Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Latest Album You've Purchased?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Latest Album You've Purchased? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it'd be good to know what music people on the site are buying. Post the last album you purchased, and if you want, a picture and/or a little review.

I'll start this off:

The last albums I bought were from an artist called Kotaro Oshio:

I got his albums Starting Point and Be Happy, hes a very good guitarist who only plays instrumentals and doesn't play with any accompaniment, so it's all solo acoustic guitar, and it's great. A lot of it has a fantasy feel to it, especially the tracks on Starting Point, and probably wouldn't be that out of place on Suikoden or an RPG like that.

You can find some samples of the tracks for Starting Point here:

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Point-Kotaro-Oshio/dp/B00006LHXR/ref=pd_ bbs_sr_1/103-2938444-1982231?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1174384541&sr=8-1

Feel free to post your purchases how you want.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

last album i picked up was last week and it was The 69 Eyes : Framed In Blood, The Very Best of The 69 Eyes.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I picked up Illinoise, by Sufjan Stevens the other day, after having it be recommended to me by Kalidor-- and I really enjoy it.

He's just a terrific composer, and there is really a whole range of styles on the CD, which gives you a whopping 22 songs for your money. A few of my favorite songs on the CD are The Seer's Tower, 16. They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From The Dead!! Ahhhh, The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us, Chicago, and John Wayne Gacy, Jr.

I also picked up He Poos Clouds, by Final Fantasy-- also at the suggestion of Kalidor. So far I've found it very enjoyable. It's a really interesting combination of some classical instruments with alternative vocals. Throw in a flamboyant lead singer and you've got me sold. My favorite songs on the album are Many Lives ----> 49 MP, and Arctic Circle.

I also nabbed a recording of the Vienna Philharmonic playing Mahler's First and Second Symphonies. Good stuff. The Vienna Philharmonic is just amazing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Latest album I've purchased has been the original soundtrack to Black Snake Moan.

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I bought four new albums today, god bless the internet.

Snow Patrol - Eyes Open
The Gossip - Standing in the way of control
The Kooks - inside in inside out
Muse - Black Holes and revelations

I'm going through another phase of just buying everything that grabs my attention, i will probably by many many new albums for now then not buy any for about a year.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Holes and Revelations is a very good album, and Starlight is a very good song.^^

The last album I bought was "Vision Valley" by The Vines. My favorite song on it is probably "Take Me Back." Anyways, I really enjoy it--though I'm the only person I know who likes The Vines. >_>

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The last album I picked up was...

The self-titled debut album for Rock Star Supernova. I figured I was morally obligated to do so since I downloaded the entire thing in mp3 format. To be honest, though, I was going to buy the CD anyway but I was having a hell of a time finding it.

Yeah, I could have just burned the mp3s to a CD, but I do like to obtain my stuff legitimately whenever possible.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hane by Kotoko. I got it a month or so ago, and I'm still listening to it constantly. It's probably my second favorite album of all time, not quite enough to topple Nikopachi by Maaya Sakamoto though.

Her songs sound so desolate, ravaged, and lonely... and that's BEFORE you get to the depressing lyrics...

"Just exhaling, trying not to stop the weak pulse beating in the heart,
Trying not to stop the crimson sand surging and scraping through me."

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The last one I purchased? That would be We Are Not Alone by Breaking Benjamin. This CD is pretty good, although I like Phobia better.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AA wrote:
The Kooks - inside in inside out

Great album.

Hmm, the last album I bought was Box by Mellowdrone...which was a long time ago. I almost went out and purchased Stadium Arcadium just because it was simply amazing, but I didn't ever get around to it.

Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I bought 13 albums over the last four days. For the record on my rating scale here, I judge music a great deal differently from movies since I know so many bands. With movies I'm pretty critical - anything below 6 is a waste of time and money. With music the range is far more positive. Given a scale of 0-10+ where the two extremes are limited to five or six shows/cds, any band that scores a 6 or higher live I would go out of my way to see again. A 5 means I enjoyed them enough to maybe buy an album but wouldn't go out just for them, 4 is a buffer slot, and 3, 2, and 1 I didn't enjoy. On albums take it down another notch, where 3 is the buffer slot and a cd has to score 2 or lower for me to flat out dislike it.

29th Street Disciples - Ashtray Rock N' Roll: Hardcore/punk rock band from Denver, Colorado. Nothing to brag about. 5/10 live, 3/10 on the record.

All Hail - Every Wealth: Indie post-rock live, straight up indie on the album, these guys put on a great show for a local band. The album's so-so. 6/10 live, 5/10 on the record.

Boris - Flood: Jesusgodmother these guys were amazing. This was the single best live performance I have ever witnessed, and I went in to it with expectations higher than I ever imagined they could match. Flood is a droning ambient album that consists of one song about 70 minutes live. They played a good portion of it live in their 45 minute single song medley set. 10/10 live, 10/10 on the record.

Boris - Heavy Rocks: Heavy Rocks is sort of the hyperactive counterpart to Flood. The bulk of the album is gritty crunchy rock and roll with a flare for insanity that only the Japanese could offer. 10/10 live, 9/10 on the record.

Death Destruction Chaos - The End of Days: DDC are a death/thrash metal band from Denver, Colorado. There music is generic - catchy at times but never really great. Live they put on one hell of a show though. In an audience of maybe 40 they still managed to generate a pit. Their equipment kept breaking and they still managed to entertain me the whole way through. I don't like death metal, but I love seeing death metal bands that don't take themselves seriously. I think they can be best summed up if I quote the lead singer. "This next song is about rollerblading... WITH SATAN!" 7/10 live, 4/10 on the record.

Kylesa - To Walk a Middle Course: These guys are pretty up and in your face metal without falling in to a particular style. I suppose 'heavy metal' is the best place to put them, but that's quite an understatement. They have two drummers live just to completely overwhelm the place. I've seen them twice now and got my money's worth both times. 6/10 live, 5/10 on the record.

Kylesa - Time Will Fuse Its Worth: This is their newer album. Not much has changed in style, though overall I like it slightly better than the first. Still 6/10 live, 5/10 on the record.

The Peculiar Pretzelmen - The Grackle EP: I was strolling down 6th Street in Austin during the SXSW festival and saw a most unusual performance. Four dudes were jamming out on the street corner, but this was no ordinary roadside performance. The guy out front, dressed in a late 1800s style suit, tie, and bowler hat and sounding like Tom Waits, was dancing up a storm with a most unusual ensemble behind him: two fellows in matching garb playing drums set up on some antique rug and a variety of unmiked stringed instruments and one guy armed with nothing but a drumstick and metal helmet with a tambourine attached to it, supplying percussion via a lamp post, chunk of sheet metal on the ground, and his own head. They rocked out to a variety of gritty folk-jazz tunes before the cops came by and broke it up, but not before I was able to pick up an album for $5. A short review I read of them afterwards described them as a cross between Tom Waits and The Squirrel Nut Zippers, and I can't really label them any better than that. The album contains a lot of brass despite having none live, but it's not the annoying sort. This is definitely worth checking out. 9/10 live, 8/10 on the record.

Priestess - Hello Master: These dudes opened for Mastodon and were pretty entertaining live, especially following an act that was horribly cliche. They forged their own with a sort of post-80s anthem rock that managed to not sound like everything else and still be really catchy, to the point where after seeing them once I recognized half of their album the first time I listened to it. I liked the cd even more than the live performance as it turned out. 7/10 live, 7/10 on the record.

Six Parts Seven - Casually Smashed to Pieces: These guys were moderately boring live but I thought I'd give their cd a shot anyway. Their closing song got to me or something. As it turned out the album was great - a sort of chilled out post-rock that manages to keep me interested the whole way through without ever getting heavy. 5/10 live, 7/10 on the record.

Sole - Bottle of Humans: Sole was fascinating to watch live. This dude has long red hair and a hobo beard, and he busts out hip-hop rhymes faster than most any other act I've heard. I had listened to Bottle of Humans a number of times before going to the show, and my opinion of it hasn't really changed. He seemed like the sort who would put on one hell of a show though, and sure enough I had a great time. Sage Francis even came out for a bit of freestyle. 8/10 live, 5/10 on the record sounds about right.

This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain: Back in October I saw The Album Leaf, and the frontman for this band that opened for them, Lymbyc System, was wearing a yellow t-shirt with the outline of a giant grizzly bear and the caption "This Will Destroy You". I was so intrigued by the awesomeness of said shirt that I went and looked the band up. While I only ever found one song by them, I was still pretty excited to see they were playing SXSW. I went in early just for them, and I wasn't disappointed. The album is alright, standard post-rock. Live they really kicked ass. These guys are local, so hopefully I'll see them again soon. 8/10 live, 5/10 on the record.

Various - Austin Indie Alliance IV: I was handed this for free on 6th Street and haven't given it a listen yet.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Recently, I bought Exodus by Utada hikaru online. It is a very good album, and very hard to find. I'd have to say my favorite song is "Hotel Lobby", which I think is about a prostitute. It's a good song, though.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

just picked up the best of atreyu :mrgreen:

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just received my copy of Feeder - The singles, is going to be well good ^.^
Destiny's Warrior

Mercenarios of Destino

17251 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Last album I picked up was 'Costello Music' by The Fratellis.

Pretty damn good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: