Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How hard is it to give an old character a leading role?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: How hard is it to give an old character a leading role? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I´m very impressed which role Georg Prime plays in the game Suikoden V.
Just one of characters in Suikoden II who didn´t had a important role in the game, I only acknowledged his fighting skills.
But what they did to him in Suikoden V was really good, he wasn´t always in your team, but somehow you always felt that he was there watching your back, I really fell in love with his character in that game
To get to the point: We are all wondering which familiar faces we´ll see in the next Suikoden, but I specifically wonder which familiar character will have a big role. And I also think that with that increase of importance the character will have a big chance in persona and charisma.
Georg was just an old mysterious dude in II but in V he was like a cool caring big brother or even father for the prince or whatever, despite all time differences between the games.
Another thing I´m wondering about is when do the creators decide what´ll become of specific characters, do you think they had already planed in II that he will appear in another game and that we will see what happened before all that? (And why didn´t he appeared in I but on certain pictures as general in Scarlet Moon?)

Well I hope you guys have at least a small clue about the fuss I´m talking about. :D
Rezard

215744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I alwalys felt they made SV in falena because of George, that SV was made to tell us how George killed the queen, which we already knew because of Richmond in SII. I think they choose the time and place for the game based on George.

I think it is good to have a game tell a particular side history of one of the characters, like they did with George. I still want to see a Suikoden Game that focus in Crowley and the mysteries involved in his death/ressurection.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The same concept applies to Luc, hes an "old" character and they put him in Suikoden III as the primary antagonist of the game. If theres not a better example of re-using a character from a previous game in such a unique way, I don't know of it.
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Basically, though, how well reusing an old character will work depends on whether or not there's any good reason said character could be important again, given what's already known of the character from previous games. Georg Prime was reusable because he killed the Queen of Falena; there's some depth there, and you can flesh that out a bit more (which they did). Luc had the True Wind Rune, which is clearly usable as a central part of a game plot. Ted could similarly be reused because of the Soul Eater, although he's hardly a central character, and you'll find that most of the other characters who reappeared had something in their story already established that could cause them to get mixed up in the events of a future game.

Accordingly, any character with an interesting backstory established in an earlier game has some chance of being used again; characters who don't aren't as likely to reappear. I would say it's somewhat likely that there are at least some plans for who will and will not reappear, at least to the extent of establishing a reason for a character to show up again. I suppose it's possible to predict who could be next to some extent, but I can't really think of any examples right now.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't remember, was Milich in the cutscene of Lym getting crowned? Cathari mentioned he was there, and it would be interesting if he saw Georg.

It depends on where future games, if there are any, are set in time. If it's set some where near one of the existing games, then it's quite plausible we could see returning characters as more important people. Personally I'd like to see Sierra back personally. As she is the oldest living person in the Suikoden World.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
It depends on where future games, if there are any, are set in time. If it's set some where near one of the existing games, then it's quite plausible we could see returning characters as more important people. Personally I'd like to see Sierra back personally. As she is the oldest living person in the Suikoden World.

Theres also the possibilty we could see existing characters return as older versions of themselves. That'd be something I'm hugely interested to see, an old Toma or Lilly Pendragon. :P
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If there's another game set in or near Falena, around Suikoden II or III, then Toma could be back. But he went into training as a Queen's Knight Apprentice, and wouldn't have much reason to leave Falena once he becomes a full Knight.

Pilika could very well come back as well. We see her with Julia in Harmonia at the end of II.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
I can't remember, was Milich in the cutscene of Lym getting crowned? Cathari mentioned he was there, and it would be interesting if he saw Georg.

He was but we didn´t saw him in the cutscene.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

THe kids from Suikoden III could all make a comeback. Thomas, Cecile, ad the three St. Loa Knights could become important or semi-important characters in a future game, depending on what's done with them.

Also, Toma from Suikoden V could very well reappear since it was stated that he was training to become a Queen's Knight. However, I'm not sure if we'll see him again because Queen's Knights usually stay in Falena and I doubt there'll be another game based on Falena(maybe a side game like Tactics or Gaiden).

Yet another character that has a lot of potential to get a prominent role in a future installment could be Kyle, because it was stated that he went somewhere else after the game's events.

There's a lot of characters who could get main roles in future games in the Suikoden world, to tell the truth, since they make a lot of open ended stories for them.
Artificity

Ronery Puratoon

17923 Potch
0 Soldiers
750 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Characters with absolutely no official back story are just screaming to be made central figures. Rikimaru for one. Vanished mysteriously? In search for revenge? THIS IS LITERARY GOLD PPLZ. I vote for Rikimaru as the next Suikoden plot device.

Or how Shin came to be Teresa's bodyguard. I think he's from Armes, even though there isn't anything official on this but you gotta wonder how'd a guy like him get with a dame like her.

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd enjoy seeing Killey or Lorelai a more central role, but that's mostly just personal Bias. Killey could work if he was more like the Killey in Suiko II..he wasn't quite as..confrontational there? Lorelai could work too, her more prominent, barley, role in Suiko V was Kinda Nice.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally love to see more of Zweig. He's a totally different side of the Sindar Trio. Lorelai is a treasure hunter, Killey's intent is mysterious one, but he has the Crimson Bird connection, and Zweig is a scholar and researcher.

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scott wrote:
I'd enjoy seeing Killey or Lorelai a more central role, but that's mostly just personal Bias. Killey could work if he was more like the Killey in Suiko II..he wasn't quite as..confrontational there? Lorelai could work too, her more prominent, barley, role in Suiko V was Kinda Nice.

Killey definately mellows out in between Suikoden V and II, must've been all that prison time... :? Killey in Suikoden II is a much more loveable character.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, but Killey in Suikoden V doesn't try to kill you. He may have mellowed out, but he still attacks Alex. And he goes from needling things to death, to using duel clubs. Now that's the story I want to hear.

*throws a needle at someone but they dodge* "Oh Screw this!" *picks up two sticks and pummels them with them.* "MUCH better!"

SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Considering a few of the character endings in Suikoden V, I wouldn't be too shocked to see Zweig come back. He was already somewhat important in Suikoden V, of course (since he actually had some idea of how a lot of the Sindar stuff worked), but those endings also established some little extras that could possibly be fleshed out into at least a minor event in a future Suikoden. And I think it would be at least somewhat interesting to throw him back in there (I suppose Killey and Lorelai could come back as well... again...).

Of course, I'm one of those weirdos who actually use Zweig a lot, so it might follow that I'd like to see more of him. Still, they seem to have left it open with him more so than the other people who have endings saying that they go home, settle down, and never do anything significant ever again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: