Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

All Things Zombies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: All Things Zombies Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wanted to start a topic dedicated to all things zombies. It could be past, current and future zombie movies, comics and books. I am sure I am not the only one here who has an affinity (I don't think obsession would be a good word for most) for these shambling (or running if you prefer those), reanimated flesh-eating corpses.

To start things off, it looks like Zack Snyder's success with 300 has given him some weight and power in Hollywood. Warner Brothers has given Zack Snyder the greenlight to start development on a new zombie movie from his own idea to be called Army of the Dead

Variety wrote:
As "300" continues its march through the worldwide box office, director Zack Snyder is mustering another sort of army.

Snyder and Warner Bros. are reteaming on zombie action-thriller "Army of the Dead," based on an original story by Snyder. He's producing with wife Deborah Snyder through their recently launched shingle, Cruel & Unusual Films, based at Warners.

It's too early to say whether Zack Snyder is considering "Army" as a directing vehicle for himself. He will next direct "Watchmen" for Warner, based on the Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons graphic novel about a group of retired superheroes who reunite to save the world from disaster. He's set to begin lensing at the end of the summer, with the studio eyeing a 2008 release.

Snyder and Warner have set Joby Harold, who penned the upcoming "Awake" for the Weinstein Co., to pen the script for "Army." Cruel's Wesley Coller is exec producing.

Set in a quarantined Las Vegas in the not-too-distant future, "Army" revolves around a father who tries to save his daughter from imminent death in a zombie-infested world. (Snyder got his first taste of zombies directing the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" for Universal.)

Snyder, who has been on a press tour promoting the opening of "300" domestically and overseas, told Daily Variety that he wants "Army" to have a sweeping, epic quality, along the lines of the highly stylized "300."

"I feel like there hasn't been a zombie movie on the scale that we want to do it," Snyder said from the Bahamas, where he is shooting a commercial.

He said it's too early to say how "Army" will be shot -- "300" was filmed entirely in front of a green screen -- but that the project is likely to borrow some of the same techniques.

Cruel & Unusual also is developing action-fantasy "Sucker Punch," which Snyder is co-writing with Steve Shibuya from an original story by Snyder.

Zack and Deborah Snyder are repped by CAA. Harold also is repped by CAA.

On to other things zombies...

Has anyone else here been reading Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead comic series from Image? If you are, what do you think of the series so far?

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm still waiting for some kind of Evil Dead 4...

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fundertaker wrote:
I'm still waiting for some kind of Evil Dead 4...

As Bruce Campbell has said in past interviews, there won't be anymore Evil Dead starring him and directed by Sam Raimi. Raimi's too busy making Spider-Man movies and there's already an Evil Dead remake with a new director and a new actor playing Ash (blasphemy if you ask me).

Blue Rookies

294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Woah finally a zombie thread ;). This is welcoming for Gaienites. I bet you'll see Fu pop in here soon and other Gaienites.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I thought it best to just lump everything about zombies in one topic instead of popping in to create a new topic for a little-known zombie movie or book that only a handful would know about.

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
and a new actor playing Ash (blasphemy if you ask me).

Blasphemy is playing Ash? He's a dark horse I know but still... It'd suit him quite well methinks.

Sorry, couldn't resist ^^

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Decado wrote:

Sorry, couldn't resist ^^

I knew someone was bound to point that one out. I'm just surprised it was this quick and not Blasphemy himself who pointed it out. :)

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
...and there's already an Evil Dead remake with a new director and a new actor playing Ash (blasphemy if you ask me).

Amen to that, why even bother if Raimi and Campbell aren't involved?

As for the topic, I like anything having to do with zombie mythology a good deal, though 'obsession' might be a bit extreme of a word. I've followed the Resident Evil games since the beginning, and I own a good collection of movies - Dead Alive/Braindead is the best zombie movie ever created, in my opinion.

Other than that, I've been meaning to pick up both the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z by Max Brooks, but I havn't had the chance. Would you zombie fanatics say they're good books? There was a topic about surviving an epidemic somewhere around here, and the book was referenced a number of times.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, both of Mark Brooks' zombie books ([/b][/i]Zombie Survival Guide[/i][/b] and World War Z) are worth picking up. The latter title is an especially great read. If you ever want to know how the world would react if zombies were suddenly everywhere and not being dealt with in an organized and correct manner then World War Z is the book to get.

Brad Pitt's Plan B studio has bought the rights to World War Z and planning to turn it into a movie.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

could there ever be an animated joke show that plays like a sitcom, but with zombies? Its harder and harder to do anything new today. It would diffently be differnt compaired to the brain eating zombies of yore

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LordKratos

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did anybody else really love the 2004 remake of the classic "Dawn Of The Dead"
I mean I felt a deep connection to each and everyone of the characters in that movie, to me they weren't just foder for the zombies to eat and rip to shreds.
The characters were all people I could connect to and feel sad when one of them died.

So anybody else love that movie as much as I?
blueflame

Blue Rookies

294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not really, Dawn of the Dead together with House of the Dead is confusing. They didn't even say how the zombies existed. They were just there. If anyone has information about this, please kindly tell me ;).
LordKratos

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well that's really not the point of the movie...
Although I really didn't mind not knowing how they zombies came into existence, I believe it may have been the government working with bacteria and changing the way a virus works (ebola anyone?), or of course one of my favorite explanations the meteor from outer space that when it hits the ground releases a new, never seen super virus.

Of course I'll leave what you believe up to your imagination.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Part of the appeal of the Night of the Living Dead series is leaving the zombie origins open. The scariness of the Living Dead series in how humans are so selfish and cruel to one another when they are being killed by other forces, the craziness of not being able to explain what's going on, why we're killing these things, who can be trusted, etc all builds up into a mental collapses. Not telling the origins of zombies just adds to this.

The real monsters in the Living Dead series are the humans, in their constant bickering and inability to work together and Romero uses zombies as social commentary.

That's why they aren't explained blueflame.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The remake of Dawn of the Dead was more action-horror than the original and the characters were not the best part of it. Other than the character of Ana the nurse, Michael the salesman and CJ the security guard most of the rest of the cast were there to be zombie chow. You could almost see the moment they introduced the characters who will live and who would die.

Not saying I didn't like the movie. I liked it more than most people who didn't like it just because it was a remake of the original. For a zombie movie it was pretty good, but not going to be a classic like the original. As for zombies not always explained as to where they came from or how it starts it should stay that way. The more movies try to explain how zombies start up the dumber the movie gets. I don't really care how they start but care more on how the survivors will live out or die out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: