Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Carlos Mencia..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

His ancestory doesn't matter one iota to me in compaison to the fact that I just don't find him funny. I've seen the tail end of his show a couple times waiting for the Daily Show to start, and it seems like he only goes for the obvious jokes - if he doesn't outright lecture the audience.

Turns out I don't like being yelled at when I'm just trying to relax and watch TV.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I spent 2 weeks in my grandmother's house and the TV had a Mencia marathon. I did find him funny when I first caught a glimpse of his show, but he tends to be repetitive with his racial jokes. He just changes the situation of how to tell the joke. BUt I still finished the 6-show marathon, LOL. It was my first time watching him on T.V. since we don't have his show back at home.

Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seen as though we are one dodgy racial humour. Have any of you seen that Dave Chapelle skit were he was a blind KKK member. He was black but becuase he was blind he did'nt know so he was a white supremasist.

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
Seen as though we are one dodgy racial humour. Have any of you seen that Dave Chapelle skit were he was a blind KKK member. He was black but becuase he was blind he did'nt know so he was a white supremasist.

That was hillarious. I personally find Dave Chapelle a million times funnier than Carlos Mencia. I feel like Comedy Central tried to replace the Chapelle void with Mencia and failed horribly.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tried looking for a youtube link but just could'nt find one. But everyone if you get a chance to see it. Its on "The Dave Chappele Show" and you should really watch it.

But seriously I think ethnic comedians use their race and even religions for comedy and nobody really seems to care. And I think thats cool, but I'm sure if any real problems arise somebody will sort it out.

Im gonna end this post with a quote from a funny jewish comedian I like.

"I became a comedian to help breakdown some negative jewish stereotypes........becuase I hear there alot of money in that"

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
...and it seems like he only goes for the obvious jokes - if he doesn't outright lecture the audience.

Turns out I don't like being yelled at when I'm just trying to relax and watch TV.

That's pretty much my major problem with his stand-up. He just lectures the audience for half his show. It annoys me to no end.

^Actual quote!
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw a few of his videos. He does have some funny material, and i don't find too much of his jokes that offensive, but the Pope one was a bit too much, IMO, and i'm not even Catholic. As his standing as a comedian about races, Russel Peters is way better. Well, i can related to more of what he's saying, since half of his jokes are about Indian people. Well, i did a small thread, but you can read a bit on the opinions given there.

http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20883

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anais

Undaunted Men in Blue

272868 Potch
0 Soldiers
658194 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought he was okay when I first saw him on Comedy Central a few years ago, but since then he's gotten terribly annoying. And as if stealing jokes wasn't bad enough, his delivery isn't funny at all.
LordKratos

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carlos Mencia isn't even Mexican...
So I don't know but maybe he's a racist...
But yeah I think that verybody takes something from someone else...They just switch it up a bit, That's what most comedians do you take something you heard and make your own.That in my opinion is what true comedy is...
Kai Ver' Xion

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LordKratos wrote:
But yeah I think that verybody takes something from someone else...They just switch it up a bit, That's what most comedians do you take something you heard and make your own.That in my opinion is what true comedy is...

Taking the butt of jokes and making them your own is different. Mencia has been caught stealing jokes word for word.
LordKratos

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kai Ver' Xion wrote:
LordKratos wrote:

Taking the butt of jokes and making them your own is different. Mencia has been caught stealing jokes word for word.

Yes I know that I was just saying what my opinion of comedy is...
I know that he stole jokes word for word already.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carlos Mencia is funny to a point. Most comedians have an arsenal of jokes that range through various topics. All Mencia ever does is the same ethnic jokes repeatedly, and thats why he grates on my nerves sometimes. I don't care that he's not mexican, because a lot of the stuff he says is true. You don't have to be mexican to point out their flaws, just like you don't have to be white to point out their flaws either. Hell, black comedians make a living off of berating white people, why do you flame Carlos for bashing Mexicans dispite not being Mexican? Nowhere does it say you must be a certain ethnicity to make fun of another... Except maybe whites making fun of blacks, thats touchy.

Carlos's preachiness is unnerving, but I think he does it to raise awareness of the extreme prejudices still prevalent in our society. He just points out where these flaws are and makes us laugh at them and then tells us why it needs to be changed. His entire skit on when he went to a mental facility and couldn't do his retard jokes rang true. Albeit the entire situation probably never happened in real life, his point comes across loud and clear. If you want to make fun of a race, do it in front of their own type. If they can handle the jokes then they're fit for all to hear.

I have no clue why the Mexicans are all upset over Carlos and his jokes. Its not like the southern hillbillies hate Jeff Foxworthy and the rest of the Blue Collar team. They consistantly make fun of the southern hicks yet Larry the Cable Guy is their savior. And I'll tell you right now, there's no way in hell any of those Blue Collar comedians live in a trailer park and are rednecks. They just play them on TV to make a buck. Carlos is no different.

My biggest problem with Mencia is that ALL he does is racial/religous jokes. If he maybe did some political jokes or situational family jokes (a la Bill Cosby) I'd really take a better shine to him. I know every comedian has their niche but Carlos' turns me off of him far too often.

Mind you its not that I hate his jokes, no no. I find him quite funny, but when its the same joke retold 30 times, I tend to move on to better comedians, like Jim Gaffigan (Hot Pocket!) or Eddie Izzard. Dress To Kill is still one of the best routines in comedic history. Carlos is a funny man, but too repetative.

And on the issue of joke stealing... I don't give a crap. If you make a joke and its funny but don't get it out there enough to make it yours, its open game. It might be underhanded, but thats how Hollywood works. People have made millions off of other people's ideas, quotes etc. for years in TV/Movies so why does any of this come as a surprise? Ten bucks says you take any comedian and he'll say he's taken a joke from a friend or someone else. Its how comedy evolves. You take what is funny from someone else and add more. If its funny the way it is, then leave it be and retell the joke as is. No shame in making people laugh. That is his job.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To me the big thing against Carlos Mencia is that he isn't very funny. When I first saw him, I was amused, but if you hear the same joke over and over again, it loses its humor very quickly. It doesn't take long to realize that his entire skit is based off of "Beaner this and Beaner that". If all you have is racial humor, it's going to get old.

I don't care if he steals jokes, I don't care if his name was Bill White. The fact remains that he no longer amuses me, but apparently I'm in the minority since he still seems to have a show on Comedy Central. Apparently enough people find him amusing so they keep him around.

~Uguu!~
Omerta

Fighting First

139174 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carlos is great! I really do enjoy is stand up. His show is alright. It was pretty good in the first season. There just not many people that will tell jokes about the things that he does and feel sorry for it. Thats why i like him. He will say things that the rest of this country is afraid to say.
No_Brain

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, but as mentioned by many other posters, he keeps on saying them over and over again. Overall I never got into him enough to actually like his standups or his show. Other comedians manage to talk about the same issues and actually make it both funny and varied, Mencia simply changes a few words and thinks he's got a new joke.

*Sigh.... I miss the Chapelle Show... And Eddie Murphy stand-ups....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: