Suikoden Unique and Informational Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Share Recordings of Your Favorite Musicians
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Share Recordings of Your Favorite Musicians Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
This is a thread where you can introduce other people to artists, and songs that you enjoys. Be sure to add a little bit about the song or artist, and why you like it-- that way this thread will become more than a links thread, I don't want that.

First artist I want to share is a man named Neil Young, whom some of you may know. He's been around forever, and is one of my favorite musicians. Not the most talented singer, by any means, but I do love his music, and his voice has an interesting quality to it.

This is a video of his folk classic Heart of Gold. That's in 1971, back when he was still relatively young.

This song is a personal favorite of mine called Man Needs a Maid. This is another 1971 recording, which was a really active year for Neil Young.

Neil Young singing on the Johnny Cash Show about the damage Heroin has had on the music industry-- and how so many brilliant musicians were lost to the drug. The Damage Done.

This one is from his performance at Massey Hall in 1971-- of which a CD was just released of. It's an excellent recording. Old Man

This one here is a very bluntly anti-George Bush song. He's very liberal-- back in the 70s he wrote a very anti-Nixon song called "Ohio" which is a fan favorite. Let's Impeach the President! Good music video. ^^

--- I found that Ohio song, which is another politically influenced song, as I mentioned above. Ohio

Well, I hope you enjoy. ^^

The Live at Massey Hall album is great. Then again, I'm a big Neil Young fan. It's so surprising that you are too Gil :P
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Edit: That's absolutely retarded. Apparently it assigns each file a new url every time you click on it, so none of these are going to work for you guys. Oh well, I tried at least. If you want the file without registering right click, view page source, and control f "mp3" for the temporary url.

I'm posting this to accentuate retrospect's recommendations. If any of you are like me you probably want to have your own mp3s of these and not just listen to them on that site. Apparently if you're registered there's a download option, but I didn't realize that until I was half way through with this so I'm going to go ahead and post here. Here are direct links to the mp3s of all of the songs mentioned in his post in order. Enjoy:

Do Make Say Think - Bound To Be That Way
Grails - The Burden of Hope
Bardo Pond - Two Planes
Mogwai - Hunted By a Freak
Eluvium - An Accidental Memory In Case Of Death
Explosions in the Sky - Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean
Bell and Sebastien - Fiction
All India Radio - Life and How To Do It
Disparition - A Commodius Vicus of Reciculation
Discolor - Karluv Most
Machinefabriek - Wolkenkrabber
Klimek - Pathways Verbunden To Work
Boards of Canada - Turquoise Hexagon Sun
Tape - Bell Mountain
Múm - Weeping Rock Rock
Marsen Jules - Aurore
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found an amazing YUKI performance of 66db the other day. The performance is epic. This is my all-time favourite YUKI song. You know that feeling when you like a song so much, you know it by heart... even right down to the heartbeats? Ah, to have been at this performance.

There was an amazing the end of shite performance on Youtube, but they deleted it. Urgh. So here's another one. It's not that great though... I hate YUKI with short black hair, and she doesn't do the song justice in the clip.

Ahh. This is JOY during her JOY tour. I think she did a good job, and the dancers are awesome! What's even more cool is that the people in the crowd are doing the dance too! xD

Finally, even though this isn't YUKI solo, it's JUDY AND MARY, and she was vocals. A live performance of mottö. I love what YUKI does with her voice in this song. The chorus is great. Apparently the last 10 seconds are funny but I don't know...?

I'd like to share mp3s with you guys but... I don't have any!

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

New Alcest song: Souvenirs d'un autre monde

This is beautiful beyond compare and will probably be one of the greatest albums of all time upon completion.

Also, I have no idea how this is freaking possible, but some kid I've known since he was about twelve got Arjen Lucassen to do guest vocals on his upcoming album. Once he gives me the go ahead to make the track public I'll put it up for you guys. It's legit. I don't know how, but it is. One of my friends has recorded with Ayreon. o_O
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mika - Love Today

Love love me! Love love me!

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i was talking to a girl who was listening to that mika album all night earlier. weeeeeeeeeird.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought I'd post up some live recordings of The Arcade Fire. They seem like a really fun band to see live-- Win has a lot of energy, and the drummer just totally spazzes out at the end of one of the songs, pretty ridiculous. Looks like he breaks some of their equipment.

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) -- What's cool in this video, for me, is that you can see Owen Pallett, creator of the project 'Final Fantasy' in the background several times playing violin. He's the guy in my banner and avatar if you did not know.

Crown of Love -- This is probably a must listen of the album.

Neighborhood #2 (Laika) -- This is one of my favorite songs of the album. It has a very different style than they other songs, it's a pretty interesting listen.

Neighborhood #3 (Power Out) -- Their new wave inspirations are most obvious in this song, in my opinion. You can see their inspiration, especially from classic bands like The Talking Heads in this one. It's a wonderful song.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

2 Become 1

"But wait Archy, that's f'n Spice Girls!"

Christ, no. It isn't. It's by some amazing Guitar God called Paul Gilbert. You might've heard of him from Racer X. Guy who did Scarified.

I HIGHLY recommend this song. One of the best covers I've ever heard (along with Muse's version of House of the Rising Sun.)

EDIT: That video actually sucked.

Here's ANOTHER one. No women in men voice singing this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84l3AvsShwc

So yeah, anyone else know something that sounds really, REALLY familiar?

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, I'm not a big fan of youtube videos most of the time because the recording quality is always crap. I'll find a dozen promising results and they all turn out to be recorded on some kid's cell phone. Well, today we brought up the subject of metal in chat briefly and I was looking around for one of the finest black metal tracks out there, I am the Black Wizards by Emperor. Do excuse the terrible grammar - Ihsahn was probably 16 when he wrote it. This is one of the best live recordings, sound wise, that I've come across on youtube, and one of my favorite songs to boot. Check it out, especially if you've never heard any black metal before. They're the staple band of the genre, and this is one of their earliest and most groundbreaking songs:

Emperor - I am the Black Wizards

Edit: Oh yeah, does he not look identical to Leonidas at the very end?
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh hey O_O

Andy McKee - Drifting
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been pushing Alcest a lot. I figured I'd post over a quick review I'd written up of the new album, mind you you would have to actually hear some of the stuff for it to have much meaning:

Blown away as I was from the get-go, after a dozen or so listens I'm beginning to think I like Le Secret better. I'm by no means knocking the new album - it should easily take the title of best release of 2007 in my book - but I think Neige was at his most brilliant during the transition, when he wasn't quite black metal anymore but he wasn't yet this self-derived sort of shoegaze either. Elévation features vocals that could be transposed to a dreary Burzum nihilist anthem with ease, and yet in conjunction with the music they're wholly uplifting. I guess what I'm getting at is while Souvenirs is beautiful from birth, Le Secret takes something inherently depressing and destructive and molds it in to pure optimism. It gives it an element of victory, which although present on Souvenirs is not as prevalent to me.

Once again, Le Secret in its entirety and a sample off the new album:

Le Secret
Alcest - 01 - Le Secret
Alcest - 02 - Elévation

Souvenirs d'un autre monde
Alcest - 02 - Souvenirs d'un autre monde
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dock Boggs is an influential old-time banjo musician who saw a good deal of success throughout the 1920s and then quickly fell in to discourage obscurity. This song was recorded in 1929 and I think it's pretty amazing. The vocals are terrible, or at least require a hell of a lot of getting used to, but his banjo playing is pretty inspiring. My new goal in life is to learn this. :)

Dock Boggs - Sugar Baby
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those Transatlantics - Knocked Out

Blindside linked to a band in the 'What are you currently listening to?' thread that really amazed me.

The album's out of print, so I can't buy it, and I haven't been able to find it elsewhere. I've played through it twice since Blindside linked to it and I'm awfully impressed. These guys hail from Michigan and their entire full length, Knocked Out, is set to play at the bottom of their website: http://thosetransatlantics.com/

This is pretty fabulous, I thought. It reminds me of a number of different bands from track to track, but none significantly enough to feel like a ripoff. Rather, they're a grand conjunction of all good indie that proceeded them. The first track alone made me think of The Six Parts Seven, Explosions in the Sky, Of Montreal, Ben Folds Five, and Radiohead. The third track is borderline country reminiscent of the positive aspects of Lifted era Bright Eyes. Track four is solid 90s rock. In other words, almost every song sounds decidedly different. Well I have a bad habit of overhyping things I like, so just judge for yourselves. I'm in love with this:

http://thosetransatlantics.com/

What's with Scarlet Moon getting a whole ton of cool people all of a sudden? :P

Edit: Direct links available here.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you, Bub-- for mentioning this group, and inspiring me to get this album-- F# A# Infinity. Check out this video of Dead Flag Blues. The poetry in it is pretty stunning, and the music is pure genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aLjup934Rk

Watch it. ^^

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I found a fantastic Sigur Ros video. Check it out:

Glosoli

It's pretty interesting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: