Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Aqua Teen Hunger Force*spoilers*

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Aqua Teen Hunger Force*spoilers* Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I went and saw the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for theatres tonight. Me and my group of friends that went are like addicted to the show and had a ton of laughs.

The movie is just basically a extended episode that is non sensical just like the episodes are, but it was definately worth seeing. Also, the introduction to the movie was absolutely Brilliant! Best Introduction to a movie I have seen in a long time

Quote:
Absurdism is the abstract expressionism of the comedy world. The same way someone might stand in front of a Jackson Pollock and claim that a kindergartner could do better, someone might watch certain Monty Python sketches and wonder where the jokes are. The Pollock critic doesn’t understand (or won’t admit) that we don’t just crave representation from art — a kindergartner drawing a three-legged purple splotch that may be the beginnings of a dog hasn’t bested Mr. P. Likewise, Jeff Foxworthy isn’t funnier than the Python troupe just because you know you’re supposed to laugh at what comes after “if.”

At its best, Aqua Teen Hunger Force is the reigning king of absurdism, completely uninterested in providing pleasure to the literal-minded. In episodes on the Cartoon Network that last about 11 minutes each, the aggressively nonsensical series follows the exploits of three housemates in the New Jersey suburbs: an obnoxious, pretty dumb milkshake named Master Shake; an even dumber, childlike rolling meatball named Meatwad; and a relatively sensible order of French fries named Frylock, who tries his best, with little result, to keep the other two from getting into extraordinary amounts of trouble.

It’s the type of show that would cause most of our parents’ heads to explode, not because it’s vulgar and violent — though it often is — but because it’s truly senseless, and even more so when stretched (past its breaking point) to 90 minutes on the big screen. David Lynch would complain that this movie is too willfully obscure.

The story loosely revolves around the trio’s efforts to find a missing part for a mysterious and powerful exercise machine called the Insanoflex, which machine eventually goes berserk — dropping metallic eggs that will later birth baby Insanoflexes, turning the Hunger Force’s gross neighbor, Carl, into an even grosser muscular freak, and leaving fiery wreckage in its wake. But this summary doesn’t do the movie justice. It’s much, much weirder than that.

Don’t believe me? It also features occasional cutaways to a talking slice of watermelon in outer space, who’s monitoring the activity in Jersey and whose sidekick is Neil Peart, the drummer from Rush. The large cast also includes the Plutonians, a pair of jagged-edged space creatures who covet the Insanoflex; the Mooninites, two residents of the … moon crudely drawn like aliens from an Atari 2600 game; and MC Pee Pants, a child rapper who is actually a spider. (For my money, the Mooninites are the funniest characters in the Aqua Teen universe. I would gladly sit through a four-hour epic about them, but they make only brief appearances here.)

Things start strong, with a prelude that updates the classic talking concessions who stroll across the screen to greet moviegoers, followed by an opening shot of the Sphinx pyramid, under which a series of not-so-helpful titles fade in: Egypt … A million years ago … 3:00 p.m. … 1492 … New York.

The best moments of the show are like that — silly but sharp. The movie loses its way for long stretches, though, when it snowballs surreality at the expense of actual, if completely ridiculous jokes.

The watermelon visits the planet in the movie’s bloody grand finale, which threatens to become a conventional (by ATHF standards) send-up of dramatic genealogical revelations along the lines of Darth Vader’s confession to Luke. Like the movie as a whole, the scene outstays its welcome, rescued in the end by another funny cameo by singing concessions.

Several hearty laughs don’t seem enough to justify asking pajama-wearing potheads to pay ten bucks for a product they get in a higher grade at home. But the problem (or blessing) is that the movie is immune to criticism. One could say it’s only good enough to be of interest to die-hards and cultists, but the Aqua Teen fan base is composed entirely of die-hards and cultists.

Still, while normally I would argue that if you’re the kind of stick in the mud who doesn’t appreciate things like a chicken/humanoid robot named Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future who tells meandering, untrustworthy stories about ancient times, then Aqua Teen hasn’t failed you, you have failed Aqua Teen. But I’m a big fan of the show, and the fact is, it kind of fails us here.

I pretty much agree with everything this guy said in his review of the movie.

Unless your a fan of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force cartoon, then this movie is probrobly not for you, but if you are a fan of the show I definately recommend going to see it.

The episode could have been better and I wish Meatwad would have been more involved. Im not saying he wasnt involved but, he doesnt get as much time as the others in the episode it seems and Meatwad is my favorite charachter so I was a bit disapointed.

All in all I give this movie a 7/10.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: