offense. Day Two defensive picks have a tendency to pan out more than offensive ones. 5th-round pick Tarell Brown from Texas is an intriguing pick which could fail miserably for the Niners if he hasn't learned from his off-field problems. But if he has learned and takes to heart the new personal conduct policy instituted by Goodell then Brown could turn out to be one of the big gems in the rough players. He's not in the Aaron Ross caliber at Texas but had similar abilities and could play both man-to-man and zone coverage very well. He'd be a great nickle and dime DB who could be mentored and developed into a decent, if not, very good shutdown corner in a couple years. If he fails then the Niners didn't waste much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: