Suikoden United and Informational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NHL Playoffs 2007
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: NHL Playoffs 2007 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

NHL Playoffs 2007

Eastern Conference

(1) Buffalo Sabres versus (8) New York Islanders

The New york Islanders pressed on into the post season thanks to the shootout win on the last day of the season against the New Jersey Devils and at the expense of the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Islanders acquisition of Ryan Smyth is now vastly justified but he'll be looked to now in hopes that he continues to play well and propel the Islanders forward. The Sabres boast incredible depth up front with a load of thirty goal scorers and Maxim Afinogenov just back recently from injury and playing well in spite, their defence certainly isn't shabby either and they are the team to beat going by the standings as they claimed the President's trophy to end the regular season off, despite a last day loss to the Philadelphia Flyers 4-3. I had to get that one in there.

(2) New Jersey Devils versus (7) Tampa Bay Lightning

Brodeur goes against Marc Denis and Johan Holmquist and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a little bit uncertain about the latter tandem of goaltenders here. The Lightning though are still a dangerous opponent with the Rocket Richard winner Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis lining up on their top line, aside from him they have Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards and several other players whom were parts of their recent cup winning team, Fedotenko always seems to be one to come up with a clutch goal when it's needed too and clutch scoring will likely be needed against the Devils. The Devils are a little further removed from their last Stanley Cup victory than the Lightning but still plenty of their team can lay claim to a ring and the team are perrenial contenders so they've been through it all before. Their tight defensive system can grind out tight wins when needed and they always seem built for the playoffs. Lou Lamorello controversially has taken over the coaching reins once again, now we can see if that was the right decision.

(3) Atlanta Thrashers versus (6) New York Rangers

Welcome to the playoffs, Atlanta! A rather untested side go up against some chronic underachievers in the Rangers, of the two teams goaltending certainly favours the Rangers as Lunquist has been putting up fantastic numbers for months now and the Rangers have gotten more stingy in defence of late. Their primary offensive threat is the Straka, Nylander, Jagr line but shutting them down isn't the only task the Thrash face as Shanahan and Avery have been putting up good numbers lately too. The Thrashers have several threats of their own to look out for, Kovalchuk has a dangerous shot and often plays large quantities of any powerplay Atlanta gets whilst Hossa has been in good form all season and scored goals in bunches. Lehtonen can be a tad inconsistent and is untested in the NHL playoffs so it remains to see how he performs under the high-pressure environment and in front of the playoff crowds at MSG too.

(4) Ottawa Senators versus (5) Pittsburgh Penguins

Everyone's eyes will be on the Art Ross winning Sidney Crosby through this first round affair and rightly so, Pittsburgh's hopes bank on him to a large extent and how he copes (or doesn't) will be a massive talking point for as long as the Pens are in the playoffs still. They have a tough match up, the Senators won the East if you remove the shootout point from the standings I believe and had a stellar second half of the season. Fleury and Emery are both pretty raw goalies, though Emery has that extra element of fire in his game that could land him in trouble if he doesn't keep it in check. The Senators have some great forwards and a top notch D corps in the scheme of things I feel, they will be a hard team to beat.

Western Conference

(1) Detroit Red Wings versus (8) Calgary Flames

The Red Wings might have been better off not coming in first place if history is any indication for them, they have a bad habit of being defeated by the underdogs. Last year it was Edmonton who saw them off and sent them off to the golf courses and this year they face the Calgary Flames. Calder has played well since joining the Wings from Chicago from Philly and has added some scoring depth to their wing, Bertuzzi hasn't lit things up but the Wings must be hoping he finds some of the form that made him a key in the Luongo deal to Vancouver and not his form in Florida where he seemed largely mollified as a player and not what he once was. The Flames have Kiprusoff in net and he's a goalie that's hard to beat but Hasek has been in better form across the season for the most part, both sides boast good defences with Lidstrom an established star and Phaneuf a blossoming one. With this as 1 versus 8 the West looks dangerous and should be quite a show in the first round.

(2) Anaheim Ducks versus (7) Minnesota Wild

Backstrom has come out of nowhere (aka Finland) and had a tony the tiger end to the season (grrreat) with 3 shutouts in the last four games he played even if one of those shutouts didn't actually count as a win for him as the 0-0 game was taken in the shootout by the Flames. Minnesota have always played a strict defensive system under Jacques Lemaire and this year they have had a fair amount of success under it, Gaborik centred by Demitra has been in deadly form and Rolston's heavy shot can get the best of any tender so they have the firepower to cause damage too. The ducks on the other hand are a pretty tough team that could be just suited to the grind of playoffs, they have some real finesse up front with the likes of Selanne and McDonald but can rough things up with the best of them through players like Parros and Shawn Thornton. Their defence features two of the leagues very best in Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger who have really done good things on the back line for the Ducks this year and Giguere has been solid in net for them all season, he also has had a great playoff run that ultimately fell to the Devils and Brodeur in the final to draw experience on.

(3) Vancouver Canucks versus (6) Dallas Stars

Turco is seen as a playof underachiever to many, his regular season numbers have been good for the last few years but he's yet to step up his level of play in the post-season for the Dallas Stars to date, could this be the year he does it? That remains to be seen but the stars have some good players throughout the line up, Zubov and Boucher have produced quite well from the defence but their powerplay might need to step up from their 20th in the league standard to get past Luongo and the Canucks. Luongo has had a season worthy of Vezina consideration and I would be beyond shocked if the first two places were not occupied by Brodeur and Luongo in first and second after they reached and broke Bernie Parent's record for wins in a season. The nag on the Luongo trade at the time for some was that this was giving up a lot for a goalie who hadn't seen playoff action, well he's not at fault for that after having several stellar seasons in Florida and putting up great numbers throughout, here is Luongo's chance to silence any critics left after a good year. He'll need the Sedins to put up some points if he's going to do it though, especially considering Naslund's production has been down this season further than it was last year even.

(4) Nashville Predators versus (5) San Jose Sharks

The Predators have been pressed from second to fourth by the divisional system in the league which I don't particularly like but that's how it goes. Thornton is another one with a reputation as a playoff choker and if there was ever a season to get rid of the monkey off his back and light things up it must be this one, the Preds are tough opponents, very tough but big Joe has Cheechoo firing at the right time of year and the Sharks are deep enough for a good run, Guerin seems to have been an addition that has fit in well straight away too. Nabby seems to be their go to guy in goal right now getting the majority of starts down the stretch and playing pretty well throughout but if he falters not many can say they have a better back up than Vesa Toskala to call on. The Preds acquired Forsberg who to this point has missed 6 games to injury, they'll be looking to him to come up big now the real season has begun and Forsberg isn't one to disappoint in the playoffs usually, even in Philadelphia last year in a terrible series against the Sabres for the organisation Forsberg won two games on his own by carrying the team. This year he has support from a young D corps with great potential and some solid veterans going forward. The Preds are strong down the centre with Arnott, Legwand and Forsberg and have a good group of skilled wingers to compliment those players.

Exile's Picks

Eastern Conference

Sabres

Devils

Rangers

Senators

Western Conference

Flames

Wild

Canucks

San Jose Sharks

At least those are my picks for now.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just for anyone who's interested, TSN's Maggie the Monkey's picks were Buffalo, New Jersey, Atlanta and Pittsburgh in the East. From the west, Maggie took Detroit, Minnesota, Vancouver and Nashville. Yes, Maggie is actually a monkey. You see, Maggie using a giant wheel beat out the so called experts the past two years in these picks. So, she keeps coming back as these paid "experts" (and I use that term loosely) get beat by a monkey, literally.

On to the Picks:

Sabres vs. Islanders

The Islanders are lucky to be there. They did pick up some depth, but I have no faith in their goaltending. Buffalo would probably like to end this series quickly, but I figure the Islanders are good for a win in game 3.

Sabres win in 5

Devils vs. Tampa

Devils are the tried and true team. They have everything they need to make another run at the cup. Brodeur shows no signs of slowing down and with the forwards up front all healthy, they have enough to take down a poor goalie. Lecavalier, while proving to be among the best players this year probably won't be able to deal with a devils team that is vastly more experienced. The Tampa team that won the cup only really played a tough series in the finals, the rest of the playoffs was a cake-walk. This Devil team will be too much for the over-hyped bolts.

Devils win in 5

Thrashers vs. Rangers

Atlanta is a wild card this year. A lot of their players haven't been in the playoffs ever, and some are perenial chokers who disappear come this time of year. New York has a team that is built for the playoffs. The only weakness they have is the defence and it's lack of mobility. Especially against the Thrashers talented forwards. In the end, this series comes down to the two offences. Which offence can do the most damage and to be honest, I'll go with the Rangers to win it and completely shut down Kovalchuk.

Rangers win in 6

Senators vs. Penguins

Ottawa sucks. I have a vested interest in this series so all I'll say is I'm really looking forward to this series. I've never really liked Sidney, but man, will I be cheering him on this round.

Penguins in 7

Red Wings vs. Calgary

Calgary couldn't even win to get into the playoffs. They limped in and they're not looking all that great. Don't believe the hype, this team is vastly different then last years. Nope, it's not the players that are the big difference. Take a guess. Detroit on the otherhand have been on fire for the last half of the season. It's possible that Hasek gets off his game, but even then, this Red Wing team has the kind of support that they can fight through troubles in net.

Get out the brooms! Red Wings sweep

Ducks vs. Wild

Wild finally have goaltending this season. They have one solid line too. Good for them. It's not going to do a whole heck of a lot when all they see is Pronger or Niedermeyer. The Ducks can play the fast game to break down the Wild's trap. The Ducks have both the depth and skill to strike at any time. The wild on the other hand are a system-team with a few very talented players.

Ducks roll in 5

Vancouver vs. Dallas

Chronic chokers? You bet. What is Turco but a great regular season goalie. Until he sheds that label he'll always be one of "those" players. The Canucks bring in a goaltender inexperienced in the playoffs. He's had plenty of international experience though, so he knows about big-pressure games... or does he? Other than a few World Championships, what else has he done? This series is going to be boring if you're not a fan. Both teams lack any real offencive creativity. Naslund has looked very poor and Morrow as the captain ain't nothing to write home about. Vancouver has traditionally choked as well this time of year. A new philosophy, same result.

Dallas in 6

Nashville vs. San Jose

The battle of the two slowest centres in the game? Forsberg has looked like an old man on skates. Joe is fast, but man does he look slow. It's hard to describe. Early in the year, SJ was the sexy pick to win the cup. They solved their defence problem and they have the best goalie tandem in the league. They have two great offencive lines and a very deep defencive group. Nashville lacks the depth in both places, but they have the speed and talent to give a slower moving team like the sharks trouble. I'm going to take the underdog, even though they aren't statistically an underdog. In what should be a great series with a little bit of everything good in hockey, I think the Forsberg puts this Nashville team past the Sharks. I say the home team wins every game in this series.

Nashville eeks it out in game 7

Recap

EAST
- Buffalo Sabres win in 5 games over the New York Islanders
- New Jersey Devils win in 5 games over the Tampa Bay Lightning
- Atlanta Thrashers win in 6 games over the New York Rangers
- Pittsburgh Penguins win in 7 games over the Ottawa Senators

WEST
- Detroit Redwings win in 4 games over the Calgary Flames
- Anahiem Ducks win in 5 games over the Minnesotta Wild
- Dallas Stars win in 6 games over the Vancouver Canucks
- Nashville Predators win in 7 games over the San Jose Sharks

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The Tampa team that won the cup only really played a tough series in the finals, the rest of the playoffs was a cake-walk.

Are you purposely trying to bait me Blasphemy? Not just the Stanley cup finals but at least the Eastern Conference Finals were tough as well, Philadelphia Flyers versus Tampa Bay Lightning. We took them to 7 on the back on Keith Primeau's awesome playoff performance, I'm certain I would count that as a tough series as well as the final series. They only beat us by one goal in game 7 as well!

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exile wrote:
Quote:
The Tampa team that won the cup only really played a tough series in the finals, the rest of the playoffs was a cake-walk.

Are you purposely trying to bait me Blasphemy? Not just the Stanley cup finals but at least the Eastern Conference Finals were tough as well, Philadelphia Flyers versus Tampa Bay Lightning. We took them to 7 on the back on Keith Primeau's awesome playoff performance, I'm certain I would count that as a tough series as well as the final series. They only beat us by one goal in game 7 as well!

Hook line and sinker :P j/k. That philly team was beat up. So beat up that they didn't deserve to win that series at all. I will respect Primeau and his herculean effort to win that series, but if you judge how the rest of the team played, they didn't deserve to be there. They were way to beat up and way too tired after a very tough road to the conference final. If Philly were healthy, were they to play the dolts in the 1st round, you guys would've stomped them.

It's not a dig on Philly. Quite the opposite. I think the Bolts should've taken that in 5 but due to Prim's amazing playoffs, and philly never giving up, they took it to 7. If you guys were healthy, I'd take you guys to close it out in 5.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They were beat up and had Kapanen playing a regular shift on defence because we were down a couple of guys but to say the rest of the team didn't deserve to be there is a bit of an injustice to the effort I feel. Primeau was the standout by far but others were important too, Roenick was clutch in the run up to that game and he was playing injured as well, I do believe it was him who put us through to the Eastern Conference Finals on an overtime goal in the series before that, nice goal that was I recall.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exile wrote:
I do believe it was him who put us through to the Eastern Conference Finals on an overtime goal in the series before that, nice goal that was I recall.

Muahahahhahah :P

Yeah, KJ was out. Desjardin broke his arm playing with his kid and That dude that scored that goal was concussed by a hit from Tucker. Really, your whole team was beat up.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You all know who I'm pulling for. I see no reason why Luongo won't excel in the post-season considering how well he performed at the World Juniors, the Olympics, and so forth, regardless of who was playing for him up-front. I just can't see Turco standing up to that, although it's certainly possible... if the Stars fall again in the first round, Dallas is in for a house cleaning, and Turco could be the first to go in such a situation. That'll light a fire under your feet, I'm sure.

As for the rest... the Sabres are all but a lock, so I don't see that series lasting more than five games. Ditto for the Devils, although in that case Tampa Bay's top line could help extend the series to six if their goaltending isn't completely full of holes. I don't see the Thrashers getting past the Rangers; take New York in six at most. The Penguins are much-hyped right now, but as I'm writing this, Ottawa is rolling right over them. Experience vs. Youth, I suppose; still, this will likely go seven games. I'll take the Sens.

Out west, I doubt the Wings will falter in the first round again, and certainly not against Calgary. Wings in five, maybe six. Anaheim/Minnesota is harder to read, but I'm just not convinced that the Wild are ready to move up. Go with the Ducks there. You know where I'm at regarding Vancouver/Dallas. San Jose and Nashville could also be close, but I'll lean slightly towards San Jose at around about seven games.

That's how I see it.
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why am I still awake...it's 8 am and 4th overtime is about to begin in the Vancouver Dallas game. I'd be more tired but I fell asleep through the second and third OT periods, I'm back in for the fourth but who knows how long I'll last before falling asleep again. Someone needs to finish this!

Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eastern Conference

I’m jealous of the Sabers. Their team is extremely deep this year. Not only that, but they’re running with a good streak of momentum to boot. People say they are the favorites, and I may have to agree. Sabers should win this series easily.

This is Martin Brodeur’s time to shine, and he will just like always. I’ll always pick goaltending over any stat. New Jersey is a safe pick thanks to Brodeur. Like Buffalo they are a very deep team. Devils will take this series somewhat easily.

Good job Atlanta for making it. The Eastern Conference is no easy mark, so they must be very proud of themselves.

This is a matchup of the Thrashers offense vs. Ranger Defense. But in this match (where the goaltenders are more or less even) I’ll go for the Thrashers. I just have more confidence in their ability to move the puck and get their shots off. The Rangers have been making noise lately, but I don’t know if they can sustain their momentum. Atlanta will win this series.

Ottawa is up by one game as we speak, but I don’t know if they can stop Sidney Crosby and Malkin from doing their damage. Crosby negates my Canadian bias. Although, I have to say that these two teams are about as even as it gets. Whoever gets hot first will take it in the end. I think the Penguins will hit their stride and eventually win this series.

Western Conference

I never underestimate a team from Canada. I still think that the Red Wings will win this series, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they lost to Calgary. Calgary will make the Red Wings work for points and they may scrape out a series win if Detroit doesn’t take them seriously. Calgary is the team to watch, though. No one is giving them much of a chance, and that usually serves up some good motivation.

These two teams are all about defense. This may not get that exciting to watch in terms of points, but you’ll see some miraculous saves when all is said and done. My Ducks are up one game after that thriller today, and I expect more low scoring games from both clubs. But as my hometown team, I’ll go with Anaheim regardless. Both teams have great goaltending and defensive lines but the Ducks have experience.

Hot damn, is this game still going on? Quadruple overtime? I’ve never even seen that happen in professional sports (in my lifetime anyway).

I don’t know much about both teams, but I’ll go with Vancouver just because they’re from Canada.

I don’t know what it is about Nashville in the Playoffs, but you just can’t trust them. San Jose beat them last year, and now they get to face each other again. There won’t be too many surprises now that they faced each other before, but I like the Sharks’ defense more than Nashville.

Ced's Picks

Eastern Conference

Sabres

Devils

Thrashers

Penguins

Western Conference

Red Wings

Ducks

Canucks

San Jose Sharks

Gooooo Ducks!!!!

Isssssssland!

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exile wrote:
Why am I still awake...it's 8 am and 4th overtime is about to begin in the Vancouver Dallas game. I'd be more tired but I fell asleep through the second and third OT periods, I'm back in for the fourth but who knows how long I'll last before falling asleep again. Someone needs to finish this!

Oh man, what a game. And what a way to start the playoffs! Considering all the predictions of very very close one-goal games from the media types, can you imagine if this happens again? The team which loses the series would be the lucky ones. Cooke and Burrows are already questionable for Game 2, and maybe Bieksa as well... this'll be a war of attrition.

Cedric wrote:
Hot damn, is this game still going on? Quadruple overtime? I’ve never even seen that happen in professional sports (in my lifetime anyway).

According to the font of all information which is Wikipedia, tonight's game ranked #6 overall for longest NHL games. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't mind seeing a repeat of this spectacle, as it was entertaining as hell. Extremely tense, such a rush when Henrik finally scored the winning goal. And the CBC guys really made the extended time worth sitting through with some great commentary. Funny stuff, too; the Beeramid spotlight had me rolling.
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First, that the Leafs didn't make it sucks, but they actually have a solid core of young guys (Stajan, Steen, White, Wellwood and Colaiacovo) as well as some guys who seriously stepped it up this year (Ponikarovsky, Pohl and Antropov) and a top flight goalie prospect (Justin Pogge, who will end up better than Rask) makes me feel well for the future. They need another Sundin-caliber forward and to make some moves on defense, but I think that they can be a good team within 4-5 years.

Second, I will never root for the Sens, who even if they win the Cup can't say that they did it beating the Leafs.

This one isn't even going to be close. Big props to the Islanders and Dubie on tearing up the last few games to oust the Leafs, but this Buffalo team is just too deep. They have enough good forwards to be able to have three scoring lines, a quick, mobile defense and an all-world goalie in Ryan Miller. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Sabres in 5. Buffalo is my pick to emerge from the East.

A much closer bet, but still there's a favorite here. Say what you want about Tampa winning the cup; fact is that in 2003-04 that during the regular season they ended up facing a lot of backup goaltending, in addition to being in the Southeast; paradoxically the weakest division in the East, but the provider of the last two cup winners. They have a lot of weapons up front, but the trapping, safe ways of the Devils (in addition to the best goalie in the East, especially compared to Tampa's two unprovens) should prevail in the tight-checking playoffs. Devils in 7.

For some reason, this matchup seems strange, but they're two very similar teams with similar strengths (quick mobile forwards and strong play down low) and weaknesses (inconsistency, average defense). This one will come down the the goalies, and with the rest of you I agree that Lundqvist gives the Rangers the edge. However, like Kari Lehtonen, he's unproven in the playoffs, so its a tossup. The Rangers have Jagr and Shanny, but the Thrashers have Hossa, Kovalchuk, Tkachuk and one of the only guys capable of shutting down Jagr; Bobby Holik. If the goaltending becomes irrelevant or too close to call (which I believe will be the case), then I give this one to the Thrashers in 6 in what's probably the most evenly-matched series in the East.

The Sens are on paper probably the best team in the East and have been for years, but they choke in the playoffs. However, the Leafs are out this year (again), so maybe its a sign of good fortune. The Pens as we all know are led by a group of young future greats who score in bundles and have a few solid veteran presences in Gary Roberts and Sergei Gonchar. The tending is very even, with Fleury and Emery both having great seasons but unproven track records in the playoffs, but I think it's all in the control of the Sens. If Daniel Alfreddson can finally deliver in the playoffs and everything clicks, they could very well sweep the series, but that's a big 'if' since he's had many chances and just isn't the same player in the playoff atmosphere. I refuse to root for the suckators, but I feel that they will take the series in 7 games. Sid and the boys will have many other chances to hoist the cup, but champions always have to taste defeat first.

Sorry Flames fans, no upset this year. There are tons of intangibles, like the groin of Dominik Hasek and the past playoff performance of Pavel Datsyuk, but straight up and down, Detroit is better in all areas of the game. If, however, Kiprusoff can take his game to pre-lockout playoff levels again and the Flames new, scoring-based attack can work, they could upset. But they won't; Detroit, though sporting a 42 year old starting goalie and 44 year old #3 defenseman, is hungry. They've had poor performances in the past few years in the postseason, and I think this year they'll finally move past the first round again. Detroit in 6.

Say what you want about how good Teemu Selanne is; if Marian Gaborik played in every game he'd have challenged for the Richard (30 goals in 48 games pro-rates to 51 in 82). The Ducks clearly have more firepower up front in spite of this, and you can't knock a D that features two of the game's five best D men (Pronger and Neidermayer). Still though, the Wild were one of the stingiest teams in the league this year, and the playoffs are all about shutdown hockey. In what will be the biggest upset of the first round, Minnesota will take the series in 5 games.

I'm torn here. A team with a great track record and an unproven playoff goalie, or a team with a mediocre one and an unproven playoff goalie. Vancouver is much deeper on forward, with the Sedins both topping 80 points each and a shadow of the man once known as Markus Naslund. Dallas has rock solid D, but scores very little, and that they'll have to do it against Roberto Luongo (who is better than Martin Brodeur) doesn't help them. Mikey Mike (Modano) could step up and turn the tide of the series on his own, but unless that happens we could see a Vancouver steamroll. Vancouver in 5.

Show me the way to San Jose! Not to slight Nashville (or Detroit), but you want to know the reason for their inflated point totals? Because they both play Columbus, St. Louis and Chicago (three of the league's worst teams) eight times each, comprising nearly 1/3 of their entire schedule. Throw any team from the Eastern bloc into the Central and you'd have a 120 point team like nothing (even the Leafs could do it). That shit needs to be changed, because no other division has more than two bad teams (and again, the Pacific. The West blows). San Jose is a super-talented team with experience in the postseason, possibly the best set-up man and sniper combo in Thornton/Cheechoo, a young, hungry, talented defense (huge in the playoffs) and not one but two goalies who could be starters on any of the league's teams. I give this one to San Jose in 6. San Jose is my pick to come out of the West.

Chase's Picks:

Buffalo Sabres in 5
New Jersey Devils in 7
Atlanta Thrashers in 6
Ottawa Senators in 7

Detroit Red Wings in 6
Minnesota Wild in 5
Vancouver Canucks in 5
San Jose Sharks in 6
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I'm surprised I haven't jumped all over this thread! You know, since my team is going to win the cup this year and all. No pesky Hurricanes to stop me and my Sabres now!

I'm a Buffalo fan. Sabres are my city's team. The Bills have taken their 4 time superbowl flopping rears and taken a back seat to Hockey. What was once a football town is now riding high with Hockey. I'm with Vincent Chase in my sentiments that the Leafs should have been the opponents because really, what better rival of the Sabres to face in the playoffs than Toronto? It'd be pandemonium in the area. Anyhow, it sucks that thats not happening. Buffalo has the clear advantage in like every stat. And to make matters worse, DiPietro isn't doing well so the Isles have been forced to rely on Dubil.. something Polish. Or German. Regardless, he's not as reliable as DiPietro is. Even if Ricky Di does come back, it won't make a huge impact. I'm surprised that I'm the only one seeing a sweep here.

The only team I'm worried about beating my team is the Devils. So, I'm hoping to holy heaven that Tampa wins this. But in all honsety, its not going to happen. Really. Tampa has a good team, but it doesn't have the strength in goal that New Jersey does. Plain and simple. Devils will advance to the semis.

Yeah, this is going to be good. Its Atlanta's first ever playoff appearance facving the highly playoff experienced Rangers team. But team history means nothing. The Thrashers ara a strong team with a lot of talent. I see this being a drawn out series ending in a long 6 or 7 games. I predict plenty of overtime.

If my Sabres get ousted, I want the Penguins to take the cup this year. I'll remind everyone here that Ottawa, no matter how great a year they have, crap out in the playoffs. Its in their blood. Winners do not live in Ottawa. They routinely wear those tight necklaces that emo kids wear. Yes, chokers. Ottawa might, and this is a strong might, beat the Penguins in this series. However that will be the end of their journey. But I see the Pens taking this series, I really do.

The Red Wings finished the season on one hell of a roll. In the last month they snuck behind Nashville and took the division and almost took the President's Cup. Kudos Squidmen! And because of the hot streak, they have to face the, by namesake, hottest team in hockey, the Flames. I never understood that name for an Ice Hockey team. Anyhow, The Flames aren't great, but they're not bad. The Red Wings have a lot of big players like Bertuzzi, Hasek, Dasyuk and Zetterburg. Sorry to the upset fans. Flames are being extinguished by a cephalopod loving franchise.

Both of these teams were good in the regular season. At one point I had goalies for both these teams on my fantasy team. And I thank Minnesota's Niklas Backstrom for helping me win the fantasy hockey thingie. I'm grateful. I hope the Wild win because Hockey belongs up in Minnesota. Not in Southern California. Seriously. But as far as talent goes, these teams are quite evently matched. I give the advantage to Anaheim though because I think they have a quicker line and a slightly stronger defense. J.S. Jiggy in net ain't shabby either. He was pretty good last year come playoff time if I remember well.

Finally I can see the Canuck play playoff hockey. And not lose. I'm riding the Orca wave folks. I'm liking the Canucks out west. Maybe not to be their representative in the cup finals, but to be in the West's final game I sure would love to see that. Dalls is a perpetual strong team, but this years team seems weaker than in years past. their franchise dominance has started to wane. Vancouver takes the round.

The Sharks deserve better than this. Nashville was 1 game off from being the best team in the west and because division leaders get higher ranks, they're forced to face the Second best team in the Confrence rather than the fourth. They might as wel have bombed the last week or so making them in the 7th or 6th seed to get a better opponent. Pssh. All that aside, its not like it would have mattered much because the Sharks wouldn't make ittoo far anyways. I think the team to beat in the west is Nashville. They're my pick to make the Stanley Cup Finals, dispite Detroit's best efforts.

Cydranth's Picks:

Buffalo Sabres in 4
New Jersey Devils in 6
Atlanta Thrashers in 6
Pittsburgh Penguins in 6

Detroit Red Wings in 5
Anaheim Ducks in 7
Vancouver Canucks in 5
Nashville Predators in 4

Woo! Pretty colors make me dizzy!

P.S. I know the Predators already lost one to San Jose, but that would have been my prediction had I made it before the playoffs started. I'm being fair.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was actually at Game 2 of Vancouver/Dallas. Man, those executive boxes are swank. All that free booze really helped ease the pain of an otherwise depressing 2-0 loss. Only thing worse was the $173 Skytrain fine I was slapped with on the way home, but that's another story.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That 2-0 game of VAN and DAL seemed much more like what I expected of the series. I figured at most there would only be 4 goals scored in every game, not 4 each. Vancouver's inability to score really did hurt.

You know, Buffalo is the pick to come out of the East, and the pick to win the cup. It really boils down to their health and ability to handle the physical play. Last year, they just wore down and their whole team ended up injured. Were they healthy last year, they would've won the cup. I wonder if this will become a trend, where the Sabres are unable to fight through the tougher, larger teams hitting on them and generally wearing them down.

It's interesting to me that perhaps the small-fast forwars is the way to go during the season, as Buffalo has shown. However, I wonder if in the playoffs they can handle the punishment every other night given by a tougher, more physical team. Playoff hockey is quite different than in the regular season.

Red wrote:
The Bills have taken their 4 time superbowl flopping rears and taken a back seat to Hockey. What was once a football town is now riding high with Hockey.

I find that very good to hear.

Anyway, Go Pens Go!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All I have to say so far is, Go Rangers!

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: