Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Future Suikoden downloadable packs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Future Suikoden downloadable packs? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have always been slightly annoyed whenever the Higheast Rebellion was mentioned. That point in time during the series sounds like a very interesting plot, yet we only get the more obscure details regarding it. And who knows how many more of these sub-plots we’ll miss out on in the future. But I see the developers’ side. Events like these are likely only meant to add substance to the current timeline in order to make things fit. Making a whole game for it (especially if we’ve already been there in a previous title) is pretty much unnecessary.

But there may be a solution for this, downloadable packs. Now that the next Suikoden is going to be released on a next generation console, the possibility of downloadable packs just became realistic.

Picture this, a year or two after Suikoden 6 is released, a downloadable pack comes along straight from the developers of the game. In that pack is a small yet new story in addition to Suikoden 6. This could be a rebellion, a new power threatening their lands from the sea, or maybe a former True Rune remerges in the game to create a new story. The timeline in the game takes place will be the same time as the length of time the new pack took to be released. And while you probably won’t gather stars this time around, you still will have a host of characters to choose from in order to finish the new goal. If we were to use an analogy, this downloadable pack would be just like Suikoden Tactics. It would be released 2 years after Suikoden 4 available by download.

Would this interest Suikoden players? I’d like to think something like this would be free, but this isn’t something simple like firmware update. It’s pretty much a sub-game when one thinks about it.

Also, would developers be willing to add-on to an existing game and neglect progress on a new title? Personally, I think this is the lesser problem if multiple teams really are working on the games, but money is always an issue.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Now that the next Suikoden is going to be released on a next generation console, the possibility of downloadable packs just became realistic.

Was that confirmed? I still hear people gambling on PS2.

I still think things like the Higheast Rebellion will be covered in a future non-mainstream game like Rhaposodia and Suikogaiden. Whether that's available by download only or not... who knows? It will depend how successful similar games are.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally don't think we'll ever see the Higheast Rebellion visited in a game, we'll only see references, and that even seems unlikely to me.

However the idea of "packs" for Suikoden is a great idea.

Katana...? :P
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Ced used the Higheast Rebellion as mere example. He could use the succession war, Jowston-Highland War, the First Fire Bringer war, etc. as examples.

I believe it was said by an element connected to the Suikoden series development that the new game would be out on the new generation consoles (be it one or more,nothing was confirmed beyond).

Anyway, the idea is very interesting, indeed. Many "loose links" can be connected and smaller stories can be finished this way. Now, I don't think Suikoden will ever be considered "important" enough for Konami to give it more resources to develop those "episodes" or packs, but it's an interesting idea, nonetheless.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the idea, and there are many different wars that don't have to be made into full games, like Fundertaker said. It could open up lots of possibilities for the Suikoden world. I'm all for it.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fundertaker wrote:
Well, Ced used the Higheast Rebellion as mere example. He could use the succession war, Jowston-Highland War, the First Fire Bringer war, etc. as examples.

I understand that, but as I can see, I don't think that Konami would ever base them on any of those events, becuase of two reasons:

1. They're related to old games.
2. Konami would probably open up massive plot holes in Suikoden's story thus annoying me greatly. :P
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How would you like to see the war with Gaien against Kooluk in a downloadable sub game, Uji?

Though, seeing Kooluk again wouldn't be necissary, because we already knows what happens with them. :?
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's also a problem, we know how pretty much all of these older scenarios turn out.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think that'd be too much of a problem. After all, we've known since Suikoden 2 that Georg Prime was wanted for murdering the Queen of Falena, and yet even during Suikoden V that scene was one of the most emotional of the game. The fact that I already knew that something of the like was going to happen didn't detract from the experience at all for me.

That's how it is for most of these side stories. We know that Shu incited internal strife within Harmonia, but we don't know how. We know that the Flame Champion stole the True Fire Rune from Harmonia, but other than that we know nothing about him. There are other such examples as well.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a good point, Zonder. And a very nice example, too.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I for one would love to have something like this on a Suikoden game in a next generation console. It would definitely help flesh out some of these events that we've heard about, and even some that we haven't.

However, this could also be done a different way. I would love to see a separate game which could be a compilation of a certain number of these side stories. They don't have to be too long, and with the next generation capabilities I'm sure it could very wel be possible. All these side stories could have the same battle mechanics and I'm sure they wouldn't need to make too many new locations since most of the side stories take place on a single relatively small region.

Still, downloading them could still be a very convenient option, depending on the pricing these packs would be assigned. I wouldn't pay more than 25 dollars for a small downloadable pack, that's for sure.
Locke Scythe

Scythe

2679 Potch
30 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mean to be a bigot but worst idea ever.

We hardly get the games in the main series.

If they made downloadable packs they would be japan only.

Which I would not like at all.
I don?t care, I?m still free.
You can?t take the sky from me.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, I don't see how there being more games or more playable content is a bad idea, even if people outside of Japan wouldn't be able to play them. Sure, I'd want to play them, but I'm not gonna go "If I can't play them they shouldn't be made at all".

Another point to consider is that these downloadable packs would be more readily available to players, and Konami would only have to pay for the translation/localization of the thing, instead of having to make them in CD form or whatever. If they were to make downloadable packs, I would think that they would have a better chance of being translated than a full-fledged side game. Look at Suikoden 1 & 2 for the PSP. A whole two games we would've loved to have here but we didn't because it would've probably cost too much to do. If these packs are a more economicly viable way to make Suikoden content, then I'm sure Konami would be more willing to send them here. That's what I think at least.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

er....I don't quite understand how downloadable packs work...but the way I see it...if they weren't willing to bring over Suiko 1 & 2 for the PSP I don't really see why they'd want to bring over these downloadable packs...

I mean...Suiko 1 and 2 have already been localized over here...(I mean like script/translation-wise and stuff)....I don't quite understand why they were against bringing over Suiko 1 & 2 for the PSP....but I sort of think whatever the exact reason was it will be the same reason they don't bring downloadable packs over.....[ that is assuming Japan even does release downloadable packs ] =\

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess I am not really familiar with the online abilities of consoles, nor do I particularly care for that. So, if I don't care to use whatever the X-Box or PS3 online things are called, then I don't want these downloadable packs. I'd rather they concentrate on the main games instead.

I suppose as long as there is no new story content involved, just expanding upon ideas touched upon in the main storyline, I shouldn't care if they do, but the part of me that says "if I can't have it, no one should" takes precedence here and since I will not sign up for online services for my consoles, then I can't get these things and hence don't want em.

~Uguu!~
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: