Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Are you a "Cheap" gamer?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you a "Cheap" gamer?
No, I'm used to buying games at full price and do very often.
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Not really, I always pay full price for the games I want.
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
If I think a game is expensive I just won't buy it, but I don't care about the price if I have the money.
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
Kind of, I tend to buy more games if they are on sale.
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Yes, unless I know I'm not wasting money I won't buy anything.
20%
 20%  [ 11 ]
(your own game buying rules)
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 53

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Are you a "Cheap" gamer? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I ask this question because I am personally a very very "cheap" or money conscious gamer(in nicer terms), I love to play games and I don't ever miss out on the ones I love like the top sports titles during each season or just good games I have interest in playing. If I really want a game I normally get it, even if it means paying full price for it first but backtrack later somehow to get the best deal possible(I use different methods to accomplish that).

I spend most of my pocket money on games but at the regular price of $50 and now $60 each, I can hardly get one game a week, there are good games coming out at a pretty fast pace and plenty that I haven't played before so I have to manage my money well to get the most out of it. For example, certain good games I would buy it as soon as I can from somewhere to play it asap, but after getting it I'd keep an eye out for the same title at a discounted price to buy it again cheaper so I can return it at the higher price or have the store price match it if possible. I would do this with the more major titles because: 1.stores like walmart or target would carry it and buying from them means a 90 days return period instead of only 30 2.major titles goes on sale more often.

I also try to push the rules some times for the best results like just last week, toys r us had all activision games on sale at buy 1 get 1 free, so I ended up buying 4 games at the price of 2. but I had no interest in playing marvel ultimate alliance again on the Wii, so I took back the 2 games that I paid for and exchanged them for titles I wanted that were not part of the sale like Wario ware and paper mario for the wii, and then traded in the 2 free games at blockbuster and got $60 in trade in credit so I could buy more stuff there at 50% off.

those are some of the less exploitive method I use to get the games I want, I know I wasn't suppose to even do most of the stuff that I try to do, but the way I see it if the employee at a store makes a mistake and they don't correct it, it's not really my fault if it just happens I benefits from it.

money's money to me, if I can conserve more of it the more games I'd get to play, so I always try to find ways to do that. Do anyone else spend their gaming funds super carefully that they'd almost take joy in the process of getting themselves as much games as possible for the smallest cost?
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am a very cheap gamer. I will almost always wait for a game to come down to at least $30 or less but I prefer it to be $20 or less. If its good though I will pay above that. For example I paid full price when each Suikoden game was released because I just love the suikoden series that much and it is definately worth the money to purchase the games. Other than that I really dont buy games unless they are really cheap.

I also look at reviews and ratings from other people about a game before I decide to buy one, I do not ust buy a game off of mere whim. My dad who also happens to be a gamer(an avid suikoden fan as a matter of fact as well) will always ask my opinion of a game he thinks looks interesting and is possibly thinkig about buying.

One thing that I really like when I purchase a game is off the amount of hours of gameplay I get out of a game is equal to the amount of money that I spent paying for the game. I guess thats kind of silly? I dont know I just feel like than I really get my monies worth and if I get more hours of gameplay out of the game than I am really a happy camper. Since I dont find much replay value in many games (excluding suikoden and the final fantasy series) those are the only games RPG games that is that I have ever replayed multiple times because they are just so great games. Other than that I will usually just turn around and sell a game after I had beat it and felt that I have done everything that I could possibly accomplish in the game.

Im curious if anyone else follow my hours of gameplay = amount of money spent rule?

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Im curious if anyone else follow my hours of gameplay = amount of money spent rule?

I don't even do that kind of math anymore cause I almost don't even pay for anything unless I know I can instantly trade it in for what I paid(which would exclude buying any game at retail price) or knowing I can work out a process to somehow get a great deal of my money back later on. but I do still consider it that way before I'd buy anything that would even cause me the trouble of having to work out an extensive process just to pay the price that's acceptable to me, though unless the price ends up low enough for me I'd be very disappointed if I ended up spending a limited time playing a game, which used to happens to me way to often.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The last game this happened to me where I felt like I did not get my moneys worth at all was when I bought the game Castlevania lament of innocence. I bought it for like $25 if I remember correctly. The last castlevania game I played before this one was Castlevania Symphony of the night which is my favorite castlevania of all time and I got a lot of gameplay out of that so I had high hopes for lament of innocence.

I was very dissapointed with it. I only got about 9 hours of gameplay out of it and payed $25 for it and when I traded it in I got less than half my money back. Very dissapointing indeed...almost made me not buy castlevania curse of darkness but I went ahead and did already(which reminds me that I have yet to play that game.

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Not really, I always pay full price for the games I want.

Which is usually the latest RPG. I tend not to play many other genres so i might pick something up on sale then if i like it.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have my own set of rules. I usually surf around the web looking for the best price on a game. If it's a brand new game that I've been waiting for for quite awhile (Such as Suikoden V) I'll pay the extra bit, and pre-order it. So I know I'll have it. If not, and it's a game I think looks interesting, and has been out for awhile, I tend to buy wholesale, which is like 10-15 dollars cheaper.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I buy a lot of games on ebay and such, or I buy them new. If I really, REALLY want a game that just came out, I'd pay full price. But, I don't really care what price I get it at, unless it's an AWESOME deal. I just prefer to get things online because I'm too lazy to look for it in a store.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There hasn't been many games that I've deemed worth buying lately, so to be honest you could class me as a cheap gamer if you want, my view of it is that there are only a few titles left worth investing in.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Usually there are only a few game series I tend to buy right when they're released (like Suikoden .hack etc) . They are usually games that I'm a really big fan of though and they'd haunt me to no end if they were not in my hands.

Other such games I would buy immediately when they come out is if there were any interesting pre-order bonuses included with the game....however this group usually overlaps with the above mentioned group of games in that I KNOW it is going to be a game I like.

Last group of games is games that are released with a decent bonus on release day. Of course the bonus has to be something decent and something that I will actually use down the line usually and I am interested in the game as well.

If the game I want to buy in question does not fall under any of the above, I usually try to wait for the price to go down---I can't play a game immediately after I buy it around 7/12ths of the year anyhow...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I Chose, If I think a game is expensive I just won't buy it, but I don't care about the price if I have the money.

I usually buy games for around 20 dollars.
But if it's a new suikoden game i'll buy it even if it' 40 dollars.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if i can get a game that i want cheap, hell i'm gonna get it cheap/used. as long as it works i have no problem with buying games used. if they don't have it used and it's a newly released game i don't have a problem with paying full price either.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I very rarely buy new or expensive used. Suikoden V is the only game in recent memory that I bought new and relatively close to the release date. It also helps that I usually don't see too many games around that interest me and that I have time to play. I don't much buy on impulse either, with the possible exception of Gamestop/EB's sales; I generally have some knowledge of a game I want to buy besides what's printed on the back of the box, or what the clerks say. I also make use of a discount card, which does end up paying off for me. (Last year, I saved a lot more than the cost on games I was going to buy anyway; this year, I'm a little over halfway to recouping the money I spent on it at about a third of the way through the card's period, again without going out of my way to buy more stuff).

I suppose you could call me cheap, since I usually only buy games that I know I'll like, and almost always buy them used, well after they've been released. Still, at that rate, I've accumulated quite a few games (I'm not in the habit of selling or trading in) at a not too high cost, pretty much because I buy around $20 or less most times (With 10% off, tax is more than canceled out), then add in the discount. I've been buying less and less, though, since like most of us, I'm just running short on time to play.
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm usually pretty picky with what games I buy. If I'm not sure about a game, I'll usually check out reviews previous to buying it, not as much for the review scores but to glean some impressions in amongst the cries of "the graphics suxorz" and "FF pwnz this". After this long buying stuff and hitting reviews, I tend to have a decent impression of what the slant is at most online review sites depending on the genre. Some things I'll wait until they hit a budget title status (like I waited a while before buying Xenosaga II) if I'm not positive about them.

My game playing tendencies goes in streaks, so if sometimes there are more games coming out that and may want to pay for. In which case, I just make decisions on which ones I want to buy. There are "cheap" alternatives, of course, but usually I'm OK with paying retail or sale prices for my games and I also am morally opposed to some of the "alternative" means of getting games unless there are just no other ways of getting them.
Galt

De Ruyter

1723195 Potch
0 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, considering how I havn't bought any games for years now, I'd say I'm fairly cheap. I'd walk into a store and look at games, but I always end up leaving with nothing. Nothing seems attractive to me anymore.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It all usually depends with me. If it's a game I've been waiting a long time for(like Suikoden, for example), then I'll buy it as soon as I am able to. But those games rarely come by anymore, and even then, my playtime is not what it once was.

So, in the end, I barely buy games when tey first come out anymore, except for a few(and I do mean a few) exceptions. In that ther 90% of cases, I'll purchase whatever option is available to me. And if an used copy is available, I'll most likely buy that over the new one. Also, PS2 games have gone down in price lately, so it's less of concern to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: