Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Jumping the gun on Sairoh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Jumping the gun on Sairoh Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was going along my business as usual, buying salts as they came up in order to recruit the old trader later on. When I got to Raftfleet after the incident at Lunas with Logg and Lun, I figured I'd go talk to everyone like I usually do. I talked to Sairoh and he gave me his introductory comments and for some reason I decided to talk to him again. That's when he dropped the line about salt going up in price and asked me how would I fix it. I was a little stunned since I didn't think I could befriend him this early when I have no story reason to befriend him, but I went ahead and sold my salt anyway. Lo and behold, he befriended me right then and there.

I've gone digging on other sites and only Suikosource hints that Sairoh can be recruited super early in the game by listing him ahead of other stars. Everything else I looked at says "After the defense of Rainwall."

So is this as rare as I'm thinking it is or was I just oblivious on my first few playthroughs?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's just random - the rare kind of random, that has never happened to me personally, he is usually one of my later recruits. I'll have to try that out sometime though, sounds interesting.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's pretty sweet. I think I'll go for him early on from now on. If it worked for you, it must work. It'll still be just as rare, though, I expect. Interesting discovery.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was usually able to get him after the events, when you get Lucretia to destroy the Barrows family. After the prince gets his new frilly clothes, I've always been able to recruit him.

Interesting that it is completely random though.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hm, this doesn't present any practical value however since you cannot use him in war battles before you would "normally" be able to. I was still stuck with the same setup for the first battle as usual. At this point (when going to Raftfleet and Lordlake after meeting with Barows) is when I usually get him. Still, it's kinda neat. I guess that makes Sairoh the friendliest star.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He's the most annoying character to recruit. You got really lucky. I usually have to spend an hour or so resetting until I get the salt commod event.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ViktorFan

Shalimar

1825501 Potch
200 Soldiers
4195 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On my first playthrough I tried to recruit Sairoh too late and I was annoyed to wait longer until I could sell the salt (I missed Oboro and all the other characters you need him to recruit) so I didn't pay much attention to him any longer.

In my second playthrough I knew about the salt so I bought it very early in the game and I recruited him in Raftfleet.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bastan is the most annoying Milan.

Anyway, I got Sairoh early in my second playthrough and I was rather surprised as well, I suppose it's probably rare but it happened to me as well. I was pretty happy about it too since I hate trading as a whole.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can Bastan really easily. Never have to talk to him more than two or three times, but Sairoh is evil nasty creature of pure hate. And I can never get the salt thing to activate.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did the same thing as Sage and ViktorFan on my second playthrough knowing what I needed to do to get Sairoh. It sure helps to get access to his ability early on in the game, that's for sure.

So yeah, it's rare in first playthroughs but not after that.

Quote:
Bastan is the most annoying Milan.

Don't get me started with him. I didn't understand the "easy" procedure to recruit him and next thing you know I'm assaulting Stormfist. By then it was too late to get him. He's the reason why I witnessed Lyon's death the first time around.

Bastan, Juppo (stupid wheel) and Travis (made me play Suikoden 4 longer than I had to) are on my black list.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Don't get me started with him. I didn't understand the "easy" procedure to recruit him and next thing you know I'm assaulting Stormfist. By then it was too late to get him. He's the reason why I witnessed Lyon's death the first time around.

Wow, I really didn't know he was a problem recruit. I usually get him right after I get Sorenson. I've always got tons of paintings from the bridge.

Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jumping the gun on Sairoh Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sage wrote:

I've gone digging on other sites and only Suikosource hints that Sairoh can be recruited super early in the game by listing him ahead of other stars. Everything else I looked at says "After the defense of Rainwall."

that's mainly because the best place to sell salts is at the dwarf camp. you only need five or six to sell there, where other places you'll need more.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do you mean buy them? Otherwise, just selling six anywhere works so I have no idea what you mean then. I sell them to the guy right next to Sairoh and always get him.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The cheapest place to buy them is Raftfleet actually. Buy in Raftfleet and sell in Rainwall. You'll make the most money that way.

Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sage wrote:
Do you mean buy them? Otherwise, just selling six anywhere works so I have no idea what you mean then. I sell them to the guy right next to Sairoh and always get him.

i just did what the game book said. said buy five or six and take them to the dwarf camp since that's the place you can sell them high.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: