Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Made or Breed, criminals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Made or Breed, criminals Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought, to go with the "homosexuals? nurture or nature" themed topic
lets go with another flavor.

people who'll be prone to commit crimes.

are mass murders, rapists, embezzlers all sad souls who have something inside their brains that make them do these things? or can we raise a sociopathic murder who tortures animals and kills children?

I mean, sure, I guess growing up with the mob will make some kid be a mobster, but then you have people with mental issues, and obcessive perosnalites that make them do things.

anway, what do you people think?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unlike sexual preference, criminal activity is a specific action. As such, I don't buy that people are bred to be criminals at all. There may be some biological factor for a person to have deviant mindset, but I don't buy that people are bred to shoplift or to kill a person. I think that people in a specific environment can be, more or less, raised to be criminals. People can be raised to think certain criminal activities are fine and justified, and environment can cause people to have a lack of respect for authority.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was this one news that I read once about a boy who was encouraged to act like a gangster by his mother and that led to him killling a man.

Nevertheless, for the most part, I'd say that the actions of people around you affect how likely you are to become a criminal, depending on how much of a follower you are. To put it simply, a person cannot learn how to be good if no one around that person is good. Of ocurse, this is just speculation; I've seen children raised in perfect families commiting crimes anyway.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmmm an interesting topic but I dont think criminals are born wrong. There are exceptions to the rule however such as people who suffer from psychosis or schizophrenia. But the vast majority I beleive are raised to towards a life of crime even if not intentionally by the people raising them but I definetly beleive parents can have a strong role in dictating whether or not their children will become criminals.

Advance Pawns

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Normally it's how they grow up that determines whether or not they become sick criminals. Look at most major stories: Edward Gein, grew up with a heavy christian mother who taught him that women were all whores.. And he grew up to be unappreciative of women and dug up there dead bodies. Another perfect example: Adolf Hitler. That guy had one of the most screwed up childhoods I've ever had the benefit of reading, and he turned out to be an extreme hater of jews.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another strong peice of evidence for the "made a criminal" camp.

Most if not all the extreme and violent criminals Ive ever heard of were made that way from incredibly screwed up childhoods. Hell, most of them killed their parents.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Depends. There are schizofrenics out there that think that their neighbor's dog ordered them to kill dozens of people, but there are also people who have been neglected, overprotected, and / or beaten in their childhood.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fair enough Im sure there is a decent amount of murderers who have tried to say that they are insane or "Dr. Phil gave me orders to kill through the radio" but Im sure for the most part the systen can weed out those people.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe that criminals, especially sociopathic ones, are made by their environment, treatment and experiences as they grow up. Even individuals with mental difficulties and flaws could be reared and taught to be decent individuals who wouldn't harm a fly much less another person. It's why killers and violent criminals rarely win cases where they used genetics as their defense.

Now, being criminally insane is a different matter altogether since an individual doesn't have to any sort of mental defect to be insane. Again, upbringing and life experiences can have a major effect in how an individual's mental health develops.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Depends. There are schizofrenics out there that think that their neighbor's dog ordered them to kill dozens of people, but there are also people who have been neglected, overprotected, and / or beaten in their childhood.

what about women who think God/The Devil told them to kill their children? Killing children is illegal, so are they biologicly loony or did the children piss them off so much they need an aliby and were raised that that is the safest way to get away with murder. Aside from pleding insantiy.

what about socopathic behavior? I read something about a 5 yr old child who'd torture the family dog 'because he liked how it felt'. In time, when older he could grow up and move onto humans like whats-his-face did.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I beleive people who kill "in the name of god" or "because satan made me do it" are just the same as any other loony mentioned before. Its just that god and satan were the subjects of choice.

If someone says a god told me to do it and another said a squirrel ordered me to do it. Id put them in the same camp any sort of day. But people may be more sypathetic to people who lean on this angle. As ordinary people can be religous and its not uncommon for people to have dreams about angels or seeing dead relatives talk to them in dreams.

Although I beleive this is a pychiatric reaction to thing in their life. Alot of people think divine influence can make people do weird things.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you're raised to believe that certain things are not immoral (criminal activities and whatnot) by people who keep committing crimes and whatnot then you're probably not going to be the one to learn from your mistakes. You see this with a lot of drug dealers, come to think of it. A lot of the drug dealers nowadays had/have parents in the trade. And growing up where my mom was good friends with the daughter of one of the head honchos in the mafia in Chicago, you know that the kids born into that kind of lifestyle definitely stay "in the family."

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say that nurture is predominant here, in my opinion.
Altough of course, some people may have some predisposition, so their risk to become a criminal would be bigger.
LordKratos

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People's actions are affected by their environment if a person is in a bad environment where the person is treated like crap and are told they are crap day in and day out... That's the type of person I'd look at for a suspect of a murder case.

Now there are people who live in nurturing, loving homes but they just end up psychos and murderers. But one thing I do believe is that murderers are made and its is not in their blood.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, from studying the biological and physiological nature of all the famous serial killers to date, I would say that the environment makes a murderer and a rapist. There is no proof that one can be bred, but there are plenty books and studies that show that one can be raised towards psychopathic tendencies.

Also, traumas to the head or traumatic events have also been linked between murderers. They used to belief that certain birth defects made one more susceptible towards violent behavior and that it could be passed down through genetics, but that research was inconclusive.

Unfortunately, all people have the potential for murder. The events we go through in our lives make us more susceptible to violence.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: