Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Wiis at Best Buy tomorrow
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well if non-gamers are looking at consoles, they'd certainly be more inclined to the cheaper Nintendo Wii than to the 360 or PS3.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

or if they want to be able to play retro nintendo games they would go with a wii. but ya the price also comes into effect. look at the x-box 360, the price hasn't gone down in almost two years :roll:

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well I also personally think retro games download is a rip off since most good ones can be played in many ways for free or very cheap (the sega genesis collection was very good and you can find it under $10 for like 2 dozen games) so unless they add something really cool to the games like online play, achievement points for the 360, or it has personal meanings, there are certainly better ways to play them than paying $5-15 per download.

the funny thing about price is that of all 3 systems you'd think it would be the easiest for the wii to have a price cut than any of the others. Microsoft was losing $120 per system at 360 launch so now it should still be around a $50 or so hardware cost hit per system (though with how many games the 360 already have, that doesn't matter at all anymore), Sony's already losing a crap load at the current PS3 price and a price cut before the end of the year is very likely just for them to get more competitive, while it seems pretty obvious that if a PS2 cost $130 there is no way in hell a wii cost $120 more to produce.

So if they really wanted it, nintendo can catch up to microsoft in a hurry by the next holiday season in terms of number of systems sold if they cut the wii price by $30-50, which would harm them a lot less financially than the other 2 companies if they were to cut prices by that much.

I'm pretty sure they are not going to do that so soon, but if nintendo really believes this: "we will change how games are played..." thing they been saying since the wii was first introduced, becoming the leader of the market even just for a little while should help. Cause the wii is what it is hardware wise, if nintendo really think game makers can take advantage of it's controls to make this new way of "playing" the main attraction instead of graphics and power, then they better make sure as many consumers as possible gets this message through owning the system.

But so far, nintendo's better off just keeping the system hot for as long as possible and gain buyers that way, cause their concept of wii's gameplay ruling over all else is not very convincing based on their current products.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
(the sega genesis collection was very good and you can find it under $10 for like 2 dozen games)

only thing i found good about that game was just for sonic. other than that i got bored of it quickly.

Quote:
So if they really wanted it, nintendo can catch up to microsoft in a hurry by the next holiday season in terms of number of systems sold if they cut the wii price by $30-50, which would harm them a lot less financially than the other 2 companies if they were to cut prices by that much.

isn't that what happened with the gamecube? when they cut their prices they got more sales than the x-box and ps2.

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nintendo is only likely to lower their prices if Microsoft and Sony reduce theirs to an extent of being a threat to the Wii. At the moment, I don't think Microsoft or Sony are willing to do that.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

since microsoft hasn't dropped their prices for the 360 in almost two years, i doubt they will any time soon, especially since halo 3 is gonna be out in either september or around holiday season like the last two.

Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
I get the feeling Nintendo is just supressing the amount of Wii everywhere just to make it seem like they're selling better than they are, and it's working - very well.

Why would they? I've heard peoplle say that but I still don't see why they would. What business sense does it make to pull your units from the shelves when:

A) They are selling like hotcakes. I have never even seen a Wii in a store. And they selling like hotcakes in every single region, I think, which is incredible.

B) They have a great advantage right now in their price point: the graphics don't look dated yet, and the other two consoles are still so expensive the difference between them is quite large. Yes, the unique control system is a selling point, but it's a lot easier sell when there's such a big gap. In a few years, the Wii will look a bit more dated, and be a harder sell.

jrrs wrote:

But so far, nintendo's better off just keeping the system hot for as long as possible and gain buyers that way, cause their concept of wii's gameplay ruling over all else is not very convincing based on their current products.

To you perhaps, but the market does seem to be saying something different. I don't think I've ever seen a console bring in so many people so fast before. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it does seem to be speaking for over 6 million people at this point.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
I get the feeling Nintendo is just supressing the amount of Wii everywhere just to make it seem like they're selling better than they are, and it's working - very well.

Why would they? I've heard peoplle say that but I still don't see why they would. What business sense does it make to pull your units from the shelves when:

A) They are selling like hotcakes. I have never even seen a Wii in a store. And they selling like hotcakes in every single region, I think, which is incredible.

They're selling like hotcakes because people think they're selling like hotcakes! People want products that are hard to get and are recommended to them by word of mouth or trying a friend's or family member's for themselves. It is actually a marketing technique when supply is supressed just in short of demand to make people buy them as soon as they come in and make demand grow even more. This gives an illusion of more product and brand popularity.

Sophita wrote:
B) They have a great advantage right now in their price point: the graphics don't look dated yet, and the other two consoles are still so expensive the difference between them is quite large. Yes, the unique control system is a selling point, but it's a lot easier sell when there's such a big gap. In a few years, the Wii will look a bit more dated, and be a harder sell.

Yes and Nintendo is playing to the Wii's strengths by making it seem as if they are in demand more than they actually are, this is sustaining Nintendo's sales.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Evidence, Hayashi, evidence. Is there any?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course not, it is my opinion of the situation, my opinions never have research or care put into them!
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

To you perhaps, but the market does seem to be saying something different. I don't think I've ever seen a console bring in so many people so fast before. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it does seem to be speaking for over 6 million people at this point.

well just because nintendo are getting kids and people who are dumb enough to follow the hype to buy the wii on top of their fans, doesn't mean their products are great or better than others.

I don't think there's too much wrong with the wii for what it is, and nintendo is enjoying a hell of a good start for sure, that alone should set the system up for an as good or better life span as the gamecube. But to knowledgeable buyers or not, their promise of gameplay that'll make you forget about the games and graphics of the PS3 and 360 that the wii will never have is not going to happen based on how most of their games are being made.

I think it's good for nintendo that the wii is so hot after the gamecube didn't get the attention it should have, but it'll be pretty lame if their major in home consol ends up like the DS when it comes to game releases. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of good DS games but due to it's hardware limitations most 3rd party games and multiplatform ports sucks on it, so you'd have to wait for the major japanese releases once or twice every few month to find anything good. That's cool for a handheld system but it would suck for a living room consol, yet so far that's what the wii is like. I hope they can somehow fix that but I don't see how nintendo can ask 3rd party developers to work so differently on their games while doing a good job, when they can spend time making games for the other 2 consoles and port it for twice the money.
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is what effect Nintendo's sales have made on me. I am curious about the controlls, so much so that i would want to play one, but Im too afraid they will not deliver, that I will not buy a wii. On the other hand The ps3 and xbox 360 are the same old thing. So the new controll is very effective for getting the people with enough money to go buy them. I can only buy one consol so i am forced to be more picky. What they have done further is make the price of a wii comparitively dirt cheap. It is only $50 more than a ps2 used to be when it was a hot buy. In addition Nintendo said they would not sell any wii games they made for more than $50. This act IMO makes them look really nice and makes me look at them in a good light, where as the price of a ps3 fully stocked makes it look like Sony is playing to an audiance of higher status. From there you can buy one with out some things, but they make sure you know what you are missing out on, so I (if not everyone) feel like I need to buy the expensive one. The games are more too $60, and kits to make games I heard are wayyy more expansive than the other company's kits.

Consumers buy things from beautiful people, smart people. and from nice people. All the consols have a good image, there all new and sleek, they are all the top of the line, but Nintendo to me looks the nice/kindist. If I didnt know better than to think about it, like everyone in here is doing, personally I would have went for the wii right away.

*edited spelling a bit
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: