Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Unpopular Video Game Opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
Ahh, Disgaea. While I would disagree on the generalization that there's to enough emphasis on plot and too much on levelling up (someone has obviously never played Rhapsody), I agree with everyone who says that the only strategy in Disgaea is to Power Level and pound your opponent to a pulp. There's nothing else there in terms of REAL strategy.

What Rhapsody a musical RPG for the PS1? If it's the game I'm thinking of, then I've played that, although I don't remember a lot of it. ^^;

To save space, I'm not going to quote you on it, but major props to you for mentioning Tactics Ogre and Breath of Fire V. ^^ I adore Tactics Ogre, and now I'm going to just have to go check out Breath of Fire V when I have the money. (Should I have played any of the previous Breath of Fires?)

I think Shadow Hearts is less strategy and more action in their battle system. What it really comes down to is timing - hitting the red areas of the circle at the right time. I suppose there is some strategy in it in that you can choose the ring type and alter the ring's hit and critical hit sections, but it's more action and hand and eye coordination than any deep thought.

(And dude, feel free to rant away when you're well rested. That's what this topic is for.)

Njord wrote:

I didn't notice many (if any) religious symbols in this game; all I saw is some crucifixes look alike things (I think) and few persons who resemble angels, nothing that religious itself.

The only thing I understood about the story that is about the space and an alien named U-do.

Shadow Hearts had more religious symbols than this game.

Oh, Xenosaga has a TON of religious symbols, but it doesn't really seem to use them for any reason other than to ...well, use them. The Zohars/Crusifixes (The Zohar is an important book in Jewish mysticism....Crusifixes are one of the most recognizible Christian symbols.), Abel (Slain by his brother Kain in Genesis), the Gnosis (Greek for knowledge; gnostics thought it was a privaldged insight into the spiritual workings of the universe IIRC; gnosis is also be used to denote several more esortic offshoots of Christianity, like gnosticism), the Zoar conflict (Lot was from Zoar; it's where his wife glanced back when God was smiting it and turned into a pillar of salt), Zarathustra (ancient Persian prophet; founder of Zorastrianism, also character in Also Sprach Zarathustra by Nietziche which is interesting but I think less what they were going for), Ariadne (She led Theseus out of the minotaur's maze in Greek myth; he dumped her off on some island after they were out of danger. However, she wound up trading up in the end as Dionysius took an interested in her and married her.) the 13 Emanulators (named after all of Jesus' diciples, and Marienkind is either a reference to Jesus (Marienkind = Child of Mary) or, though I truly doubt it but it would be much cooler, a reference to the Grimm Brother's fairytale, Marienkind), etc.

Quote:
I think the reason it doesn't sell is because it is not really for every player, this game is not meant for the younger players because of the many grownups things it contains, and since it also is kind of scary and more violent than normal RPG's then I don't think any parent will let a child play it.

I agree with you that I wouldn't let my children play Shadow Hearts (the Dollhouse creeps me out now; had I seen that when I was younger I would have likely gone to pieces!) but I don't think the predominant number of RPG players are children. Most of the people on this board are around 17-25, though of course there are those younger and older. Looking at various RPG boards I've visited, the average age range seems to be from older teens to young adults. And the average age of a game player in the US was, last I remember, about 28, IIRC. I don't think age acts as a necessary detterent; I wouldn't want my kids playing Grand Theft Auto either, but that series is one fo the best selling in years.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't see this happening any time in the future because it won't benefit any gaming company that much since RPG
female gamers are kind of rare.

And even if they were to make a girl game then I don't think many gamers other than girls will buy it, guys usually don't prefer to play as girls.

Why would only girls want to play as girl characters? Throughout all my years of game playing, I have played many male characters and neve felt funny about it; it was just the main character in a plot I was interested in. I don't think this argument has a lot of merit; if it did, you wouldn't see any girl protagonist games sell well.

And while for some reason there haven't been a lot of games with female protagonists, those that do have them can sell fairly well. Tomb Raider, with it's only real A-list character Lara Croft, sold extremely well. FFX-2 was a big hit as well; that RPG features an all female party. Dead or Alive, a fighting game series, also has a primarily female cast. Rhapsody and La Pucelle Tactics both have female protagonists, I believe, and while Rhapsody is more of a cult title. La Pucelle sold fairly well, IIRC.

And furthermore, using a female protagonist is as much a boon to male gamers as female gamers. Isn't it time you guys got to stare at some gal's hot patootie as she tromps through foreign fantasy lands? :P

And I don't think female gamers are necessarily rare; we just run in different circles than guys. Take a peak into the Sims fandom sometime; about 95% of the fandom is female. Sims games are bestsellers and considering the overwhelming female majority, it isn't boys buying them much. Puzzle games tend to run female, too. Most people who write fanfiction are overwhelmingly female; there's tons of videogame fanfiction out there - and if you look through it, it's not an exception to the rule - it's mostly girls writing it there, too. Most RPG communities have strong female minorities if not outright female majorities - or at least most of the ones I trod in do.

Another thing is, I think, most people assume gamers to be male and thus, several females lurk where you might not expect. A lot of girls get tired of the PMs asking "OMG ARE U A GIRL? ASL!" or people saying that can't possibly be women because ....well, girls don't like videogames, duh, so you must be a guy impersonating a girl. :|It's very common to see girls deliberately choose usernames that don't point towards their femaleness (just as men don't necessarily choose a name that reflects masculinity).

And in real life, I think it's just that girls don't tend to talk about it or join videogame communities much. For example, I never joined my school's videogame league because:

a) All they ever play is Halo, and I hate FPS games. (Strangely, FPS doesn't seem to be too popular with girls...)

b) More importantly, the one time I walked over to their recruitment table, you would have thought hell would have frozen over; I never felt so uncomfortable in my life. That discomfort has also lead to my disinterest in arcades - I'm tired of being asked where my boyfriend is or being told DDR is free so I could stop playing Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter or Tekken or whatnot. -.-

It's an uphill climb for a girl gamer; girl games are automatically tomboys and everything associated with it. Videogames are marketed as Toys for Boys - Period, unless it involves Fashion or Barbie, in which case it is a Toy For Girls - Yong Girls. Girl gamers are almost always considered the inferior; it's like walking with a gigantic n00b sticker on your head. For life. You will always have to prove yourself; you will never blend in completely. It takes a thick skin to be a girl gamer and remain so.

Games aren't targetted to girls, and girls often are involved in gaming through the involvement of others (a boyfriend urging them to play, a brother's system they start sneaking turns on when no one's home, etc.) - perhaps more so than boys, I think, though that is only my own hypothesis. I seriously think the biggest barrier for women to get interested in games, besides the marketing being focused entirely on men, is Gamer Shame.

That said:

Girl games do exist and we are growing; when I walk past the arcade now, I see a lot of girls playing, especially games like DDR. And there is an evergrowing segment of "Loud and Proud" female gamers; I've met many online and off. Matter of fact, just today, I bonded with a female classmate over a discussion of how to raise mags in Phantasy Star Online. Try googling the term "Girl gamers" sometime; you get 417,000 results for that term; and another 402,000 for "female gamers" and another 503,000 for "woman gamers." Some of them are overlap, but the majority aren't. Look how many websites there are for girl gamers. Women Gamers.Com, one of the oldest girl gaming sites on the web, has a healthy forum populated mainly by ....girl gamers. Interesting to have a look through, at the very least.

[quote="PalominoMule"]Well, great, that feeds right back into the problem already stated - flat, worthless characters that happen to be hot and have boobs. Yay, equality.

.... Because God forbid they empathize with an attractive woman, actually think of them as a human and not eye candy. Better women than I have pointed this out, though, so I'm bitter.[/url]

To be fair, there aren't a lot of unattractive male characters in videogames; but I don't think male characters are sexualized to any degree as much as female avatars are; a male medieval character gets a full chainmail suit...A female medieval character gets a chainmail bikini. :|

Pyroflame wrote:
Metal Gear Solid (One, not two or three) was an amazing game, because it had a stunning score, an insane, complex story, with good plot twists, AND the gameplay wasn't easy, on Hard and extreme. It was somewhat challenging. And it was a good game because it wasn't "Walk in, and shoot everyone." It was "Sneak in, and don't get caught." That's why extreme mode is the only way to play that game. But I guess innovation has no place in the Video Game world. Nope, just idiots playing the same games, with a different shell. That's all it will ever be.

You say toe-mah-toe, I say toe-may-toe, Pyroflame. You see innovation...I see a snoozer of a plot that looks like every spy genre cliche, ever and spying lessons that even a rather uninspired, half-blind wombat could learn within five minutes. I didn't find it an interesting, or challenging, for that matter, game. I'm well aware I'm in the minority opinion, otherwise...Well, I wouldn't be posting it here. :D

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^^^

And I'm supposed to follow that post up just how, Falena Queen? :D

I know of that site, womengamers.com, and actually somewhere on it (not sure where) there is a section where girls review female characters/protagonists in games. I remember that Chris Lightfellow got a 10/10, and what can I say, a girl in armor fighting (and beating) the guys at 'what they do best', she's definently an empowering character, far more than Aeris and Tifa, and in the same vein as Terra and Celes (the true badass FF chicks*).

I do know some girl gamers (I'm trying to convert my sister but she still thinks games are for nerds, I hate narrow-minded people). Most of them play games like DDR, Platformers and Fighters. In real life I have yet to meet a girl RPGamer, though I'm sure they exist. It's a shame I haven't, because if I ever do then I'll know that I've met my soulmate.

Here's one that I'll dispel for you: RPGs are for nerds and shut-ins. Absolutely not true. There's little I enjoy more than a good RPG, and although I might be a bit of a shut-in (because I'm lazy), I'm definently not a nerd. Alot of my friends, buddies, 'business connections' and boys are huge fans of the genre, and all have their different preferred series/games (for example, one of my friends is crazy about .Hack, another likes Xenogears/Saga, I like LUNAR, Suikoden and Final Fantasy). I think the RPG=nerd assosciation comes from games like D&D (Which I just can't get into) and online games like Baldur's Gate, which are known to grab gamers and not let go for days, even weeks at a time, shutting gamers off from the outside world. Even then, not everyone who plays these games is a 'nerd'. Sure , nerds play them, but nerds also play fighters, shooters, platformers and all other types of games, and saying that only nerds play RPGs is one of the worst generalizations facing the genre. It's like saying that only nerds read a certain type of literature or watch a certain TV show, a statement that has no grounds in anything and can't be proven in any way.

* - Because 'FF Chicks' sounds alot better than 'FF Girls' or 'FF Women'
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I'm not tired, I'm suffering from adrenaline rushes from playing onlie FPS games (I just installed Wolfenstein Enemy Territory for Mac). :D

Sophita wrote:
What Rhapsody a musical RPG for the PS1? If it's the game I'm thinking of, then I've played that, although I don't remember a lot of it. ^^;

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. A Cute, candy-coloured romp through some kingdom called Marl so a young girl can save her prince. :)

Quote:
To save space, I'm not going to quote you on it, but major props to you for mentioning Tactics Ogre and Breath of Fire V. ^^ I adore Tactics Ogre, and now I'm going to just have to go check out Breath of Fire V when I have the money. (Should I have played any of the previous Breath of Fires?)

The BoF Games do not borrow from one another at all, so there's no need to play the other games. In fact, BoF V (Dragon Quarter) is TOTALLY different from all of the other BoF games. They changed the battle system, changed the setting, even. Instead of being a fantasy game where you're a boy who can turn into a dragon, it's a science-fiction, post apocalyptic world where everyone's moved into the underground, and fresh air is at a rarity. Awesome atmosphere, and very much made for the hardcore gamer, but it's not so unfair that it's totally unplayable (like SaGa tends to be). Your choices during battles and when walking around on the map are EXTREMELY important and a bad decision opens you up to being SLAUGHTERED by enemies. This a game where enemy position is very important, because you move guys on a map (which uses AP) and then attack (which also uses AP). Does your strategy involve setting a magic circle to get the enemy to run into it, or does it involve running out of line of sight? Will you try to hide from the enemies and sneak past them, or throw a piece of meat to them as a distraction and move past them, or throw a bomb and try to kill most of them? YES. You can throw things at the enemies to distract them on the map and try to get first strike. You can also use a number of cool combinations from your characters to try to take out opponents during battle. You have to plan ahead in this game, because if you die, you have to start from your last save point. You can NOT arbitrarily save in this game - no more of that "I died, RESET!" stuff. If you die, you keep all your skills but lose half of your money and half of your "Party XP", which is stored XP that you get from every battle in addition to normal XP. Lots of element strategy and weaknesses as well.

This game is awesome. And it's cheap, too - I bought it for 20CAD. Best $20 game I've ever bought in my life, but it's easily worth 60.

The other Breath of Fire games don't even come close to the coolness that BoF 5 is. But it's very difficult, so make sure you give it a chance before you cry in frustration. There are some ways you can exploit the system to give you an edge (and it's meant to be done, too).

I was very entertained by Tactics Ogre. It came very close to being the second Playstation game I would have played through entirely more than once. Yes, you guys heard that right - there is only one PS game and PS2 game I've beaten completely more than one time. That game is Final Fantasy Tactics. I've come close with a number of them (FF7, Tactics Ogre), and have made the halfway mark for a ton (Front Mission 3, Star Ocean 2), but in my memory I do not think I have ever passed a PS/PS2 game completely more than once except for FFT.

Sophita wrote:
b) More importantly, the one time I walked over to their recruitment table, you would have thought hell would have frozen over; I never felt so uncomfortable in my life. That discomfort has also lead to my disinterest in arcades - I'm tired of being asked where my boyfriend is or being told DDR is free so I could stop playing Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter or Tekken or whatnot. -.-

This goes for not just video games... card games, board games, tabletop RPGs, and computer science in general. If you're a girl who likes any of these things, you, more than likely, tend to be worshipped. It's kind of creepy because all of these rather unsettling guys are oogling you, and you're suddenly cool and worse, TOTALLY HOT because you're into these things that they like.

There's a bit more that goes on, but I have the discussion of "women in computer science" all the time with people and I'll probably not go along repeating it here...
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Queen Sophita wrote:
Oh, Xenosaga has a TON of religious symbols, but it doesn't really seem to use them for any reason other than to ...well, use them.

Hmmm... I never really thought there were these much religious names, I knew most of these name were religion related, but it didn't seem that connected to what these names had to do with the religion itself, they were just religious names given to these objects, the meaning or role of these names didn't have much impact on the story.

Quote:
Why would only girls want to play as girl characters? Throughout all my years of game playing, I have played many male characters and neve felt funny about it; it was just the main character in a plot I was interested in. I don't think this argument has a lot of merit; if it did, you wouldn't see any girl protagonist games sell well.

Well, I never meant it to sound like girls only play girl's game.

I am one of the guys, who actually don't mind playing as a female character, and don't mind playing as any kind of character.

What I wanted to say is that I can't see guys play as normal kind of female characters, female characters that aren't feisty or damsel in distress or eye candy as was said in earlier posts.

For example, if we took Rhapsody a musical adventure, how many guys do you expect would want to actually play this game if it wasn't for that hot girl?

The story is about a beautiful girl who goes on an adventure to save her prince, if it was about a normal girl going on an adventure to save her prince then it'll be a different story.

Just ask any guy if he wants to play a game as a female character who isn't hot or isn't a kick ass, and even the kick ass female character must be hot.

The answer will be no for most of the guys because guys usually don't prefer playing as girls or don't prefer playing as normal girls, maybe half of them do in secret but they absolutely don't in public.

Quote:
And while for some reason there haven't been a lot of games with female protagonists, those that do have them can sell fairly well. Tomb Raider, with it's only real A-list character Lara Croft, sold extremely well. FFX-2 was a big hit as well; that RPG features an all female party. Dead or Alive, a fighting game series, also has a primarily female cast. Rhapsody and La Pucelle Tactics both have female protagonists, I believe, and while Rhapsody is more of a cult title. La Pucelle sold fairly well, IIRC.

The main reason these games sell is that these female character are hot, hot, hot, and kick guy's butts.

Most games that have female characters use attractive hot girls, and that is why guys love them, if these characters were normal non attractive girls then you won't see them sell that much.

Quote:
And I don't think female gamers are necessarily rare; we just run in different circles than guys.

I now see you are not that rare, but you are still rare for me since you are hiding.

Quote:
Take a peak into the Sims fandom sometime; about 95% of the fandom is female. Sims games are bestsellers and considering the overwhelming female majority, it isn't boys buying them much.

Girls buy Sims because it prepares them for the marriage life ^.^.

Sims is about living a life as you want, you make your house, you chose your job, and you choose your wife/husband.

Isn't that what most girls dream about everyday?

By the way, I play this game and I love it, so I know what it is about.

The Hot Ice wrote:
RPGs are for nerds and shut-ins

Anyone who said this to my face got my fist on his cheek (or got in an argument that they never wished they got in).

I really got tired from explaining to people that RPG's are just a genre of videogames like any other genre.

If they think we are nerds then they are super nerds for playing videogames, if they don't like RPG's then they should be quite, we don't need their opinions.

The thing that puzzles me most is that most of the people who say these stuffs to me are actually most people with no social life.

That is just weird.

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Njord wrote:
For example, if we took Rhapsody a musical adventure, how many guys do you expect would want to actually play this game if it wasn't for that hot girl?

The story is about a beautiful girl who goes on an adventure to save her prince, if it was about a normal girl going on an adventure to save her prince then it'll be a different story.

Obviously, you haven't played, or even looked at Rhapsody. Cornet is far from being a beautiful girl, and is made out to be extremely normal in the game. Even if you look at pictures of her, she has a very simple look to her. Now, granted, she's a cartoon character so some guys are bound to find her really hot, but most people probably wouldn't admit it.

Go play the game before you make such sweeping remarks.... or even just look a little bit of it up. I had a picture link here, but I removed it so you can go look for it yourself.

Njord wrote:
Girls buy Sims because it prepares them for the marriage life ^.^.

Sims is about living a life as you want, you make your house, you chose your job, and you choose your wife/husband.

Isn't that what most girls dream about everyday?

You are _so_ opening up yourself for a royal ass kicking for this one.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well now, where to begin...how about with the games I love. (and for the games that are" popular" to love/hate, I'm just defending my position here. :3)

I love the Shadow Hearts games. I feel that the judgment ring makes combat more interesting than just clicking "attack" or "auto", then sitting back for a while. The story is also interesting, with the main character Yuri having to fight the demons inside his heart. Literally.

That being said, I also love the Star Ocean series, for basically the same lines. The combat is what really drawed me in and kept me there.

Xenogears' combat system is really great, and the plotline is a giant mindjob. Seriously, it's more messed up than Neon Genisis Evangelion. XD

What I found was the best with Chrono Trigger was that about midway through the game, Crono dies, and you can choose to ressurect him or not. No other RPG that I can think of has something like that. It was a brand new innovation, and I haven't seen anyone else take the concept.

Katamari Damacy. No explanation needed.

Games I hate? FPS-ers mostly. (My hatred for them burns with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.) Halo blows. It's a bunch of over-hyped, useless coding. They really gotta stop making these WWII/Vietnam games. I am sick to death of them. Seriously. =_=;

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can people explain why they hate FPSs with an explanation that consists of more than "Halo blows"? I have never played Halo, but I've played a lot of Quake 2, Elite Force, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat...

I cannot comprehend how you can play an FPS with a gamepad.

I thought I hated them too until I actually played them and someone taught me the basics of the FPS concept. They're a lot more involved nowadays than the old Quake deathmatch. Wolfenstein Enemy Territory require real teamwork and strategy. Counterstike involves knowledge and skill. The games are also a big source of adrenaline, I feel - there's nothing more tense than jumping out of a pool of water, launching your grenade, pulling out the SMG, blasting two people, and ducking back into the water as bullets go sailing past your head. You might see it as mindless violence, but there's a real appeal in the style.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The other Breath of Fire games don't even come close to the coolness that BoF 5 is.

:shock: Wow I actually thought it was one of the worst of the series. I admit that the battle system is one of the best ones that has been done in a while, but the story line isn't that great in my opinion. Now that I think back about it might have had a slightly better storyline than I thought back when I played it, but it just didn't have a Breath of Fire feel to it. I probably would have liked it a bit better had it not been part of the BoF series. It just seemed to lack several of the things that should be in a BoF game. I suppose the largest example is that you had to completely ration your use of the dragon, or you lose the game. The use of the dragon abilities is what makes a BoF main character a BoF main character. Oh and for refrence my favorite BoF is 4.

Quote:

What I wanted to say is that I can't see guys play as normal kind of female characters, female characters that aren't feisty or damsel in distress or eye candy as was said in earlier posts.

Just ask any guy if he wants to play a game as a female character who isn't hot or isn't a kick ass, and even the kick ass female character must be hot.

The answer will be no for most of the guys because guys usually don't prefer playing as girls or don't prefer playing as normal girls, maybe half of them do in secret but they absolutely don't in public.

I personally don't care if I'm playing as a girl, a guy, or some creature that is gender nuetral. What I care about is storyline and character development. I could care less about the appearance(assuming I can stand looking at the character) as long as the story is good and the personality isn't the equivelent of llama spit.

Quote:

Can people explain why they hate FPSs with an explanation that consists of more than "Halo blows"?

Oh I can take this one easy. I hate FPSs because Quake blows. No I'm just joking. I seriously despise them because I just don't enjoy them. As I have stated previously one of the things that I care about in a game is the storyline and the character development. I admit that some of them probably do have this, but that isn't what the focus is in the game.

Another thing is that I honostly don't get what is so exciting about shooting things. I don't care for guns on a personal level that extends quite deep because they go against my code of honor, but I won't go into too much detail in order to save you all from a long rant. So to sum this point up I just don't enjoy shooting things.

I suppose another part of this is that I am not good at FPSs at all. Of course if you aren't good at somehting and don't enjoy it you aren't going to bother with getting better. Whenever I enter an FPS match(we play at school on occasion) I am always the fodder that everyone else kills off. However this is just a minor point.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Wow I actually thought it was one of the worst of the series. I admit that the battle system is one of the best ones that has been done in a while, but the story line isn't that great in my opinion. Now that I think back about it might have had a slightly better storyline than I thought back when I played it, but it just didn't have a Breath of Fire feel to it. I probably would have liked it a bit better had it not been part of the BoF series. It just seemed to lack several of the things that should be in a BoF game. I suppose the largest example is that you had to completely ration your use of the dragon, or you lose the game. The use of the dragon abilities is what makes a BoF main character a BoF main character. Oh and for refrence my favorite BoF is 4.

Personally, I loved Dragon Quarter. It had the perfect atmosphere to it, and it was just a truly beautiful game, in more ways than one. I definitely suggest you go through it again to refresh your memory.

I really enjoyed the D-Counter. It made sense, plot wise, because this Ryu wasn't supposed to have the ability (Well, he was, in a "Destiny" sort of way). The Dragon Powers only go to those with mostly pure blood (The D-Ratio of 1/4 or higher -- Hence, Dragon Quarter). Ryu's was very low (Something like 1/3000something, yes?).

Anyway. This game's Nina is definitely one of my favorites, right behind Breath of Fire II (God I wish that game had a better translation...). Her story is rather compelling to me.

Of course, there's no guarantee you'll agree with me on any of this even after a replay, since your favorite is my least favorite, so maybe we just like different things. :)

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
Can people explain why they hate FPSs with an explanation that consists of more than "Halo blows"? I have never played Halo, but I've played a lot of Quake 2, Elite Force, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat...

It's quite simple really, FPSs just re-use the old coding from previous FPSs (Street Fighter II Hyper Turbo Champion Edition, anyone? :roll: ). And they continue to recycle this coding, yet give it a new title to entice you into buying another game, when it really is, in essence, the same game. It's just like buying sports games, as I seen NO difference between Maden 2k4 and 2k5, except possibly a small roster/stat change. The only things that FPSs change are the weapons and the character shooting said guns. Oh yeah, and maybe the enemies.

Besides, as Ranadiel put it, there is no/poor story or character development in FPSs. FPS stories are about as thin as say, porno movies. They just throw in the story to give an excuse to throw out another game at you. Just look at the story/characters used in WWII games. They're all Saving Private Ryan: The videogame.

I used to like FPSs when they were unique and interesting. But that was 12 years ago, at best.

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcena wrote:
Obviously, you haven't played, or even looked at Rhapsody. Cornet is far from being a beautiful girl, and is made out to be extremely normal in the game. Even if you look at pictures of her, she has a very simple look to her. Now, granted, she's a cartoon character so some guys are bound to find her really hot, but most people probably wouldn't admit it.

Go play the game before you make such sweeping remarks.... or even just look a little bit of it up. I had a picture link here, but I removed it so you can go look for it yourself.

Well, I didn't play it because it is no where to find in here (I saw it once but I didn't get it u.u) but I did read a whole review on the story.

I admit I was actually confused when I wrote that because I always thought from reading the review that the heroin isn't that hot but what made me more doubtful about that information is Sophita's post where she said:

Quote:
And while for some reason there haven't been a lot of games with female protagonists, those that do have them can sell fairly well... Rhapsody and La Pucelle Tactics both have female protagonists, I believe, and while Rhapsody is more of a cult title. La Pucelle sold fairly well, IIRC.

I assumed she means Rhapsday's heroine is hot since she putted it with La Pucelle and the other games.

At the beginning I was going to say that: (before seeing that comment by Sophita)

For example, if we took Rhapsody a musical adventure, how many guys do you expect would want to actually play this game for that normal girl? (instead of hot).

The story is about a normal girl who goes on an adventure to save her prince, if it was about a normal boy going on an adventure to save his princess then it'll be a different story.

It was a long time (four years) since I last saw the review, so I was really confused.

I didn't see the heroine's picture with the review but I remember someone in this forum that had an avatar of the heroine.

I believe it was this:

That is hot, if not, tell me what it is?

So, if someone thinks she is hot then what I wrote is true, and if someone thinks she is not hot then what I didn't write is still true (wrote in this post).

If that women in the cover isn't the heroine then who is? (by the way, I checked some of the art work of the game and most the characters looks beautiful or cute, so I don't know why you think the heroine is simple looking, if she was one of the characters I saw, not showing me a direct picture isn't that helpful).

Quote:
You are _so_ opening up yourself for a royal ass kicking for this one.

Hey, I did say I play that game, so I am in a similar situation ^.^.

And it is a topic about unpopular opinions after all.

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's not the heroine of Rhapsody. :D

That is the fairy...Something or other that I can't remember.

God, I need to play that game again. Now...To find a reasonably priced copy of it. Wish me luck.

Also: This is the main character of that game. Not exactly the hottest cartoon character ever, is she?

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy

Last edited by Blackjack on Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
That's not the heroine of Rhapsody.

Hmmm... then I'm confused, if someone has a picture of the heroine, please show it to me ^.^.

Edit: thank you Blackjack for the picture.

Quote:
Also: This is the main character of that game. Not exactly the hottest cartoon character ever, is she?

Not the hottest indeed, but not even the ugliest, she is pretty.

Not a drop dead gorgeous thingi, but she is still beautiful. (Arcana made her sound like nothing special, which by the way is not that true from my point of view).

Last edited by Njord on Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackjack put up a link to the picture. Click on the word "this" in Blackjack's post.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ranadiel wrote:
As I have stated previously one of the things that I care about in a game is the storyline and the character development. I admit that some of them probably do have this, but that isn't what the focus is in the game.

Then I hope you've never ever enjoyed playing Tetris, Sports games of any kind, DDR, Grand Theft Auto, or any fighting game...

Ranadiel wrote:
Another thing is that I honostly don't get what is so exciting about shooting things. I don't care for guns on a personal level that extends quite deep because they go against my code of honor, but I won't go into too much detail in order to save you all from a long rant. So to sum this point up I just don't enjoy shooting things.

I suppose another part of this is that I am not good at FPSs at all. Of course if you aren't good at somehting and don't enjoy it you aren't going to bother with getting better. Whenever I enter an FPS match(we play at school on occasion) I am always the fodder that everyone else kills off. However this is just a minor point.

I think these reasons are much more believable than your first. Some people get headaches when they play FPS games. Fair enough. Some people suck at the games, and because an FPS is competitive, it is bad being owned all the time.

However, the FPS genre has made leaps and bounds in the last three years... nowadays, you actually need to execute teamwork and strategy to win. The games are more than people in a ring shooting each other - instead, there are objectives to take, and missions to perform as you try to take a battlefield. You don't spawnkill people anymore because people respawn randomly, or in different places, or in a really safe starting location.

Probably one of the most difficult, but also one of the more exciting genres to play, in my opinion. You feel the thrill of gaming much more when you're on a battlefield. The tank's just been blown to pieces and you're the only engineer in the vicinity who can lay down the dynamite to blow apart the access point in the base bunker to let your soldiers through. As you're laying down the dynamite, a bullet whizzes past your head and you hit the dirt, and your teammate finds him and kills him. Just as y ou're about to arm the dynamite, someone storms into your room and throws a grenade. You nearly fall dead, but your medic backs you up by killing the intruder, patching you up with a medkit. The dynamite blows, and your fireteam is able to break through and secure the objective.

Of all game genres, the one I always come back to play is the FPS. Yes. A lot of FPS games suck. However, one thing to do is to make sure you dont' get phased by the fact that you get killed a lot. One essential property of the FPS game is to play against people who are roughly the same level as you are, or are willing to help you out, until you get comfortable with the controls and are able to shoot a gun and hit something. Best place to do this is at a LAN party. A good game to practice this with is Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, because it's an entirely free download that's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

I'm a strong believer that the story is not the only reason to play a game. RPG's, yes. There's nothing else to an RPG except for the story and the visual immersion that comes with it - occasionally you get a few games that have entertaining battle systems. Other games, like FPS games, sports games, and fighting games are best played in a multiplayer environment. If you have friends who'll play these games with you, you're going to get much more entertainment out of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: