Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Carlos Mencia..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai Ver' Xion

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Carlos Mencia.. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a question I've really been wanting to ask a large group of people for some serrious feedback.. Do you think Carlos Mencia is funny?

There are some really mixed fews about Carlos Mencia. He does in fact have a large fan following, but those who are not apart of the following seem to really throw some hate out towards him, emphisized most by the famous Joe Rogan event.

I have my own personal views on the subject, but I won't express them until I've recieved some input from you people who so choose to answer my question.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, Personally comedy is relative and if I find something funny then I don't care what people who don't think he's funny have to say. It's like when someone critiques your favorite movie. Nothing they say is going to make you say "Yeah I guess it does stink and I don't like it anymore!"

I loved his stand-up special and I knew I’d love his show (Which I do). But hey… I’m not very picky and I’m easily impressed.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont personally know this comedian (I'm assuming he is one) but people do prefer different things.

If hes offensive check this thread out http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24951 and give him a mention on there, and have you got any youtube.com links?

The Long Patrol

162411 Potch
122 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't find him to be the least bit funny. Maybe it's cultural / ethinic thing.
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He's not terrible, but he's not good either. His racial stuff gets pretty repetative. I went to a live show of his once, and he wasn't that funny but the other comedians performing were hiliarious!

I was rather turned off when I found out his real name is "Ned" and that he steals jokes... He has every excuse in the book but I do believe he uses a lot more of other people's jokes than other comedians do.

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In live stand up he is hilarious. Unfortunately I can't stand him anymore, his show has really gone down hill since season two.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate preachy stand-up comics, I really do. Half of Carlos's (or Ned's) act is just him lecturing his audience like he's an angry father berating them. I actually get offended watching his act, because it's like he's trying to blame me for shit. But I suppose since he's pretty unfunny to begin with, he has to add a lot of filler.

I'm aware of the whole Carlos Mencia / Joe Rogan debacle. The video of them at the Comedy Club was brutal for Mecia. He got blasted. I agree with Rogan that Mencia is a joke stealer. Normally it wouldn't be such a huge deal, but Mencia is a millionaire now. He got millions off other peoples' jokes, which isn't right.

Then again...Joe Rogan ain't funny either.

^Actual quote!
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well. Joe Rogan has a few more funny moments than Mencia, but it isn't as if he's all that great. He did have one funny thing about his attendance at a certain party that I read, but I don't think it totally makes up for his MMA announcing (Everybody is a K1 level kickboxer, and every guillotine choke is sunk in really deep, according to him. Especially when they aren't). I can't say I much like Fear Factor, either.

As for Mr. Mencia... there are a lot of things I don't like about Mencia. To answer the question posed by the thread, no, I don't think he's funny. That's hardly my only problem with him, though. I know about the various accusations of joke stealing made against him. And I'm inclined to believe them; they make convincing cases. So that's pretty slimy. He's made a lot of money off of stealing jokes, and it's amazing he's managed it. Last I checked, you can't get away with copying an encyclopedia article and handing it in as a paper with the excuse that a lot of the themes of your subject are really the same anyway, so I have a problem with him being able to do that. Besides, if you take all the jokes he stole from others out of his act, there's probably not much of value left there.

Next, there is the whole issue of his name. I suppose there's nothing wrong with the idea of a stage name. It's a little different here, though; he's taken the name to pass himself off as something he really isn't. The idea basically seems to be "offensive Mexican comic", except that I don't think he's Mexican. Some might say here that isn't not a big deal; in that event, I have to refer you back to the part about him not being funny, and the part about him being a plagiarist. It's kind of sad that there are more laughs coming out of what his real name is than there are out of whatever original material is actually in his act.
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SwissStopwatch wrote:

Next, there is the whole issue of his name. I suppose there's nothing wrong with the idea of a stage name. It's a little different here, though; he's taken the name to pass himself off as something he really isn't. The idea basically seems to be "offensive Mexican comic", except that I don't think he's Mexican.

He's half Mexican and half Honduran. The only real thing that was changed for stage was his first name.

Personally, I think he can be hit or miss. Some times, I find him rather funny, other times, I think he just misses the mark. As for joke theft, I don't know about the claims well enough to weigh in on it, although for the record, I had no idea Joe Rogan was a comedian until this thread. I just thought he was the cousin of someone or whoever in the studio, which got him the job of Fear Factor host.
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, there's conflicting sources on that one, now that I check again. So it's hard to know for sure, but it's really not a core point of this at all. It matters a little, but you're right in saying that he wouldn't be too funny either way.

(Whee, that post I was responding to vanished!)
Loran Cehack

Moonlight Butterfly

203221 Potch
200 Soldiers
122 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The source I used no longer exists, so I didn't want to challenge your position without at least some proof to back it up, but as I said I don't find him funny in the least.

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe he is half-German, half-Honduran. Thus, the reason people make such a big deal over his Mexican jokes. Half of his stand-up routine is built on "self-insulting" Mexican jokes, so if its proven he isn't Mexican at all...imagine the reaction from his mostly Mexican fanbase.

And from what I read, other Mexican comics aren't fond of him at all.

^Actual quote!
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be a good thing if the OP added a link with information to who he was talking about since the name sounded familiar but I couldn’t figure who he was…

I was mostly familiar with the name from the whole plagiarism issues about him than his own jokes…

But then again I’m really not a fan of stand up comedy I may have gotten a giggle by stand up comedy at best and usually just a cringe… Even comedians I otherwise appreciate like Eddy Murphy can’t make me laugh in stand up comedy I find it so pretentious so fake…
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like him. I find him funny as hell. It doesn't matter in my book that he ain't Mexican. Shooot, I'm just here to wirgh in on the subject since most of you have already decided the dude sucks ass.

Oh and Joe Rogan is a punk. Can't stand him on Fear Factor. I think it would be really funny if he fell off a dock or the edge of a pool and drowned. I'd toon in for that.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Coot wrote:
I believe he is half-German, half-Honduran. Thus, the reason people make such a big deal over his Mexican jokes. Half of his stand-up routine is built on "self-insulting" Mexican jokes, so if its proven he isn't Mexican at all...imagine the reaction from his mostly Mexican fanbase.

As far as I'm aware, the German thing was a vandalism on IMDB (which can have a member edit like Wikipedia), and not backed up with anything, so I'm not likely to believe it without some credible back-up source. Every other source I've seen shows that he is half-Mexican, half-Honduran. The German part had come from the last name of his father, whereas the Mexican surname he currently uses is from his mother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: