Suikoden United and Irrational Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NHL Playoffs 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dragonstar13 wrote:
*sighs* Unfortunately the Canucks lost, and now they have to play a lot harder then they did today. Otherwise, there will be no round 2 for them.

No one saw this coming I suppose.

Well, the same thing happened against Minnesota a few years back. Hopefully it'll turn out better for us this time around... if not, I'd rather lose in seven games to a team like the Stars than those damned Wild. Heh.

Dallas had better put on a good show, lest they face the wrath of Jennifer Floyd Engels. Now that's fire! Were she a Canucks fan instead I'd be knocking down her door, flowers in hand.
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually never heard of that.
lol, OMG so funny.

Yes the Canucks won today, and what an intense game it was. 1st period there was no score, but a lot of good chances. Turco just happened to be able to beat the Canucks with every chance, even with the 5 on 3. However, 2nd period, the Stars came got one past Loungo. One that I though Loungo should of had. Then later in the 2nd peroiod they got the tieing goal. Later in the 3rd period, they got the 3rd goal, by our veteran, Trevor Linden.

A lot of things went our way tonight, penalties, bounces, and luck. Not all of it was luck though. The Canucks managed to push back in the 2nd and 3rd period, and were they great at doing it.

Dallas gave a great game for the Canucks, Turco made the game hard for the Canucks, and it was fun.

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm an eastern conference guy so I only feel comfortable predicting Eastern conference.

Buffalo in five and New Jersey in Six.

Buffalo is simply too good for the rangers. Lundqvist is good but the rangers aren't facing Atlanta now, they're against a much quicker, much more driven team in Buffalo.

New Jersey can count on its defense in this series as usual. We shut down Lecav and St. Louis, we can shut down Alfredsson. Our offense can pull through and get past Emery hopefully, as he is a much a better goaltender than anyone Tampa had to offer.

Unfortunately, if Jersey goes six games with Ottawa, things are going to be nasty in the following round. Two long series in a row can destroy a team's cup dream.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Time for Round 2 predictions!

I didn't fare so well with my Round 1 predictions. I said the Senators and Rangers would fall and they're in Round 2. I did better out west, but my Stanley Cup representative Predators fell to the Sharks. So I've got to re-analyze the west and pick a new favorite to make the cup. I know who it is already, because they're my second favorite team in the NHL.

(1) Buffalo Sabres versus (6) New York Rangers

The Rangers swept the Thrashers and are on plenty of rest. They proved they're not to be under estimated. Nor will I. This first game on Wednesday will be a key game to how this series goes. I think the Sabres will win it ultimately, but if the Rangers get the early jump, its going to go a long 7. If the Sabres beat them in game 1 and demoralize the Rangers, it will be a 5 game series. The Sabres showed that they can be beaten with solid play. The game they lost against the Islanders was a prime example of how the team can be beat. If the Rangers keep pounding the puck at Miller, he'll eventually let a few through. But the Sabres are going to try their damndest to not let them do that. The Rangers were winless against Buffalo in the regular season, but 2 of them went to OT and another went to a Shootout. No shootouts in Playoff hockey for Buffalo to lean back on here.

(2) New Jersey Devils versus (4) Ottawa Senators

Oh, how I wanted the Lightning to win their series against New Jersey. But its okay, New Jersey and the Senators are a great matchup too, I suppose. I don't look forward to my Sabres facing either of these teams in round three. If I had a choice, I'd say I'd rather face the Senators since they love collapsing in the post-season. However that is not howe I see this cookie crumbling. New Jersey is a built team. Playoff built. Strong hitters, great shooters and a goalie that I think is as good as it gets. Its the second round of the playoffs so its a good time for a curtain call for Ottawa. Its been fun, not really though because I was rooting for the Penguins, see you next year Ottawa. This will be a quick collapse. 5 games.

(1) Detroit Red Wings versus (5) San Jose Sharks

I was surprised with the fervor San Jose showed in defeating the Predators. If they bring that intensity to the rink in this series, I think they can defeat the Red Wings. In fact I'm going to say they do just that. I'm going to predict the Red Wings fall to the San Jose Sharks in 6 games. If the Flames took them that far, then these Sharks can take them farther and break them. San Jose looked really good, and the Wings were bleak at times. Their final game though, they really looked amazing. I watched that game and I swear, Calgary had a few power plays and for the majority of the penalty the Red Wings kept the puck in the neutral zone or in Calgary's end. Their penalty killing was astounding. But I think the Sharks can beat them, I really do. The series goes 6 games.

(2) Anaheim Ducks versus (3) Vancouver Canucks

Hey that rhymes, Ducks vs Canucks. Vancouver is my new favorite out west. Sadly its probably not going to cpome to fruition because both San Jose and Detroit are looking better than Vancouver at the moment, but I think that winning a rough game 7 over Dallas can bring this team together and they can wipe the floor with the well rested Anaheim Ducks. This will probably be another long series for both teams. The Sedin boys will be a big influence to how Vancouver ends up after its all said and done. If they can find eachother and score more than twice this series, they'll be in a lot better shape than they were in Dallas. I'll give credit where it is due too. Roberto Luongo is the sole reason these Canucks are where they are. As great as their scoring lines are, Luongo is better. Anaheim, I never got a chance to watch. Maybe I think I caught a period back in Game 1 or 2 of their series but not enough to get a good look and analyze them. I know They're using Bryzgalov more than Giguere for some reason, but if it works, don't break it I guess. I haven't heard much from Teemu Selanne this post season. He was their best player this year, and there's a rumor going around he may be retiring after this year. Its sad because he's never won the cup. Oh well, can't have everyone win a cup. I'm seeing this going long as well, 6 or 7 games. Vancouver comes out on top.

Cydranth's Picks

Buffalo Sabres in 5
New Jersey Devils in 5

San Jose Sharks in 6
Vancouver Canucks in 7

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What do all of these images have in common? You're more likely to find them on the bottom of a milk carton instead of the score sheet once the Playoffs start. That's right... nobody knows where these players go... but we know where they're not. And that's helping their teams win.

Let's address them each individually.

1. Ilya Kovalchuk - Atlanta Thrashers
    Alright, it may seem a bit harsh, but it wouldn't be that way if he's shown anything in the multitude of International games. While it was his first time in the NHL playoffs, it was the same for a number of other players as well. Sidney Crosby put up 5, Malkin 4 and even Staal beat out this underachieving sniper.

2. Marian Hossa - Atlanta Thrashers
    This man is almost the largest choker in the world. This man put up a total of 1 point. For the amount of ice time he had, he should've at least fluked another point... but nope. This is the man that had a 100 point season, that had the media believing OTT didn't just rip the heck off this team. Yeah... Heatley has 3 more points than Hossa and is still playing. Hossa is a choker, always has been and always will be. Was Wadell sure he was the playoff experience he wanted to bring into the lockerroom?

3. Alexi Yashin - New York Islanders
    The 10 year at 100 million dollar contract man. You know how many NHL playoff points he had this year? As many as I did. That's right, this man who's making 6.6 million this year (and $26.45 over the next 4) put up as many points in the playoffs as you and I did. If Hossa is the Robin of chokers, well Mr. Yashin is Batman.

4. Marcus Naslund - Vancouver Canucks
    Oh, how the mighty sniper has fallen. Now this man can't score to save his life, or his team. This man as the captain and the main offencive force of the team was never able to get them past the first round. Enter Luongo and well... that offence still couldn't do it. It took Trevor Linden (who leads the team in points) to do it. He's had a crappy year this year, and partially last, but whatever he did in the season makes him look like an allstar compared to his disappearing act in the playoffs. With him passing over the reigns to the Sedin twins as the main offencive threat, one can only hope the Canucks are in better hands than this choker.

5. Calgary Flames
    They aren't chokers... the astute fans among you will notice one thing about that jersey. I don't know who showed up in Motown, but it sure wasn't the Flames... or maybe that was them and they hired an all-star team to fill in. Who knows... all I do know is that in one specific situation that whole team disappeared. It was like a bad twilight zone episode.

While choosing the Minny offence seems like a good idea it's not that they didn't show up. They just couldn't score on one of the best team defences in the league. While they have some very skilled forwards, they lack the offencive talent to play against another tough defencive team.

Round 2 Predictions

Buffalo vs. New York

Buffalo is the sexy pick to win the cup. They're definitely the favourte to make it out of the east, but I don't think they'll make it past the Rangers. The Rangers have the one thing that Buffalo can't handle. That is both size and grit. They have talent, so does the Rangers. I think the Rangers can take this series in 7. Buffalo just ain't equipped for a long series.

New Jersey vs. Ottawa

Jersey will be the team I will cheer for. I think they can win in 6. Brodeur got lit up pretty bad by the Lightning. Luckily the TB goalie and defence weren't all that great. I really hope the Devils get to Emery, and they contain Alfie (who looks like a smurf).

Anaheim vs. Vancouver

Vancouver got lucky. Really... I predict Anaheim is going to win the cup and to be honest, the canucks aren't getting in the way. If they thought scoring on a Zubov-less Stars team was tough, just wait until they face Pronger and Niedermeyer all day. Ducks roll in 5

Detroit vs. San Jose

Detroit rolls through. San Jose has the depth and talent to compete, solid goaltending and all that. What they lack though, and what I think will cause them to lose is that Detroit finally made it to the second round after 5 years of not. I really think they have a solid mix of young and old to go all the way. A solid D led by Lidstrom who had another Norris-esque year and to see Datsyuk finally score means this Red Wings team is very deadly. Of course their hopes hinge on the wonky groin of a 40+ year old goalie.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is unfortunate that Nusland hasn't scored much lately, but he has been doing other things right. Unlike before, he's been hitting and skating passed players. He used to be the sniper that all the Canucks depended upon, but now, now he's become more physical and can help protect some of the other players that can score. Such as the Sedins. So he changed when he came into the playoffs.

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. Naslund may not be the go-to scorer that he used to be, and his regular season performance was suspect at best, but the rest of his game has really made a resurgence in the playoffs so far. I'm more concerned about the Sedins, personally, although they silenced some of my doubts in game seven against Dallas. Only time will tell if that small success continues against the Ducks.

I seem to have been pretty spot-on in my first round predictions. As for the second round, I'll take Buffalo in five, Ottawa in seven, Vancouver in six, and San Jose in six.
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Canucks lost today, which most people probably predicted. There is still some hope the Canucks can come back in series, they just need to think of a better plan against the Ducks. Although Naslund has been playing hard, he needs to try to shoot the puck on net. Same thing with the other players. Henrick usually just passes the puck to Daniel, which is good, but he should try to get the puck on net more often.

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quite right. In fact, doing just that is what earned Henrick his goal against Dallas in game seven. The Canucks as a whole seem to hesitate a little more than they should against a goalie like Gigure. Finesse is nice for the cameras and everything, but an ugly goal jammed in during a scrum is still a goal.

All these injuries aren't helping either. Kesler won't be back, Cooke is questionable at best, Bieksa is something of a mystery, they definitely missed Salo out there last night, apparently Rypien is on the sidelines, Burrows has been in and out...
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Speaking of injuries. It appears that Elias is going to miss game one tonight. I hope Gomez and parise can pick up the slack because Elias being missing leaves a huge gap in the devils offense.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well if people can excuse the fact that I already know the results of the first games then here are my predictions, the reason I'm late is I've been away for a couple of days and I've missed everything since game 7 of the vancouver vs. dallas series. I didn't even know who won that until this morning when I came online - nhl.com is my homepage so I saw all the other results to date as well.

Here's who I'm picking, I'll even attempt number of games this time.

Buffalo sabres versus New York Rangers
Sabres in 6.

I think the Sabres are just a superior team and the Rangers are a bit of a one line team in terms of offence, alright maybe that's harsh because Avery and Shanahan have been good and they do have a really good goalie too but the Sabres have a ton of depth to their team that is going to make them damn hard to beat. The Rangers will make a close affair of it and pull out a couple of games but the Sabres will come through I think.

New Jersey Devils versus Ottawa Senators
Devils in 7.

Hard to call since Brodeur has really been off and on lately, Emery had poor stats until his shutout against the 'Burgh too though. Jersey showed they can score on the Sens and if Brodeur gets back on his game through this series I think they can win it but they'll struggle. This is the tie I'm least confident about calling though since Ottawa have been playing well too but that was against 13 playoff rookies on Pittsburgh not the more veteran and experienced Devils.

Anaheim Ducks versus Vancouver Canucks
Anaheim Ducks in 5.

The Ducks looked so good in the first round beating the Wild (who I picked to win) that I can't overlook the quality they have anymore, they're a top notch team and have been through the playoffs before to the finals not too look ago in memory. They have a really good defence with Pronger and Niedermayer and some slightly underrated complimentary forwards after their first line weapons, Selanne and McDonald.

Detroit Red Wings versus San Jose Sharks
San Jose Sharks in 5.

The Sharks are better than the Wings, I think the Wings got so many points partly because of their easier Central Division schedule compared to some of the other teams, in the Pacific and Northwest. The Sharks made good moves coming into the playoffs and have a lot of depth, the Wings didn't quite choke themselves out of the first round but they tried to whenever they stepped foot outside the Joe Louis arena and into the Saddledome.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Round 2 went as expected for the most part. Brodeur still looked crappy and they were beat. Really thought the Rangers could've won. Buffalo was just such a better team that it didn't even matter. They tried when they needed to and that was enough.

Buffalo vs. Ottawa

Rematch of last years and be sure that Ottawa wants revenge. Unlike the previous two rounds, I feel that Buffalo has a great chance to beat Ottawa. I have a vested interest in this series so I won't try to pass off my hatred of the Sens as any kind of analysis. Sens suck, Sabres rule; Sabres win in 6.

Detroit vs. Anaheim

Detroit stands no chance against this team. Anaheim has everything, and I mean everything that a playoff team needs. They have the veteran presence, the young kids, the quickness, hard hitting and big bodies that playoff series requires. They have a great offencive punch, probably the best defencive corp in the league and of course the goaltending needed to take on any team. They took on the best system team in the league and won easily. Next, they faced the best goaltender in the league, and still beat them. Detroit is no slouch, in fact, they're a great team this year. The battle between Pronger and Holmstom should be a great one. Watching Niedermeyer skate with Dats and Zets should be great. We shouldn't forget that Babcock was the old Ducks coach and knows a lot about the young guys that are on that team. The top 3 defencemen in the NHL are playing in this series. I'll take the Ducks in 6 in what should be a great series.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I did terrible on my second round picks. Only my prediction of Buffalo coming out over the Rangers was correct, and that was purely because they're my team. I hope I do better this time around.

(1) Buffalo Sabres versus (4) Ottawa Senators

Well, its a no brainer for who I'm going to pick here. But even if I wasn't a huge Sabres fan, I'd still pick them to win. However, I think its appropriate that the Sabres face the Senators. Really, aside from maybe the Maple Leafs, the Sabres fans don't hate any other team more than Ottawa. And some even put the Sens above the Leafs. This will be one hell of a great series, even if its lopsided. The confrontaion between these teams is deep. Earlier this year these teams got into a huge fight over some dirty hits on the ice. I'm willing to wager that the hatred between these teams boils up even further this series. I'm going to be watching these teams carefully in each game. I think Buffalo has the edge with a better scoring core. Ray Emery better be on his best game because the Sabres will be firing them fast and furious. The Sabres, and us fans, felt the sting of losing in the conference finals last year, and that left a bad taste in our mouths. Ottawa has played very well, but I think the Sabres have the edge on all fronts. They have the speed, the ability and the better goalie. There's no reason Buffalo can't take this series. I'll give Ottawa a game, maybe two, but Buffalo will advance to the finals.

(1) Detroit Red Wings versus (2) Anaheim Ducks

This is going to be a great match-up. Anaheim is in the same position as Buffalo. They were runner's up last year in their conference. Anaheim has since returned with a fiery passion that looks unextiguishable. But standing in their way is the 1 seed. The Red Wings have had their skeptics all throughout the playoffs. They're like the Senators of the West. They make the playoffs but choke. Histprically though, the Red Wings are far better than the Senators. At least the Red Wings win a cup here and there. Anyhow, as much as these two teams mirror the Eastern Conference match-up, I'm willing to say the victor won't. The Ducks are like the Sabres in that they're returning to the Conference Finals the year after they lost there. However I'm going to say they feel the sting of defeat yet again. The Red Wings are playing at the level of their opponents. They have shown resiliance and the ability to shut down the opposition's power play. They have one of the game's greatest goalies of all time and something tells me they're going to be able to break Anaheim down. People blamed San Jose for getting weak against the Red Wings. I put that on the Red Wing's shoulders. They shut down the Sharks and crushed their morale. I bet against the Red Wings last time and failed, I'm going to side with them this time. Its going to be a long series though. Anaheim won't just flop like the Sharks did. It goes the full 7.

Cydranth's Picks

Buffalo in 5
Detroit in 7

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I only got a split on my predictions overall but the two I did get right I got the game totals spot on as well, I take comfort in that fact. I think this makes me 8-4 overall for the playoffs, 6-2 in round one, 2-2 in round two and now for the round three predictions.

I don't really feel like going in depth at the moment so maybe I'll explain my thoughts fully later but I'm picking:

Ducks in 6.
Senators in 7.

I'd apologise Blasphemy but picking the Devils last time didn't lead to them going out so maybe picking them to win instead will trigger their 'choke' mechanism in the conference final. It could happen.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd post my own predictions, but it seems as if Exile did it for me. Glad I'm not the only one pulling for the Sens. This could be their year, I've got that feeling. As for the Ducks, they'd better do well after taking down my Canucks, or I'll be just that much more annoyed by them in general. Also, I rather dislike the Wings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: