Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dolph's Visit to Oboro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Dolph's Visit to Oboro Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was playing through Suikoden V a while ago, and realized that it never seems to be explained why Dolph visits Oboro when they are docked in Raftfleet. In my eyes there are two possibilities:

1. Dolph wanted Oboro to join the new Nether Gate.

2. Dolph just wanted some information on an enemy, namely the prince or Georg perhaps.

In the game is there any clarification on this? The whole idea seems strange as Oboro abandons Nether Gate on the Queen's request (supposedly as the head of intelligence - "Shinatsu") and then does some odd jobs for Ferid. Why don't the Godwins at least attempt to have Oboro killed or abducted for serving Ferid or refusing to join them?
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's possible that Godwin didn't know they were one and the same. I imagine that most people wouldn't know what Shinatsu looks like, and as the other leaders have scarpered (apparently to Nagarea?) then they might assume Oboro has as well.

As for why Dolph was there, I simply don't know. Perhaps he was asking him to rejoin Nether Gate as it seems more likely. I doubt they'd hire a third party to investigate the prince of Georg.

Do you know the actual text at the scene?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Axiose wrote:
It's possible that Godwin didn't know they were one and the same. I imagine that most people wouldn't know what Shinatsu looks like, and as the other leaders have scarpered (apparently to Nagarea?) then they might assume Oboro has as well.

Not sure really, there must be someone with the Godwins who would recognize Oboro, if not Dolph himself. More suitable candidates for people who knew Oboro would most likely be Childerich or Marscal.

Sorry Axiose, I don't have a script of that scene, if someone does - please post it?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Not sure really, there must be someone with the Godwins who would recognize Oboro, if not Dolph himself. More suitable candidates for people who knew Oboro would most likely be Childerich or Marscal.

Sorry Axiose, I don't have a script of that scene, if someone does - please post it?

Why would Marscal recognise him? Oboro followed the order to disband long before the Godwin faction started reviving the group.

The scene is so vauge and without context that I don't see the need for exact dialogue anyway. :P

Basically, Axiose, you and Lyon exit Oboro's boat, Dolph is outside. You're all shocked. Oboro walks out. Oboro either doesn't, or pretends not to, recognise Dolph. (Most likely, he doesn't as Dolph would have only been in training at the time of Nether Gate's disbanding) He inquires whether Dolph has some business with him, a job perhaps, Dolph says he'll come back some other time. Dolph leaves. The end.

It is jarringly out of place in the game, really.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Why would Marscal recognise him? Oboro followed the order to disband long before the Godwin faction started reviving the group.

Yeah that was more of a long shot. However Marscal must have had some knowledge of Nether Gate's personnel to recruit them and recreate the organisation itself. It just seems like if anyone else apart from Childerich on the side of the Godwins would know, it'd be Marscal.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oboro might have recognized Dolph. The detective team recognized Lyon right away, and they hadn't seen her since she was a child.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was sort of thinking maybe there is no possible room for Dolph/Godwin side to recognize Oboro? I mean...the Nethergate assassins for one all wear masks and things to cover up their body...

Save for Dolph and Childerich--which I would think is because Dolph had trained after the disbanding of the group so perhaps he was not accustomed to the "uniform" or however you'd like to say it
And Childerich was posing as a gladiator which requires he not wear anything that associates him to Nethergate.

But yeah...perhaps when they were apart of Nethergate they kept their faces etc hidden....
Well....um...yeah maybe...that's just a vague guess...........

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Childerich is the least likely out of the three to know anything about Oboro, since he was not an original member of Nether Gate. He tacked onto the roster after the Godwin's reformed them. Remember, Lyon said something to the effect of "Nether Gate's standards have lessened, they would have never accepted the likes of him before" in regards for his gross incompetance and lack of sanity/morals.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wasn't it Oboro who said that? That quote is strong evidence Childerich isn't an original member though, however it can be said that he was a different person at one point who perhaps acted completely differently to what he did then to what he was like in Suikoden V - maybe due to the effects of Raging Nostrum over the years warping his mind.

However thats just me speculating. :P
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No. Raging Nostrum kills its user after running its course. So Raging Nostrum is not what caused his lapse in sanity. Although, perhaps you are right. We have no way of knowing what kind of man he was before joining the new Nether Gate. Was it Oboro that said that? It's been a while since I played SV. I think you're right, though!

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TruePerception wrote:
No. Raging Nostrum kills its user after running its course. So Raging Nostrum is not what caused his lapse in sanity. Although, perhaps you are right. We have no way of knowing what kind of man he was before joining the new Nether Gate. Was it Oboro that said that? It's been a while since I played SV. I think you're right, though!

The old Raging Nostrum didn't kill, except it was weaker. The "new" Nether Gate's Raging Nostrum eventually killed it's host after it had used up all it's energy but with the advantage of more strength.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really? I didn't know that!

Geddoe-9

The pahtless dude

156000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe Dolph went there to kill oboro
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Judging by Oboro's super duper sleuth skillz, I'm positive that he knows who Dolph is. And knowing him, he was probably just pretending not to know him. It's possible that Shigure knows him as well, because after the New Queen's campaign, he says "Damn Dolph..." as if he knows the guy.

Regarding the question of the topic, most likely, Dolph came there to re-recruit Oboro and company. I doubt he went there to kill him. That would be pretty stupid to do, with Shigure and Sagiri always by his side.

As for recognizing that Oboro's a Nether Gate member, I think it's just a thing between them. They can recognize each other by the "eye", or something like that. Of course, what I'm saying could be completely false, but I'm just throwing it out to the cosmos.

And Childerich... was just a mess. I think of Nether Gate as an organization that does not just promote being a ruthless killer. It seems that they have to have some sort of discipline that come with it too, which is why Childerich is said to not have been recruited under old standards, because of the way he acts.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Highwind wrote:
Judging by Oboro's super duper sleuth skillz, I'm positive that he knows who Dolph is. And knowing him, he was probably just pretending not to know him. It's possible that Shigure knows him as well, because after the New Queen's campaign, he says "Damn Dolph..." as if he knows the guy.

Regarding the question of the topic, most likely, Dolph came there to re-recruit Oboro and company. I doubt he went there to kill him. That would be pretty stupid to do, with Shigure and Sagiri always by his side.

As for recognizing that Oboro's a Nether Gate member, I think it's just a thing between them. They can recognize each other by the "eye", or something like that. Of course, what I'm saying could be completely false, but I'm just throwing it out to the cosmos.

And Childerich... was just a mess. I think of Nether Gate as an organization that does not just promote being a ruthless killer. It seems that they have to have some sort of discipline that come with it too, which is why Childerich is said to not have been recruited under old standards, because of the way he acts.

I wouldn't say discipline, since we still don't know the case of Saigiri besides it was because of Nether Gate that she could do nothing but smile and kill. If it was simple discipline it could be learned in conjunction with other methods, like say subterfuge (which Dolph fails at dismally with his 'oh I'm a bad man with a glaring obvious evil forehead slop to make my eyes look eviler!') They would have rules within the organisation yes, which would give the people some structure and 'path', but it's not discipline.

As for Oboro, I would agree that he should have known who Dolph was. If you think about it in terms of the organisation the chief of intelligence would have close organisational ties to whoever enlists or works with the members so that the two could send the most able assassin for the job at hand. One has the personnel one has the intricate job details, it would make sense at least that he should, unless he sucked at his job, know who Dolph was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: