Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Idiocracy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Idiocracy Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm just interesting in finding out how many people have actually seen this movie. Idiocracy is Mike Judge's (Office Space, Beavis and Butthead) latest film, about an ordinary man who's put in stasis as part of an experiment, and wakes up 500 years later to find the world's been reduced to a bunch of idiots, leaving him the smartest man alive.

But it's become a bit infamous for being nearly destroyed by its distributor Fox. It only played for a short time in a handful of theaters across the US, and got scat in the way of marketing and advertising. Recently it came out on DVD, making it available in more than 3 cities, and I got the chance to see it.

The film itself has a lot of problems. It doesn't really look very good (too cheap special effects), it's got an annoying narrator, and sometimes the idiocy is just... too idiotic. Plus, it lacks the strong supporting cast and characters that made Office Space so enjoyable.

But the best thing about it is the insane level of detail in creating this dystopia. Advertisements are over everything, (especially the future's costco, which is several miles long, and hilarious). It demands multiple viewings and a ready pause button to catch everything.

That and history told with dinosaurs and the UNnaziing of the world.

So, anyone else seen this?

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw it, and I did greatly enjoy it. It's been a few months since I saw it, so I can hardly go into detail about it anymore, but it was certainly worth a few laughs, and more. Your comments on the film make me wish I actually owned it, so I could give it a second viewing-- perhaps I'll have to get it from netflix again.

Either way, the treatment Fox gave it just increases my hatred of the company. Apparently the test screenings for the movie came back with results saying that people were depressed by the bleak outlook of the future in the film. hah. So based on those "results" Fox decided to put zero effort in marketing it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

GO AWAY, BATIN'!

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just saw this tonight. I was a big fan of "St. God's Memorial Hospital."
Jorge Prima

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, my friend was telling me about it just the other day. I enjoyed the premise and will probably rent it, dispite the fact that he spoiled a majority of the movie.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had seen this movie on DVD about a month ago. Here are my impressions: I think that it is a very average movie, exactly like the main character himself, an exact 5.0 out of 10. I tend to enjoy stuff from Mike Judge like Office Space and King of the Hill, but this movie isn't anything new, and it pushes no envelopes.

Plus, I didn't see it as really a world populated by idiots, but a world populated by the lowbrow people. The main features of the "idiodicy" in this alternate future is watching Jackass shows, eating fast foods, enjoying commercial sex, wrestling and monster truck shows. I mean, i'm sure that those things are enjoyed by some intelligent people as well; But yeah, the future is still full of idiots nonetheless.

The best moments for me were actually the beginning of the movie, and the very end, after the credits. I won;t go into the ending, you'll just have to see the moviefor yourself.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw this movie just after it was released to DVD. My friend brought it to my attention. I found it to be hillarious. For most of the reasons Shrew pointed out. Its attention to detail and its humor was pretty much what I expected out of a Judge production. A lot of the humor of Judge's work is lost when you don't pay attention to the fine details of the movie/show.

I recommend everyone watch it simply for the beginning and explanation of how the world becomes what it does.

"But it has electrolytes!"

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: