Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Forgotten Games You Loved
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Forgotten Games You Loved Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought that the topic 'Unpopular Video Game Opinions' would have to do with opinions of games that aren't hailed as much as the usual games. Instead it's become the opposite: opinions of games that are popular. Needless to say, I wanted to make mention of games that have been forgotten that you loved/love and why. These are games that if you brought up, no one would know what the hell you were talking about. So without further ado...

GEMFIRE - I'm sure lots of you are wondering what the hell this game is. It's an obscure Genesis strategy game where the setting is an island, and your goal is to not only conquer the 30 provinces, but gather the 6 Gemfire crystals and restore the crown. I love this game b/c it requires REAL strategy, not some 'keep your thumb on the attack button' tactic. You have to plan whether you want to attack, when you attack, who to attack, where to keep your defenses, building up resources, etc. It's very Suikoden-like for those looking for challenging strategy games.

PIRATES GOLD - Again, another Genesis game, but this one seems to be difficult to find on EBay, never mind the local pawn shops... and with good reason. It's a non-linear pirating game set during the late 1500s/early 1600s in the Caribbean while the Spanish had major influence there. And by non-linear, I'm not talking FFX-2 storyline linear. I mean, you can do whatever the hell you want, and no one will bitch to you about it! Well, OK, you need to accomplish the 10 Pirating Quests within ten years before old age comes knocking, but it's no problem for me. Definitely a keeper if you like exploration and doing whatever you want.

MIGHT AND MAGIC II: GATES TO ANOTHER WORLD - This is an oldie, made back in '91 for the Genesis. Unfortunately, the storyline is weak, but you have lots of time to go around and level up. The leveling up is difficult, but finding ways around this problem is rewarding, to say the least. There aren't too many positives I can mention, yet it's retained a charm for me over the many years I've known the game. At least there isn't a damn princess to rescue. :roll:

MMII also sports some nice mistranslations that I'm considering giving to Zany Video Game Quotes if the screenshots didn't take up so much space. Oh well. Several good lines include:

"I am Sarakin. Leave my home ore die!"

"Horrors D'Oeuvres" - menu item in bar

"SQUISH! The party is up to its waist in dragon dung!"

"Break glass if in need of Hit Points." -grants 1000+ permanent HP

"Dare steal from me impetuous fool, and suffer the consequences! Love, Murray."

BLAZING HEROES - An obscure strategy RPG for the Saturn, with all the cliche plots that one could fathom, though the Queen was kidnapped instead of a Princess. For some strange reason, I loved this game when I had the Saturn. It didn't bore me for a long time. Maybe it was how you had to use moves several times in order to gain a new one, and each time you use a move, you gain points towards that weapon/spell group. It was very Shining Force-like, too, and I like that series as well. I still can't comprehend why there had to be 12 heroes for the world to be saved... the characters specified 12 for a reason, but was never said why. Might be too cliche for the rest of you, unfortunately.

Bug! - I don't know where to begin with this. Bug! was my opener into the Saturn world, never mind a serious 3D world. I was so good at Bug! that I always impressed my cousin with my skills with the little guy. I never got into Bug! 2, but I did try it. It wasn't as good as the first one. The premise is also simple, in that Bug is in a movie, and the stages are actually sets for this film. I wouldn't have the same skill with it today as I did then, but it was fun.

Toshinden - I have a specific weakness for Ellis from the series, as you'll notice for my avatar, so I'll refrain from being a fan-girl and get to the game itself. ^^;;

Toshinden is kind of cliche in that there's a syndicate hosting the tournament and it gathers the best warriors around. The first eight are kind of divided, 4 being central to the plot, the other 4 just filler. More characters are added as the sequels go on, but these first 4 kind of remain central. But the gameplay got me into the series because it involves timing of your sidesteps and learning the moves within a 3D environment. And it didn't have 'floating jumps' like Virtua Fighter did. :lol: Toshinden's probably my only serious 3D fighter I've gotten into: the rest are 2D, like Guilty Gear and the Capcom series.

I wish I could hail the Toshinden anime, but it was executed horribly. If Kotobuki was in charge instead of Obari, things would be different. :?

Ah yes, the spirit of lesser known games... the gaming industry doesn't have just Final Fantasy and Street Fighter. So what games do you guys remember that we don't know much about?

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mario Kart SNES One- I liked the races, characters, and colors.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Street Racer (the fun racing game that was in the MegaDrive), that game rocks, also The City of Lost Chilren.

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bubble Bobble - A really old game for NES, spawned Bust-a-Move etc. It was a platformer, great game. It's basically you're 1 (or 2, if you play with someone else) dinosaurs who've had their girlfriends kidnapped, so you venture into the Monster Cave (100 levels deep) until you fight the boss at the end that kidnapped your girlfriend. It was a hard game, and *I* never actually beat it, but I saw my brother beat it once. I still love the main theme though, it was so simple, yet so great.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lemmings. Perhaps one of the most simple, floppy disk video games. It was challenging and so entertaining, I still play it to this day (the PSX version). It was a lot of fun.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1127979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Forgotten Games You Loved Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Benit149 wrote:
PIRATES GOLD

I really enjoyed Pirates! on the Nintendo Entertainment System, and I still have the PC version of Pirates! Gold somewhere. I haven't played it in ages though. There may have been a game of a similar genre made for any of the current systems, but I'm not familiar with any... except perhaps "Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat." (though I haven't played the game)

What I particularly enjoyed about Pirates! was the general freedom you had to do whatever you wanted. You could pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer your weaselly black guts out (heh) or you could play by the rules and gain status within nations, while still pillaging other nations. Of course, this carries the risk of a backfire, since the two nations could grant each other amnesty at any time, thus endangering your ascent up the social ladder.

Another game I enjoyed (and still have on PC) is somewhat similar: Sid Meier's Colonization. You get to choose between three or four starting nations (English, French, Spaniards and another I can't recall... if a fourth choice exists) and set off to colonize the New World.

Every so often, you get to choose a forefather to recruit, the choice of which can impact elements of the game. For example, relations with the natives could be improved if Pocahontas is chosen. Of course, your parent country also decides it's a good idea to constantly raise taxes, thus diminishing your trade returns and giving you more than enough incentive to being the War of Independence.

Another game I enjoyed was Star Crusader. It's essentially a space-based shooter (and I'm not a big fan of shooters) and you eventually get to choose which side you want to fight on. You can stick with your initial side or you can join the enemy and earn the scorn of your former friends and comrades. Unfortunately, there seems to be a flaw in the programming on one level which deals with protecting/destroying a religious shrine, and unless you fail the mission you will be rewarded with a high pitched squeal and a crash. I've pretty much ruled out disc error, since I exchanged the game several times and still got the error during the same mission.

There's undoubtedly many more which I've forgotten (appropriate enough given the title of the thread) but I won't bore you any further.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

most of my treasures are for the dinosaur known as the genesis; it was a cheesy platform, but had some darn good early rpgs.

phantasy star III
shining force I/II
shining in the darkness

i also had a pinball game with a 'demonic theme' that was a fun way to kill time as well...ah, genesis, we hardly had time to know ye.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sybillious wrote:
most of my treasures are for the dinosaur known as the genesis; it was a cheesy platform, but had some darn good early rpgs.

phantasy star III
shining force I/II
shining in the darkness

i also had a pinball game with a 'demonic theme' that was a fun way to kill time as well...ah, genesis, we hardly had time to know ye.

Hell yea Syb! Now those are some of the all time great RPGs I grew up with. I thought I was the only one that played shining in the darkness haha, that game was such a pain and so hard, I don't know how many times I got lost. Phantasy Star and Shining Force were and still are some of my favorites of all time. :)

Onto some of my own...

Brought up by Elc, Pirates: Legend of the black kat. I'm sure not many have played it. I love it. Could just be because I love pirates in general but I simply adored it. You play as Black Kat who is a female pirate. It's an action game, but a darn fun one. Play it and you will wonder if Suikoden IV stole some ideas from this game. ^.^

Dragon Warrior: For NES, I read somewhere this is the first ever platform RPG video game. I don't know the truth in that but i've played 1-4 and loved them all. These were the games that got me into the RPG genre. I don't remember an entire lot about them however, just that the first game it's only you all alone against the world killing things like slimes and wyverns, very slow and boring compared to todays RPGs with large storylines and fast action.

Shadowgate: oldy NES game were you had to solve a lot of puzzles in order to get anywhere, collect and find lots of items and bring them to certain rooms and figure out what to do with them and where. i.e. one area there is a skeleton holding a key across a pool of water, since there is no swim command you have to figure out how to optain the key, in another room is a crystal ball, upon inspecting it you are told it is cold to the touch. put 2 and 2 together and a smart fellow would realize that you throw the crystal into the water and it freezes, allowing you to get the key. I love puzzles, which is what made me love that game.

RISK for PS2, I've played RISK the board game, RISK for SNES, all kinds of RISK games but man I never got so addicted to a RISK game as I did with the one for PS2. It had leaders that would talk trash as they played. i.e. Napoleon, George Washington. That and it had unlockable things in the game. Unlockable new leaders, Uniforms, Dice. Depending on different accomplishments you achieved you also got medals stored in a case.

Liberty or Death, for SNES this game is made by KOEI, and I'm sure most know what they are famous for making. Romance of the three kingdoms games, and those Dynasty warrior games too which really are based off the same thing but anyway...I love Romance of the three kingdoms, and this is an American style one you could say. It is played the same way Romance games are except you are either the British Army or the Colonial Army and the goal is to obviously gain control of all the territories. It is pretty realistic history wise as it contains real historical generals, France and Spain even help the colonies in the game as they did in history.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ooh... I enjoyed ZOMBIES ATE MY NEIGHBORS. Mmm... That game was so fun and entertaining, and that dude who lokoed like Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace in the pool! LOL

The old Road Rash games rocked. It started to get bad when they ported it to PS2.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ouch now here is a good topic.....lets see!

Shining Force I, II and III!
Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64) (for Nintendo 64)
WCW vs. NWO Revenge (the ONLY wrestling game I liked....I had some good times with this puppy....blame my friends)
Civilization II
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Front Mission (THE ORIGINAL)
Alex The Kidd (First console game I played :cry: <---tears of memory )
Romance of The Three Kingdoms (mind you they have new versions but it just isn't the same)
Magic The Gathering Card Game (bah, I wasn't the one to play it at school or anything but I did have the game on the computer and I have NO IDEA where the heck it came from but I kind of liked it......wish I kept the damn file)
Duke Nukem 3D (I'm talking custom maps my friends made of our own High School back in the day hehe)
WARCRAFT II!!! WHY DID THEY GO 3D?!?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Well.......those are the ones I can think of right now but I'll see if the list expands later on.

Oh....and I was going to say Marvel vs. SNK but a new version is out. :mrgreen:
Midori

Stijgende Zielen

53473 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Forgotten eh...not sure 'not popular or not even heard of' games are allowed here.

Neorude - A 3 member party RPG (the genre says shooting, but I don't remember that) game released only in Japan (I think). I think it was one of the earliest 3D games ever existed in PS. Loved that game to bits. Too bad when I learned to read japanese, the more I couldn't complete the game.

T: Story begins with T - Somewhat an adventure and 3D RPG game. Also only released in Japan. A very enjoyable game with lotsa minigames that can help you throughout the game. You only control the main character (a teen with a skateboard) and get zapped into another world.

That's all I can remember...
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because I'm lame...

Odell Lake (Mac?) - c'mon, the computer game where you swam around as a fish and chose what to eat and how to deal with predators?? I played this recently again and discovered it was a lot more fun when I was a kid.

Snake Rattle n' Roll (NES) - You either play as the pink or the blue thing, but I think it was 2 player as well...I vaguely remember grass and hills and stuff. I used to play it a lot in the store when I was younger... I remembered the game but forgot the title for the longest time... I only recently found it out again, but haven't obtained a copy.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the atari 2600 also had a few gems, like meglamaniac *i think that's the name-you fought food diving at you 'space invaders' style; the original pitfall and TANK!

*ahh, the pleasures of blowing my brother's ass, er, tank all over the screen :lol: *

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Funny, I was about to say "Grandia", but then I saw the Grandia topic down the list...hmm.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Neclord wrote:
Liberty or Death, for SNES this game is made by KOEI, and I'm sure most know what they are famous for making. Romance of the three kingdoms games, and those Dynasty warrior games too which really are based off the same thing but anyway...I love Romance of the three kingdoms, and this is an American style one you could say. It is played the same way Romance games are except you are either the British Army or the Colonial Army and the goal is to obviously gain control of all the territories. It is pretty realistic history wise as it contains real historical generals, France and Spain even help the colonies in the game as they did in history.

I remember playing it. But on Sega Genesis. I was studying about the American Revolution just then, so it was pretty much perfect timing. It was pretty informative, and fun, like bribing people :D . Ah, the power!

Black Fang wrote:
WARCRAFT II!!! WHY DID THEY GO 3D?!?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Yeah, Warcraft II was tons of fun. Me and my friends agreed that it was better than Command & Conquer: Red Alert at that time. Keep in mind that it's our opinion. I've been more used to playing Blizzard games than the C & C series. Meh.

On par to Black Fang mentioning Duke Nukem, i forgot and loved the Doom and Wolfenstein games. The first ones, of course. Yes, i heard before on how awesome and scary Doom 3 was, but we seem to be entering a kind of "Sequel Era", both in the video game industry as well as in Hollywood. It's both a good thing and a bad thing. Like we are pretty much awaiting the arrival of Star Wars: Episode III in May, which is a good thing. And it's a bad thing (my opinion again) to have a Miss Congeniality 2. I didn't care to watch the first one.

Oh yes, and Sonic. Can't get enough of Sonic.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: