Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Pokemon Pearl and Diamond
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Pokemon Pearl and Diamond Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So the entirety of my homepage convinced me to buy the new pokemon games. I ordered Diamond and it's supposed to arrive in a day or two. This'll be the first pokemon game I've played since Yeller.

Since it's a DS game, we could play against each other if we posted friend codes or something like that. I'm also curious as to what to expect from this game.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pokemon Pearl and Diamond Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:

Since it's a DS game, we could play against each other if we posted friend codes or something like that. I'm also curious as to what to expect from this game.
Apparently you can draw and chat too(I haven't tried it though)....although "chatting" in the previous Pokemon games was pretty primitive if I do say so myself xP

oh yeah...I have Diamond btw :o me and my bro reserved em from Gamestop and got the two bonus stylus and stylus base for preordering... pretty nifty little sticks ( lol )

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wait I thought the reason why emerald had pretty low reviews was because people are finally getting sick of the old pokemon formula like how people got sick of the dynasty warriors formula after a while (they are not the same type of games obviously but I just remember both as having almost exactly the same gameplay in over half a dozen games) yet this one looks like the same thing again but somehow it's getting really good reviews and feedbacks. what's the deal?

Also I think the last pokemon game I played was ruby and I got really beaten down by the same old stuff that felt exactly like the gameboy versions, should I bother getting this one or will it just be more of the same with very slightly better graphics?
Demon Eyes Kyo

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It has some slight stuff added. To each his/her own though, I guess. I just like playing them due to the feeling of nostalgia and it's not THAT bad of a game. They just continue to make the games because they know they can continue to milk the franchise, just like Final Fantasy or any other numerous numbered games.

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pokemon is kind of like Tetris, really - yes, it's simple, but there's a complexity under the exterior with the unit types, moves, and such that is still pretty pick-up-and-playable. Rather genius, really.

At any rate, they're quite fun!

The only game I've played so far is Pokemon Fire Red, but I'll be picking this one up. I'll probably wait until my boyfriend gets it, though, so we can play together. :D

I do wish it were easier to find out what the differences between versions are without spoiling yourself silly, though. I want to keep myself mostly in the dark about the different pokemon and stuff, but I'd like to know if there are any other differences between the two versions.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
wait I thought the reason why emerald had pretty low reviews was because people are finally getting sick of the old pokemon formula like how people got sick of the dynasty warriors formula after a while (they are not the same type of games obviously but I just remember both as having almost exactly the same gameplay in over half a dozen games) yet this one looks like the same thing again but somehow it's getting really good reviews and feedbacks. what's the deal?
I didn't pick up Emerald but I was under the impression that Emerald is EXACTLY the same as Ruby and Sapphire except the addition of Rayquazza. That's it. One measly addition of one legendary Pokemon =\
In the end I don't know if that was the only change or not but that was the reason neither me nor my brother were interested in picking Emerald up--as I imagine alot of other people weren't either...

Diamond and Pearl go beyond that in that besides the new Pokemon (obviously) there's a different plot and some new features/game play elements.
Although someone completely ignorant of the series could say that the Pokemon games are all the same to the core. You can't really argue with that but it's almost like saying Suikoden follows the same formula you know...?

It's just that the changes are less obvious in the Pokemon games and unless you pick it up and play through them all you won't really notice it from the outside.

Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am picking up Diamond or Pearl tomorrow and I am looking forawrd to it. Pokemon is actually a really complex game that doesn't get enough credit to it. The single player isn't so complex, but if you get dep into the multiplayer- you realize how much there is to the game. http://www.smogon.com/netbattle/ is a websiute and program that was created to allow people to fight online using pokemon at their max potential and you start to see why some pokemon, like chansey, are so powerful comapred to others and also how complex the game can become.

The new pokemon is adding a ton of new stuff that really only makes sense in the massive multiplayer field and I am really looking forward to it.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The series actually uses a lot of strategy. But I stopped playing after Gold and Silver because I didn't want to buy a Game Boy Advance. Back then it was sheer power that beat everything. All you had to do was a run a team of Mewtwo, Lugia, and Ho-oh (with Earthquake, whew) and you're set. I basically used that team along with a Snorlax and other Pokémon.

But again, as Timbo mentioned, I like the fact that the series uses strategy to be successful now. I tried playing Emerald and I was absolutely destroyed in Battle Tower by a Kingler. He first did swords dance to increase his power greatly. (My thunderbolt didn't kill him). He then used endure which let him live with 1 hp after another thunderbolt.

But the low Hp activated his held item which was a berry that increased his speed greatly. So now, he got the first attack. And guess what move he did after that. Flail. I was screwed from there. Thanks to Kingler's low HP, flail's power hit the maximum. And with the first attack every time, he killed the team with one hit each. Now that is smart.

I expect nothing less from this game. And the fact that you all can now battle/trade/chat with each other is going to be a big draw. I think there’s also a battle tower in this game considering there’s a music track by the same name in the ripped music file. That means the game will be very challenging at the end.

Small spoiler about one Pokémon:

There's one Pokémon in that game that's more powerful than anything we've ever seen. It blows Mewtwo and the rest out of the water. When you see it, you'll realize just how broken it is. But I won't bother to mention anything more about it due to spoilers.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ONe of the thigns that the online community does to counter teams of Mewtwos and other over powered pokemon is create a tier system. Pokemon like Mewtwo, Ho-oH and Lugia are what is known as the 'uber' tier and are used against other ubers.

But like Ced said, there are those types of strategies that happen all of time. One of my favorites is to use sceptile and give him leaf blade and a berry that boosts special attack when helath is low and have him use the ability substitute. Substiture takes away a fourth of your life but makes a doll that takes hits for you until it loses it's full life. With substitute, you can knock yourself down to low life by taking 1/4 damage a turn with it, then have the berry trigger laong with his trait and your power has tripled. From there you can easily sweep whole teams.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just read an interesting story. Apparently, Japanese gamers are willing to trade for lowered value Pokemon because they have English names. The option isn't available to them (just like we can't enter Japanese text). And just how we're interested in their culture, they are just as interested in ours. So maybe you all want to keep a few extras just in case. (Damn, maybe I should buy a DS lite and get in on this before I'll have to do things the hard way. )

So trade now! See what you can get. Maybe you might even be able to get some starter Pokemon (with Japanese names) for a measly scrub.

Sneaky. This has been going on for some time, but no one has spread the word because the market might be over-flooded. That's Pokenomics for you.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh sneaky, I didn't think you could transfer Japanese Pokemon into English game and vice versa

never thought of trying that with my Japanese Pokemon Gold and English Silver version to see if it works =o
*hops into the game right now to see if any Japanese players want to trade for a Magikarp* >.> <.< xD

Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got pearl, and I must say, I love it hehee.
I'm a pokemon addict, so there wasn't really any question about it. For the record, I like Dynasty Warriors and Harvest Moon series too. Maybe I have a knack for repetition.

For the record, Rayquazza was in Ruby and Sapphire, not just Emerald. You just were able to catch it before the elite 4 instead of after. There was actually a whole extra sub game added into emerald where you played through 8 badges in this non linear type of batling system, which was the main selling point to the game.

Anyway, back to Pearl and Diamond. Most people were preordering Diamond, so I got pearl. There's no differences in the games other than a few pokemon, for anyone worried about spoilers, there you go.

There's a decent amount of stuff that uses the wifi in this game, sadly I only have dial up where I live and can't get on. When I'm in town I should be able to though, weeehaw! I'll need some people to breed starters and trade with me or something hahaa. Yvl! I'm nominating you to help me!

I've been trying to catch a stupid female misdreavus for 2 days. I am not pleased right now. I'll make sure to write more on the game soon. :)

-My DeviantArt-

Last edited by Elzamine on Tue May 01, 2007 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will likely be getting this for my Birthday (august, yay~) I'll also likely get Pearl because I like Pearl's major Pokemon a great deal more. That's all I have to say for now.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been having fun with Diamond lately. For me, the main draw of the series is how many strategies and setups you can have playing through the story or against opponents. Finished the first gym, on my way to some windmill place. Party:

Lv 12 Pachirisu
Lv 17 Prinplup
Lv 14 Staravia
Lv 15 Bibarel (sup HM slave)
Lv 18 Kadabra
Lv 20 Budew
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Most people were preordering Diamond, so I got pearl.

And most people saw that and got Pearl, so that's why I got Diamond. :P

And I havent played the game since Yeller, so I'm quite surprised how good the plot is. Have the villains had this much of a presence in recent games too?

Code: 2506 1630 7401
What's all of yours? Send me an IM on AIM if you're able to get online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: