Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Share Recordings of Your Favorite Musicians
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Share Recordings of Your Favorite Musicians Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a thread where you can introduce other people to artists, and songs that you enjoys. Be sure to add a little bit about the song or artist, and why you like it-- that way this thread will become more than a links thread, I don't want that.

First artist I want to share is a man named Neil Young, whom some of you may know. He's been around forever, and is one of my favorite musicians. Not the most talented singer, by any means, but I do love his music, and his voice has an interesting quality to it.

This is a video of his folk classic Heart of Gold. That's in 1971, back when he was still relatively young.

This song is a personal favorite of mine called Man Needs a Maid. This is another 1971 recording, which was a really active year for Neil Young.

Neil Young singing on the Johnny Cash Show about the damage Heroin has had on the music industry-- and how so many brilliant musicians were lost to the drug. The Damage Done.

This one is from his performance at Massey Hall in 1971-- of which a CD was just released of. It's an excellent recording. Old Man

This one here is a very bluntly anti-George Bush song. He's very liberal-- back in the 70s he wrote a very anti-Nixon song called "Ohio" which is a fan favorite. Let's Impeach the President! Good music video. ^^

--- I found that Ohio song, which is another politically influenced song, as I mentioned above. Ohio

Well, I hope you enjoy. ^^

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll limit mine to four in the hopes people actually watch them. Great thread idea by the way.

The first here is by The Decemberists, one of my favorite bands. I've had the privilege of seeing them live three times, but I never got to experience this song first hand. A lot of their tunes are epic comedies, but this really takes the cake. Enjoy The Mariner's Revenge Song.

The next two are by a very short lived act known as Neutral Milk Hotel. They only ever put out two albums, their first being a pretty low scale project where frontman Jeff Mangum was still getting his feet wet in the studio. It was a success by all means, but nothing starring. Their second on the other hand, 1998's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, is credited by many music critics, myself included, as one of if not the single greatest album of the last decade. Jeff's lyrics are dreamy allegories so vague they seem to speak of nothing and everything at once, but when analyzed in detail prove to be some of the most expressive heartfelt words ever put to paper. Take what you hear at face value - Jeff wears his heart on his sleeve every time he performs - but realize that behind it lies something deep and beautiful without the slightest sense of pretentiousness. Here are the best two videos I could find. They're hard to come by since the group hasn't performed in nearly a decade:
Ghost
The King of Carrot Flowers Pts. 2 and 3

Last and maybe least, but still great, is a performance by Isis. Oceanic happens to make my top ten albums of all time list on a consistent basis, and this is a song off of one of them. It's hard for a video to capture the true atmosphere of their performance, but this one does a better job than the others I saw. From Sinking
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I doubt many have heard about this Scottish band yet but they've just recorded their fourth album and first one that's on a major record label so maybe they'll start making their way into the loftier heights of the music scene now. They are called Biffy Clyro and here can be found a live session and interview on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio1_aod.shtml?radio1/murray_biffy
Link is dead by now I think.

It's available until next Thursday as they only keep the session up for a week until the next one takes place but if you're so inclined check them out and hopefully you won't be disappointed you did. It goes into a song pretty quick so don't be put off by the DJ yapping at the start.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Last edited by Exile on Tue May 22, 2007 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's a few live (and one not live) videos of a cool guy named Sufjan Stevens. His music has folk and minimalist influences, which is pretty evident by listening to it. The lyrics are often very beautiful, invoking religious, or life experiences.

This one is a homemade music video for his song Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland. If you watch any of these video, check this one out. I just love the sound of his music. It's just a beautiful song.

Here's one of my favorite of his songs-- which was the theme to his last tour. Majesty Snowbird.

This one is called Abraham, and I want to share it just because I think the music he wrote for it is gorgeous.

This is one of his best written songs The Predatory Wasp Of the Palisades. It doesn't quite convey as well because of the poor sound quality due to the fact that it's a live video. But the lyrics are still beautiful.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deadly Assassin

289976 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My current all-time favorite band is the Japanese rock group The Pillows. Though not particularly famous outside of Japan, they still have a strong following throughout the world thanks to the introduction of their music to American and Europe though the popular Anime Fooly Cooly (FLCL). This is how I heard of them and I've been a fan ever since. Most of their songs use a hybrid of English and Japanese with a unique alternative/punk rock style. The Pillows have been a band since 1989 and currently have fifteen albums.

This is Carnival, one of my favorite songs by The Pillows with one of the best Solos I have ever heard.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WChuOm9kaIE

Chief of Hot and Steamy Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Mitsuba + Godwin Avatars Unite- Sports
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Same band again, them being Biffy Clyro, but here's a decent copy of their latest video and current single 'Living is a problem because everything dies'. The video is a bit full of slow motion and water effects for my liking - I suppose it's all supposed to be dramatic - but I've listened to the song quite a bit now (mostly with another browser window open instead of actually watching the video itself) and I still love the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsSqFMNAf2o

Last edited by Exile on Fri May 04, 2007 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exile wrote:
Same band again, them being Biffy Clyro, but here's a decent copy of their latest video and current single 'Living is a problem because everything dies'. The video is a bit full of slow motion and water effects for my liking - I suppose it's all supposed to be dramatic - but I've listened to the song quite a bit now (mostly with another browser window open instead of actually watching the video itself) and I still love the song.

Any link?
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have spent many a long year scaling the mountain but now the peak is in reach and I may plant my flag at what is the height of stupidity. The view is good from here.

Link is there now.

Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to introduce you all to something that has risen to top 20 albums of all time material for me in the short span of two or three months. Le Secret by Alcest is a two track 27 minute masterpiece of black metal at its most beautiful. Somehow lo-fi gritty distortion becomes perhaps the most uplifting and beautiful creation I've ever encountered herein, with a sound more reminiscent of My Bloody Valentine than the style's roots in the likes of Bathory and Burzum. To quote my initial brief assessment where I acquired it, "It's like black metal meets shoegaze in some epic blast of optimism." :)

Proof that good things do come from France:
Alcest - 01 - Le Secret
Alcest - 02 - Elévation

There next album, while not half as heavy, promises to be just as good. I'm more excited for it than any other upcoming venture this year. Check out some samples on his myspace page if you like this. http://www.myspace.com/alcestmusic

Enjoy.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Having already heard Neil Young, Sufjan Stevens, and The Pillows, and having a fairly neutral opinion of all three, the only new band I've encountered out of this is Biffy Clyro. No offense, but I didn't like it at all. It just sounded like the same generic stuff a hundred different bands on the radio play.

I for one have been obsessing over Camera Obscura all weekend. (Yes, I know it's Tuesday night. My schedule is goofy.) These guys sound like an antique in a lovely way. Check it out:

Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken music video on youtube.
Country Mile mp3
I Need All the Friends I Can Get mp3
The False Contender mp3

Camera Obscura on myspace.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like this up and coming band Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin. They're quite Indy and have several songs about girls so they must be considered an Emo band of sorts. My definition of Emo Band has always been "every song is about a girl" and I think it's still a fair definition. Anyways, check out their music video for their song Pangaea. It's the first track on their album "Broom".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hah, that was an entertaining video. I almost downloaded some of there stuff a few months ago just because I kept running in to the name a dozen times. They played a couple sets at South By Southwest in Austin, and I was always looked up the band Boris to see when and where they were going on. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin popped up in every result. That song wasn't too bad - they seem like standard indie guys who are a cut above the mainstream, but probably not something I'd get in to much.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Check this music video out. The song is by a "band" called Final Fantasy, which is really a solo project started by a guy named Owen Pallett (the guy in my banner and avatar). This song's name is kind of a tribute to Win and Regine, who are part of the popular Canadian indie band Arcade Fire, which Owen Pallett toured with for a while. It's a really, really cute music video, and one of my favorite songs by Owen Pallett. Check it out: This is the Dream of Win and Regine

Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This has pretty much nothing to do with this thread, but I didn't want to make a new one for it. So I was looking at Last.fm for some pictures of one of my favorite bands, I'm not going to say which, and I was in for a real shock. This is what the guy looks like now. Pretty normal, no?:

That's probably a year or two old. Following it however they had a picture of his band back in 1999/2000 era. Ahem....:

Gotta love black metal....
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Retro's Guide to Post-Rock v0.5 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been jocking a lot of obscure post rock and ambient lately, for anyone who is interested in that style of music I can recommend some bands and songs. This is prone to be built upon and expanded, and may crosspost a thread of it's own when completed if anyone else would be interested in compiling a similar style of showcasing a genre they listen to predominantly. so await updates!

Do Make Say Think - You, You're A History In Rust - Bound To Be That Way :: a very accessible sound comparable to Explosions In The Sky but also remeniscient of the bleak musicianship of Grails's sound in The Burden of Hope.

Bardo Pond - Dilate - Two Planes :: this time a very building acoustic sound you might here in a Mogwai song off of their album Come On Die Young. (Hunted By A Freak isn't on this album, but is a much more accessible song)

Eluvium - An Accidental Memory In Case Of Death - An Accidental Memory In Case Of Death :: a solo project, Eluvium uses his keyboard to make a very grand and large sound over tracks and big lofting compositions in the backgrounds, creating a very Explosions In The Sky
sound, only muddied up a bit for a much dreamier effect, yet stays with you with driving piano sounds akin to what you could hear in a Belle & Sebastien song.

All India Radio - Permanent Evolutions - Life And How To Do It :: A very shoegaze trip-hoppy combination of drifting ambience found in bands like Disparition by mixxing a dub-step drumbeat over building snythesizers for a very detached noir feeling.

Discolor - Landmarks - Karluv Most :: Haunting minimalist ambience, with a similar style of eerie sounds chiming for a climaxing sound of distortion and melody flowing along in perfect harmony. Machinefabriek has a very similar sound and their album Marijn is worth checking out as well as Landmarks.

Klimek - Music To Fall Asleep - Pathways Verbuden To Work :: As the album's name implies, it is much more ambient than some of the other bands listed thusfar. Comparable to Boards of Canada, Klimek have a almost brooding sound to them, as if you had taken mushrooms and fallen asleep during a nature video in 3rd period science class.

Tape - Opera - Bell Mountain :: Take the instrumentation of Mum but remove the 4 year old icelandic siren nymph, and you've got the same dismal yet very active sound of Tape.

Marsen Jules - Herbstlaub - Aurore :: Airy synthesizers give that same atmosphere as Eluvium, however there are no keyboards driving this piece, as it floats along and builds a sweeping backdrop in a land of fantasy castles and VHS style recording.

Last edited by retrospect. on Sun May 27, 2007 4:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: